Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

14 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

This team is bad. 

Evident since the first month of the season.

Wasn't one guy not getting the clutch hit or moving the line.

Wasn't one pitcher getting lit up constantly.

Full team effort of sucktitude, all year. Can't even blame Davey, imo. Just one of those years. No juice.

The reasons for this lost season started long before the season when they didn't bring Dusty back.  IMO, you don't hand over a veteran team over to a rookie manager.  Dusty had a good relationship with them, especially Bryce IMO.  I think Bryce respected him a lot.  If Martinez was given a young team, then struggles could've been expected.  Just because he was on Joe Maddon's staff, doesn't mean he was going to be a Joe Maddon clone.  Martinez is a .500 manager and that's it.  Maybe he'll get there, I don't know.  The Lerners made their bed last offseason and now they, and rest of us are lying in it.

1 hour ago, SAli457180 said:

IMO, you don't hand over a veteran team over to a rookie manager.

Red Sox did, Yankees did, 2016 Dodgers did, for the 2nd time, they did it with Mattingly also.

The manager has very little to do with this debacke. Dusty definitely would not be doing any better.

22 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

The manager has very little to do with this debacke. Dusty definitely would not be doing any better.

I may add injuries to the list, but all things do start at the top. I really hope that Harper comes back, even though he's struggling this year because he's the face of this franchise and if he does leave, it will back to square one for this franchise.  Soto may be good but he's a complete unknown at this point to me

19 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

I may add injuries to the list, but all things do start at the top. I really hope that Harper comes back, even though he's struggling this year because he's the face of this franchise and if he does leave, it will back to square one for this franchise.  Soto may be good but he's a complete unknown at this point to me

Bryce leaving won't put the club back as long as they spend the money that would have been allocated to Bryce wisely.

3 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Red Sox did, Yankees did, 2016 Dodgers did, for the 2nd time, they did it with Mattingly also.

Was gunna come here to say the same thing.

People overvalue Managers at times(and coaches in general in sports). At some point, players gotta play.

Obviously, managers can do some incredibly stupid things over the course of the season, but if Martinez was holding the team back, you would have noticed by now. He's not putting his team in a poor position to win every day, they just aren't executing for him.

I knew his "luck" was down, but didn't realize the numbers were that drastic

that said, it seems like he's just been in worse counts during this stretch despite his high number of walks. During that one particular bad stretch of his, it seemed like he was 0-2 every count in the blink of an eye

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Was gunna come here to say the same thing.

People overvalue Managers at times(and coaches in general in sports). At some point, players gotta play.

He isn't making colossally stupid in-game decisions--like Matt Williams loading the bases for Lucas Duda, who had already homered twice in the game.

Much of it is injuries and bad luck. How many times have we scorched balls right at people, especially with men on? There is a lot of poor performance too--Roark, Gio, Madson, Catcher etc, so this isn't a just a case of the baseball gods hating us.

Luck might explain a little bit of a drop off in average, but when you're hitting sub .220, you're straight up stinking up the joint. He's swinging at bad balls and chasing because the team is struggling and he's putting the onus on himself to put up #s and carry the team. We've seen him do that before.

Archived