Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

5 hours ago, Kurd Cudins said:

People seriously want Baker AFTER he failed in TB? This is why our franchise is broken. When the only people holding the king accountable are the loyal subjects of Stupidia, the realm will always be weak.

sometimes people do better going back to their old team, consider Jeremiah Trotter who left the Eagles as a free agent twice and returned to the team twice

I was one of the guys last year at this time praying that Baker was gone. That tantrum he threw with Joe Barry did it for me. Cannot stand guys that yell at coaches at all. I thought he was lazy and all mouth. Well here we are again a year later and finds himself cut for being lazy. No thanks. There is enough on the FA market and plenty more in the draft that are motivated.

I think Baker would be a nice fit as a rotational, 1 gap shooting, 3-4 DE playing next to a mammoth run stopper on a very competitive team... but that’s not us.  

He doesn’t seem to have the work ethic to do the unsung work (occupying linemen, etc.), to avoid taking plays off, or to self motivate when things aren’t going well.  He’s also too vocal when things aren’t going well.  Definite pass for me.  

12 hours ago, #BgMase76# said:

Preston has yet to show any consistency. He disappears somewhere between weeks 3-15. I just don't see anything special from him coming off the edges.  He doesn't set hard edges against the run and still doesn't have one pass rush move that he's perfected. I guess he's better in coverage than Murphy. But that's only an assumption based purely on age

Don't get me wrong, I am all aboard bringing Murphy and/or Galette back.  But the consensus that Preston disappears or that people don't see anything special of him is just wrong.

I presume because his sack numbers are down to mediocre, it seems people are down on him.  Numerous reports/reviews suggest otherwise.

Here are just a couple:

From bleacher report via NFL1000 Scout:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2751169-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-3-4-outside-linebackers-from-2017-season

NFL1000: Ranking the Top 3-4 Outside Linebackers from 2017 Season

6. Preston Smith, Washington Redskins

Pass Rush: 23/30
Run Defense: 16/20
Coverage: 11/15
Tackling: 19/25
Position Value: 8/10
Overall Grade: 77/100

Preston Smith could be a quality No. 1 for many teams around the league, but he gets the luxury of being the No. 2 threat in Washington. Smith has freakishly long arms and a lean frame, allowing him to jab offensive tackles from afar without exposing himself to being easily blocked. When paired with an explosive first step, Smith's ability to bend around the edge is devastating. Sprinkle in a nice inside-counter move as a changeup, and Smith is a dangerous and complete pass-rusher.

—NFL1000 OLB Scout, Derrik Klassen

Aside from his pass-rush moves, Smith also helps his defense with his ability to move into coverage on zone drops and blitzes. This makes him a tremendously versatile player whose stats don't tell the story of his overall impact. 

—NFL1000 Lead Scout Doug Farrar     

And from NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000915923/article/eagles-redskins-seahawks-head-nfls-best-passrushing-units

Eagles, Redskins, Seahawks head NFL's best pass-rushing units

RANK

2. REDSKINS

Total pressures: 269.

Top pass rusher: Ryan Kerrigan (51 pressures).

Washington was one of 12 teams to clear 40 sacks on the season. The Redskins' underrated front seven offers a bevy of players who can get after the quarterback on a consistent basis, with Kerrigan leading the way. Third-year pass rusher Preston Smith is one of the more underrated young defenders in the league. He led all players with 200 or more pass-rush attempts in pressure rate, recording a pressure on 15.9 percent of his rushes. His sack totals (eight in 2017) simply don't do his play justice. Washington had three players finish inside the top 12 in pressure rate in 2017, with impending free agent Junior Galette joining Kerrigan and Smith. The team also has another young potential star on its hands in 2017 first-round pick Jonathan Allen. The rookie went down early with a Lisfranc injury, but he looked like the next great interior disruptor, with 16 pressures in just five games.

Preston is underrated.  Some of our fans just don't see it either because they all want 15+ sacks.

1 hour ago, Audible_Red40 said:

Preston is underrated.  Some of our fans just don't see it either because they all want 15+ sacks.

Check this out from a couple weeks ago. This is why I think we are very good at EDGE and need to bring back Galette ...

But Preston Smith was #1 ... Galette was #3 ... Kerrigan was #10 ... and guess who would have been #1 with a qualified # of snaps ... Jonathan Allen ...

17 hours ago, carex said:

Baker has apparently said he wants to come back to the Skins

He's going to learn a hard lesson about burning bridges.

I live in Tampa and nothing good has ever been said about his play or attitude since he's been at the Bucs.

