Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Safety is the one position that I don't know the solution to. You need bodies there regardless as going into the off-season you only have Apke, Nicholson and Everett. I figure we'll likely spend the usual 4th or 5th round pick (if we acquire a 4th that is) on a safety. But we should try to re-sign HaHa for some continuity.

Why I'm so bullish on a FA safety is it can be fixed this offseason if Bruce isnt cheap. A lot of talent seems to be there for the taking and we should really throw our money there. Draft does not look to be so hot there. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/safety/

2 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Not in my mind... Would all get used and also provides insurance.

Only other I would add would be Ali Marpet who can play and excel at either G spot and also C.

I think Guard has to be addressed in the draft. With limited cap space, I don't think we have the luxury to put any more FA $$ into the OL. We need another rookie contract along with ROullier, and it's a very deep interior draft.

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I think Guard has to be addressed in the draft. With limited cap space, I don't think we have the luxury to put any more FA $$ into the OL. We need another rookie contract along with ROullier, and it's a very deep interior draft.

Depends on where.... much heavier draft for Edge and DL, and we need 1 or 2 edge guys. I think OL can be addressed in 3rd or later in this draft. We need speed on the edge which we haven't had in forever, unless you count Galette. 

Knowing this FO, they are counting on Kouandijo to come back healthy for a G spot and of course Scherff with Cooper and Bergstrom as backups.

6 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Knowing this FO, they are counting on Kouandijo to come back healthy for a G spot and of course Scherff with Cooper and Bergstrom as backups.

Yes, but that was also the mindset going into 2018 and that backfired spectacularly. It might not be a 1st or 2nd round pick, but I won't be shocked if we get someone in the 3rd.

Also, I don't see Reed being cut. Jay's comments that he's going to IR so he has an entire off-season to focus on things besides rehab makes me think he's back if Jay is back. I guess we could re-structure Vernon Davis, but I really do think his $5m cap hit and drop in play primes him to be cut or retire. Sprinkle is okay, but we need to get another young guy in camp. Mid-round pick, but given Reeds uncertain future, I wouldn't be shocked if we went there earlier.

As for FA, I think the chance we bring back Smith and Crowder are quite low. But if we can go into FA and bring in a mid-tier FA to replace ILB Brown (and CYA in case Foster doesn't play), and we can bring in one of the FA safeties (or re-sign HaHa), we go into the draft basically needing an EDGE, WR and a LG above all else. Probably give your CBs another year to see what they can deliver and bring Norman back as the veteran presence. He also brings fire. Just can't see us cutting him to save $8m in cap space we are unlikely to spend anyway.

Cut: TE V. Davis ($5m), ILB Z. Brown ($3m)

Re-Sign: G J. Cooper ($2m), QB J. Johnson ($1m), RB A. Peterson ($2m), G. T Bergstrom ($1m)

FA: Sign a mid-tier ILB (Stephone Robertson type) for $3-4m APY ... top-tier Safety (Mathieu, HaHa)

Turn to the draft:

1st: EDGE

2nd: WR

3rd: LG

3rd: TE

5th: ILB

5th: S

IMO, this draft screams trade-back. I would love to get from the mid-1st down to the 20s or back-end of the 1st and add another 2nd or a 3rd and 4th. Just load up on speed on offense and defense. And adding picks I think gives you the luxury of taking a look at a QB like Rypien or Finley in the 3rd range. Not that anyone is going to get super excited over them, but after seeing what Nic Mullens types bring as QB3 to their team i think we found that was desperately lacking (developmental QB) on this team.

I know this is for the draft thread but I just ran a mock on Fanpeak that seemed fun and it's in context with this current discussin. I took the "what would excite the fanbase" angle lol.

1st: Kyler Murray, QB Oklahoma

2nd: Irv Smith, TE Alabama

*Traded from MId-3rd to get 2 supplemental 3rds:

3rd: Oshane Ximines, EDGE ODU

3rd: Ross Pierschbacher, G Alabama

3rd: Parris Campbell, WR Ohio State

5th: Trevon Diggs, CB Alabama

5th: Terrell Lewis, EDGE Alabama

BAMA BOYS

Let Murray sit behind Smith/Colt for at least half the season if not a year (and let Smith do what he did for Mahomes). Smith and Campbell give you playmakers. Pierce is a Guard or Center so fixes the interior. Then you round it out with 2 more Bama boys. I don't think Lewis is gonna come out, but a guy can dream. IDK anything about Ximines but he was the BPA at that pick and fit a desperate need, assuming we let smith walk

I just want to say that I really enjoy reading the different takes that you guys are posting.  I don't have the football knowledge, patience, or even desire to do assessments like you guys, but I appreciate that you do.

Regardless of which choices the team actually makes, it is/has been fun taking a peek into the possibilities that the fans see.

