Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Jon Gruden mega contract Thread -- 10 years -- 100 million dollars .......... (or whatever the hell it is). Featuring: Mark Davis

RemoveSnyder

• 3 months later...

I have Raider fans as facebook fans, and the photos and memes have shifted from hope to despair rather quickly.  I have yet to watch them play a game, but if he can't save Carr's career, I don't know why they brought him back.  They are going to lose players left and right to Vegas night life when they get there at the rate they are going.

Is it possible he's just rusty? How long was he in the booth again?

It's the same thing with Gibbs 2. You can't step away from the game and come back and expect things to be the same. Gibbs especially, because he was focused on racing stuff and was out longer. The success he had is a testament to his leadership ability but from a football standpoint the game had passed him by quite significantly.

I think we are seeing a lot of the same things with Gruden. You lose a lot of that when you aren't in a locker room every day. At least he has supposedly studied the NFL during his TV time so he should be familiar with players and trends and where the game is and where it's headed which will help him. Now he has a 10 year contract so it's possible he will have time to regain his form but it will be pretty difficult for him to be successful there, especially after trading their best player, overseeing a franchise move to Vegas and seeming to be preparing for a massive rebuild. 

On 10/15/2018 at 11:46 AM, Barry.Randolphe said:

For someone that is supposed to be a QB guru, Carr has regressed under him.

Is he really known for that, though ?

I know that's Jay's reputation, but I havn't heard or seen anything in Jon's history, that would indicate that, but I could be wrong.

What QB's has Jon developed ?

* Sorry for the consecutive posts - I thought I posted them close enough, that they would auto-merge, and I don't know how to add an additional quote to a pre-existing post.

I think Jon is known for blowing thru QBs. Getting quickly dissatisfied and frustrated with them before moving onto another. 

Tho I guess he had a bit of a reclamation project in Ganon in Oakland. 

I think he has the rep as being a QB guru because of his draft show QB Camp where he reviews film and gets on the field with the top QB prospects each year. 

Gruden's kind of getting a raw deal, IMO. They had one winning season in 15 years, and it wasnt even the last one before Gruden showed up, it was 2 years ago. People act like he's coming in to build on a good foundation, which IMO, they never truly had. 

That 12-win 2016 messed with people's heads thinking they were a team on the come. When in reality, it was an aberration. The only reason they did what they did was by being #1 in giveaway/takeaway. That masks a lot of deficiencies. Makes you look like you're actually good when you're not.  We've seen sketchy teams go a long way by dominating giveaway/takeaway. 

I get as an offensive coach with a QB, more was expected of that side of the ball, but that defense hasnt been any good in more than a decade.

1 hour ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

That's exactly it - turns out he doesn't know **** about QB play.

I think it was because Rich Gannon went from journeyman backup to MVP under his tutelage.  You only have to really be associated with the development of 1 Qb to get labeled a guru. Norv Turner got labeled a QB guru because of developing Aikman. 

And Gruden was on staffs with some great ones like Montana, Young, and Favre.  Don't think he coached any of them, per se.  But the association probably stuck.

It was so much fun watching a 3rd string QB from one of the worst teams in the NFL absolutely destroy Gruden's Raiduhs.

And don't expect him to land good players with all those draft picks.  This is the guy who inherited a great roster from McKay and with Bruce Allen's help destroyed it. Trade away Khalil Mack and draft the next Gaines Adams.  Woohoo!

Archived