Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Josh Doctson the new 50/50?

Redskinscub

41 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Not just a facemask, but poked in the eyes too.

I don’t remember him being facemasked. I just remember him looking like he caught it and I proceeded to celebrate then seeing the ball come out when he hit the ground and then proceeded to be pissed. Norman leveled Kelce that game right after he celebrated a first down in his face. That was great. 

11 minutes ago, maxspruill21 said:

I don’t remember him being facemasked. I just remember him looking like he caught it and I proceeded to celebrate then seeing the ball come out when he hit the ground and then proceeded to be pissed.

You can see it for yourself in the video I posted, along with the time stamp.

He's blatantly facesmasked at practically the same moment he dropped the ball.

It clearly looks like having his head twisted contributed to the drop.

19 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

You can see it for yourself in the video I posted, along with the time stamp.

He's blatantly facesmasked at practically the same moment he dropped the ball.

It clearly looks like having his head twisted contributed to the drop.

I saw the video, I agree with you but didn’t remember that happening at the time. I was more focused on the fact that we could have handed them their first L of the season if it wasn’t for that drop and our secondary not blowing it with 40 seconds left. 

21 hours ago, EasternNCbywayofNOVA said:

Because his catching radius is what will make him successful, so it’s expected. He doesn’t get separation. If he gets two hands on it and doesn’t hall it in it’s a drop. 

I’m sure no one was as good at catching as you were as the 4th string NG on JV. 

If coach had only put you in.....

15 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Its concerning, you don't do MRI's without a reason and I don't expect Jay would tell us the truth because he doesn't want to answer 1000 questions about it.

Doctson and Reed better be ready to play or they will be gone after this year, its do or die for both.

Regular Joe’s don’t do MRI’s for no reason.  Million dollar assets get them much like you or I change the oil on a car. 

Im pretty sure no matter what, neither Doctson or Reed will die. 

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:06 PM, Vanguard said:

No more former Cowboys.  Please, please, please no more former Cowboys.  Especially not Dez, and his big mouth.

And just to reiterate why I say this.  Look no further than Dez Bryant;s most recent twitter post where he's throwing his former teammates and owner under the bus.

2 hours ago, Long n Left said:

So, leading the team in TD catches is not productivity? ?

35 catches and 500 yards isn't anything to brag about. And, leading the team with 6 TD's is like winning a drag race amongst Honda Civics. No matter who wins, it's still lame.

Doctson and Smith seem to be having a love affair so far in camp. Chemistry might be better there. I don't think Cousins was ever really all that comfortable throwing to Doctson because he's a guy you gotta just get the ball to and let him make a play.

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Doctson and Smith seem to be having a love affair so far in camp. Chemistry might be better there. I don't think Cousins was ever really all that comfortable throwing to Doctson because he's a guy you gotta just get the ball to and let him make a play.

Maybe, but I don't know if I buy that. Doctson was targeted 78 times, 2nd highest on the team after Crowder. However, he only had 35 receptions, for a 44.9 completion %, far worst on the team. Pryor was next with 54%, and everyone else was in the 60+% and higher. so he got thrown to, he just didn't catch the ball.

Let's hope he takes a big leap this year.

What we have seen of Doctson, thus far, is unfortunate.  However, in the RZ, should the run take-off as we hope (throughout the season), he may see TD opportunities.  All collected views on the kid are true, but let's see what Gruden has planned for him this season. As for technique, the coaches are ware of this, I'm sure, and I believe they have addressed it.  All the kid needs is confidence.  So, my question is, "How do you instill confidence in a kid like this"?  

Hopefully, Richardson can help.  This being Richardson's first season with the Skins, he may be all consumed with just getting to know the playbook.  Let's give it time for the WR cadre to gel; support each other.  Until then, "HTTR"!

It's only training camp so nothing can be said with absolute confidence, but Doctson looks much more the part so far.  He is leaping for catches, using his body, his length, his hands to make catches over defenders. He is allowing the QB to throw jump balls that would be contested or broken up, or possibly intercepted if Doctson didn't have the athletic ability that got him drafted as high as he was.

Of course, we need to see this in games more consistently, but I also look at last year as his rookie year coming off an injury he might have still been nursing, on an offense that was constantly cycling new players in and out of the lineup due to injuries. 

2018 could be a brand new Josh Doctson.

14 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Maybe, but I don't know if I buy that. Doctson was targeted 78 times, 2nd highest on the team after Crowder. However, he only had 35 receptions, for a 44.9 completion %, far worst on the team. Pryor was next with 54%, and everyone else was in the 60+% and higher. so he got thrown to, he just didn't catch the ball.

Let's hope he takes a big leap this year.

I think those #s got inflated a bit with Reed's injury and Pryor being a complete bust.

6 hours ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Its funny watching the over reactions from one fans comments. Yet theres tweets all over saying he is routinely the only one getting separation. Dude is gonna ball out. 60 catches, 800+ yards, 8+ tds

Well I like those expectations, because he needs to at least put up those kind of numbers this year.

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Considering Pryor was at 54% and the rest of the team was in the mid 60% range and above, the numbers say it's Doctson at fault. :D

I'm sure Doctson was partially at fault...we all saw him run some incorrect routes and have brain farts and drop some easy passes. But I also think that completion % may have something to do with where he was playing and how he was used. After Pryor quickly flamed out, Doctson was usually at the X split end position which, unless a team has an elite Z guy that they want their top CB to cover, is where the opposing defense's best 1 on 1 CB tends to be. Also Doctson was used for plenty of 50/50 balls so naturally a guy being utilized heavily that way is going to have a lower completion rate than a guy who's catching a bunch of slants or safer intermediate passes when sitting down in zones, etc. 

So maybe a combination of Doctson having some route running issues, concentration issues/nerves which led to dropping easy passes, going up against the defense's best 1 on 1 CB more often than not most likely, and having a decent number of the passes thrown to him be 50/50 balls. I have a feeling it will improve this year, at least I certainly hope it will. I'm not all that worried about the easy drops or mental lapses as that happens to pretty much every rookie WR and he has absolutely no history of the dropsies in college.

Archived