Thanks!

we're not going to have a high quality QB to start the season next year, but if it took the 6-3 start to save Allen's job then they have to try to win next year too. 

Safety has been disassembled this year by the team and the players,  And guys who don't get on the field can't help the team much, so some of them need to go.

Add Stacy McGee, Desahzor Everett and Nick Sundberg to the cut list and you get up to around 50 million with rollover.  Try to rework some contracts maybe.  Also June 1 Paul Richardson.  Unfortunately for some reason Over the Cap isn't recognizing June 1 cuts but I think it gets us to around 54.  Also, most of the guys we cut, we should see if we can get a peanut butter sandwich for in trades, and include Perine in that list, with Peterson, Guice, Thompson, Marshall and Kelley ahead of him

TJ Clemmings is a Raider so someting is out of date if he's on the re-sign list

I think the Skins should convert to a 4-3 which would take some of the need for an EDGE rusher.  On D worry about safety and slot/nickel CB.  Offense LG, WR. TE.

@JamesMadisonSkins I like the way you think.  Here’s the thing: I don’t think there is any chance we’re competive next year so I would probably go further. 

I’d find a way to trade Trent Williams, Reed and CT. I’d probably try and trade Moses also.  We have to get rid of the the guys who are always hurt. 

The offense needs an entire overhaul from top to bottom minus Scherff and Guice.  I agree about re-signin AP. Rouiller is probably fine too.  

If youre going to suck anyway, might as well REALLY suck and start rhe rebuild process in earnest.

On Defense, mason foster HAS to go.  He’s the new safety guy Gibbs loves who was so physically limited he couldn’t actually play.  Foster is the same guy playing MLB.  Otherwise front 7 is ok.

Secondary is a mess.

@Voice_of_Reason I guess i'm just looking at it from the perspective of what I expect to happen, not necessarily what should happen. If we got rid of Bruce and Jay and started from scratch I would be inclined to agree. But this is their team that they've built, and until someone comes in and wants to change things up, your scenario is unlikely.

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@JamesMadisonSkins I like the way you think.  Here’s the thing: I don’t think there is any chance we’re competive next year so I would probably go further. 

I’d find a way to trade Trent Williams, Reed and CT. I’d probably try and trade Moses also.  We have to get rid of the the guys who are always hurt. 

The offense needs an entire overhaul from top to bottom minus Scherff and Guice.  I agree about re-signin AP. Rouiller is probably fine too.  

If youre going to suck anyway, might as well REALLY suck and start rhe rebuild process in earnest.

On Defense, mason foster HAS to go.  He’s the new safety guy Gibbs loves who was so physically limited he couldn’t actually play.  Foster is the same guy playing MLB.  Otherwise front 7 is ok.

Secondary is a mess.

Gruden and Allen are not going to choose to suck after this year.  And guys who get hurt and play with the injuries are less of a concern than guys who just get hurt and can't play

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Secondary is a mess.

I dont necessarily disagree about trading or getting rid of the oft injured players, I might even add some to that list Doctson and Crowder although he inst injured much I would say Norman needs to go as well.  But I think the East will be relatively weak again next year so there is no reason to think we cant compete, especially with the way our division is set up with really no elite passers and Run heavy teams and our blooming D-line.  If we can get a season where we stay somewhat healthy we should have a chance again... Heck we just missed on the play-offs this year. I think there is a lot of over-reaction going on right now because of how it all went down but people were all pissed when we were winning.  Honestly you have to wonder what the heck these fans want.  THERE IS NO PERFECT SITUATION.  Players, owner, GM, staduim, NFL, REFS, Roger Godell its all a pile of poo. Ill take winning.  Dont care is Snyder is a jack ass... Dont care if Bruce is a jack ass... just win.... again, we were doing that early on.    

I'd keep Davis over Reed. Simply because he's likely to be on the field more, slightly more reasonable contract too. Reed has to go, 6mil plus back into the cap fund. 

Re-sign AP and the backs looks good....in theory.

Need a major upgrade at WR. it seems like DJax is playing his way out of Tampa. Not sure he quite fits the mild right now, but Gruden is a known lover of him...I'd let Crowder walk, but he does seem to influence a lot when healthy.

Personally I would retain Trent. Also Moses, he has no trade value and his contract means he may as well be here in 2019. I'd extend Scherff and at some stage, maybe 2020, he needs to man up and move to tackle. We need two other interior linemen as a priority.

@UK SKINS FAN '74

Not sure i agree with shifting Scheff to OT. He’s a stud RG and that’s super valuable. We just need to draft a LG. Too much $$ is invested in Scheff Trent and Moses. A good young LG really solidifies the OL and our running game. 

