Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

H&M. That's just racist.

Spaceman Spiff

16 minutes ago, Destino said:

Of course I see the difference.  Are you kidding me with this?  Everyone can see the difference.  It's absolutely unacceptable to call a black child (or any black person) a monkey.  That's blatant racism. 

Bruh.  Phrasing. 

Thanks? 

Too late!  :ols: 

Yea my bad I was hoping you wouldn't see that. Too much from me. And I wasn't calling you egotistical I assume anyone who couldn't get it has more of an ego thing going on than a racist thing so I start with that. 

I erased it cause you are one of the first posts in here calling it blatant racism. Again, sorry. 

8 minutes ago, Bang said:

Seems like a very much overblown controversy to me. But, i can see how others might not think so, so do whatever. If the company pulls the clothes, fine, if not, fine. No one is forced to buy them.

Do people want to ban the "coolest monkey" hoodie?  I haven't been following the twitter conversation.  I don't think the issue was that it was inherently racist for those words to exist on clothing.  It was just a very bad decision to put a black child in that particular item because when applied to black people "monkey" is a slur.  H&M should not have published that image and deserve to catch heat for it.

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Yea my bad I was hoping you wouldn't see that. Too much from me. And I wasn't calling you egotistical I assume anyone who couldn't get it has more of an ego thing going on than a racist thing so I start with that. 

I erased it cause you are one of the first posts in here calling it blatant racism. Again, sorry. 

No need to apologize and really you didn't even need to edit it.  I get called out harder than that fairly often around here.  We're cool. 

53 minutes ago, Destino said:

Do people want to ban the "coolest monkey" hoodie?  I haven't been following the twitter conversation.  I don't think the issue was that it was inherently racist for those words to exist on clothing.  It was just a very bad decision to put a black child in that particular item because when applied to black people "monkey" is a slur.  H&M should not have published that image and deserve to catch heat for it.

No need to apologize and really you didn't even need to edit it.  I get called out harder than that fairly often around here.  We're cool. 

sorry.. i deleted the comment i wrote.. i did NOT notice the nice little star of David on those PJs... thought i saw a frenchman, wrote that, then saw the star,, so, comment gone.

I don't know if HM is banning the hoodie.. i think there is all too often a rush to offense and there is no consideration given to the possibility of an innocent mistake.

I don't bother with clothing marketing enough to be able to tell their history. Is there a pattern of this sort of thing?

As to whether people want to ban the hoodie,, given the current climate i'd be shocked if they did not. "Destroy it now" is the reaction to any perceived offense.

~Bang

9 hours ago, Llevron said:

I hope you understand what I was trying to say versus this other guy

definitely. i wasn't trying to be snippy about it.

i think the monkey kids shirts are cool, my kid likes monkeys, curious george is his favorite show. i guess that's easy to think when you've never been called a monkey as a slur. i currently live in a world of clothes and toys that are monkeys and i call my kid a little monkey because he climbs everywhere and eats bananas nonstop. so while everyone else saw racism, i saw just another monkey shirt. 

21 hours ago, tshile said:

I missed this until Dan T quoted it.

Sounds good to me. Keep the monkey references to white people.

9 hours ago, Llevron said:

I hope you understand what I was trying to say versus this other guy

Llevron, am I "this other guy" you're talking about? If so, what have I said that you disagree with?

3 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Llevron, am I "this other guy" you're talking about? If so, what have I said that you disagree with?

i think he meant the 'other guy' that said it's racist towards whites and he's offended, and then things kind went off the rails for a minute ;)

22 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Naw not at all. I quoted the other guy lol. 

I made a mental note to get back to your post cause I actually agree with all of it (and I still plan to) but im actually busy at work for once smh. 

But no you are not the other guy and actually you made me feel like i wasnt as crazy and overly sensitive as I think I am sometimes. Its not that hard to avoid it and your post illustrated that. 

17 minutes ago, tshile said:

i think he meant the 'other guy' that said it's racist towards whites and he's offended, and then things kind went off the rails for a minute ;)

Yea - over sensitivity on my part. I can reluctantly acknowledge that. 

Some **** just drives me.......bananas. >_> 

Offensive is perhaps an issue. At the same time ignoring ignorance is another. 

I understand that part of it. Truly I do. 

Idiots making it blow up more than it is ? Why ? Most of those folks don't even shop there to begin with. 

I know this will not translate well to everyone...but so freaking what ? 

I walked in one H&M in NYC nearly 20 years ago...never again. 

I have no interest in going into a color coded store. That is what my personal closet is for... 

Perhaps I am too lazy to do that, perhaps, I simply don't care enough to bother. 

End of the day with the potential backlash...their AD/MAR folks will be eliminated. 

It was a mistake from either a raised or silly point of view, or from a view of ignorance of the potential. 

Simply a mistake. 

On 1/8/2018 at 9:07 PM, Dan T. said:

That ad featured a series of women taking their t-shirts off.  After the black woman takes off hers, it morphs into a third woman, a brown haired woman who looks Italian or maybe middle eastern. But press accounts of the ad usually cut it short before the whole ad ran.  Seen in its entirety, it's not as blatantly insensitive as you might think.  I went against the tide in giving Dove the benefit of the doubt there.

The Dove ad wasn’t racist to me either. And imo it shows an issue of colorism.

But it was too clunky that the message was easily lost.

This H&M ad was racist.

Archived