Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Workout Thread III

15 hours ago, Springfield said:

That's a good point @purbeast. I've never done CrossFit though myself. It would probably kick my ass the first few times.

I've been working out with better form and less weight. I'm talking bicep curls on and inclined bench at like 20-25 lbs. Isolating the biceps as much as possible. I've only been focusing on that specifically over the last month or so, but I really credit it to helping the biceps gains. Dumbbell bench press I've really been working on going slow while also adding progressively more weight.

Right now my neck is ****ed. I think it's something I'm just going to be living with. My C5-6 disc has something wrong with it, I forget exactly what because the hell if I'm going to consider spinal surgery on my neck. But basically I have to be careful with how I exert myself. I was playing with the kids (5 and 4) and they were crawling all over me, hanging off of me and it really strained my neck. I stretch and message the upper back and neck muscles so damn much these days just to keep up my spinal mobility which helps (and overall helps in general). Stretching is key friends! ****ing key.

Foam rolling?

5 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Isn't the purpose of good form to get the maximum benefit of the action?  If I put too much weight on my dumbbells and then curl them with poor form putting my back into it, I'm not really working my biceps as intended.

Correct.  Which is why I mention that if you are doing poor form and "cheating" to lift heavier weight, the only one you are cheating is yourself.  

I'd also argue that it will make you more susceptive to injury since you are lifting heavier weight that you are able to lift properly.  

As someone who ****ed up his lower back doing squats wrong many years ago, it pains me when I see these frail skinny guys trying to deadlift way more than they should be, completely bending their backs the wrong way, just waiting for a disc to pop.  

The past 2 days at my gym I've seen multiple people wearing masks below their nose and I've said something to the staff. Yesterday the staff told the one guy who was doing it kind of near me and he pulled his mask back up. Like 10 minutes later he had it back down. Today I saw him again and he had it down. I wasn't working out near him at all today or yesterday after the staff talked to him.

So when I left today I said something again to the front desk about how like 5-6 people were wearing masks below their nose while working out and they were thankful that I brought it to their attention.

If they don't get on top of this and I see more people working out like that tomorrow I'm going to shoot corporate an email about it. All they need to do is just have one person walk around the floor every 10 minutes or so and tell people to pull it up if they aren't wearing it properly. And if their are repeat offenders they need to be told to leave if they won't abide.

20 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Nobody wears a mask at planet fitness other than me. Every now and then I'll see 1-2 people wearing mask but everybody else just walks around like there isn't **** going on in the world. 

Where you at?  That seems kind of crazy.  They have signs all over the LA Fitness I go to saying they are mandatory and it's against the law to take it off.  

But that isn't stopping some people from pulling them down below their nose.

Like if you are going to go through the hassle of wearing a mask, just ****ing wear it properly.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

I stopped going to the gym awhile ago because of all the BS there. 

I’ve been using the X3 Bar at home. I have no idea if the science behind it is real or not but I’ve gotten great results. 

So these industrial strength heavy duty resistance bands that have several hundred pounds of resistance combine with a metal bar and floor plate and allow you to do 8 different exercises that hit every muscle group. you do 4 exercises one day and 4 the next day. Each exercise is one set to fatigue. That’s it. I do 2 sets just for extra results. 

But I finish my workouts in 10-15 minutes now which is great. I also feel completely exhausted and my muscles feel the same exhaustion/pump that I would get from an hour and a half at the gym. 

I love it. My arms have gotten the best results particularly my triceps but I’ve also seen good definition and bulk increases in my chest, shoulders, traps and lats. The dude that created it seems like a kook so I don’t know if all the weird stuff he says is legit but I got it on a trial and just from experience, I decided to keep it and have been happy so far 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

I'm still going to my gym 4x a week.  Seeing some nice gainz.

I pulled my hammy slightly again today after pulling it like 2 weeks ago doing stiff leg deadlifts.  I thought I tore it it hurt so bad.  But thankfully the next day it was alright and I thought it was fully healed and went  light today on them, but on my 7th rep first set I pulled it again.  This was my last leg exercise and I did squats and leg presses pretty heavy with no issue.  Very strange but I'm pretty much done with them for at least 2 months.

Xmas eve I went at my normal time (9:30am) and it was so crowded you wouldn't even know there was a pandemic.  They were only open from 8am-12pm so everyone was rushing I guess.  I'm shocked they let that many people in there.

