Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

46 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I would absolutely entertain offers. You can always sign him back or just move forward with the other great OFs you have. 

Getting prospects back for Harper would allow us to build a core of said prospects + Soto and Robles that would allow us to maintain competitiveness. And the money we're not committing to Harper is money towards a possible extension for Rendon and Turner while still having a lot left for a 3rd SP(Gio is gone) and a new C and 2B(not sure Difo is full time starter material).

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Getting prospects back for Harper would allow us to build a core of said prospects + Soto and Robles that would allow us to maintain competitiveness. And the money we're not committing to Harper is money towards a possible extension for Rendon and Turner while still having a lot left for a 3rd SP(Gio is gone) and a new C and 2B(not sure Difo is full time starter material).

I've been posting in here for the past several weeks that you guys should look to move Harper. Granted, if you get hot in the next 2-3 weeks it's tougher, but if you dip a few games under .500 and/or fall to 8-10 games out of first in the division prior to the deadline, I don't see what you gain by holding him. 

There are two outcomes in the off-season, either you sign him or you don't. Either outcome is made more attractive by getting letting a team with 2018 World Series aspirations give you prospects for him. Not to mention, even in the scenario where the Nats re-sign him...you've potentially showcased another OF for a future trade. 

In short, I think it's almost certain that he'll be somewhere else next year, so if it doesn't look like you guys will keep up with the Phils and/or Braves, you should let teams know you're entertaining offers. 

26 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

i'm on your boat finally.  although i think this is a great year for us in the NL to make the WS, trading harper would build this team for another 5-10 years. 

It would help with like one key piece in all likelihood. Not gonna get a big return for a half year rental of a guy that’s still struggling. 

14 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

It would help with like one key piece in all likelihood. Not gonna get a big return for a half year rental of a guy that’s still struggling. 

It's one more piece than you have now. 

Again, there's 2 more weeks' worth of games to play so much can change. But I don't see what having him in August and September is worth if you guys fall out of the race. If by July 28th you're only 4-5 games back then you should probably hold him and hope you make a run. But if you're further back (and still 3rd) then the wiser long-term move is to get value for him. 

I understand the irony that this is coming from an Orioles fan...but if anyone knows about missing out on the opportunity to re-stock a system by holding assets too long, it's me 

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Regarding trading Harper, I think he's earned a farewell tour here.  

Not a bad way of looking at it, but that could be said for plenty of players who get traded. The Pirates traded McCutchen and I'm crossing my fingers that the O's trade Jones. Both those guys deserve more of a farewell tour, in my opinion, than Harper. 

At the end of the day, you do what's best for the team. 

I wouldn't trade Harper.  There's an off chance he gets hot and carries us to the post season.  If he gets traded now, there's no chance we get a truly top-line prospect, given his struggles this year and the fact that he's a short term rental.  If we hold on to him now and he leaves as a free agent, we get some decent draft choices as compensation.  I would guess that the difference between the prospect return on a trade and the yield of those draft choices (in Rizzo's hands) is pretty small.  I think the goodwill gained by a well-earned farewell tour and the clubhouse discord avoided is worth holding him for as long as we can.  I still think there's a chance he becomes a generational type player that dominates for 5+ years in his prime.  I'm a lot less confident about that than I was a year or two ago, but still, the potential is there.

Now, if someone offers us multiple prospects in the Soto-Robles class, its a different discussion.  But I seriously doubt that would happen.

2 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

I wouldn't trade Harper.  There's an off chance he gets hot and carries us to the post season.  If he gets traded now, there's no chance we get a truly top-line prospect, given his struggles this year and the fact that he's a short term rental.  If we hold on to him now and he leaves as a free agent, we get some decent draft choices as compensation.  I would guess that the difference between the prospect return on a trade and the yield of those draft choices (in Rizzo's hands) is pretty small.  I think the goodwill gained by a well-earned farewell tour and the clubhouse discord avoided is worth holding him for as long as we can.  I still think there's a chance he becomes a generational type player that dominates for 5+ years in his prime.  I'm a lot less confident about that than I was a year or two ago, but still, the potential is there.

Now, if someone offers us multiple prospects in the Soto-Robles class, its a different discussion.  But I seriously doubt that would happen.

Well, of course the return would need to be worth it. I've only argued for the past 2-3 weeks that the Nats should listen to offers, not trade him for whatever they can get. I would also only pull the trigger if you fall too far out of the race. If you stay .500 and within 6ish games of lead, I agree that you can't bail on the season with 2 full months to go. 

10 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Not a bad way of looking at it, but that could be said for plenty of players who get traded. The Pirates traded McCutchen and I'm crossing my fingers that the O's trade Jones. Both those guys deserve more of a farewell tour, in my opinion, than Harper. 

At the end of the day, you do what's best for the team. 

I know, and 99% of the time I'm fairly ruthless about this type of thing.  I just don't think they get much for Harper as a half-season rental batting .213, so I'd rather just keep him.

1 minute ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Two tickets, 300 each.

300 level

I would, but I'm having surgery on my foot the day before.  :(

7 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Anyone want tickets to the All Star game?

I do how much?

i think this series and the ATL series will show Rizzo what we have to do.  We have to take 3 out of 4 from mets and 2/3 from ATL.  If we don't win a combo of 5 games in those 2 series, i think its a firesafe

Archived