DC9

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, freakofthesouth said:

@Skinsinparadise Right on,

 

Don't get me wrong, folks and fans are free to think and feel what they want about the trade, I didn't love it at first and still dont, but I can understand, a little, with the limited information I have, why it went down the way it did. I think the hype train is leaning more toward the negative aspects of bringing in AS, I tend to feel like he *could* be an upgrade for the team, but that remains to be seen, and until we get into the season it'll all just be speculation.

 

 

I understand the logic of all the trades they've made when they've given up draft picks.  And unless I am forgetting one, if this one proves to be a winner it would be the first one that does emerge as a winning trade under either Bruce or Vinny.   Naturally, there is some logic to all of them.  And if I recall most of the trades over the years have been embraced by most of the fan base at the time (me included).  Not so much years later.  I've just become more cynical about the process.    I didn't want to lose Kirk AND also lose draft capital.  To me that stinks -- for me that was worse case for Plan B.  Even though I like Alex Smith.

 

As for the FA WR drill.  I don't mean to rain on that parade as for the guys you like in the draft.   You never know.  I've just noticed a pattern that while the beat guys don't anticipate everything that is going to happen in FA -- far from it.  But they've of late been bulls eye correct about the predominant position that the FO is looking to address and this time by a mile its been speedy-deep threat receiver. 

 

You never know maybe its such a major desire they hit it in both FA and the draft.  But as for FA if they don't go for one of the available possibilities than just about every beat guy has been misled by their sources with the FO.  

 

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s a couple important quotes from Gruden that may shed some light on how the team feels about its depth:

 

gruden on Moreau:

 

Quote

“I think he’s, again, one of these players you love to keep in here and develop and he’s got a special skill set,” Gruden said. “I think next year in the offseason and training camp is going to be a great test for him, but I think he’s got the chance to be a true lockdown corner for us.

 

On Ryan Anderson:

 

Quote

I just talked to him today and I really expect guys from year one to year two to make the significant jump. Get their feet wet year one, understand what it’s all about, what the season’s like, what they need to do with their body in the offseason to get ready for the second year. So, I think it’s been a good experience for him.”

 

http://www.redskins.com/news/article-1/Rookie-Recap-How-The-Washington-Redskins-2017-Draft-Class-Performed/1b8ee1d2-bee0-4281-b01d-7600a7cd10bd

 

also on a side note, do we think we’ll bust out the dreaded franchise tag on another player this year?  Z Brown?  Breeland?  Maybe not Breeland if Jay is saying he thinks Moreau can be a shut down corner.  Dang a rang... Was a borderline 1st round projection before he tore his pectoral.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, freakofthesouth said:

 

also on a side note, do we think we’ll bust out the dreaded franchise tag on another player this year?  Z Brown?  Breeland?  Maybe not Breeland if Jay is saying he thinks Moreau can be a shut down corner.  Dang a rang... Was a borderline 1st round projection before he tore his pectoral.

 

Craig Hoffman was asked on the radio from covering the team who are some guys that fans don't per se think much of or is on their radar screen that the team likes.  He said Doctson.  He said they really like him even though he struggled at times last year.  And if I recall it was either him or maybe Finlay who said they like Moreau a lot.    But thing though is who plays slot?  Holsey?  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

Craig Hoffman was asked on the radio from covering the team who are some guys that fans don't per se think much of or is on their radar screen that the team likes.  He said Doctson.  He said they really like him even though he struggled at times last year.  And if I recall it was either him or maybe Finlay who said they like Moreau a lot.    But thing though is who plays slot?  Holsey?  

 

Man I love reading this because I love me some JDoc, dude is super talented and is just now tapping his potential.

 

and that’s it, maybe with this vote of confidence in Moreau, they might specifically seek out a slot corner, unless yeah it’s holsey??

 

Or

 

Draft

denzel Ward

mike Hughes

Duke Dawson

Darius Phillips 

 

or

 

FAs

Kyle fuller

EJ Gaines

 

Etc

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

Your point was encased in where you quoted me.  So yeah as for Richardson being FT by the Jags -- assume you mean Robinson?

Yes, I messed up.  What I meant to say is Allen all day long but if he is FT then Richardson.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at contracts for receivers and DTs (and 3-4 DEs), it looks like only around the top 10-12 contracts go above 8m/year.  Both (actually all 3 I think) also have a weird gap between 6-8 mil.  So I’ve said I only see us landing one big FA, but seeing that, I think we could fit 2-3 good players with moderate contracts... along with a few low priced guys.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Brian Cushing expected to be released from the Texans. Any way we could sign him? How much would it take? 

 

Seven mil and four cycles of dianobol

  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Brian Cushing expected to be released from the Texans. Any way we could sign him? How much would it take? 

$1 million for every game he plays.

