• Blog Entries

    • By TK in ES Coverage
         1
      In today's Divisional Debacle, the Defense under Greg Manusky in the first half, gave up 207 yards of offense (105 rushing/102 passing) and two touchdowns.  That said, they did manage a single INT on which the Offense actually managed to score a touchdown off of. They allowed 12 of 16 passes to be completed . 
       
      In the second half it was 107 yards given up (58 rushing//49 passing) a field goal and a touchdown. They traded their first half pick for a second half sack. However, Dallas completed all five of their pass attempts. 
       
      Don't read that thinking "Well it seems like they tightened up some in the 2nd half."  They didn't. They simply had about half the plays in the second half. 30 plays in the First and 18 in the Second.
       
      So far in two Divisional matchups, the Defense has faltered in the Second half. They start out like a house of fire for the first few drives until their opponents gradually make adjustments. This Defensive coaching staff fails make any adjustments, whether in game or at the very least at Halftime. They've given up over 30 points per game for a total of 63 points given up in two games. While the Bears are up next, the Pats await and they've put up over 70 points in two games. Yeah. Ok. They did shut out the Dolphins today which is looking like the NFL version of ... ahem... shooting fish in a barrel. 
       
      The frustrating thing is Manusky is the DC that the Front Office actively looked to replace during the off season without firing him. When you know they're looking to replace you, most people would make a concentrated effort to show an improvement. Yet Manusky's Defense still keeps acting like it's starring in Groundhog Day.
       
      In his post game presser, when asked directly about if any coaching changes would be made, Gruden said "No, I think after two games – you’re talking about playing two very good offensive football teams and two of the best offensive lines in pro football we just played back-to-back. That’s no excuse whatsoever, but I don’t think we need to hit the panic button yet. We just have to continue to focus on what we can do better to win. Get Jonathan [Allen] in here, get a couple of our corners back in here and let’s go back and strap it up against Chicago [Bears] next week and see what happens.” 
       
      Here's another frustrating thing. The defensive communication was an issue last season as well. Wasn't this supposed to have been worked on during OTA's and Training Camp? It's understandable that the rookies would still be on a learning curve, but NFL vets like Collins and DRC you'd think they would have down by the start of the season. 
       
      Gruden said they're a very talented group on Defense but that they weren't reaching them. When questioned as to why the coaching staff that has been in place for several years, wasn't reaching them, he defended the comment as them being a young defense. “We have some moving parts now. Landon Collins is a veteran guy but this is his first year, [Montez] Sweat’s in his first year, [Cole] Holcomb, it’s his first year, [Jon] Bostic is in his first year. We’re playing Dominique [Rodgers-Cromartie] at corner and this is Jimmy Moreland’s first year, so it’s not like we are the most experienced group. We feel like were very talented, but we`re still fighting through somethings. There are a lot of things to look forward to, without a doubt, but we do have to play better and strap it up and get back to work."

       
       
       
DC9

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yep, who was that chiefs RB that we signed prior to that first regular season game? Actually i think we signed whoever it was in year 2 of zorn. I remember he was awful. 

 

Larry Johnson. "Fast" Willie Parker was the other vet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

 

Larry Johnson. "Fast" Willie Parker was the other vet.

Yep. Signed them both in April 2010, so yeah would’ve been for year 1 of Shanahan instead of year 2 of zorn as i originally thought :P one of those two RBs was let go on final roster cutdown day, the other was let go in late September. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yep. Signed them both in April 2010, so yeah would’ve been for year 1 of Shanahan instead of year 2 of zorn as i originally thought :P one of those two RBs was let go on final roster cutdown day, the other was let go in late September. 

Willie was the first one to get cut, Larry was the one to get cut later. I think we picked up Ryan Torain after that.

 

We should never have let Quinton Ganther go for those two. Worst decision ever.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gruden said Simms was out of practice because of injury, but why is Quick out.  He didn't do anything...?  

Edited by TheShredder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

Willie was the first one to get cut, Larry was the one to get cut later. I think we picked up Ryan Torain after that.

