Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

25 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Looking at all the deals in FA in baseball, i cant see Harper doing a long term deal.  I am thinking something like a 5 year 175 type of deal.  I don't see anyhting 7+ anymore. 

I mean, 5 years is still pretty long term. A lot can happen in 5 years. But he's going to get a lot more than just 175 over 5.

17 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

And let's hope we stay far away from that. I know the window may be closing and we may end up losing some much beloved names and faces along the way - thus is the nature of free agency (though I still rather that be in place than the reserve clause but that's another discussion for another day) - but hopefully we'll never return to those dregs again.

D.C. is, once again, changing dramatically and I fear without sustained success (or at least competitiveness) we may lose yet another baseball franchise sometime in the future. 

10 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

And let's hope we stay far away from that. I know the window may be closing and we may end up losing some much beloved names and faces along the way - thus is the nature of free agency (though I still rather that be in place than the reserve clause but that's another discussion for another day) - but hopefully we'll never return to those dregs again.

D.C. is, once again, changing dramatically and I fear without sustained success (or at least competitiveness) we may lose yet another baseball franchise sometime in the future. 

It takes years of bad drafts, bad contracts, and bad trades to get back to those 08-09 years. Keeping Rizzo assures the Nationals to avoid any kind of sustained failure in any one of those areas, let alone all three.

35 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Explain. 

Now that I think more about that post, I think that mostly came from a place of fear and maybe not reason. The demographics of the District are changing dramatically but that may not necessarily play a role in a team staying or leaving. 

I just really want baseball to work in D.C. is all. We waited a long time for baseball to return after losing two teams within about a decade. That was a long time ago but I'm still worried someone's going to find some way to up and move them again and I really don't want that. Maybe I'm carrying my father's baggage. 

12 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

Now that I think more about that post, I think that mostly came from a place of fear and maybe not reason. The demographics of the District are changing dramatically but that may not necessarily play a role in a team staying or leaving. 

I just really want baseball to work in D.C. is all. We waited a long time for baseball to return after losing two teams within about a decade. That was a long time ago but I'm still worried someone's going to find some way to up and move them again and I really don't want that. Maybe I'm carrying my father's baggage. 

That's fair.  I think baseball not being in DC for so long was a weird anomaly.  DC is a major American city and there is no reason we should not have all 4 major US sports here.  It was driven by a combination of Angelos fighting to keep a team out of DC (and he fights dirty) and MLB not having a good reason to expand (if they expanded, they'd need to add 2 teams, not one).  Given the fact that the fan base has had 14 years to develop, we have a brand new and pretty nice stadium, the economic strength of the region and the fact that the Nats are pretty much a part of DC's identity now, I can't see them going anywhere any time soon.  

According to that documentary I found recently about the history of baseball in the city, folks believed there would be another team within a few years. The Padres almost moved to D.C. in '74 before Ray Kroc of all people stepped in and kept the team west. 

But yeah - I guess if the Miami market can hold on to its team for as long as it has, D.C. ought to be fine.

Mark Zuckerman list all of the 61 players invited to spring training - 40 on the big league roster and 21 ron-roster invitees:

RIGHT-HANDERS (23): Austin Adams, A.J. Cole, Jimmy Cordero, Brady Dragmire, Erick Fedde, Koda Glover, David Goforth, Trevor Gott, Edwin Jackson, Shawn Kelley, Brandon Kintzler, Jaron Long, Ryan Madson, Roman Mendez, Tanner Roark, Jefry Rodriguez, Joe Ross, Max Scherzer, Chris Smith, Stephen Strasburg, Wander Suero, Cesar Vargas, Austin Voth

LEFT-HANDERS (9): Tim Collins, Sean Doolittle, Gio Gonzalez, Matt Grace, Ismael Guillon, Bryan Harper, Tom Milone, Enny Romero, Sammy Solís

CATCHERS (6): Taylor Gushue, Spencer Kieboom, Miguel Montero, Pedro Severino, Jhonatan Solano, Matt Wieters

INFIELDERS (14): Osvaldo Abreu, Matt Adams, Reid Brignac, Wilmer Difo, Chris Dominguez, Kelvin Gutierrez, Howie Kendrick, Jose Marmolejos, Daniel Murphy, Adrián Sanchez, Anthony Rendon, Matt Reynolds, Trea Turner, Ryan Zimmerman

OUTFIELDERS (9): Rafael Bautista, Adam Eaton, Brian Goodwin, Bryce Harper, Ryan Raburn, Victor Robles, Moises Sierra, Andrew Stevenson, Michael A. Taylor

His post includes further info about some of the names on the list:

http://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2018/02/nats-announce-minor-league-invitees-61-total-players-in-camp.html

Archived