Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Maybe, about to turn 26, Harper's best years are yet to come.  But personally I dont see this as "must keep at all costs" situation.  

You saying you don't want to get into a bidding war?  I mean, from the way he's talking, he definitely wants to come back. 

My rule with letting players walk is replacing that production. You aren't replacing Harpers production with say Soto when they are already playing together, their combined output on this current roster barely broke 500, so how does anyone expect this tram to look if let a 100 RBI just leave without a clear replacement of that production? 

He's 26, we have the money, just do it instead of wishing what coulda been. 

It honestly will probably come down to paying Harper this year or Rendon next year. I don’t think we could or should pay them both. So who is easier to backfill with guys we already have on the roster? 

Rendon replacement: you can say Carter Kieboom is likely to assume a starting infield position by 2020 but you don’t know how effective of an MLB player he’ll be. And then we still need a 2B and a 1B. We have a few IF holes the next two years. 

Harper replacement: we have Robles, Soto, and Eaton set as our opening day outfield next year. We don’t need to sign anyone else. 

So it’s clearly easier to replace Harper than Rendon. I’m not saying don’t try to sign Harper, I’m just saying if/when he signs elsewhere it’s not the end of the world and it drastically increases the odds we sign Rendon. 

7 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

it will happen simply because it is worse for the Nationals

follow that principle and you will rarely be wrong

They'll get all of the calls, all.of the breaks, and it'll be bums like Charlie Culberson doinf most of the damage.

On 10/2/2018 at 8:55 AM, skinsfan_1215 said:

It honestly will probably come down to paying Harper this year or Rendon next year. I don’t think we could or should pay them both. So who is easier to backfill with guys we already have on the roster? 

Rendon replacement: you can say Carter Kieboom is likely to assume a starting infield position by 2020 but you don’t know how effective of an MLB player he’ll be. And then we still need a 2B and a 1B. We have a few IF holes the next two years. 

Harper replacement: we have Robles, Soto, and Eaton set as our opening day outfield next year. We don’t need to sign anyone else. 

So it’s clearly easier to replace Harper than Rendon. I’m not saying don’t try to sign Harper, I’m just saying if/when he signs elsewhere it’s not the end of the world and it drastically increases the odds we sign Rendon. 

Would you rather have:

Harper and no Rendon

OR 

Rendon and no Harper, plus a stud catcher OR strong #3 for the rotation

Because that's realistically what this comes down to. We either keep a position of strength or weaken a position of strength and attempt to spread the wealth. If we retain Harper, we are going to be shopping for bargains elsewhere and may lose Rendon. 

Baseball requires lots of good players to win, not 1-2 superstars like in the NBA. Who's the one superstar on Milwaukee? Or Oakland? Take Boston and New York out of it, they're on different playing fields financially. Rendon + 2 other B to B+ players > Harper and average players at other positions.

4 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

Harper, Rendon, stud C, and a strong #3 are all possible with Mark Lerner now running things. He understands more than Ted what it takes to compete on the national landscape. 

Add Soto, Robles, Turner, Zimm, Kendrick. That's a solid lineup.

On 10/5/2018 at 5:09 PM, Popeman38 said:

Harper, Rendon, stud C, and a strong #3 are all possible with Mark Lerner now running things. He understands more than Ted what it takes to compete on the national landscape. 

I don't understand the point in being frugal when the Yankess and Red Sox aren't, they won 100 games this year.  I'm sorry, there's no salary cap, there's no excuse for a team top 10 in value in the league running around acting like Oakland.  To hell with that, make it rain, keep our young players and better players so we arent a fringe roster like we are right now.  Lerner has more money than the Yankess or Red Sox owner.  New York added a super star to the young players they brought up like Judge, ADDED one.

20 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Watch him throw a 3 hit shutout over 7 innings...

If he does and the Brewers win, he'll be the most popular guy in Wisconsin...

because the local "George Webb" restaurant chain has promised Wisconsinites that they'll receive free burgers if the team wins 12 games in a row, honoring a promotion from the 1940s when the owner of the chain predicted team winning streaks prior to each season. When George's son Jim took over the company, he formalized the promotion that a 12-game winning streak would net free burgers for the city. 

A win Friday would make it 12 in a row for the Brewers.  

Archived