Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Last 2 years Tanner is 22-26 with about a 4.50 ERA, 4.2 FIP. He was okay. 

He took one for the team in 2015 when he was asked to be a jack-of-all trades - long reliever, set-up man, spot starter - instead of being an every 5th day starter.  Tough assignment to take on and thrive at.  The seasons before and after 2015 were really REALLY good.

9 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

He took one for the team in 2015 when he was asked to be a jack-of-all trades - long reliever, set-up man, spot starter - instead of being an every 5th day starter.  Tough assignment to take on and thrive at.  

Totally agree. Love Tanner for that. 

The seasons before and after 2015 were really REALLY good.

2017 and 2018 are seasons after 2015 and they were mediocre, at best. Tanner is a guy that’s super easy to root for*, but if you just go Machiavelli and look at the raw results recently, he’s upgradable. 

*I particularly loved his family coming in droves to watch him dominate the Cubs at Wrigley. 

11 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Totally agree. Love Tanner

11 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

2017 and 2018 are seasons after 2015 and they were mediocre, at best. 

I meant the seasons immediately before and after 2015. Agree that he dropped off the last two seasons.

I do want to learn more about new Tanner.  He’s younger, and his minors numbers look impressive. 

Good Cincinnati Inquirer piece on Tanner Rainey from just before last season.   97-98 mph fastball, wicked slider, prefers relieving to starting.  Was a pitcher and power hitting first baseman in college.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2018/03/09/cincinnati-reds-prospect-tanner-rainey-making-big-impression-his-big-fastball-and-slider/411759002/

10 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

We squeezed everything we could out of Roark. He's got nothing left.

Exactly. I think he is on the decline. This the second year in a row he's been very inconsistent and the crater is coming. It wouldn't shock me if he had a high-4, low-5 ERA this year

21 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Exactly. I think he is on the decline. This the second year in a row he's been very inconsistent and the crater is coming. It wouldn't shock me if he had a high-4, low-5 ERA this year

This, plus factoring in team control (FA after this year), plus factoring in the wealth of available pitchers on the FA market, is why we traded him. We’ll find a better use of $10m this year. 

I think what he's trying to say is Bryce isnt going pull an Arod or Cano and just go to the highest bidder.  If a contender, those last few teams mentioned, don't break the bank for him he'd settle for a short term deal with the Nats and try his hand in 2-4 years at free agency again. 

I think the White Sox make a decent amount of sense.  They are in one of the largest media markets, but have to compete for interest with the Cubs.  Harper would immediately ramp up their ability to command attention.  Harper's young enough they the Sox could build the team around him if they are willing to spend.  Although, by that logic he should just go to the Mets.

The White Sox could be intriguing. They have a couple of real high-ceiling guys coming: Eloy Jimenez has some prodigious power from the right side--hit 28 HRs in AA and AAA last year, in just 108 games. He could form a nice tandem with Harper in the 3-4 slot. They have Michael Kopech, and his 100-mph fastball, on the cusp with Dylan Cease right behind him. They are the #4 overall farm system.

Archived