 

So, $300,000.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dumervil had a good season in San Fran last year, and hell James Harrison had some impact in just a few games for the Pats.  As the Skins 3rd or 4th LB I'd be find with him.  Cap cut RBs are a more difficult call.  At WR Smith didn't do much from what I understand, but Sanders is good enough it's questionable if he'll even be a casualt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Signing those dudes wouldn't be bad at all as long as they are more short-term deals.

 

That's really the difference in the approach between the Vinny and early-Snyder days and now is that back in the day we would've given them all long money.

 

Pay productive dudes while you draft your own players.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was listening to Keim on 980, he said the coaches were raving about Isaiah Crowell before they played the Browns in 2016 and he also heard them bring him up in 2017 in a positive way in a conversation.  Keim said he hasn't heard specifically about him being a target this time.  But he suggested considering how effusive the coaching staff here is about him -- wouldn't shock him if he's a target.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:
 
    1. New conversation
       

      Tandler says these are some names #redskins could pursue in FA... I trust my 6yr old to pick better players....

      DWaltAnU0AAKcKQ.jpg

Hope this is a joke and completely wrong. Keep an eye on Vernon's younger brother Vontae.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was listening to Keim on 980, he said the coaches were raving about Isaiah Crowell before they played the Browns in 2016 and he also heard them bring him up in 2017 in a positive way in a conversation.  Keim said he hasn't heard specifically about him being a target this time.  But he suggested considering how effusive the coaching staff here is about him -- wouldn't shock him if he's a target.

Wouldn't be a bad pickup IF we didn't overpay but I'd like to see us draft one of the backs in the upcoming draft.  Preferably Michel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2018 at 9:16 AM, DC9 said:

I would transition tag Brown.  But what I also read from Keim is we are unlikely to draft Ro Smith and re-sign Brown, which upsets me a little.  That would be a vicious tandem in the middle of the field.  But I'm a LB nerd, so fwiw...

LB nerd here too. W/ that said......  Resigned Foster already. Wasn't but on Foster until he was next to Brown. Together they were impressive. Brown running down anything on the edges and Foster getting dirty between the tackles. My only knock on Brown is his lack of coverage skills especially w/ that speed. Watched Roquan Smith in the playoffs. WHOA. Money spent on Foster do you pay Brown or make a play for Smith? Have you seen any game footage for the kid from Boise State? Ranked #3 MLB behind Johnson and Smith. Vigil played w/ a lot of heart but I don't think he was as solid as Compton. Do we bring Compton back for depth? What's your take on Preston Smith? Does he flash enough to pick up the 5th year option? Do you start him over Murphy? Who starts opposite of Norman? Can't see us spending in the neighborhood of $16 mil a season on Breeland. I honestly don't see that much difference in him and Dunbar. Over all he's better but Dunbar is cheaper and locked up. I expect Moreau to challenge Dunbar or lock up the nickel. Something along the trajectory of Fuller. Any chance Cravens sticks around? I think the secondary is solid is Nicholson can stay on the field. If we don't get Brown I think we go hard after Bennie Logan. If that happens do we still go after Payne or the best available LB in the draft?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2018 at 2:25 AM, RWJ said:

Don't lose hope.  FA hasn't started yet, HigSkin.  I'm hoping we sign him too.  Second choice would be Allen Robinson from the Jags, if he's knee checks out and he's not tagged.

Not considering him. He's a slot receiver. We need someone to pair w/ Doctson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like the team to pursue Patrick Robinson. He might be a bit pricy after his tremendous season with the Eagles but considering he will "only" play as a slot corner, he will not get crazy cash.

After trading away Fuller our strength in the secondary has become a potential weakness and I would not feel comfortable going into the season with two first time starters at three cornerback positions (if we don't resign Breeland).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, #BgMase76# said:

LB nerd here too. W/ that said......  Resigned Foster already. Wasn't but on Foster until he was next to Brown. Together they were impressive. Brown running down anything on the edges and Foster getting dirty between the tackles. My only knock on Brown is his lack of coverage skills especially w/ that speed. Watched Roquan Smith in the playoffs. WHOA. Money spent on Foster do you pay Brown or make a play for Smith? Have you seen any game footage for the kid from Boise State? Ranked #3 MLB behind Johnson and Smith. Vigil played w/ a lot of heart but I don't think he was as solid as Compton. Do we bring Compton back for depth? What's your take on Preston Smith? Does he flash enough to pick up the 5th year option? Do you start him over Murphy? Who starts opposite of Norman? Can't see us spending in the neighborhood of $16 mil a season on Breeland. I honestly don't see that much difference in him and Dunbar. Over all he's better but Dunbar is cheaper and locked up. I expect Moreau to challenge Dunbar or lock up the nickel. Something along the trajectory of Fuller. Any chance Cravens sticks around? I think the secondary is solid is Nicholson can stay on the field. If we don't get Brown I think we go hard after Bennie Logan. If that happens do we still go after Payne or the best available LB in the draft?