Our FO let 3 players go that many wanted to stay, all 3 laid an egg in 2017.

2 hours ago, Audible_Red40 said:

I totally agree. I'm watching some of these rangey tweener types coming out and thinking, 'we already have this in P Smith.'  We also need to remember that they had a whole new scheme to dig in on, and Smith really seemed to get it towards the end of the season which is a good sign. I think competition at the position is healthy, so to have Galette producing and to have Ryan Anderson waiting in the wings has to create a good competitive culture with the depth.  We can pretty much bank on Ryan Anderson (and Moreau) stepping in and contributing year two.

For the record, I am not one of the folks that think our D is in shambles.  I think our run D could use improving, but there are a lot of factors to that statistic.  Especially figuring the YPC while we were in nickel D, mostly without J Allen who is perfect, perfect, superstar for that role.  so to me, DT isn't that huge a deal.... I was interested to see how Phil Taylor was gonna do but he never really made it out of camp.  I think there are guys you know, and Tomsula, this staff is actively looking into all the options and they will find the right fit, but I like the culture, the flash games against the Raiders and others where the D stepped up big.  If it all starts in the trenches then Tomsula is a gamechanger.  Lets play to that, recognize it, and find that right piece be it Swaggy or another FA or draft a guy.  It doesn't have to be Vea in the 1st or bust folks; but it could be Vea/Payne?  Hopefully they have great character.  Know who else had great character they say? just guess.  Peep my profile pic.

23 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

He's going to learn a hard lesson about burning bridges.

I live in Tampa and nothing good has ever been said about his play or attitude since he's been at the Bucs.

Our FO let 3 players go that many wanted to stay, all 3 laid an egg in 2017.

I'm not sure how Baker burnt any bridges.  He even gave an HTTR to the local crew during the pregame for our preseason matchup.  That alone will probably buy brownie points with many of the fans here, lol.

I did watch Hard Knocks and there were many jokes made about his work ethic during training camp.  I know there was a blow-up near the end of the season about him jumping off sides at a critical point in a game.  Some similar stuff to the complaints made during his time in DC, but he at least showed flashes here.  Based on stats, it would appear he was mostly invisible in Tampa. 

I don't think the issue with Baker, Garcon or Jackson was that life couldn't go on without them.  It's about who they were replaced with.  They lost Baker and got the Mc's.  So okay - they were right about Baker, but still wrong on the McReplacements, which together weren't cheap and more expensive than Baker.

Losing Garcon and Jackson at the same time was also a mistake.  It takes foresight to figure something out in advance of letting that happen.  They were replaced by Pryor which many also thought was a great pickup, and that turned out to be miserably wrong.  I'm not really sure either of those players can be held fully responsible for laying an egg either.  Garcon was playing with nobody at QB and was already on IR before Jimmy showed up.  Jackson - I'm not really sure, but Winston looked to be a real pile of crap in the times I watched him play.

So yeah, it's kind of hard to pat the FO on the back for getting rid of guys but then failing to replace them with anything as good or better.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'm not sure how Baker burnt any bridges.  He even gave an HTTR to the local crew during the pregame for our preseason matchup.  That alone will probably buy brownie points with many of the fans here, lol.

Listen to what Doc Walker said on his show yesterday, he explains in detail.

Actually, I think it was in hour 1 of the Czaban show, he's filling in for Czaban.

The possible burnt bridges were based on how he handled himself as a professional while he was here.

Opinion From Walterfootball:

http://walterfootball.com/nflpossibilities.php

Buccaneers RB Doug Martin released
This shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone. Doug Martin had two incredible, 1,400-rushing seasons as a former first-round pick, but his other four NFL years have been duds. Martin has battled through injuries and lethargy, and Tampa's party scene derailed his career. That said, he makes sense as a 1-year "prove it" player, as he could provide a very short-term solution to a team's running-game woes.

Washington Redskins: Robert Kelley and Samaje Perine are both pretty lackluster. Martin would form a nice one-two punch with Chris Thompson if he can bounce back.

His opinion on it, being 1 of 6 teams that could use Doug Martin.

I just don't see it.  Each to their own, but my opinion is just stay away.  Even at a 1 year "prove it" deal.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'm not that worried about it to go hunt down the archives, but I'm more than willing to read it if you'll relay it.

Doc said he was one of his favorites, still thinks he's a very talented player.

But somehow through the process of success, he forgot he came in on the practice squad and outworked people to get that contract with the Bucs.

He doesn't have pro bowl work ethic, he acted as if he hit the finish line instead of working harder.