I was feeling kind of half assed from drinking the night before so I did like 2 exercises and was like **** this I'm out.

Edited by purbeast

Gym hasn’t been incredibly crowded, but the PF I go to has been ok about making sure people don’t get too close to each other’s. Annoyingly so at times. Only 3 incline benches to do free weights at, which kinda sucks. Get it where you can I suppose.

still 50/50 times on masks. I wear a UA sport mask the whole time, but people take them off when on treadmills and stuff.

Been doing garage Crossfit with 2 of my neighbors. Programming from streetparking.com which is 1/10 the cost of my former box, so Ive put that into acquiring equipment. 

Here is the pile from a month or so ago. 

18E21C67-B2EB-4FCC-B244-744787A5B617.jpeg

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1

I’d doing:

(1) aerobic running and intervals, either on the treadmill or outside on the trail

(2) body-weight exercises; multiple plank variants, Superman, iron cross, bridge variants and other core work.

(3) dumbbells for upper body as well as lunges and squats.

• Like 1

Been rehabbing for almost 7 months from two surgeries: torn hip labrum (June 18th), right shoulder clean up from a previous surgery (September 3rd). Never been so out of shape in all my life. In the meantime I have convert my garage to my gym. Haven’t been able to do much in the way of heavy lifting but also put in gym flooring so my son and I can do taekwondo together. I started 2 weeks ago. He’s been doing it a longer. The sign was a Christmas gift. Probably put up a monitor at some point. I’m never joining a gym again. 

F2F71648-59DE-4E4B-8F1B-4D32A80A5B3A.jpeg

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Any recs for an exercise bike?

Keep in mind I'm not a baller like PB, so Peloton isn't an option.

Whatever bike you get, you should still consider the peloton app. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also their app is free for the first two months right now. So definitely worth at least trying. I love peloton

Just finished up a 1.65 mile jog. Gonna ease into this routine. I hit it hard after getting covid in October and that was great but work got in the way and I just stopped. So. Back to it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, tshile said:

Also their app is free for the first two months right now. So definitely worth at least trying. I love peloton

My wife is a very competitive runner, teaches exercise classes at different levels, coaches other runners and is a real student of the latest ideas in exercise science.

She and some of her training buddies recently signed up for Peleton (not the bike) so it must be damn impressive.

On 12/29/2020 at 5:20 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I stopped going to the gym awhile ago because of all the BS there. 

I’ve been using the X3 Bar at home. I have no idea if the science behind it is real or not but I’ve gotten great results. 

So these industrial strength heavy duty resistance bands that have several hundred pounds of resistance combine with a metal bar and floor plate and allow you to do 8 different exercises that hit every muscle group. you do 4 exercises one day and 4 the next day. Each exercise is one set to fatigue. That’s it. I do 2 sets just for extra results. 

But I finish my workouts in 10-15 minutes now which is great. I also feel completely exhausted and my muscles feel the same exhaustion/pump that I would get from an hour and a half at the gym. 

I love it. My arms have gotten the best results particularly my triceps but I’ve also seen good definition and bulk increases in my chest, shoulders, traps and lats. The dude that created it seems like a kook so I don’t know if all the weird stuff he says is legit but I got it on a trial and just from experience, I decided to keep it and have been happy so far 

Keep posting your progress, I'm kind of intrigued by these and was thinking about getting one.  

13 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

My wife is a very competitive runner, teaches exercise classes at different levels, coaches other runners and is a real student of the latest ideas in exercise science.

She and some of her training buddies recently signed up for Peleton (not the bike) so it must be damn impressive.

They offer quite a bit. To the point where I’d you’re looking for a bike but don’t have it yet, still sign up and use the app while it’s free and see if you like it. 

You do need to spend time figuring out which programs and trainers you like. Someone who’s done programs like that before will find this easier than someone like me for whom this was the first time. Every now and then I take a break from the trainers because every now and then I just find the whole thing nauseating (the constant positive preaching). So I take a break for a few weeks. I think that’s just a me problem though. Most of their chick trainers are hot lol

As for the bike itself... when I was researching it before buying the basically came down to: they make a good bike and they put a good display on it. If you try to build something yourself at the same level of quality you’re gonna spend just as much (excluding finding excellent deals or excellent used bikes for cheap)

just saying I believe their bike is competitively priced. 

Also I need a new 7’ bar and they’re sold out everywhere thanks to all the people wanting to work out that’ll stop by February. 

so, gonna try again next month.