Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Workout Thread III

Spaceman Spiff

20 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

What do you guys do for your delts and traps? Specifically the back portion of the delt and the portion of the trap that connects to your neck? I feel that my shoulders are uneven in that the front of the delt is more developed...

Currently doing alternating shoulder dumbell presses, lat pulldowns, shoulder shrugs, and shoulder dumbbell raises (front and side), and chinups/pullups.

What should I be doing and/or what am I missing?

http://seannal.com/articles/training/rear-deltoid-exercises.php

• Thanks 1

You can also do upright rows.

I don't know what they are called but I bend over 90 degrees and do reverse fly motions.  I typically do those as a super set of heavy barbell shrugs.

I do some shrugs too where I hold the bar behind my back.  You feel it slightly in your rear delts but that's not really what it's for.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, purbeast said:

I'd also recommend steering clear of the smith machine if you have the option of barbell or dumbells.

Why do you suggest that? 

7 minutes ago, zoony said:

New dietary guidelines for men recommend 38 grams of fiber daily.  That is ****ing ridiculous

Yeah people have to work and do stuff. Can’t be ****ting all day. 

49 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Why do you suggest that? 

Yeah people have to work and do stuff. Can’t be ****ting all day. 

Because free weights in general are much better than any machines if you have the option.  Machines will teach you bad form and won't help you build up any stabilizer/supporting muscles muscles.  They will also make you think you are stronger than you really are because you can "lift" more weight.  In reality you can put more weight up because you can use other forces and muscles to help, plus it's on a track and only allows motion in one direction.  

For instance, if you are doing bench press on a smith machine, you can push forward and up to help you get it up if you start struggling.  If you did that free weights, the bar would end up on your stomach.  

I jacked up my back like 10+ years ago doing squats wrong because of bad form and habits learned from using the smith machine.  I also used to do shrugs on the smith machine if all other racks were taken but now i never have that problem because I'll use flat bench or decline bench if all racks are taken.  That gives me like 8 possible options to do shrugs with at my gym so there's always something open.

• Like 1

But if you go to Planet Fatness and the Smith Machine is the only option...

There are plenty of exercises you can do with free weights.  I do use the smith machine and the cable machines though.  It’s nice when you’re working out without a partner to use the smith machine for things like bench and squat.

12 hours ago, purbeast said:

Because free weights in general are much better than any machines if you have the option.  Machines will teach you bad form and won't help you build up any stabilizer/supporting muscles muscles.  They will also make you think you are stronger than you really are because you can "lift" more weight.  In reality you can put more weight up because you can use other forces and muscles to help, plus it's on a track and only allows motion in one direction.  

I get all that, i thought you were referring to trap exercises specifically.

I go to planet fitness so its smith machine and cables and that works for me. I know it's not as good of a workout but I only lift for my physical appearance, i don't care about being strong or how much I can lift. 

10 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I get all that, i thought you were referring to trap exercises specifically.

I go to planet fitness so its smith machine and cables and that works for me. I know it's not as good of a workout but I only lift for my physical appearance, i don't care about being strong or how much I can lift. 

Nah I meant in general, which would include trap exercises though.  

I created my own spin on HIIT workouts at my gym. I lift a muscle group (either chest, arms, shoulders, or back) for 15ish minutes with limited rest in between sets. I usually get 12 sets in (4 different exercises) over those 15 minutes. Then, I do interval training on a cardio machine for another 25-28 minutes. So, the total workout is about 45 minutes, tops. The results have been great for me...I've lost probably 6-7 pounds over the summer and have gained a decent amount of muscle. 

For context, before this I was doing a machine for 30-35 minutes at a standard pace and lifting at a slower pace for a good 25 minutes. So, 25% longer workout and I had plateaued pretty badly...

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Been doing the keto diet for the past three weeks, results are absurd.  

Orange Theory coming out to Winchester in October, results should be absurder ?

What do you mean by absurd? Keto diets have ridiculously low compliance rates and don’t offer any benefits any other diet would unless diabetic. 

2 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

What do you mean by absurd? Keto diets have ridiculously low compliance rates and don’t offer any benefits any other diet would unless diabetic. 

Absurd as in I've lost a lot of weight already. Feel good, too.

If I can eat meat, I'm happy.  I've cut out sugar, sodas and carbs which is something anyone who's health conscious should eliminate or minimize.  After the first few days, the cravings went away.  I thought not having a glass bottle Coke would be trying to kick heroin and I'd drink at least one Red Bull a day followed by a Dr. Pepper, Coke, Mt. Dew, whatever.  Didn't matter, as long as it had sugary carbonated water, I was a fiend.  And diabetes does run in my family so this is probably for the best.

Not sure what you mean by compliance rates, but if you're saying it's hard to keep going it hasn't been for me.  Minimal effort required to check the back of a package to see what carbs and sugar content looks like and plenty of resources to tell you if you're on the right track.  It's the first time I've felt like keeping a diet isn't an absolute chore.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

2 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Cutting sugar and soda isn’t keto. Are you actually only consuming around 30 carbs a day or less? Also, are you in ketosis, because lowering carbs is a good way to lose weight but that doesn’t mean keto. 

I am, cause I got those little strips that tell me I am :) 

I do this on Monday/Friday, because I do karate on Tues/Thurs/Sat. I try to go as heavy as I can and still make reps. No rest inside of the Super Sets.

Superset 1

Pushups – 20 x 3

Lunges – 10 (each side) x 2

Superset 2

Chest press – 20 x 3

Squats – 20 x 2

Superset 3

Overhead press – 10 x 3

Deadlift – 20 x 2

Superset 4

Triceps skullcrusher – 10 x 3

Russian kettlebell swings – 20 x 3

Superset 5

Curls – 10 x 5

Calf raise – 30 x 3

Edited by Zguy28
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

So the St. James opened 2 weeks ago, and I've been maybe 8 times.  

https://www.washingtonian.com/2018/09/14/inside-the-st-james-northern-virginias-massive-sports-complex/

It's pretty incredible and, at this point, basically empty most of the time.  

Now I just need to figure out a workout plan. :(

Damn, I'm jelly. The feeling I get walking into a stacked gym is like when it was ToysRUs Fridays when I was a little kids. Lot of the fitness centers where I'm at in   Northern MoCo  (that I'm willing to travel to) are more quantity than quality.

Anyone know any good oblique exercises for the gym?  I don't see any on bodybuilder exercise database and all my equipment and weights are in storage.  Used to put a barbell behind my next on my shoulders with 90lbs or more and shift from side to side, but trying see if more efficient method to go with my core day exercises that's now missing