Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Agreed. We don't pay them 10mil plus per year, they don't perform, we don't get picks. Seems fair enough. 

I looked it up.

Doctson had 35 catches for 502 yards and 6 tds,

Garcon had 40, 500 and 0, Jackson 50, 668 and 3

So Doctson probably performed a little better than Garcon and not much worse than Jackson

1 hour ago, carex said:

I looked it up.

Doctson had 35 catches for 502 yards and 6 tds,

Garcon had 40, 500 and 0, Jackson 50, 668 and 3

So Doctson probably performed a little better than Garcon and not much worse than Jackson

A lot of folks in the media keep saying we lost our best receivers in Garcon and Jackson.  Both were either injured or not on the field and sporadically successful last year.  Kind of drives me bonkers...

5 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

A lot of folks in the media keep saying we lost our best receivers in Garcon and Jackson.  Both were either injured or not on the field and sporadically successful last year.  Kind of drives me bonkers...

considering the Skins injury bug last year it's like no one told Garcon and Jackson they were no longer on the team

9 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

They did not just fall off a cliff.  Injuries happen, we should know.  Kind of hard to judge Garçons performance given the QBs he was playing with.  Jackson isnt the only receiver to have a down year in the Bucs offense.

I wasn’t all for paying either of those guys a ton of money.  But if you plan on letting them both go at the same time you’ve got to have a better plan than we had.

21 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

They did not just fall off a cliff.  Injuries happen, we should know.  Kind of hard to judge Garçons performance given the QBs he was playing with.  Jackson isnt the only receiver to have a down year in the Bucs offense.

I wasn’t all for paying either of those guys a ton of money.  But if you plan on letting them both go at the same time you’ve got to have a better plan than we had.

The Redskins made a plan prior to 2017, but "injuries happen".  They spent a first rounder on Doctson to get one of their replacements but his rookie yar was basically lost.

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I had no problem with letting Jackson and Garcon go. Both were bad investments going forward at their price tags.

But when a team (a team whose strength is the passing game, btw) has their top 2 WRs hitting FA in the same year, one would think said team might plan ahead. Trade one of the guys a year early, actually get something in return. That would have eliminated the radical shock to the team's system that happened this year. 

It's just another example of how this team never seems to plan ahead. It's always about winning enough to sell tickets and save people's jobs in the short term.

39 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I had no problem with letting Jackson and Garcon go. Both were bad investments going forward at their price tags.

But when a team (a team whose strength is the passing game, btw) has their top 2 WRs hitting FA in the same year, one would think said team might plan ahead. Trade one of the guys a year early, actually get something in return. That would have eliminated the radical shock to the team's system that happened this year.

It's just another example of how this team never seems to plan ahead. It's always about winning enough to sell tickets and save people's jobs in the short term.

Drafting  Doctson was nothing but planning ahead, there was no excuse for it otherwise

11 hours ago, dyst said:

Please no to Phil Taylor. We need guys that...

1. Stay healthy

2. Start

3. Are actually good

Read a post them saw several more about him next season or being on the roster. I just don't think his body can handle it. Time for him to move on. He might fit in a rotational social reserve role on a team that could afford that luxury. It's just not the Skinz.

6 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

I'm on the record last year toward the end as saying Dion Lewis is a poor man's Leveon Bell. He is an excellent RB, just not sure a good match with CT. He doesn't have durability of Bell to handle ball that much would be my guess

*F/A RB DION LEWIS!!!

8 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Agreed. We don't pay them 10mil plus per year, they don't perform, we don't get picks. Seems fair enough. 

This is not the rule of compensatory picks. 

The formula is players lost vs players added in free agency. Contracts play a part in this

We had a hole at Defensive line needing a NT and choose to sign and overpay two average players who didn’t work out and sign Terrell Pryor and Brian Quick as well. We lost two and signed 6 guys not just D.J. and Brown.

Had they not signed those four guys they would have been at 2 vs 2, with Jackson’s and Garçons contracts vs D.J. and Browns. We would have two extra picks this year if that had gone down like that because of the contracts. Performance doesn’t play a part in the formula that’s what fans think but not in the rule.

Anyway I thought last season the teams management of the Nt position was questionable. They expected two guys who were part time players on there previous teams to be available for a rotation with Ziggy Hood to stop the rush. They gave one a five year contract with an out after year two and the other 4.6 million instead of signing a good player at the position. With a DVOA ranking of 28/32 it didn’t work out.

If Bruce is going to cost the team draft picks it had to work out. It clearly hasn’t and they missed on 4 guys that cost them draft picks. That’s why I said it was a decision like this that makes me think this is a fireable offense.

Teams can trade compensatory picks, if he doesn’t think that average players can get it done at receiver who knows what the conclusion would have been with Kirk. If it ended the same we could have thanked Garcon and Jackson for that third round pick back when we got Alex. These decisions good teams get right, clearly Bruce blew it. I’m open about not being a Bruce guy and this is one of the reasons why

About the ongoing conversation about the two receivers I’m surprised that many of you don’t consider the offenses or the team issues as the reason for the lack of production there vs here.

Tampas got a good offense. They have no offensive line. Using Desean in an offense that only gives very few seconds before a defender is disrupting the play is very tough. 

