Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Our schedule will be brutal. So I would differentiate between "better record" and "better team"

I fully expect that if you replace Cousins with Smith and change nothing else about the team, we'd be better by default based on progression of young players and being fully healthy. Much better, in fact.

Add in a speed-receiver, a dominant DL in FA, and some more draft picks, factoring in for health, I'd expect our team to be exceedingly better in 2018. Although our record may not reflect it.

Not to minimize who we would lose in FA. Brown, Breeland, Murphy and Galette are no JAGs ... but I'd expect they'd be replaced to a certain degree. If anything, just based on being healthy, we'd be better. ANd I think we got better by adding Richardson and presumably a RB later on in the draft.

Sorry but how can you possibly think replacing cousins and changing nothing else makes this team better?? Cousins has outplayed Smith from 2015-2017 Smith was no where near on his level 2015 adn 2016, If we replaced cousins with smith and Gruden with Andy Reid and Bruce Allen with Brett Veach then yeah MAYBE we would be better and thats not even including losing our best young talent at CB...

2 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Sorry but how can you possibly think replacing cousins and changing nothing else makes this team better?? Cousins has outplayed Smith from 2015-2017 Smith was no where near on his level 2015 adn 2016, If we replaced cousins with smith and Gruden with Andy Reid and Bruce Allen with Brett Veach then yeah MAYBE we would be better and thats not even including losing our best young talent at CB...

Cousins had better stats than Smith. That doesn't mean he outplayed him. Smith played as he needed to in order to make his team a winner. Sometimes, that means sacrificing stats or leaning on the run to burn clock and seal the win.

You may be right, but I think Smith is one of those guys who seems to always get things done and is always under-credited. 

2 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Our OL was completely decimated last year. Our best DL missed most of the season (and was a rookie playing extremely well). We also lost our ILB 2-4 for big chunks of the season, as well as our starting FS (also a rookie playing really well).

Like many, I think Smith = Cousins ... and if there's any difference it would be a slight downgrade at worst and a slight upgrade at best.

The Redskins of Week 1-6 was a much better team than the ones of Weeks 7-17. That is purely injuries.

If you think Smith is a massive downgrade, then that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I just think that the team can and should be better simply by getting healthy, improving the DL and adding speed and a stud RB on offense. Simple.

I hope Richardson works out. He is not comparable at all to Tyreek Hill who lines up in the backfield and plays physical and fast. Richardson doesn't look polished at all, there are a lot of fast receivers in this league who are not particularly great receivers.  Desean was the ideal speedy receiver who knew how to use his speed and knew when to let off to get separation. Even in Richardson's HIGHLIGHT film he gets little separation. Most of his highlights are him making very good catches with guys around him. (highlight film doesn't show the easy balls he dropped) I don't think I saw one play where he was not taken down by first contact and I didn't see many highlights of him blowing past anybody the way guys like Jackson, Cooks and Hill do, in fact he got caught from behind a couple times without the db needing to take an angle. Again I hope he works but quite the investment for a guy who had one year as a #2/#3 receiver.  

At this point Crowder is a better NFL receiver than him and we all hope Doctson becomes our #1. We are paying $8mil/year to a potential #3 receiving option. Seattle is not exactly loaded at receiver and I get the feeling that they were not going to paying anything close to what we gave him to retain him. He is the type of guy we should be able to draft. 

Just now, Burgold said:

Cousins had better stats than Smith. That doesn't mean he outplayed him. Smith played as he needed to in order to make his team a winner. Sometimes, that means sacrificing stats or leaning on the run to burn clock and seal the win.

You may be right, but I think Smith is one of those guys who seems to always get things done and is always under-credited. 

I lived in Kansas city for 2 years on a contract and watching him in 2015 and 2016, their offense was pathetic in fact one of those years i dont even think he recorded a passing td to a receiver till week 10...the chiefs defense and teams made plays when they had to to win games yes Alex Smith probably wont LOSE games for us but hes no where near the qb Cousins is its just pure fact we will see it soon enough Draft Thompson in PPR leagues hes gonna get a lot of passes his way 5 yards out on 3rd and long.

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

I went by this

https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver

And did maybe I'm missing something wouldn't be the first time, appreciate trying to help me out

That list would pit him at 22, but FA makes the numbers higher.  Cousins will be one on the QB list, doesn't mean he's considered the best.

Some will depend on when contract was signed, a 5 year deal in the last year will look like a steal.  He also mentioned guys on second contracts because guys like Beckham, Cooper and similar are under ~5mill because they haven't hit FA.  So while his cap may be 22nd, that's part of how FA works.  It's also why some of the best teams stay that way with good drafting....but that's not for the FA thread.

1 minute ago, CTskin said:

Does that include Hopkins, Everett and signing rookies?

$31 million was before Hopkins and Everett, I think. FWIW, I think the cap hit for Rchardson will be around $5m this year. So probably around $25-26m right now, or better put, $18-20m in spending money after picks and saving $$ for the season.

