Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

Dang, I would have signed Bree for 3/24/11. I dont think he would have taken that from us though. 

Odd feeling. We draft and develop some guys and they turn out good .. but by the end of their rookie deals they want to get the hell out of DC. I know you cant please all the people all the time but it strikes me as odd that these players who are held up on a pedastool and have average people likes us slobbering over them still feel slighted and unwanted. Like the money, hoes and clothes aint enough. 

Guys, Breeland wasn't bad. He was a solid starter. The team does think that Moreau can take his spot or now about $7.2 million less per year. That's an okay decision to make. But don't pretend like Breeland was a bad CB! We have some young talent there behind Norman. Of course, adding a vet will help, but I also expect we spend a draft pick (anywhere really) on the position too.

1 minute ago, hatchetwound said:

I think we will disagree a bit on Breeland.  PFF has him as the #54 CB.  That puts him squarely in the top #2 CB's

I kind of think you proved my point there. He's in the bottom half of #2 CBs... that's not a guy that anyone should be desperate to sign. And not someone who I'd refer to as "good." 

Breeland was not awful at times but others you wondered if he ever played corner before. 8 million was fair for him but not by the Skins. We have players in place to absorb this loss. That 8 million should go to a starting guard, d-lineman, or inside backer. Good choice by the FO not to resign.

1 minute ago, CTskin said:

I kind of think you proved my point there. He's in the bottom half of #2 CBs... that's not a guy that anyone should be desperate to sign. And not someone who I'd refer to as "good." 

No, he is most likely a top #2 CBs.  They also lump in slot corners in that rating if memories serves me right.  Because of that if you skim off the top #1 CBs, which leaves you with 22 CBs, but there are a lot of slot corners in there as well, lets say 10 or 15, that easily puts him in the top half of #2 CBs. 

I know its kind of simple math, but that's how I'm thinking about it.  Now we have to replace him :table2:

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Ugh. Sounds like a contract I wish we'd be competed for especially because of the loss of Fuller. Breeland when his head is right is a pretty good corner.

Agreed. On that deal Breeland is relatively cheap for a good starting corner. And he IS a good starting corner - not a Pro Bowler, not great-  but good. You can never have enough good corners.

2 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Breeland is a steal for 8 million a year where was our front office??

I'm not agreeing with you much today. $8m is a good deal for Carolina, sure. But we've drafted to replace him. Moreau and Dunbar are penciled in to be CB2 and CB3.

Draft players, develop them, keep some, let others walk. Rinse and repeat.

It's what winning franchiese do. I'm not saying we're a winning franchise, but I don't mind this. We drafted to expect Breeland to go.

Also, I don't think he wanted to be back here, so you canp't force him to sign a deal, either.

1 minute ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Unless they plan on replacing him with someone who has been on our team like some of our young CBs we drafted.

That is a fair point.  Maybe I need to wait an dsee.  I just hate losing our starters to other teams.  I wish we could just add a few pieces and move forward, not replace and maybe stand pat.

To pipe down the Breeland debate.

PFF Ratings:

Breeland- 79, Dunbar- 80. And I'm confident that Moreau will be better than both.

I don't think that the PFF Rating is the end-all be-all rating, but we're saving a lot of money by letting him walk... while also replacing him with a cheaper, "better" player. I hate giving the FO credit just as much as the rest of you, but this was definitely the correct move.

7 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

Agreed.  He is better than serviceable.  Now we have to replace him and wont know what we are getting.

Fabian Moreau is a highly rated player who dropped to us by injury, Quintin Dunbar has done well in starts forced due to injury.

I do think any CB we draft this year in the 1st or 2nd roudn (if we do) will be NOT for this year necessarily, but to eventually replace Norman when we cut ties with him in 1-2 years. You try to draft BPA so that you're not drafting for needs but best player there.

It's why I wouldnt be surprised if we drafted a CB early this year and wouldnt hate it. And if we decide to go with a 5th round CB for depth that's just fine. It's how teams operate.

It's why it was smart to draft Doctson when we did. It's why it would be smart to actually draft a Tackle/Guard combo early this year if we chose to (for depth but also LG and potentially in case Scherff left in 2 years). You get the idea.

Bree will automatically look better in Carolina because they have one of the best D-lines in the NFL. Sounds like a good deal for panthers. Now we are stuck with overpaid Norman that can't catch Int that hit him right in the hands but at least he can punch the ball well :/

but.. one interesting thing is that while Skins cant seem to draft RBs or WRs worth a damn, they seem to do one hell of a job finding CB gems both in draft and FA.. so I am sure they'll find someone decent to take his spot. Now d line is a different story

Just now, fordranger76 said:

Breeland was not awful at times but others you wondered if he ever played corner before. 8 million was fair for him but not by the Skins. We have players in place to absorb this loss. That 8 million should go to a starting guard, d-lineman, or inside backer. Good choice by the FO not to resign.

A few games last year it appeared like Bree didnt study the weekly game plan. I think one game when Norman was mic'd up, Bree was asking him about formations and his responsibilities/where to line up in the pre game warm ups. Just a hunch, but I think Swearinger was referring in part to Bree about players not practicing the right way during the week preparing for games. 

Im a fan of Bree, he was one of our own ... but he checked out so he had to get checked out. Dont mind the business end of it. He was mentally weak imo.  

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I'm not agreeing with you much today. $8m is a good deal for Carolina, sure. But we've drafted to replace him. Moreau and Dunbar are penciled in to be CB2 and CB3.

Draft players, develop them, keep some, let others walk. Rinse and repeat.

It's what winning franchiese do. I'm not saying we're a winning franchise, but I don't mind this. We drafted to expect Breeland to go.

Also, I don't think he wanted to be back here, so you canp't force him to sign a deal, either.

We draft develop and send young talent away , Breeland was drafted here and is a damn good no.2 corner how does he not fit the mold of draft and develop in house plus he’s only 26 is that old now?

Why is it our players are never viewed as good until they hit free agency?

We let 3 players go last year and people griped but none of them had any impact on the teams they played for.

We knew Breeland was most likely gone, he's replaceable and I don't think he's that smart, he reminds me of Dez Bryant.

2 minutes ago, CTskin said:

To pipe down the Breeland debate.

PFF Ratings:

Breeland- 79, Dunbar- 80. And I'm confident that Moreau will be better than both.

I don't think that the PFF Rating is the end-all be-all rating, but we're saving a lot of money by letting him walk... while also replacing him with a cheaper, "better" player. I hate giving the FO credit just as much as the rest of you, but this was definitely the correct move.

Quoting myself, real cool, I know. But to add on- would you rather see just about the same CB play, if not better, while saving the $8M on Breeland and using it on a stud DT or keep Breeland and drop our available cap down to $7M?

Archived