Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

We can only hope that this energized Harper. I was talking with a friend while we were at the beach last week watching Nat's games that Harper seemed uncharacteristicly medium, he normally has emotional outbursts here and there and for like a month or so there has been nothing. Like he isn't having fun, something off the field is bothering him or the contract is weighing heavily on his mind. We were joking that he needed to break his bat over his knee after a strike out or just something. Last night was the most fired up he's been in months. We need that Bryce Harper the rest of the year, not the Jim Zorn just staying medium Bryce Harper.

4 minutes ago, Zazzaro703 said:

We can only hope that this energized Harper. I was talking with a friend while we were at the beach last week watching Nat's games that Harper seemed uncharacteristicly medium, he normally has emotional outbursts here and there and for like a month or so there has been nothing. Like he isn't having fun, something off the field is bothering him or the contract is weighing heavily on his mind. We were joking that he needed to break his bat over his knee after a strike out or just something. Last night was the most fired up he's been in months. We need that Bryce Harper the rest of the year, not the Jim Zorn just staying medium Bryce Harper.

Chelsea Jane wrote an article on this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2018/07/17/at-the-home-run-derby-bryce-harper-and-d-c-fell-back-in-love-at-least-for-one-night/?utm_term=.fe31cc553883

9 minutes ago, Zazzaro703 said:

Pretty good article, I don't read the WaPo for the most part unless it's something related to sports and linked from here so I hadn't seen that this morning. Thank you for sharing

N.M  Wrong thread.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Bryce put on a show last night. But it kinda felt like it was his farewell to D.C.

That's better than him not showing up at all, I guess. I've been comfortable with the idea of him leaving ever since Soto's meteoric rise and yesterday was a terrific feelgood evening to remind everyone of the good times. 

But I firmly believe we'll be fine without him. If he wants to elevate that with a team-friendly contract, that's on him. Best to assume that he won't. 

3 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

It appears Harper loves playing for Davey.  If Manny goes to LA, i can see the Cubs being our only competition, but Bryce seems like one of those guys who wants to stay in 1 spot for his entire career. 

Dodgers need OF-ers in the worst way and can afford both Harps and Macho.

2 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

So Treinen has pinpoint control now huh?

forgot all about him til he was named an all-star

dude had no idea where that ball was going last year

speaks more to the fact that you can never tell how a pitcher will react to a different voice in his ear

BA on the Future's Game standouts:

Most Underrated (For Now): Luis Garcia, SS, Nationals 

Garcia was a favorite among international scouts when he signed out of the Dominican Republic, ranking as the No. 3 international prospect in the 2016 class. He ranked as the No. 4 prospect last year in the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League, but he has yet to make an appearance on BA's Top 100 Prospects list. That’s going to change very soon in our next update.

Garcia is just 18, but the Nationals have already promoted him to the high Class A Carolina League. Playing in his possible future home ballpark, Garcia had just one plate appearance but didn’t look like an overmatched 18-year-old. The lefthanded-hitting Garcia look comfortable against Rangers lefty C.D. Pelham pumping upper-90s fastballs, swinging through the first pitch he saw before working his way back to a six-pitch walk. Then he showed baserunning savvy going first to third on a groundball to right field where a lot of players would have finished the play standing on second base. Garcia’s .302/.336/.397 is good for an 18-year-old even if it might not jump off the page, but he’s absolutely a prospect on the rise.

My “not a scout” take on Garcia for seeing him in two games last week is that he definitely looks like a big league ballplayer in the making. Watching Potomac, you can kinda tell the guys that have a real future in the sport vs those that will play for a few years and fizzle out. He’s only 18, has a mouth full of braces, but he’s clearly a fluid athlete with a ton of upside. 

Archived