Sheldon Richardson/Mo Wilkerson signing a $8-10 APY deal with us would probably have a cap hit of $6-8m this year depending on the APY number ... so you could still fit a big DL signing plus another big one or 3-4 medium-range ones or 1 big one and 2-3 mid-range guys ($2-4m APY)

Cap hit projections for signings (Rough):

Premier DL (Mo or Sheldon): $7m cap hit

Vet CB (like DRC): $3m cap hit

Premier ILB (Brown/Bradham): $6m cap hit

Plan B ILB (P. Brown, N. Bowman): $3m cap hit

Solid LG (Jonathan Cooper or Joeckell/Mewhort types): $3m cap hit

So after an assumed $5m hit on Richardson's deal, you're looking at about 18m in cap spending money after accounding for all other projected expenses. WIth that $18m, you can fit quite a few of the above into the equation.

Richardson, + DRC + Bradham + Cooper = $19m in cap hits for 2018

30 minutes ago, EasternNCbywayofNOVA said:

I hope Richardson works out. He is not comparable at all to Tyreek Hill who lines up in the backfield and plays physical and fast. Richardson doesn't look polished at all, there are a lot of fast receivers in this league who are not particularly great receivers.  Desean was the ideal speedy receiver who knew how to use his speed and knew when to let off to get separation. Even in Richardson's HIGHLIGHT film he gets little separation. Most of his highlights are him making very good catches with guys around him. (highlight film doesn't show the easy balls he dropped) I don't think I saw one play where he was not taken down by first contact and I didn't see many highlights of him blowing past anybody the way guys like Jackson, Cooks and Hill do, in fact he got caught from behind a couple times without the db needing to take an angle. Again I hope he works but quite the investment for a guy who had one year as a #2/#3 receiver.  

At this point Crowder is a better NFL receiver than him and we all hope Doctson becomes our #1. We are paying $8mil/year to a potential #3 receiving option. Seattle is not exactly loaded at receiver and I get the feeling that they were not going to paying anything close to what we gave him to retain him. He is the type of guy we should be able to draft. 

Was going to ask who is Richardson. I see he is another BA JAG but paying him 8M!!!!  That's really going to hamstring the team. How are we going to build the team around our new QB?

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Cap hit projections for signings (Rough):

Premier DL (Mo or Sheldon): $7m cap hit

Vet CB (like DRC): $3m cap hit

Premier ILB (Brown/Bradham): $6m cap hit

Plan B ILB (P. Brown, N. Bowman): $3m cap hit

Solid LG (Jonathan Cooper or Joeckell/Mewhort types): $3m cap hit

So after an assumed $5m hit on Richardson's deal, you're looking at about 18m in cap spending money after accounding for all other projected expenses. WIth that $18m, you can fit quite a few of the above into the equation.

Richardson, + DRC + Bradham + Cooper = $19m in cap hits for 2018

You also have the luxury of reworking williams, norman or kerrigan to wiggle some more out if needed. 

DT Richardson + CB DRC + ILB Bowman + LG Joeckel = $16m in cap hits, leaving about $9-10 million for rookies and in-season flexibility.

Keep in mind, I'm only talking about guys that will def. stick on the roster. Not veterans or camp bodies that won't end up counting toward the 53-man cap space ...

Bowman is intriguing to me. Was in San Fran ... may have connections with Tomsula ... he's 29 ... could be the starter at ILB and we could draf a guy to groom ... but anyway, just some examples.

2 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Was going to ask who is Richardson. I see he is another BA JAG but paying him 8M!!!!  That's really going to hamstring the team. How are we going to build the team around our new QB?

Huh. Interesting take I guess. He was my #1 WR target this year. And given the market for WRs, I actually think $8m APY is a pretty good deal. Just me though.

14 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

$31 million was before Hopkins and Everett, I think. FWIW, I think the cap hit for Rchardson will be around $5m this year. So probably around $25-26m right now, or better put, $18-20m in spending money after picks and saving $$ for the season.

Sheldon Richardson/Mo Wilkerson signing a $8-10 APY deal with us would probably have a cap hit of $6-8m this year depending on the APY number ... so you could still fit a big DL signing plus another big one or 3-4 medium-range ones or 1 big one and 2-3 mid-range guys ($2-4m APY)

11 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

Doesn't show Hopkins (+ 1.5 M)or Everett (+ .5M) and doesn't account for rookies (~6.5M) so that still ~21 M if I'm adding right.

Right, my number is what you have Steve... 

$21 - $6 (Richardson avgs $8M/yr, so 6M for year 1 is a fair projection) = $15M ... which is the number I've been throwing around.

And my deal with the FO is that they can can overpay some scrub for $5M like they always feel the need to do as long as they also sign a stud. For all the Suh lovers, he's on his way to NE for a visit...

5 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

No offense but you really shouldn't have a strong opinion if you don't know who the guy is, don't even recognize his name. That should be like, Opinions 101. 

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

DT Richardson + CB DRC + ILB Bowman + LG Joeckel = $16m in cap hits, leaving about $9-10 million for rookies and in-season flexibility.

Buddy, you're using the wrong number to work off of. We have $15-$16M to work with right now.

Archived