The 49ers didn’t have a QB for half the season. Now he has Jimmy his production should go up. And if he had stayed how he would have done with Kirk only one could think would have produced better results here vs the garbage he was playing with there. Not a fair comparison

16 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Mike Garafolo talks here about how the Redskins and Breeland are far apart on what he's worth.  He says he understands the FO thinks Norman fell off some last year.  He speculated that they'd might consider Malcolm Butler.

I can imagine Breeland wanting 10mil+ p/y and we are a good 30/40% under his valuation.

JLC floating around the notion NE should come in for Norman. Think they'd have cap moves to make before that was remotely viable.

20 hours ago, DC9 said:

Just about three weeks out now.  Usually this is when we'll start hearing players "heavily linked" with clubs.

Ironically that all happens during and just after the combine.

Completely above board.

Keep your eyes and ears about you the next week or so, ladies and gents.

Seems to be more stories out there than usual about player trades too. Also looking out for a few interesting salary cap casualties. Could be a lot going on.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Seems to be more stories out there than usual about player trades too. Also looking out for a few interesting salary cap casualties. Could be a lot going on.

I would be fine with that, especially since there are multiple agreed to trades already this early in the year.  That would make this a fun offseason for sure.

5 hours ago, OlufemiBiz said:

*F/A RB DION LEWIS!!!

5 yards average per carry.  Can run inside-outside.  Has the burst that Perine-Kelley don't have.  Can catch, return kicks.  Seems perfect, I get why Cooley has a man crush on the dude.  Only downside is he will be 28 and has an injury history.

Top 10 FA's according to PFF

Replying to @PFF

For everyone without a subscription: 1. Kirk Cousins – QB 2. Trumaine Johnson – CB 3. Le’Veon Bell – RB 4. Malcolm Butler – CB 5. Lamarcus Joyner – S 6. Junior Galette – edge 7. Andrew Norwell – G 8. Dion Lewis – RB 9. Allen Robinson – WR 10. Jarvis Landry – WR

Metric of most elusive RBs.  Lewis ranked #2 after Alex's old RB, K. Hunt.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000915072/article/kareem-hunt-dion-lewis-among-10-most-elusive-running-backs?campaign=tw-nf-sf182490147-sf182490147&sf182490147=1

1. RB Catch Rate Leaders: 1. Dion Lewis: 91.4% 2. Danny Woodhead: 84.6% 3. Kareem Hunt: 84.1% 4. Rex Burkhead: 83.3% 5. Shane Vereen: 83.0% 5. DeMarco Murray: 83.0% 7. Matt Forte: 82.6% 8. Mark Ingram: 81.7% 9. Alvin Kamara: 81.2% 10. Le'Veon Bell: 80.2%

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

5 yards average per carry.  Can run inside-outside.  Has the burst that Perine-Kelley don't have.  Can catch, return kicks.  Seems perfect, I get why Cooley has a man crush on the dude.  Only downside is he will be 28 and has an injury history.

I like Lewis as a player, but listing his good qualities and then just saying "has an injury history" as a footnote is like having a discussion of Hitler centered on infrastructure and national pride and then saying "downside=not fond of Jews".

Chiming in, I'd be cool with any of these FA RBs:

Dion Lewis

McKinnon

Crowell

Jeremy Hill (yes)

ask Kerwynn Williams?

I also think that the RB room is currently overflowing and this likelihood of adding another name is slim but I am still hopeful. 

That said I wanna give my boy Sam Perine a shout out because I do think with a bolstered interior line and a healthy o line, Perine has the skills to be effective.  Maybe not bell cow? but I wouldnt rule it out.  He was described as "the best 4 minute back in the country" coming out of CFB.  He's not super fast but has a great combination of abilities. I am looking for Perine to contribute and take the next step... he's gotta get better at pass pro but most young RBs have to get better there.

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I like Lewis as a player, but listing his good qualities and then just saying "has an injury history" as a footnote is like having a discussion of Hitler centered on infrastructure and national pride and then saying "downside=not fond of Jews".

I hear you on that.  But if I did not think his injury history was a big deal than I would not have brought it up.

But yeah his ACL tear in the past, general durability I presume in part because of his size and fearless running style is a concern.

But at the right price, i would do it. Having said that, he does not seem like the typical Bruce signing so I am guessing its doubtful.

To me positives outweigh negatives.

2 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

this may literally be the funniest yet truest post I have ever read online 

Also interesting Gallette is down as the #7 FA. He may get paid. But i wonder if he cuts us a deal since we’ve given him numerous chances. 

Interesting to see Joyner getting so much pub lately. Not much noise on him as a FA early on but now talk of him getting tagged or getting big FA $$. I’d love to sign him and plug him in at Nickel CB Zane FS but he’s probably gonna he pricy. But for a position of need + a young FA hitting the market, that’s a signing id be all for. 

As for “impact” signings in FA. Clearly a WR is one way to go ... but the other would be a Guard or DL. If you only signed Bennie Logan and Andrew Norwell (in addition to bringing back a few of our own) ... you’re instantly better because your trenches are solidified heading into the draft. 

Archived