Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

1 hour ago, Tarpon75 said:

I would take them both back.  Junior did say in the Dukes interview that he had workout coming up with someone soon.

Much less of a chance with Breeland.

I could see them maybe taking back Gallette, but not Bree. There's just no room.

I feel like we've already committed ourselves to, and invested in, youth at the CB position for the future.

And I can't see them parting with any of them for Bree, or adding an additional one.

6 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Much less of a chance with Breeland.

I could see them maybe taking back Gallette, but not Bree. There's just no room.

I feel like we've already committed ourselves to, and invested in, youth at the CB position for the future.

And I can't see them parting with any of them for Bree, or adding an additional one.

I didn’t really think it realistic that the team would bring them both back. I do think that Breeland is probably as good as any CB we have not named Josh Norman however. Seems as though the team never really had any interest in bringing him back this season.

Yeah, agree with all of the above really. Galette would give us a change-up speed rusher we’re lacking (and improve our depth), and Breeland, who can play inside and out, would solidify our corner position.  Not gonna happen of course (well...maybe if we sustain injuries), but it would make me feel better about the team... 

Honestly, it’s hard to believe no one has signed them... they’re talented players at premium positions (and would come pretty darn cheap I’d bet).  

On 9/2/2018 at 9:47 AM, skinny21 said:

So, I guess my question to you is - who were the big difference makers they should have signed?  

Plus, if I might add, we currently have only $11 mil in available cap space. So, the DL and RB were solved with low cost draft picks, right?  That really didn’t  leave us a whole lot of money to sign “difference makers” during the FA, pre-draft period. But I also agree with @Voice of Reason in that our roster is somewhat the same as last season so it’s reasonable to assume there shouldnt be a big change in wins & losses. 

However, not to insult anyone’s intelligence, but football is a team sport where the sum can be greater than the parts. Let’s hope this is the case and we can eclipse 10 wins and move up to a perennial playoff team. 

21 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

Plus, if I might add, we currently have only $11 mil in available cap space. So, the DL and RB were solved with low cost draft picks, right?  That really didn’t  leave us a whole lot of money to sign “difference makers” during the FA, pre-draft period. But I also agree with @Voice of Reason in that our roster is somewhat the same as last season so it’s reasonable to assume there shouldnt be a big change in wins & losses. 

However, not to insult anyone’s intelligence, but football is a team sport where the sum can be greater than the parts. Let’s hope this is the case and we can eclipse 10 wins and move up to a perennial playoff team. 

Absolutely.  On all points. 

Thats what’s tough about arguing with VOR on this - he’s right that we haven’t done a good job finding difference makers in FA, that we haven’t used on money very wisely (while still spending up to the cap), and that this team needs  more than just decent to good players.  

In terms of your “sum of all parts” comment, I’m really hoping that’s what we see with the receiving corp.  I believe we’ll have a decent ground game, the oline and qb are pretty good;  a pretty good group of pass catchers would help this become a pretty potent offense.  Here’s hoping.  

90507142_ScreenShot2018-09-09at8_43_36PM.png.af124b44db63aca04ca1ecad21426d8a.png

You've got 2 of your RBs as your top 2 receivers. Plus you still have your WR1, WR2, & slot WR & your other two TEs. Even with 2 WRS getting MRIs this week, they'll probably bring up Cobb from the PS. And Harris may or may not get cleared this week.

There ain't nowhere on the roster for Dez.

On 9/13/2018 at 4:52 AM, NickyJ said:

Hankins has been signed by the Raiders. Going off of the earlier posts here, I'm expecting him to do twice as well Khalil Mack could have dreamed of, plus taking over the QB job from Derek Carr. Super Bowl or bust written all over this move, yup.

One year 2mil deal, with another 1mil on the table in incentives. That's cheap. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. 

On 9/9/2018 at 8:38 PM, Renegade7 said:

Ya, @TK said ZERO interest, so we're talking it might barely move the meter even if we need the bodies.  I really think its a good idea, wish I knew why they were that against it.

Nobody has told me this, but I'd be willing to bet all the money in my pockets against all the money in your pockets these are the reasons:

1. They like the starting group of Doctson/Richardson/Crowder, who are all healthy

2. Mo Harris will be back at some point who is the clear #4.

3. If they need receiver help, it's going to be at the back-end of the depth chart and those players need to contribute on special teams.

4. The team was built so that the TE's and RBs are a big part of the passing game

5. Dez is a proven hot-head and locker-room distraction.  Even with their current situation, the Cowboys didn't want him back.  That says about as much as you need to know about him. 

