Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Workout Thread III

Spaceman Spiff

I go to Planet Fatness so I have no idea what my max is.  On the Smith machine I do 3 sets of 135 x 10 bench and 3 sets of 185 x10 squat.  Don’t deadlift either.  Never tried maxing since I never workout with a partner.  I just go for reps and have been slowly increasing the weight but do less reps.

On 1/18/2018 at 2:19 PM, Springfield said:

Before IF, I had a Fiber One Oats and Chocolate.  I’ve never been much of a breakfast guy and the whole “breakfast is the most important meal of the day” thing is bs to me.

Breakfast kick starts your metabolism, so yeah, it IS important. And you should be eating clean about every 2 hours. I know it sounds impossible to eat that much, that often, but once you adapt to it you'll really start burning fat. 

Here's how I was doing it:

7:00 AM  Water

7:30 AM I'm cooking 3 frozen chicken breasts on a Foreman grill to take to work Water

8:00 AM Protein shake- 1 scoop powder, 1 spoon almond/natural peanut butter/almond milk(unsweet vanilla) 1 cup raw oats & each a banana/handful of blueberries/or strawberries - the raw oats are a fiber source & they'll allso cook a lil in your stomach to give you a longer fuller feeling. Water

10 AM bowl of mixed fruit Water

Noon Chicken breast/brown rice/green beans Water

2 PM Yogurt cup of Fiber One bar & handful of almonds Water

4 PM Chicken breast/brown rice/green beans Water

6PM Chicken breast/brown rice/green beans Water

8 PM bowl of mixed fruit Water

Leave work at 9pm & hit the gym from 9:30-11 PM

That was my core diet. I'd mix it up from time to time when getting sick/bored of it. Spinach leaf/grilled chicken salads. Small can of tuna a day etc. And water is SO key to it. 

Been thinking about getting an Apple Watch Series 3 for all of my activity tracking and music streaming while at the gym.  Anyone have experience?

That Fiber One bar is good stuff with it being a 90 calorie bar.

I've got a Series 1 Apple Watch. Mainly for the heart rate monitor. You still get a better, more accurate heart rate using a strap & wrist monitor/watch type thing combo. However, the chest strap eventually gets so soaked in sweat you need to wash the funk out of it. 

On 1/17/2018 at 7:57 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Since Workout Thread II is closed.

Today, 6 sets of 53 pound kettlebell swings till failure.  100 pushups.  

Anyone have a Peloton?  Been thinking about getting one.

Hey did you ever try the DDP Yoga yet?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I did, and it was good, I liked it.  Just haven't done anything yoga related for awhile but I'd like to get back into it.

Are you still doing it?

I kept a few of the stretches but I'd also like to get back into it. Along with the gym, cause I still miss weights. The arm is as good as it's gonna get by now. I think a lot of it is just knowing that I ripped that bicep tendon off the bone once, so I could end up doing it again, or worse. And I really have no desire to go through it again. If I was still in my early to mid 30's I doubt I'd worry about it, but mid 40s well that's when you start to realize you're quite as indestructible as used to think you were. :ols: 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TK said:

I kept a few of the stretches but I'd also like to get back into it. Along with the gym, cause I still miss weights. The arm is as good as it's gonna get by now. I think a lot of it is just knowing that I ripped that bicep tendon off the bone once, so I could end up doing it again, or worse. And I really have no desire to go through it again. If I was still in my early to mid 30's I doubt I'd worry about it, but mid 40s well that's when you start to realize you're quite as indestructible as used to think you were. :ols: 

Yeah, I'm starting to get to that feeling of...well, might not be invincible here after all.  So trying to reconsider the diet more than anything, really.  Haven't ever had too much of a hard time working out but giving up comfort food and fast food is a ****. 

I'm certainly no expert but I can't imagine ripping the bicep off the bone doing yoga, and certainly not by doing anything in that DDP program.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm certainly no expert but I can't imagine ripping the bicep off the bone doing yoga, and certainly not by doing anything in that DDP program.

As far as ripping it again, I was referring to the weights. DDP Yoga is probably the safest program out there with the years he put into developing it.  

• Like 1

Started Muay Thai kickboxing classes after work. I’ll do that class for an hour Mon, Wed and Fri and then lift Tuesday Thursday and Saturday. Seeing great results. The kickboxing is a higher intensity cardio workout with self defense thrown in and it’s a lot of fun. Then I just typically cardio lift when I do weights at planet fitness. The day off in between let’s me go harder and focus on more body areas than when I went every day and had to isolate certain groups more. Sexy 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

13 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Started Muay Thai kickboxing classes after work. I’ll do that class for an hour Mon, Wed and Fri and then lift Tuesday Thursday and Saturday. Seeing great results. The kickboxing is a higher intensity cardio workout with self defense thrown in and it’s a lot of fun. Then I just typically cardio lift when I do weights at planet fitness. The day off in between let’s me go harder and focus on more body areas than when I went every day and had to isolate certain groups more. Sexy 

Fight me

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Is 6 days a week of working out too much?  I started doing 3 days weights, 3 days hour cardio, never weight lift on back to back days.  My biceps are kinda sore, but i feel like I can do pretty much every other exercise I normally would on a monday

6 isn’t too much as long as you space everything out properly.  I do cardio every day and alternate upper body and lower body strength.  You learn body gets used to it eventually.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2018 at 10:59 AM, The Evil Genius said:

So I've been trying to eat better and prepack food and veggies for the work day. But I have to ask..wtf do you people eat M-F for breakfast?

I can do eggs..but they get old. Any suggestions?

