Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

13 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

One thing I think Alex Smith is gonna bring is the experience of all the offenses and coordinators he's played under before. I fully expect him to be more of a complete QB mentally than KC is in that I think Smith will offer more leadership and expand the offense based on his level of confidence. Listening to Aaron Rodgers and Nick Foles talk about him gives me faith that we got a real competitor who will win for us. He's gonna elevate the games of everyone where as KC never really took off as the leader of this team for various reasons. I think Smith and Gruden are gonna really hit it off and it's gonna show on the field....I'd also be surprised if his teammates don't notice a huge difference.

I find it hard to believe that he's a supernatural leader when two coaches who seemed - generally speaking - to know what they are doing said, "Nope. I can't win what I want to win with that guy."

I think he's fine, but to believe that Alex Smith is going to change the Redskins' culture says more about the Redskins' culture than it does about Alex Smith.

1 minute ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I find it hard to believe that he's a supernatural leader when two coaches who seemed - generally speaking - to know what they are doing said, "Nope. I can't win what I want to win with that guy."

I think he's fine, but to believe that Alex Smith is going to change the Redskins' culture says more about the Redskins' culture than it does about Alex Smith.

Well I think part of what might have been holding Cousins back in the "leadership" department was the fact that he ultimately didn't want to be here.  You heard murmurs of this from D-Hall and someone else once the Cousins to the Vikings rumors were confirmed.  

How much of a leader is the team going to look at you as if they know you don't want to be here?

20 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

The first coach was wrong, we’ll see if the second is as well. 

16 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Well I think part of what might have been holding Cousins back in the "leadership" department was the fact that he ultimately didn't want to be here.  You heard murmurs of this from D-Hall and someone else once the Cousins to the Vikings rumors were confirmed.  

How much of a leader is the team going to look at you as if they know you don't want to be here?

DHall is arguably the biggest con man in NFL history. So, I'm not exactly going to take leadership advice from him.

"So and so is a bad leader" is what everyone says when they want to get rid of a player, but don't have any real argument to make. Michael Wilbon spent two years writing a weekly column about Brad Johnson's poor leadership. And then he immediately went to Tampa Bay, set team records, and won a Super Bowl.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Considering they are rolling out the red carpet for Alex Smith, the other options he had and the amount of money the Skins gave him to come here, I'm not surprised in the least that he's showing all this 'leadership'.

Like LKB said, I think that says a lot more about the Redskins than it does Alex or Kirk.

We'll see what type of leader he is, the first time he turns down a Coors Light from Bruce.

(I have no earthly idea what his religious background is. I just assume anyone who has ever spent longer than a week in Utah is a Mormon. President Trump and I have a lot more in common than I care to admit).

11 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

At Alex Smith's age you'd think he would be in the "done f'n around, I want to win" mode. If a bi-product of that is perceived leadership? So be it.

He did allude to that in his conversation with Larry Michael, that winning it all becomes even more of a focal point the older you get.  But I guess that's kind of what you'd expect anyways.  This is definitely going to be his last contract and he made out like a bandit, so I can't see any reasons for him to have any reservations about letting it rip.

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I get that teams have moved on from him for younger QB's but you can't ignore what former teammates say about Smith as a winner and his regular season record in KC was very good. Just saw that in his time with KC only Tom Brady and Russell Wilson have led their teams to more regular season wins. In his first season in KC the Chiefs got off to a 9-0 start...based on all of this, I'd say Alex Smith's leadership credentials are pretty solid and I'd put money on him being an upgrade over Cousins in that area. Cousins himself said he never felt comfortable asserting himself while Garcon and Jackson were with the Skins because they were more estblished vets than he was. I don't think Smith is gonna be an area of concern on this roster.

The issue I have with the Smith trade isnt neccessarily smith himself, its what we paid for him considering the volume of decent QBs on the market.  This offseason marked the biggest glut of decent QBs to hit free agency in a long time.  While Smith may be quite capable, essentially the decision was having Alex Smith, or having Kendall Fuller, a 3rd round player this year, $4-5 million in cap space, and a player like Case Keenum or A J McCarron.  Thats a lot to give up over the likes of Keenum and McCarron, who clearly are not as proven, but most people see them as at least average.  

No decision is a vacuum, and to me it was just too much given up for the difference gained.  Its essentially saying the talent difference between Keenum and Smith is $4-5 million per year, Kendall Fuller, and a 3rd round player.

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

The issue I have with the Smith trade isnt neccessarily smith himself, its what we paid for him considering the volume of decent QBs on the market.  This offseason marked the biggest glut of decent QBs to hit free agency in a long time.  While Smith may be quite capable, essentially the decision was having Alex Smith, or having Kendall Fuller, a 3rd round player this year, $4-5 million in cap space, and a player like Case Keenum or A J McCarron.  Thats a lot to give up over the likes of Keenum and McCarron, who clearly are not as proven, but most people see them as at least average.  

No decision is a vacuum, and to me it was just too much given up for the difference gained.  Its essentially saying the talent difference between Keenum and Smith is $4-5 million per year, Kendall Fuller, and a 3rd round player.

