Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Trade Thread (Details Inside)

CRobi21

6 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I personally have stopped caring what teams are ready to offer Cousins what contract. It wasn't a fit here, whether we didn't want him for the price, he didn't want us, or both. We now have a comparable QB - albeit 4 years older - at a price we were willing to spend and under contract for half a decade. I'm content (not over the moon) with where we stand in THIS offense at the QB position for the next 2-3 years. I assume we'll draft an heir apparent next year or the following year and hope to move forward with stability there. 

I'm much more interested in how the off-season pans out around filling other holes on this team. QB wasn't the primary reason we lost 9 games last year and it won't be the primary reason we lose the majority of the games we lose this coming year. That will depend on how we beef up the DL, fill out the WRs, find elements of a running game, fortify the secondary, etc. 

this is kinda my take too. I was never in love with Kirk but liked the idea of stability at QB and i didn't fault him for losing the games. 

i loved that he could stay healthy and run Jay's system. the numbers he put up like 4000 yards didn't impress me as much because i wanted us to be a Gibbs type team with a 1200 yard rusher instead of 4000 yards. Maybe Gruden isn't the guy for that though. But i still wonder why we couldn't run with our "great" offensive line, multiple running backs and defenses seemingly set on stopping the pass. 

i hated this trade and still do when I'm forced to acknowledge it exists when talking football with friends. But at this point all i can do is question what it means. Will we get a third back by trading down ( which i see as much more likely than trading Kirk), will our 2018 picks be as good as last year? How good do coaches feel about Hosley and Moreau? How does K. Smith feel about this year's group of corners? Can anybody else cover the slot? 

This all has an air of “get over yourself” what qb in the league determines who their GM is or isn’t while under contract? I mean really. He’s got the right but GOY.....I think Kirk took it personally the fact we didn’t believe he was worth 27+ M with a ton fully guaranteed, bottom line. And Never made a 22-25 offer after 16. It was over then, we shoulda traded him.

And I wanted him signed btw, 2 years ago or traded last year. I believe he is better than Alex w/ upside. But I don’t believe he was worth it either really. I understand the way we played it.

But the nail on the head was the day

we traded for Alex, before I knew that, I heard Kirk at the Super Bowl in an interview on radio on my way home from work. He was relishing hanging us over a cliff. Smiling through the mic, I said to myself, yeah he’s got the right, BUT, F this guy. I was and have been a huge fan of his, But you know what, I’m a Redskins fan first, he was dead to me at that moment. I get home looking to share the story and boom Alex arrived. Crazy.

No hate, good luck KC, but HTTR in poor management or good  management w/ Kirk or without Kirk. 

4 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

this is kinda my take too. I was never in love with Kirk but liked the idea of stability at QB and i didn't fault him for losing the games. 

i loved that he could stay healthy and run Jay's system. the numbers he put up like 4000 yards didn't impress me as much because i wanted us to be a Gibbs type team with a 1200 yard rusher instead of 4000 yards. Maybe Gruden isn't the guy for that though. But i still wonder why we couldn't run with our "great" offensive line, multiple running backs and defenses seemingly set on stopping the pass. 

i hated this trade and still do when I'm forced to acknowledge it exists when talking football with friends. But at this point all i can do is question what it means. Will we get a third back by trading down ( which i see as much more likely than trading Kirk), will our 2018 picks be as good as last year? How good do coaches feel about Hosley and Moreau? How does K. Smith feel about this year's group of corners? Can anybody else cover the slot? 

I think Holsey will surprise many this upcoming year.  I'd love to see Michel from Georgia be the RB we draft this year.  Somehow; someway I'd like either Lauletta or White drafted to groom under Smith, preferably Lauletta.

10 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

But why would Kirk agree to this?

1. Why would he limit his suitors from 6 or so to 1?

2. Why would he help the Skins?

3. Why would he hurt his knee team by making them give up an asset to get him?

1. 34 million reasons why

2. It's not about helping the Skins, see point 1

3. Bc at the end of the day it's about point number 1

Again, I have no "feelings" about Kirk. I'm simply not as sold on that golly gee bit. That's all. We'll get a bigger insight into things once Kirk is out the door. I'm sure this was not one sided. 

But lets just go back a little:

This is what Kirk wrote about his experience getting drafted by the Redskins:

“I was surprised and a bit disappointed,” Cousins wrote. “My agent was shocked.”

He said his family and friends tried to lift his spirits after the call from Shanahan in what should have been a joyous moment in his life. “But at the moment it didn’t help me,” Cousins wrote. “I was hoping for a chance to compete for a starting position soon, but I would not have that opportunity in Washington, and that was very disappointing.”

Didn't want to be here from the start. Most players would have be ecstatic to be drafted. I get the competitiveness, but really? He actually had the gull to act like he'd arrived and that he was a coveted QB coming out of college?