Moses has a down year but prior to the year and playing hurt (which to his credit he plays through) he was seen as a premier RT. 

Crowder is good. I’d love him back and then draft a guy who can get YAC and go deep to pair with Richardson and groom to eventually take over from Doctson. But I think Crowder will command $6-8 million per year, which is probably too rich for us. Quinn could replace him in the slot as could Harris but you need options. A 3rd or 4th round speedster would accomplish that. 

Letting Smith walk really means Edge goes up there with ILB, WR and LG as priorities ... and I don’t think we have the cap to address many of those with impact players. Safety market has been dramatically reduced, so that may be an area you can upgrade and address in FA without breaking the bank. 

Regardless of how Moses Trent and Roullier played this year, we had 3rd and 4th options at LG and RG most of the back half of the season. Scherff mitigates that when back but we need a good young LG 

11 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@UK SKINS FAN '74

Not sure i agree with shifting Scheff to OT. He’s a stud RG and that’s super valuable. We just need to draft a LG. Too much $$ is invested in Scheff Trent and Moses. A good young LG really solidifies the OL and our running game. 

Moses has a down year but prior to the year and playing hurt (which to his credit he plays through) he was seen as a premier RT. 

Crowder is good. I’d love him back and then draft a guy who can get YAC and go deep to pair with Richardson and groom to eventually take over from Doctson. But I think Crowder will command $6-8 million per year, which is probably too rich for us. Quinn could replace him in the slot as could Harris but you need options. A 3rd or 4th round speedster would accomplish that. 

Letting Smith walk really means Edge goes up there with ILB, WR and LG as priorities ... and I don’t think we have the cap to address many of those with impact players.

Quinn, Harris, Darvin Kidsy, and Carlos Henderson a 3rd rounder in 2017 all play slot.  That's plenty of options.  While Kerrigan may need a backup the Redskins could choose to deal with the loss of Smith a guy who;s main talent is pass rush by going back to the classic 3-4 model where one guy is the rusher and the other deals with all the other stuff, most of the time

Do anything and everything to bring back Jays guy— Desean Jackson. Next year will be his age 32 season. I’m okay with a 3 year deal, that provides a minimal damage out year after two years. Team needs his talent, speed, and confidence back in the worst way. 

Mixed on Crowder, as I now think he can be had on a 1 year prove it deal. I’ve never been a huge supporter of his, even during his good years, but value may exist in retaining him after a lackluster year all around. 1 yr 4mil with some elevators sounds about right. 

Wonder if anything can be done to restructure Reeds deal. Still like his talent, but it’s  hard to argue against his cost versus production. I still lean towards keeping him, even with the significant cap hit next year. It appears speed/threats on the outside is needed to help. 

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Secondary is a mess.

The only way a scenario like yours happens is if Allen is gone,  Problem with rebuilding is that we HAVE been rebuilding in earnest since Norv Gruden 1.0 was fired.

3 hours ago, carex said:

Gruden and Allen are not going to choose to suck after this year.  And guys who get hurt and play with the injuries are less of a concern than guys who just get hurt and can't play

They can choose or not choose, they are going to suck next year anyway.

Trent missed 3-4 games this year.  Reed misses games every year.  Moses misses games or is severly hampered in every game.  Crowder misses games every year.  CT misses games every year.

Happens once, it's an abnormality.  Happens every year it's a trend.  The reason we have injury problems is because we continue to sign guys with injury problems. 

Gotta get rid of all of them and try something different.  Because they're useless if they're hurt and inactive or on IR

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

Keep reed and Sprinkle, dump Davis. Not much in FA for WR but three guys I’d be interested in are Adam Humphreys from TB, Funchess from Car and Conley from KC. Not much age or wear and tear.

I'd advocate trying to move Reed on, but yeh either he or Davis has to go. Can't carry both those contracts. I also agree on Funchess, he'd be my main WR target in FA. Problem is that'll potentially be another 8-10mil p/y contract on a #2 type receiver alongside Richardson.

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I'd advocate trying to move Reed on, but yeh either he or Davis has to go. Can't carry both those contracts. I also agree on Funchess, he'd be my main WR target in FA. Problem is that'll potentially be another 8-10mil p/y contract on a #2 type receiver alongside Richardson.

I'm not sure he gets that much considering he's never topped 63 catches or 8 TD and regressed severely this year with the elevated play from moore and Samuel. Anyways my main target in FA is still Anthony Barr. He's a bank breaker but a legit leader on that defense.

27 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I'm not sure he gets that much considering he's never topped 63 catches or 8 TD and regressed severely this year with the elevated play from moore and Samuel. Anyways my main target in FA is still Anthony Barr. He's a bank breaker but a legit leader on that defense.

Jets just give Enunwa 4/36, can't imagine Funchess being far off that kind of deal.

Archived