29 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

5. Dez is a proven hot-head and locker-room distraction.  Even with their current situation, the Cowboys didn't want him back.  That says about as much as you need to know about him. 

It's the same thing that happened to Owens, once the production dropped, no one hand time for the games anymore.

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

It's the same thing that happened to Owens, once the production dropped, no one hand time for the games anymore.

Not really sure that's a good comparison. Owens was getting consistent work through his age 37 season (and was pretty darn good in his last year). For comparisons, Art Monk's last really good year was at 34 (though he played into his age 38 season). Marvin Harrison retired after his age 36 season (and his last good year was at age 34 as well). Heck, even Steve Largent was done by age 35. But Dez Bryant is only 30

10 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Not really sure that's a good comparison. Owens was getting consistent work through his age 37 season (and was pretty darn good in his last year). For comparisons, Art Monk's last really good year was at 34 (though he played into his age 38 season). Marvin Harrison retired after his age 36 season (and his last good year was at age 34 as well). Heck, even Steve Largent was done by age 35. But Dez Bryant is only 30

The age may be different, but Owens on 3 different teams his last three years.  He wore out his welcome in all three of them, and no one felt it was worth it.  If anything your point helps mine, he was nearly a 1000 yard receiver his last year and still nobody wanted to sign him.  He also had a knee injury that last year in Cincinatti, damaged goods at that point, and still a headache.  The comparison I was make starts and ends with both being a distraction and teams looking at the production and saying not worth it.  It may have took Owens longer to get out the league, but when Jerry Jones says he's had enough, that's a sign you either need to wake up or you're done.

That's just my opinion though.  I think Dez is unsigned primarily because he's a headache and can't catch a slant consistently anymore, regardless of his age.

Breeland and Galette must have family or friends for agents. Breeland has visited multiple teams and left without a contract. Teams are already losing their starting Cb's for the season and he hasn't been signed. It's crazy he is sitting out there as a free agent.. With Galette, I can understand teams hesitating but he is talented enough to not have to be begging for a job online. Both of their agents should be fired..

Personally, I wouldn't bring Galette back on principle. His 'slave wages' was insulting on so many levels. First, to people who get up and work everyday and won't make in a lifetime what he made in a single signing bonus. Secondly, referring to being treated as a slave should be viewed in the same light as Bob McNair's remarks. He should have apologized publicly. Lastly, it insults the team given his inflated notion of self-worth. 

You're fodder Jovias, you get called when a team suffers injuries. I, for one, will never be a fan.

It’s not always purely about the talent guys. Chemistry and cohesion on a team is a tangible difference maker. We’ve heard all offseason that the feeling in the locker room was different in a good way and the team has a quiet, hungry swagger to it. Guys like galette and breeland CLEARLY did not have the personalities and/or attitudes that meshed with what the front office has built. 

Its obvious the team has chosen which vets they felt exhibited this and it’s even evident in the decision to let cousins walk and bring in smith. The young corner group is playing well but most importantly they’re learning from guys like Norman and swearinger that work their asses off every day in practice and in the film room. If injuries mount this team will continue to pull in the jehu chessons and Brian quicks before they’ll consider a dez Bryant because I think they finally understand the value of a single mindset and chemistry on a team. Bringing in a guy like galette, breeland or dez not only threatens that culture but could also really have a negative effect on team chemistry because these guys didn’t go through camp with us. 

I think the team made an exception with AP because we desperately needed it and because they know he is also going to outwork everyone so he fit right in both as a player, a mentor and with that team attitude and chemistry. Guys like Breeland, Galette and Dez simply don’t fit that mold and I would be shocked to see us even talk to them even if we have some injuries. 

1 hour ago, moondog said:

Guys like Breeland, Galette and Dez simply don’t fit that mold and I would be shocked to see us even talk to them even if we have some injuries. 

YES!

I think you make some VERY good points...

To go further, I think we see our younger depth guys as our future as well.  That's why the RB situation is different.  It would appear that we want to invest time in Dunbar and Moreau, and bringing in a starting caliber player with marginal upgrade not only alienates the guys behind him because you don't show the confidence. Add to that, it also stunts their growth and development by taking away playing time and experience.  RB is different because Perine / Kelley are not anticipated to be the long term starter at their position.  Guice is, and he's not available.  At WR, if you bring in Dez, you're telling Doctson / Crowder / Harris that they're not good enough, and youre taking catches out of their hands.  Dez also likely won't play special teams, and he's pretty much only capable of lining up as the 'X' WR... which we have slated as Doc.  If week 8 comes around and Doc CLEARLY doesn't have it... and we're in the mix for a playoff push... Dez may be a lot more of a fit, but bringing him in now can cause problems.  

Archived