Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Workout Thread III

Spaceman Spiff

8 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Calf raise, correct. I usually use a leg press machine for it but if somebody is on it, I’ll get on something else.

Squats… I don’t know if those are going to be making an appearance in my routine ever again. Maybe I could do like light wall squats holding a medicine ball with a stability ball placed behind me. Not sure the knee or back can handle barbell squats at this stage.

Do what works for you but regarding squats, you don't need to do barbell squats. You don't even need to use dumbbells at this point. Bodyweight and don't even need to start going that low at the beginning. If you are going to a gym that has different height jumping boxes, you can use those to make sure you don't go too low to start. It will help build strength in your core. 

I'd consider leg press on a different day. Lightweight high reps to get started. 

But seriously, you are taking good steps and that's what matters. 

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Calf raise, correct. I usually use a leg press machine for it but if somebody is on it, I’ll get on something else.

Squats… I don’t know if those are going to be making an appearance in my routine ever again. Maybe I could do like light wall squats holding a medicine ball with a stability ball placed behind me. Not sure the knee or back can handle barbell squats at this stage.

Try giving hacksquats a go.  Or leg presses.

Any compound leg exercise is better than quad extensions and hamstring curls.

Edited by purbeast

So, I'd heard about body dysmorphia, but never knew it would hit me so hard. 6'2 240, I've always been a big dude.  I'm low-key getting pretty swole...but without a pump, I feel and look small to myself in the mirror.   It's really weird.  Been lifting heavy 6 days a week for about a year now.  Creatine & 160g of protein daily, lots of water and sleep.  

Anywho.  We've had our Tonal for about 2 1/2 months now, and I can't say enough about it.  ****ing amazing piece of equipment.  My wife uses it for all of her weight training.  I still like doing dumbbell workouts, but I use the Tonal for maybe 15 exercises six days a week (you can do over 100).  

It does everything.  Tracks progress and PRs, it measures your power with each rep, suggests when you're ready for more weight or need to lower the weight, corrects your form, all in real time.  Videos for each exercise to make sure your form is right.  It tracks your total weight for each rep, set, and total workout.  I just hit 200,000 lbs total 🏋️

It has radio stations, syncs with your phone (app) and you can track your progress.  You can setup your own custom workouts or follow one of the dozens of preloaded workouts they have.  You can select which muscle group you wanna use and all the exercises will pop up.  

One thing that's kinda wonky, the electric magnetic weights.  It's SO MUCH heavier than real plates.  Example - I can bench 225 for sets.  But with the Tonal, I can barely do 1 rep of 200.  Wild.  

This thing is worth every god damn penny, I'll never need a gym membership again.  

Excuse the mess, we're turning our basement bedroom into a full gym.  

IMG_20210525_194649.jpg.7ba1a6dd12e639b464e13dc85f293b93.jpgIMG_20210525_204600.thumb.jpg.eb1fecf0cd4d85338fb77c8ae08527ac.jpg

IMG_20210525_203047.thumb.jpg.e5247554b43f8de56acb192bed7632f7.jpg

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Do what works for you but regarding squats, you don't need to do barbell squats. You don't even need to use dumbbells at this point. Bodyweight and don't even need to start going that low at the beginning. If you are going to a gym that has different height jumping boxes, you can use those to make sure you don't go too low to start. It will help build strength in your core. 

Alright, I’ll give it a shot. If I die, it’s your fault.

14 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Alright, I’ll give it a shot. If I die, it’s your fault.

if you die doing squats, you weren’t meant to be 😁

Go slow. It’s all about technique so watch the videos or get a trainer to critique your form. 

As someone who is 44, I have zero interest in doing squats with heavy weight. I do either body weight, with bands or dumbbells. 

• Like 4

I have been running more lately due to fostering a 1 year old, 80 lb. german Shepard mix that needs energy out. For the past couple weeks, I have been trying to do more of the run breathing through my nose which I find very challenging. I have to switch over to out through my mouth when the dog starts pulling to see other dogs. Sometimes, it is all mouth when the pulling is too much. I feel more fit, and we will see if I truly am when I can run without the beast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chew said:

So, I'd heard about body dysmorphia, but never knew it would hit me so hard. 6'2 240, I've always been a big dude.  I'm low-key getting pretty swole...but without a pump, I feel and look small to myself in the mirror.   It's really weird.  Been lifting heavy 6 days a week for about a year now.  Creatine & 160g of protein daily, lots of water and sleep.  

Anywho.  We've had our Tonal for about 2 1/2 months now, and I can't say enough about it.  ****ing amazing piece of equipment.  My wife uses it for all of her weight training.  I still like doing dumbbell workouts, but I use the Tonal for maybe 15 exercises six days a week (you can do over 100).  

It does everything.  Tracks progress and PRs, it measures your power with each rep, suggests when you're ready for more weight or need to lower the weight, corrects your form, all in real time.  Videos for each exercise to make sure your form is right.  It tracks your total weight for each rep, set, and total workout.  I just hit 200,000 lbs total 🏋️

It has radio stations, syncs with your phone (app) and you can track your progress.  You can setup your own custom workouts or follow one of the dozens of preloaded workouts they have.  You can select which muscle group you wanna use and all the exercises will pop up.  

One thing that's kinda wonky, the electric magnetic weights.  It's SO MUCH heavier than real plates.  Example - I can bench 225 for sets.  But with the Tonal, I can barely do 1 rep of 200.  Wild.  

