Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

People are drawing comparisons to the Cubs, but I'll also point you to the Caps. I'm an outsider so I'm allowed to not completely panic :)

Just with the local perception and everyone ready to pull the plug, it seems so similar. I know everyone in DC has to act like they knew the Caps would win all along, but this town was ready to turn on Ovi, Trotz, etc. They were FAILING in the eyes of a lot of fans as evidenced by tweets, posts on this board, local radio call-ins, etc. 

The Nats are no different, so there would be a very appealing symmetry to the Nats steadying the ship, overcoming two upstart teams who could run out of steam at any time, and then making some noise in October. 

15 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm an outsider so I'm allowed to not completely panic :)

All panic is welcome! When a problem comes, we like to run around, scream, and shout. And possibly eat our feelings.

17 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

The Nats are no different, so there would be a very appealing symmetry to the Nats steadying the ship, overcoming two upstart teams who could run out of steam at any time, and then making some noise in October. 

I hope so, but there is so much that needs to do a complete 180, that it's really hard to see it happening. 42-24 is a daunting number getting to 90 wins--with full series against the Brewers, Cubs, Cardinals (although they aren't very good, we always have our trouble with them), still to play. Plus we have really struggled in our own division.

article states that some around the league think we're more open to involving Robles

I wouldn't do it. Realmuto would help, but I dont think he alone makes us a playoff lock. Only thing worse than missing the playoffs this year is giving up Robles and still missing the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

All panic is welcome! When a problem comes, we like to run around, scream, and shout. And possibly eat our feelings.

I hope so, but there is so much that needs to do a complete 180, that it's really hard to see it happening. 42-24 is a daunting number getting to 90 wins--with full series against the Brewers, Cubs, Cardinals (although they aren't very good, we always have our trouble with them), still to play. Plus we have really struggled in our own division.

I'm not predicting it (remember, I'm the guy who told you a month ago to sell Harper - haha), just saying it would be a cool story. 

I also don't buy into the 90-win requirement either. One element of a playoff run for the Nats would have to include the Phillies and Braves fading. I don't think they can gain ground on both teams without those teams slowing down considerably. The good news is, if that happens I don't know that you'll need 90 wins. 

36 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

article states that some around the league think we're more open to involving Robles

I wouldn't do it. Realmuto would help, but I dont think he alone makes us a playoff lock. Only thing worse than missing the playoffs this year is giving up Robles and still missing the playoffs.

Realmuto also solves a *massive* hole for the next two seasons. 

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

That seems very un-Rizzo like. And also stupid.

Archived