I have no idea why I opened this thread, I got caught wandering around the Tailgate.  :ols:

Anyway, I have some diet restrictions myself right now and food can get incredibly boring.  I wanted to throw you this smoothie recipe, because I feel like it has really made a difference in my energy and exercise stamina.  I don't use measuring cups so most of this is done with the good ole Alvin eyeball.

1 - Two handfuls romaine lettuce

2 - One big carrot

3 - Half cucumber

4 - Two celery stalks

5 - One avocado

6 - Two tangerines (outer peel removed)

7 - Two cups frozen mixed berries

8 - One and half scoops Burt's Bees Plant Protein Vanilla (It's gluten/dairy/soy free)

9 - 1/4 cup fresh parsley

Add water to make the consistency you like it.  The berries are key here to make it taste good.  If it's bland, add more berries.  Too tart, add more protein powder.  Those are really the only two things I played around with before finding a flavor profile that I liked.  

• Thanks 1

Still doing the home gym thing. Loving it still. It's old school,use your imagination type stuff at times and that makes it fun. Combining a variety work out methodologies,(powerlifting,bodybuilding,volume training,crossfit,ect),and making up a few I think. ;)  Example. I have a wheelbarrow with about 150 lbs of river rock in it that I use on one of those conditioning days. I do a set of about15-20 pushups,pick up and push that wheelbarrow about 10 yards and back for 4-6 times followed by some supine pull-ups,(using a pair of saw horses and a piece of 1 inch conduit as the bar). Rinse,repeat about 3-5 times depending what else I might be doing that day. :)  Anyway. Looking to expand the home a gym a bit after I vent the garage,reverse engineer it for load and make at least half of it in to a living space of sorts. Have a good idea on what I'm getting to help make it kind of "portable".  There's always work of course and the spring through fall hiking in the mountains to add to the workouts. 

On 1/25/2018 at 11:54 PM, PCS said:

Still doing the home gym thing. Loving it still. It's old school,use your imagination type stuff at times and that makes it fun. Combining a variety work out methodologies,(powerlifting,bodybuilding,volume training,crossfit,ect),and making up a few I think. ;)  Example. I have a wheelbarrow with about 150 lbs of river rock in it that I use on one of those conditioning days. I do a set of about15-20 pushups,pick up and push that wheelbarrow about 10 yards and back for 4-6 times followed by some supine pull-ups,(using a pair of saw horses and a piece of 1 inch conduit as the bar). Rinse,repeat about 3-5 times depending what else I might be doing that day. :)  Anyway. Looking to expand the home a gym a bit after I vent the garage,reverse engineer it for load and make at least half of it in to a living space of sorts. Have a good idea on what I'm getting to help make it kind of "portable".  There's always work of course and the spring through fall hiking in the mountains to add to the workouts. 

What is this, Rocky 4? ;)

I've only got 45 minutes to workout a day, at 4 AM. Everything else is allocated to family, sports, church,etc. I use kettlebells primarily and a barbell for military presses and curls sometimes. On aerobic days, throw in some HIIT (fitness blender has some good stuff) or just walking/hiking for a couple miles to burn the extra cals.Once your in your 40's, it begins to suck. Had to start taking EVL Test. It helps tremendously.

Since my daughter does Shorin Ryu karate, I was thinking of joining, since I'm already there anyway. But its expensive and I'm concerned I can't dedicate time to practice and my joints might not hold up. My bride wants me to do Yoga.

Edited by Zguy28

• 2 weeks later...

Down 8.1 pounds since I started on January 9th. 

Typical day now is 25-40 minutes of walking at 3.6 mph and short bouts of running at 6mph, all treadmill, and a little tiny bit of free weights. Plus eating healthier (no more daily 2+ sodas).

I'll never be a skinny ass again..but I do want to to see 50. 

Almost sub 200 again too. 30 more to go to my final target.

• Like 2

Single arm cross-face tricep extension

Single Arm Tricep Kickbacks

Dips (dip bar or off a bench)

Pushups (many many variations..i like doing them with KBs for exhaustion)

TRX strap tricep extensions

Skull crushers - with an ezbar or with dbs

Slight varition on the rope extensions you do on the cable machine..you can do these single arm w a strap or double with one of the short bars. Keep your shoulders back on these.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2018 at 12:14 PM, Zguy28 said:

What is this, Rocky 4? ;)

I've only got 45 minutes to workout a day, at 4 AM. Everything else is allocated to family, sports, church,etc. I use kettlebells primarily and a barbell for military presses and curls sometimes. On aerobic days, throw in some HIIT (fitness blender has some good stuff) or just walking/hiking for a couple miles to burn the extra cals.Once your in your 40's, it begins to suck. Had to start taking EVL Test. It helps tremendously.

Since my daughter does Shorin Ryu karate, I was thinking of joining, since I'm already there anyway. But its expensive and I'm concerned I can't dedicate time to practice and my joints might not hold up. My bride wants me to do Yoga.

So I've taken up Okinawan Shorin Ryu Karate and I love it. However my hips and back are so tight right now. At 44 I've lost my flexibility of youth. Any recommendations on ways to regain flexibility? Particularly my side kick and roundhouse elevation is barely waist level. Its a combo of outside hip muscles and inner thigh.

Edited by Zguy28

11 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

So I've taken up Okinawan Shorin Ryu Karate and I love it. However my hips and back are so tight right now. At 44 I've lost my flexibility of youth. Any recommendations on ways to regain flexibility? Particularly my side kick and roundhouse elevation is barely waist level. Its a combo or outside hip muscles and inner thigh.

https://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Supple-Leopard-2nd-Performance/dp/1628600837

• Like 1