Sign in to follow this  
Spaceman Spiff

Workout Thread III

35 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I powerlift. What's this volume thing you guys are talking about?

Kidding.

Well, half way kidding.

Sort of kidding.

But really, I'm kidding.

Lifting. It's what I do at the gym in between sets of Netflix. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Yeah. I read all of Greg's site's stuff. And Dr. Mike's stuff.

The key to volume, though, based on what I've experienced and read, is that constant volume isn't helpful either. At some point you push yourself to the point where adaptation is only happening with extremely long sessions and ridiculous sets. Your fitness increases, but so does your fatigue. So you'll see diminishing returns.

Deloads, weeks off, etc. help reduce fatigue and also a touch of fitness. But that slight reduction allows you to kick back the volume back for more manageable sessions.

If you can't take days or weeks off, that's a great way to burn out.

Even auto-regulated problems will eventually hit a wall if you push at them for too long. But they are much easier to maintain for a longer timeframe.

I disagree.

The longer you work out, the more diminishing returns you are going to have regardless of what you are doing. Which is why linear progression doesn’t work for more than a couple of weeks. I get what your saying but that’s going to happen regardless, if it didn’t people would be routinely benching 700 lbs raw. 

Auto regulation shouldn’t ever hit a wall or else it isn’t auto regulation. An rpe 8 should always feel rpe 8 or else it isn’t rpe 8.

Fatigue is managed by load management. Which is why purely doing sets of 80% of a 1 rep max of 5 reps of 5 sets will make you hit a wall. If you lower the weight using some kind of variation then your fatigue will be less although your volume will be the same.  There are ways to keep your volume the same but lower fatigue. I for example do sets of 10 reps on the bench with a 3 second pause at rpe 7,8, and 9 which is significantly less intense than my competition style bench sessions. The volume stays around the same. 

Yeah. You and I won’t ever see this the same way. I’d just caution you that everyone is different. 

you guys should settle this in hand to hand combat. Winner is clearly the one with the correct training philosophy. 

1 minute ago, Elessar78 said:

you guys should settle this in hand to hand combat. Winner is clearly the one with the correct training philosophy. 

:ols:

its obviously not that serious. People have different mottos. Even the science guys have some differing points of view. I do agree that volume matters. Just not as hardcore as he seems to think it does.

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yeah. You and I won’t ever see this the same way. I’d just caution you that everyone is different. 

I think people are more alike than different. It’s a spectrum but I believe women and men should train the same. Old and young. The only special populations are people who have actual medical conditions or physical restrictions such as amputes or etc. 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I think people are more alike than different. It’s a spectrum but I believe women and men should train the same. Old and young. The only special populations are people who have actual medical conditions or physical restrictions such as amputes or etc. 

I don’t totally disagree with this. But people are different. Powerlifters don’t train the same as bodybuilders who don’t train the same as CrossFitters who don’t train the same as runners. 

Ive been lifting for a long time. I’ve seen many people do it. I’ve trained many people. I’ve been coached by people. 

There are definitely folks who train “wrong” for their goals out there. But yes, I’m a general sense people within the same spectrum should train similarly. That much we are in agreement on :)