Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Workout Thread III

Spaceman Spiff

2 hours ago, tone_dubbz said:

Co-worker tore his MCL on his motorcycle, started IF because he was physically limited of what he could do at the gym.  Seemed to be pretty effective as far as losing weight. 

I lost roughly 6-7 lbs. this summer by not eating and was ripped.  Kind of gave the illusion that I was getting bigger, but I was actually losing weight and the definition in my muscles were real noticeable.  Kayak fishing in the sun almost everyday curbed my appetite, and was also great exercise while still hitting the gym 5 days a week.  And the killer sun tan I got made my muscles more aesthetically pleasing.

You spend at least 20 minutes a day looking in the mirror at your muscles. Admit it. 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

I believe it’s 5 seconds lowering, 3 second pause, then back up. Sounds miserable 

Ah, that’s sounds pretty brutal.  I try to do something similar with bench but haven’t done anything like that with squats.

With squats I just try to be as explosive when I’m pushing up.  If he weight is light enough then I try to push through and basically jump a little at the end.  Granted, this is on a smith machine, not free standing.

Maybe it's the only cage free at his gym? I have that problem at my smaller gym sometimes. 

Edit..and holy **** those pelotons are pricey. Just looked them up since people mentioned them and I've seen the commercials 1000x over the holidays. 😁

Edited by The Evil Genius

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Maybe it's the only cage free at his gym? I have that problem at my smaller gym sometimes. 

Edit..and holy **** those pelotons are pricey. Just looked them up since people mentioned them and I've seen the commercials 1000x over the holidays. 😁

And there is a monthly subscription fee of like $60. 

4 hours ago, Springfield said:

Ah, that’s sounds pretty brutal.  I try to do something similar with bench but haven’t done anything like that with squats.

With squats I just try to be as explosive when I’m pushing up.  If he weight is light enough then I try to push through and basically jump a little at the end.  Granted, this is on a smith machine, not free standing.

It brutal as hell. A good way to get some volume tho. 

Some have squat racks but that’s rare. 

21 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I thought PF didn't even have free weights in general.  That's not true?  They must if they have smith machines.

I also heard their dumbells only go up to 50lbs, which isn't very heavy.

No free weights, bench and squat on smith machine.  Dumbells up to 65 lbs.  I mix it up with chest between dumbbells and Smith machine.  I’m not swole enough to need anything heavier than 50 for chest press with dumbbells.  A bench and free weights can work out all my main groups.  Plus, they have a two cable machines for other exercises.  Also, I go by myself and I don’t wanna bother anyone to spot me.

Treadmills or stationary bikes there work just fine for cardio.

$10 a month, plus it’s VERY convenient to use right when I get off of work.  That’s the main reason I’m going to PF.

All of my real money goes to playing hockey in 2 different leagues.  $400-500 per team, two seasons per year. So basically, $1800-2000 per year in hockey dues.  Plus equipment upgrades and replacements every now and again.  ****s expensive.

Edited by Springfield

4 hours ago, purbeast said:

Damn that sucks.  I couldn't do that.  Free weights are the most important part of lifting weights.

I feel like I’m getting more than my money’s worth.  I go 5 times a week, for about an hour and a half at a time.  I’m definitely stronger and more defined than I was when I signed up like 2 1/2 years ago.

I need to cut weight now.  That’s my main focus for the new year and that’s an eating thing, not a workout thing.

Just got back from the gym. Been going steady for like six months now. Definitely feel a difference--had to go down a pant size is the biggest one. More definition, but still need to keep cutting weight. Diet is my achilles-I like food. But my wife has made a good assist by not stocking my favorite snacks in the house. Almost got derailed by back spasms but I got a really good physical therapist and the treatments are working great. I just want to keep going regularly. My friend the Cardiologist said 22 minutes/day is the minimum they ask you to do. I'm pretty good about that now. 22 minutes seems like a blink now-when I started it was a grind. Good times. We should all be exercise accountabilibuddies. 

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I don't know how you guys have the time to be at the gym that long that many days a week. I'm pretty sure at least a couple of y'all have kids. 

I have two kids.  Drop them off at my moms house at like 6:45 in the morning, go to work from 7-5, then hit the gym until about 6:30 pm.  Pick up the kids and get home around 7:00.  Eat dinner and put the kids to bed around 8:00 or so.  If I’m lucky, I get an 11:30 pm hockey game to top it all off.

So basically, I get 5 hours with my kids a week until the weekend.  Some Saturdays I have to work as well.