This thing is worth every god damn penny, I'll never need a gym membership again.  

1.61 MB · 0 downloads

Excuse the mess, we're turning our basement bedroom into a full gym.  

IMG_20210525_194649.jpg.7ba1a6dd12e639b464e13dc85f293b93.jpgIMG_20210525_204600.thumb.jpg.eb1fecf0cd4d85338fb77c8ae08527ac.jpg

IMG_20210525_203047.thumb.jpg.e5247554b43f8de56acb192bed7632f7.jpg

It’s not body dysmorphia. You are small. I lift 200k lb worth of weight in a single day. Come at me bro. 

ive always wanted to try out those tonal things. Seem like fun. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Hersh said:

if you die doing squats, you weren’t meant to be 😁

Go slow. It’s all about technique so watch the videos or get a trainer to critique your form. 

As someone who is 44, I have zero interest in doing squats with heavy weight. I do either body weight, with bands or dumbbells. 

Same.  I'd rather not die trying to barbell back squat 700 lbs.  I'm not trying to look like Jay Cutler out here.  

Doc got me doing goblets, Bulgarian splitties, and lateral lunges with dumbbells. That's all I do for quads.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Good to know the squats haven't killed you.

Came close on Sunday morning. Was coaching flag football for seven hours in 105 degree heat index on Saturday. Hack squats, dehydration, and being an old fart are not a great combination.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Fit people drink more than those who don’t exercise

Fit adults are more likely to consume alcohol than people who don't exercise according to a research study that links exercise and alcohol habits.

The study was published in the journal, Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise.

The study's authors warn that while higher fitness is overwhelmingly linked to better health and longevity, excessive alcohol use could lead to the development of chronic diseases and other serious problems.

A team of researchers examined data from approximately 38,000 healthy patients ranging in age from 20 to 86. Alcohol intake was assessed by a questionnaire, and their cardiorespiratory fitness was estimated with a treadmill test and based on the results, they were then classified as low, moderate, or high fit according to their age and sex. For alcohol consumption, those consuming three or fewer drinks per week were considered light drinkers; up to seven for women and 14 for men was moderate; and above that was heavy for patients aged 18-64 years.

Study results showed that adults who engage in physical activity and reach moderate and high fitness levels also tend to drink more alcohol.

Click on the link for the full article

Oh, and if the people in the study were healthy and weren't being treated for an illness, then they weren't "patients" they were "study subjects."

9 hours ago, China said:

Fit people drink more than those who don’t exercise

Fit adults are more likely to consume alcohol than people who don't exercise according to a research study that links exercise and alcohol habits.

The study was published in the journal, Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise.

The study's authors warn that while higher fitness is overwhelmingly linked to better health and longevity, excessive alcohol use could lead to the development of chronic diseases and other serious problems.

A team of researchers examined data from approximately 38,000 healthy patients ranging in age from 20 to 86. Alcohol intake was assessed by a questionnaire, and their cardiorespiratory fitness was estimated with a treadmill test and based on the results, they were then classified as low, moderate, or high fit according to their age and sex. For alcohol consumption, those consuming three or fewer drinks per week were considered light drinkers; up to seven for women and 14 for men was moderate; and above that was heavy for patients aged 18-64 years.

Study results showed that adults who engage in physical activity and reach moderate and high fitness levels also tend to drink more alcohol.

Click on the link for the full article

Oh, and if the people in the study were healthy and weren't being treated for an illness, then they weren't "patients" they were "study subjects."

I call BS on this study. It’s pretty much the exact opposite in my various circle of friends. 

• 7 months later...
22 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I can and do drink more than lazy people. Not as often but when I do it’s way more. 

I passed out during a deadlifting PR attempt a few months ago. Later that day I legit thought to myself "I hope Doc would be proud of me" LOL 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chew said:

I passed out during a deadlifting PR attempt a few months ago. Later that day I legit thought to myself "I hope Doc would be proud of me" LOL 

Super proud. 
looking forward to playing with you when MW2 comes out. I’m even more try hard now. 

Edited by Dr. Do Itch Big
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Let me ask an honest question.

I have been losing weight, but I haven't exercised since my knee injury was worsened. How? By eating less calories and controlling portion size.

I lost 10 pounds this way and I'im hoping to lose more. I'm just wondering, is there even a need to exercise? Because the way I see it, my joints are so inflammed, so brittle and so throbbing that I can't possibly exercise for 30 minutes a day anymore or lift weights again. Heck, with all my computer use I already have overuse injuries in my wrists. So do I even need to exercise or can I just control my diet and lose weight?

• Like 1

You can control your weight pretty easily with diet.  Anyone who has visible abs has that because of their diet, not because of how much they work out.  You can also have a crazy six pack that you can't see because you have a layer of fat hiding it.

All exercising does in terms of losing weight is burns more calories.  So if you don't workout and burn 2000 calories a day and eat 1500 calories a day, you will still lose weight.  Add in exercising and say you burn 2500 but still only eat 1500, you will lose more weight 

There is more to it than that too but that is just a more general thought about it.  

There is also a lot more to your overall health than just weight, and exercising helps with that other stuff.  You can be skinny as all hell and still be extremely unhealthy.  That doesn't mean your heart is healthy though.

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 2