Funny how once he got the opportunity, he busted and got benched. But all's well that ends well. He got another opportunity and made the best of it. 

So we all know the history of Kirk's time here.

Did he ever win a playoff game? No.

Was there an overarching confidence that Kirk could put the team on his shoulders? No

In the waning moments of the game, did you have confidence that Kirk would drive the team down the field for a game winner? Hell No.

Me liking or disliking Kirk has nothing to do with it. Kirk has always been a numbers QB. Big numbers with average results. The only reason Kirk can demand the $$ is because the market dictates it. 

Here's a quote by a very likable guy (Chris Thompson) that seems to be more forthcoming than Kirk. He's talking about Kirk as it relates to whether Kirk wanted to be here or not:  "I think everybody got some mixed messages; I will say that"

So Kirk may have been fully committed to playing football...just not with the Redskins. I know another guy named Albert that took the money a couple years ago but was never really committed to the Skins. I will say that Kirk played well during his time here. But the bottom line is, he was too wishy washy about being here. The Redskins had to make a decision for the team, since Kirk was unsure of himself.

In my opinion and despite all the media speculation surrounding this whole process...I don't think there was anything Allen could have done to sign this kid 2 years ago or any other time during Kirk's tenure here. Even Kirk spoke about that last year (regarding the 2017 tag).

We should have drafted Leveon Bell!

Ironically, Kirk told Shanahan that before the draft.

Kirk wouldn't be limiting his suitors as the Skins could negotiate with any team.  And in fact if the Skins were to franchise and tade him and he still maintained his "I want free agency" stance he's probably be cutting his new team out of the deal

Thanks for your post, joeken24, I didn't know what Kirk said and thought after he was drafted. It puts everything into perspective for me regarding Kirk's mindset about the Redskins. Obviously he's a self promoter. 

I am happy to have Alex on the team. I think this trade stabilizes the team going into free agency and the draft. Looking forward to this offseason to see how the team develops.

11 hours ago, joeken24 said:

This is what Kirk wrote about his experience getting drafted by the Redskins:

“I was surprised and a bit disappointed,” Cousins wrote. “My agent was shocked.”

He said his family and friends tried to lift his spirits after the call from Shanahan in what should have been a joyous moment in his life. “But at the moment it didn’t help me,” Cousins wrote. “I was hoping for a chance to compete for a starting position soon, but I would not have that opportunity in Washington, and that was very disappointing.”

Didn't want to be here from the start. Most players would have be ecstatic to be drafted. I get the competitiveness, but really? He actually had the gull to act like he'd arrived and that he was a coveted QB coming out of college?

This is what you call making a mountain out of a molehill to make yourself feel better about the thought that haunts the back of your mind, Kirk going on to do great things while this franchise continues to do Bruce things.

The team literally just spent 3 1st round picks in the very same draft to move up and acquire a quarterback.  Every player wants to go to a team where they at least have a chance to play.  Given what the Redskins just gave up, he knew damn well that his only legit shot to play would be due to injury.  Sure if you're a fringe NFL guy just hoping to make a team in camp, you're happy just to be recognized.  But if you're a competitor, you want a chance to play.  It doesn't mean you think you've arrived and are entitled to be the man. 

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Thanks for your post, joeken24, I didn't know what Kirk said and thought after he was drafted. It puts everything into perspective for me regarding Kirk's mindset about the Redskins. Obviously he's a self promoter. 

I am happy to have Alex on the team. I think this trade stabilizes the team going into free agency and the draft. Looking forward to this offseason to see how the team develops.

Very well said ladyskinsfan..and yes thanks to joeken24 it helps me with everything.  I never knew this bit..almost starting to feel a sense of relief now the closer we get to Kirk being outta here. 

The roots of Kirk Cousins' uneasy marriage with the Redskins

"The theme of his athletic life, though, continued when the draft came around. The NFL's interest was lukewarm. When the Redskins selected him with the 102nd pick in 2012-exactly 100 picks after Griffin-he couldn't hide his disappointment. His parents' living room felt more like a funeral parlor. "Dad, I'm at a complete dead end," he said. He knew he wouldn't even be allowed to compete for the job. "I remember telling him, there is a reason you were picked," Dantonio says. "People don't usually do this. They must feel pretty good about you."

In the years that followed, he gradually changed perceptions. He kept his mouth shut in quarterback meetings while Griffin slowly began to lose allies. "Robert was a diva to everyone, not just Kirk," Mike Shanahan says. "His teammates all knew. Kirk handled that situation like a pro, and all his teammates could see it.""

The Kirk Cousins story may be the defining Redskins' story of the Snyder Era. Because it reveals everything that is this organization at its core.

1. He is drafted the same year as RGIII, who was acquired via an insane trade. Snyder loves making big splashes. However, Cousins was drafted 3 rounds later, because Shanahan had reservations about RGIII and wanted to assert the fact that he was still in control. No team in their right mind would have drafted a QB in the the 4th round after making that deal. But our head coach had control or thought he did and wanted to one-up the owner who loved shiny objects.