Doc said he was embarrassed for him.

He said if Tomsula had coached him he would have been a pro bowler, said its all on Chris, the team (Redskins) let him get away with missing practices and goofing off and Chris didn't change, he went on to say Chris talks too much.

So basically Chris needs to grow up and be a professional and that's what he feels cost him a contract here and it's why Tampa cut him.

15 hours ago, NickyJ said:

I saw as much impact from McGee and McClain as I did from Baker. I'm sure he's an okay depth player, but unless he's willing to come with a discount, I'm absolutely fine with him staying gone.

The sad truth is that an ineffective Baker is now a FA who will most likely sign a cheap, prove-it deal, while we have both of the worthless Macs tying up over $10M/yr for three more years... We need to stop paying good money to bad players. We continually overpay average-at-best players in FA because it's the only way to lure depth players here.

My FA idea is to only sign prove-it deals, our draft picks, and absolute studs. Let's designate 75% of our cap to overpaying 10 studs.

16 minutes ago, CTskin said:

The sad truth is that an ineffective Baker is now a FA who will most likely sign a cheap, prove-it deal, while we have both of the worthless Macs tying up over $10M/yr for three more years... We need to stop paying good money to bad players. We continually overpay average-at-best players in FA because it's the only way to lure depth players here.

My FA idea is to only sign prove-it deals, our draft picks, and absolute studs. Let's designate 75% of our cap to overpaying 10 studs.

We could get rid of both of them and it wouldn't be a huge setback cap wise, they are counting about $9M towards this year's cap but if we cut them we save $7M and only carry a penalty of $2.5M so we still net about $4.5M in usable cap space if we need it.

Not great signings but we can get out of those deals without it sinking the franchise.

It's not overrating Baker to say he was better as a Redskin than McGee and McClain were last year.  Every one of his last 4 years in DC was more productive than what McGee and McClain did. 

And I'm not even advocating for Baker to come back, but I'm not gonna crap on him like he wasnt better than the two stooges we went 2 for 1 on to replace him.  

2 hours ago, Audible_Red40 said:

Opinion From Walterfootball:

His opinion on it, being 1 of 6 teams that could use Doug Martin.

I just don't see it.  Each to their own, but my opinion is just stay away.  Even at a 1 year "prove it" deal.

I'm all for throwing as many live bodies at the RB competition as we can manage.  

3 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Check this out from a couple weeks ago. This is why I think we are very good at EDGE and need to bring back Galette ...

But Preston Smith was #1 ... Galette was #3 ... Kerrigan was #10 ... and guess who would have been #1 with a qualified # of snaps ... Jonathan Allen ...

I dont recall anybody thinking during the season though when the games were being played that Preston Smith and Juniour Galette were two of the most effective pass rushers in the league.  That's why these numbers are surprising people.

3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I dont recall anybody thinking during the season though when the games were being played that Preston Smith and Juniour Galette were two of the most effective pass rushers in the league.  That's why these numbers are surprising people.

Yes, but do you remember how good our defense looked, especially in the first half, against teams early in the season? We were getting to the QB, disrupting the passer ... Oakland game sticks out in my mind. Then injuries hit, and our lack of depth was exposed, particularly on the DL. I think by bringing those guys back and adding 1-2 pieces to bolster depth and speed, and stay healthy, we could be a really good defense. We flashed a lot last year, particularly early in the season and early in games (before getting worn down).

Baker.... Baker??!?!? We talking about Baker!?

I’ll  be surprised if he’s in NFL next year. Lazy and talks to much for my liking. Frankly, for the handful of plays he’s useful on he’s just not worth the poor ethic he brings everywhere he goes

That chart on pressure rates is amazing.  To think that 3 skins defenders would be in there is really a testament, not only to good players, but the coaching is outstanding.  I say we keep McGee, cut McClain, sign some kind of FA DT and add a guy in the draft as well to keep this machine running.  and probably do what we can to resign Galette too.  The team stuck by him, he had great production, I expect him back.  I expect him and Z Brown back.

though it is interesting if Ryan Anderson is ready to come in and rotate, thats a great young talent.  Dude was friggin dominant and mean at Bama, once he gets comfy, look out. that said, i now wonder if they will bring back Galette...

Given Baker's tendency to take plays off and given that he has a hit a low in his career and may be hungry to prove himself again, I think signing him for a 1 year deal as a depth piece would be a great move. If he is a guy that wears down over the course of a game, sticking him in for 10-15 plays a game negates that issue

Archived