Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Workout Thread III

Spaceman Spiff

28 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

That is how I got in the habit. Would wake up early to go to the apt gym and just do 20 minutes on a precor machine and stretch. 

Eventually that hat got me to getting in the real gym (Lifetime in Cary NC) at 6

Do you go to the giant fancy lifetime? If yes, Is it worth it? I went to one of those while up in Philly over the weekend and it was awesome. I currently go to the one on six forks but the giant fancy one on falls is not far.

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

Do you go to the giant fancy lifetime? If yes, Is it worth it? I went to one of those while up in Philly over the weekend and it was awesome. I currently go to the one on six forks but the giant fancy one on falls is not far.

Yea I do and I really like it. After the recent renovation there are plenty of weights/squat racks, first class basketball courts, even when busy you can get whatever you want done and it is very family friendly. 

• Like 1

Y'all must be some ballers going to Lifetime. The one around be was quoting me a hundred something a month. The only thing they had going over other gyms was basketball courts. Don't love basketball enough to pay over 70+ a month than what I pay now.

12 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

How do ya'll reliably tell how much you actually weigh?  I can get on four different scales and get four different readings (analog and digital).  It's frustrating, I know I'm making progress, just no idea how much.

Same scale at the same time of day. Mornings after you handle your bathroom business.

39 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Y'all must be some ballers going to Lifetime. The one around be was quoting me a hundred something a month. The only thing they had going over other gyms was basketball courts. Don't love basketball enough to pay over 70+ a month than what I pay now.

Same scale at the same time of day. Mornings after you handle your bathroom business.

Mine in Raleigh is $30 a month. I only belong to one that is one of their lesser clubs. 

So I've been trying to eat better and prepack food and veggies for the work day. But I have to ask..wtf do you people eat M-F for breakfast?

I'm gluten intolerant so that rules out breads for the most part...I have my coffee and I've been doing yogurt (even making it an Insta-pot)..but I have to be honest..I think my biggest hunger comes before 11am. 

I can do eggs..but they get old. Any suggestions?

15 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

So I've been trying to eat better and prepack food and veggies for the work day. But I have to ask..wtf do you people eat M-F for breakfast?

I'm gluten intolerant so that rules out breads for the most part...I have my coffee and I've been doing yogurt (even making it an Insta-pot)..but I have to be honest..I think my biggest hunger comes before 11am. 

Greek yogurt.  Sometimes I add a cut up banana.  I eat a **** ton of greek yogurt.  I bring a 32 oz tub to work every Monday and leave it in the fridge, that is enough to last me the week.  

Sometimes my wife makes overnight oats.  http://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/berry-banana-overnight-oats

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Yeah, we make Greek yogurt at home a lot. But it gets old. Maybe I'll try oats again, the problem I have comes with the cross contamination that occurs when it's harvested. Buying certified gluten free oats is hecka expensive too.

You are way pickier than me. :ols:

Make greek yogurt?  I buy that **** from the store.

23 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

You are way pickier than me. :ols:

Make greek yogurt?  I buy that **** from the store.

Food allergies. Plus you can control the sugar content more easily. Also it's better for the environment (if you are into that type of thing).

+ with an Insta-pot, it's easy. But yeah...it's kind of weird to cop too. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Nothing.  Cup of coffee with cream and sugar and water only until lunch which is at like 12:00-1:00.  Recently (as in the last month) started this.  Intermittent fasting (IF) is what it’s called, although I doubt I follow it to a tee.

Before IF, I had a Fiber One Oats and Chocolate.  I’ve never been much of a breakfast guy and the whole “breakfast is the most important meal of the day” thing is bs to me.

Been thinking about getting an Apple Watch Series 3 for all of my activity tracking and music streaming while at the gym.  Anyone have experience?

I used to not eat breakfast and, in fact, it took a surprising amount of effort and discipline to get into the habit of eating breakfast.  I used to just pound coffee.  But if I try to go to the gym during lunch, i have to go before i eat a big meal and I find that I have no gas in the tank to get a good workout in. 

Another question:

I was on the elliptical for an hour today, but it said I did 4 miles.  What should I be shooting for in terms of distance in an hour?  This is the second time I've done it each week, and each time the machine tells me after an hour to get off, take a break, and re-evaluate my life.  I like it because it doesn't hurt my knees the way running and exercise bikes do, but can't tell if its actually as or more efficient.  Feel I maybe should focus on staying at or about 4.5, but I don't want to run on that thing, that doesn't sound right.

15 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

It's good that you're taking note of the time you get hungry. Plan on eating, say, 10:30 so you don't get really hungry and, maybe, act impulsively. 

For my kids' lunch (not gluten intolerant) they like thin rice cakes, so we put PB&J on the rice cakes. Peanuts, cashews, almonds are another good snack—full of protein and some fats (not necessarily the bad kind). 

Can you eat lean meat for breakfast? Beef or chicken?

I think I mentioned in the RTT, for breakfast cup of coffee and I eat a whole grain english muffin with PB or a scrambled egg with spinach/peppers on it. Then I plan to snack around 11. I usually bring a portion bag of something. Chips or something healthier. They sell small bags of chips in 100 calorie servings now. Also, if you don't want to go through the prep for veggies buy one of those party platters with the cut up veggies. 

Edited by Elessar78

19 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

3 eggs white one yolk, with, or, protein pancakes (egg powder, whey protein, oatmeal).

Another breakfast: 50g oat cream, 1 egg, 2 whites, 1 crushed banana, 1 soup spoon of coconut oil, 100g of applesauce.

Top 10 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Coconut Oil

8 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Another question:

I was on the elliptical for an hour today, but it said I did 4 miles.  What should I be shooting for in terms of distance in an hour?  This is the second time I've done it each week, and each time the machine tells me after an hour to get off, take a break, and re-evaluate my life.  I like it because it doesn't hurt my knees the way running and exercise bikes do, but can't tell if its actually as or more efficient.  Feel I maybe should focus on staying at or about 4.5, but I don't want to run on that thing, that doesn't sound right.

Whenever I do the elliptical, I do intervals.  Minute walking, minute or 2 minutes going much harder.  I don't look at distance, I look at how sweaty my shirt is when I'm done.  

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Whenever I do the elliptical, I do intervals.  Minute walking, minute or 2 minutes going much harder.  I don't look at distance, I look at how sweaty my shirt is when I'm done.  

Yea, me as well. Plus I try and take my hands off the bars as much as possible.

This morning, 20 minutes of HIIT on the rowing machine.  3 x 5 clean and presses with a 70 pound kettlebell.  100 pushups.  Wanted to do more but was running out of time.

On 1/18/2018 at 10:59 AM, The Evil Genius said:

i work out on an empty stomach before work, then have a protein shake right after.