2. RGIII. We aren't allowed to have nice things. I still feel like RGIII flamed out because he was a diva with a front office who feeds all the worst instincts of divas. He had a coach who was stubbornly trying to prove something and put an injured player in a game. And because the field was a disaster, because why should the most valuable franchise in pro sports have an acceptable playing surface?

3. Here comes Kirk. And he's ok. But he was leftover in the ugly divorce from Shanahan and Gruden - a QB guru - is given a QB that he didn't pick and the front office didn't want.

4. Or did they? We hire a drunk for GM, because of course we did. But he's sort of brilliant and saw something in Kirk and apparently pegged his value correctly. But because front office politics trump all with the Skins, the player is never extended and the drunk GM is fired in a very ugly fashion and is trashed on the way out the door because the Skins trash everyone on the way out of the door.

5. So, now it's Bruce, Kirk, and Kirk's agent. And Bruce is not a football guy so much as he's a contracts guy. Because for some reason, nearly 20 years into the Snyder era, financial discipline is the name of the game. Bruce has a number and he's sticking to that number come hell or high water. Granted, he paid salary based on the franchise tag that wildly exceeded his number, but somehow this constitutes winning.

6. Also, Bruce clearly hates Kirk, because why not? If a high-profile player is not being overly coddled by the front office, he is being openly mocked by the front office. It's how we roll.

7. Somehow, all this madness turned hard-working, underdog 4th rounder success story into a bit of weird diva. Because the Skins are poison. Absolute poison.

8. Finally, we seem to make a clean break with a somewhat inexplicable but also strangely defensible trade, because - again - we like being splashy. Basically, we traded for a Kirk that Bruce likes.

9. So, it looks like it's over. But nothing is ever over with the Skins. The Skins still need to win off the field. Bruce still needs to win the negotiation that he lost so badly that it is honestly going to impact the way QBs are treated for the next 20 years. Every agent in football saw how much money Kirk has made and will make by betting on himself with a franchise tag and has filed that knowledge away for safe keeping. But like Dusty Rhodes and Ole Anderson, it will never be over until one of them is out of this sport, baby.

10. The fans have to choose sides between the player who won't be here and doesn't want to be here and the current front office, because why not split your fanbase in two over off-the field issues? It's the Skins' way. I mean, Chris Cooley - who has been Cousins biggest backer for years - now seems giddy at the Skins screwing with a player because they can. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside. Come inside.

@Lombardi's_kid_brother Several folks are going to read that and say "but a-ha, it's not that simple, blah blah blah" in an effort to downplay the organizations contributions and probably accuse you of being victim to 'groupthink' and the toxic, vulture-like media.  Even though both you and I know that it doesn't require much from the media to compose that sad timeline.

2 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Well Jimmy Grabsapiilow just got $137.5 million over 5 years from the 49ers so that is going to be the minimum offer required by the bidding teams to even get a counter from Kirk's agent.  Probably rules Denver out already.

With Jimmy G getting that kind of money our front office looks like even bigger morons when you think of what we could have signed Cousins for 2 years ago.Dam fools!

15 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Well Jimmy Grabsapiilow just got $137.5 million over 5 years from the 49ers so that is going to be the minimum offer required by the bidding teams to even get a counter from Kirk's agent.  Probably rules Denver out already.

We'll see if it's truly not about the money with Kirk. 

3 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

@Lombardi's_kid_brother  Kudos for working the American Dream, Dusty Rhodes, and one of the Four Horsemen, Ole, into that wonderfully written summary.

Made me chuckle.

I'm quoting a bloody Dusty from a locker room in the Omni in Atlanta in 1978 or 1979. I can't remember which.

If you ever want to kill an afternoon, look up "The Big Turn of 1980" on Youtube. It's one of the ten best wrestling angles ever. And one of the few times you will ever see fans trying to climb a cage to attack the wrestlers.

16 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

With Jimmy G getting that kind of money our front office looks like even bigger morons when you think of what we could have signed Cousins for 2 years ago.Dam fools!

Pretty sure his agent would be back at the table looking for a new deal by now

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Something like 10 starts and this dude is now the highest paid player in league history.  :ols: Where's the peanut gallery to go off about how 'he's nowhere near the best so you cannot pay him like he is nor build around him' crowd at?

Probably at The Peanut Farm in Anchorage Alaska.

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Pretty sure his agent would be back at the table looking for a new deal by now

A lot of variables go into all that.  Can't come back to the table until it's time to do so.

But no matter what, the moral of the story here combining what the Skins paid a 34 year old Alex and what the 49ers paid a seldom seen Jimmy G, quarterback salaries ain't going down.  The earlier you make a decision and lock a guy in the better.

Archived