If we were going to use Fuller & a 3rd to improve our roster, I’d like to think it would be for something that wasn’t so readily available. As you said, Keenum & A.J. were there. Tyrod is fine. I’d rather have Tyrod for a year & Fuller than Smith for 3. 

This will be exceedingly unpopular, but I’d rather have $700,000 of Siemian with Fuller & a 3rd than Smith. I’d rather have Smith than Cousins, but we are not a threat to Philly in 2018/19 & should be preparing to beat on them when they have to hand Wentz the largest contract in nfl history. If we were going to compete with them now it was going to be because of Fuller & the guys who make life difficult on Wentz & the Cowboys. No one thinks this is a move that will make us contenders & I find that frustrating - given the cost.

Give me that money, Fuller & the pick. 

That said, welcome to Washington, Alex. Prove me wrong, it’s not an unfamiliar position. 

4 hours ago, volsmet said:

Give me that money, Fuller & the pick. 

I can't help but feel like the trade made us worse at every position involved. I like Alex Smith, and I think he's better than most give him credit for. I think he's more than a game manager. But we downgraded at QB, CB, and draft picks. 

Idon't care how much you save, I do not "pay resources" to downgrade positions. 

On 3/15/2018 at 9:52 AM, NoCalMike said:

At Alex Smith's age you'd think he would be in the "done f'n around, I want to win" mode. If a bi-product of that is perceived leadership? So be it.

Well he came to the right place ?

No but seriously, I want a QB who wants to win and one who wants to be here. I’m just not sure which of the two I’d prefer.

3 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

I'm not sure whether I think it's funny or sad. Splicing together two halves of different plays and trying to present them as new highlights strikes me as tacky.

3 hours ago, Vilandil Tasardur said:

I can't help but feel like the trade made us worse at every position involved. I like Alex Smith, and I think he's better than most give him credit for. I think he's more than a game manager. But we downgraded at QB, CB, and draft picks. 

Idon't care how much you save, I do not "pay resources" to downgrade positions. 

Wouldn't see Alex as a downgrade from Kirk, close to a wash in my eyes although Alex seems to be a stronger leader.  That said it is a false comparison because it assumes the option was Alex or Kirk when in truth Kirk was gone already, the refusal to entertain offers until after FA opened was as clear as he could be about wanting out.

So no we didn't downgrade at QB because Alex is 10 times the QB Colt McCoy is and that is who we would have been left with.  Tyrod cost the first pick in the 3rd round and is not close to the player Alex is, AJ McCarron and the other free agents would have been placeholders at best and also would have cost us comp picks next year.  We upgraded at QB for the cost of a DB and a pick, well worth the price as without a viable QB we would be headed for 2 or 3 wins and no I have no interest in tanking for picks, I want us to focus on winning now every season, tanking is for losers.

10 hours ago, NickyJ said:

I'm not sure whether I think it's funny or sad. Splicing together two halves of different plays and trying to present them as new highlights strikes me as tacky.

I havent heard the word tacky in forever.........however I tend to agree.:229:

15 minutes ago, Tay said:

Basically 3 yr/ 20M per. Seems like a great deal. 

Any additional info about the guarantees?  If the 71M was right, I'm guessing 10 of it is rolled out to 2021?

Edit: I just read an article that said he's going to make 40M+ this season as there is 27M in signing bonus.  I know they can move that stuff around, but I'm still curious how the cap hits come out as listed above given that.

47 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Any additional info about the guarantees?  If the 71M was right, I'm guessing 10 of it is rolled out to 2021?

Edit: I just read an article that said he's going to make 40M+ this season as there is 27M in signing bonus.  I know they can move that stuff around, but I'm still curious how the cap hits come out as listed above given that.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/alex-smith-3337/

BONUS BREAKDOWN CAP DETAILS CASH DETAILS  
YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH  
2018 Contract details by year 33 $13,000,000 $5,400,000 $18,400,000 $55,000,000 $40,000,000($40,000,000)  
2019 Contract details by year 34 $15,000,000 $5,400,000 $20,400,000 $42,000,000 $15,000,000($55,000,000)  
2020 Contract details by year 35 $16,000,000 $5,400,000 $21,400,000 $20,250,000 $16,000,000($71,000,000)  

POTENTIAL OUT: 2021, 3 YR, $71,000,000; $13,500,000 DEAD CAP

2021 Contract details by year 36 $19,000,000 $5,400,000 $24,400,000 $13,500,000 $19,000,000($90,000,000)  
2022 Contract details by year 37 $21,000,000 $5,400,000 $26,400,000 $6,750,000 $21,000,000($111,000,000)  

I thought he was due $17.1 this year but maybe I'm wrong... or they re-worked it? 

Just now, Peregrine said:

I agree. I have nothing against Smith as I feel he is a capable QB, but personally I would have waited until FA. I mean they way the Redskins went about this is like Smith is the only option when all you needed was a fill in for a year or two while you build. Hate to loose young good cheap players. Maybe they thought getting Smith will appease the fan base after loosing KC. I do not see us winning the Super Bowl with Smith or KC.

Archived