 

You can never have too many impact guys in the middle of your defense.  This is why I'd go after Ro Smith and Zach Brown, even after signing Mason Foster.  You can do a lot with 3 LBs these days... and maybe even switch your defense up a bit.

 

Same as if I wouldn't be made if we signed Logan and then drafted Payne.

 

For me, if we sign Logan  and Brown and then Payne and Smith are both there at 13, I'm taking Smith.  That gives us a damn good spine with a lot of multiple looks possible.  And you have help if there is an injury to either or both Brown and Foster (Smith) and likewise with the Greek and Allen (Logan).  Lots of alpha males on that defense with those cats.

Jay said "we need two of the three back" between Foster, Compton, and Brown.  So that tells you where his head is at.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finlay this morning on FA

 

1.  defensive players clamoring for a real nose tackle -- think Hood manning the position is unfair to him because he isn't a natural nose.

2.  Galette likely gone

3.  Murphy hasn't been talked to

4.  Long might be gone

5.  Breeland likely gone

6.  Zach Brown they have some interest in but they likely let him hit the market

 

Then Cooley-Sheehan got into a discussion again about if the FO takes a conservative approach to the FA season they will be disappointed.  Trading for Alex Smith = they feel they can win now  (Craig Hoffman and another beat guy -- forgetting which one- said their talks with people behind the scenes confirms that the FO thinks they are close) and a win now approach begs for a more aggressive approach than the standard Bruce FA season.

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

Bucs just cut Doug Martin with 3 years left on his deal.  Any chance the muscle hamster has anything left in the tank?  My head says no, and my heart also says....no.  Might find a spot on a roster after training camp injuries though.

 

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/2/20/14557106/doug-martin-release-buccaneers-nfl-free-agency-2018

He hasn't either shaken any defenders or his stupid nickname as of late, but he'll latch on somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Generally speaking, I like your thinking @DC9 - strengthen the spine, add excellent depth, add versatility, beef up the run D, and make life easier on the secondary.  

 

The concern I’d have there is the resources spent.  Logan and Brown likely eat up the vast majority of our cap space, and then the 1st rounder is gone too.  To be clear, depending on Brown’s price, re-signing him and picking up a talented DL are my preferred FA moves.  

 

If they transform the D with those moves and went on to pick up a good receiver and TE in the draft, I could definitely get on board with that.  Right now though, I’m leaning toward a trade out of #13 (depending on who falls) to try to add a 2nd or 3rd.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IF we let Brown, Gallette and Murphy all walk I question how the team plans to replace them with limited draft stock. 

 

Seriously, even if you move Ryan Anderson inside, you may be fine at ILB but then you’re completely depth-less at Edge with just Kerrigan and Smith and JAGs begind them. And it almost makes adding a pass rusher imperative in the first 2 picks ... which takes away from being able to address the Guard spot, RB spot, WR .... DL etc. 

 

Gallette and Murphy or even one of them back on a cheaper deal makes sense and doesn’t expose you to being terribly weak or lack depth at that spot. 

 

Of course Anderson staying outside helps the depth. And if they plan to bring in another ILB to replace Brown in FA then that’s fine ... but I still think you should or need to bring back st least 1 If not all 3 of those guys. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We can't let Breeland go. If we do then we are opening up a gashing hole in the defensive passing game. I think he is a must sign unless some team offers him a redic contract. Losing Jr is okay with me not ideal but truth is if it means more Preston then I think that's okay. Want to see them bring back Brown and Murf as well.

 

While Doug Martin is a cut, and I want them to sign cut players, his contract is beyond too much to consider. We need to be using the top pick on a RB. Youth with RBs is huge and there are some good one out there. If his contract was cheap I'd be all for kicking the tires on Martin but it's not so no thanks

 

If they don't reup Bree then the first has to go to a corner. Bree is the key to the draft. If they keep him they can do a few different things. If they let him go they are forced into replacing him.

Edited by bobandweave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Audible_Red40 said:

He hasn't either shaken any defenders or his stupid nickname as of late, but he'll latch on somewhere.

Pass on Martin for me too..  he is one of those players that looks great in preseason and below average during. He had one good year which looks like an anomaly at this point. Bust

2 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

We can't let Breeland go. If we do then we are opening up a gashing hole in the defensive passing game. I think he is a must sign unless some team offers him a redic contract. Losing Jr is okay with me not ideal but truth is if it means more Preston then I think that's okay. Want to see them bring back Brown and Murf as well.

 

While Doug Martin is a cut, and I want them to sign cut players, his contract is beyond too much to consider. We need to be using the top pick on a RB. Youth with RBs is huge and there are some good one out there. If his contract was cheap I'd be all for kicking the tires on Martin but it's not so no thanks

 

If they don't reup Bree then the first has to go to a corner. IF they reup Bree then the first should be going to a stud RB

if he is cut.. he has no contract. will most likely sign for vet min

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.