 

We should never have let Quinton Ganther go for those two. Worst decision ever.

Ah man, flashback city.  I was "that's a big running back", but that just made it easy for defenses to hit him and injure him because he stood up like he was getting his height measured every play : /

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AP visiting the skins.  ackward!  coming to the team that took out his knees, courtesy of London.  hopefully coming here will bring him back to when he was in his prime.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ultravin said:

AP visiting the skins.  ackward!  coming to the team that took out his knees, courtesy of London.  hopefully coming here will bring him back to when he was in his prime.

I thought that was Dejon Gomes IIRC. I’m sure he’s no longer holding a grudge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Morneblade said:

 

Or maybe move Iloka to SS, he played there in college. At 6'4 and 225, he could handle it.

This makes no sense. Swearinger is a garbage FS. 

18 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

 

Financial reasons

Ian Rapoport

 

A stunner: The #Bengals are releasing starting safety George Iloka, per @MikeGarafolo and me. He’s started every game he’s played in since 2013. Purely a financial decision, but a 28-year-old safety hitting the market at this point is good news for interested teams.

Hell yeah. Get this man in here. The last question mark on our defense answered! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Sounds like the Cowboys are in desperate need of Safety help..... Hopefully they don't get both Iloka and E. Thomas...

Why would anyone sign 2 FS? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Why would anyone sign 2 FS? 

 

Iloka can play SS... he's used at both in Cincinnati and stacks the box well against the run.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TW blocking for AP, who he trains with in the offseason and both went to Oklahoma together.... yes please. Even if he doesn't have 'IT' anymore, it still moves the needle quite a bit for me. 

 

Looks to be in great freaking shape, to say the least. Maybe he has a little "Vernon Davis" left in the tank and will surprise us all. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the reason so many seem wary of signing AP is Deion Sanders and the ghosts of preseasons past. I think I’d be okay with it. It’s been a long time since we signed an over the hill superstar and even though that hasn’t worked well for us in the past I don’t we should be haunted by the year 2000 and the legacy of Vinny. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  20 hours ago, Morneblade said:

 

Or maybe move Iloka to SS, he played there in college. At 6'4 and 225, he could handle it.

 

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

This makes no sense. Swearinger is a garbage FS. 

Hell yeah. Get this man in here. The last question mark on our defense answered! 

 

Did you even read? Guess you missed the part about moving him to SS, like he played in college.

 

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

 

Iloka can play SS... he's used at both in Cincinnati and stacks the box well against the run.

 

 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Why would anyone sign 2 FS? 

 

Reading comprehension. Or just maybe some more coffee. No one wants to move Swearinger to SS. Actually, since Manusky likes to flip safety assignments and have both safeties do both, to disguise coverages, one plays one spot, and the other takes the other spot, and the do what the play tells them, not a pure "box" SS or a free roaming pure FS.

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

TW blocking for AP, who he trains with in the offseason and both went to Oklahoma together.... yes please. Even if he doesn't have 'IT' anymore, it still moves the needle quite a bit for me. 

 

Looks to be in great freaking shape, to say the least. Maybe he has a little "Vernon Davis" left in the tank and will surprise us all. 

 

Vernon Davis was horrible in Denver......................before he came here, and everyone that he was washed up. Just sayin'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don’t see how signing AP could be a bad thing.  We know damn good and well this FO isn’t going to break the bank on him, or atleast I think so.  If he looks washed, oh well.  If he’s 75% of who he used to be, he’s already better than anyone else we have.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Swearinger is a pure SS. He's crap outside of the box. Football comprehension. 

 

Saying the DC likes to have both safeties do everything is such a tired cliche. It's also not remotely true. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think the reason so many seem wary of signing AP is Deion Sanders and the ghosts of preseasons past. I think I’d be okay with it. It’s been a long time since we signed an over the hill superstar and even though that hasn’t worked well for us in the past I don’t we should be haunted by the year 2000 and the legacy of Vinny. 

 

At least it's not 2009 and 2010.  Trade a 2nd and 5th for a washed up Jason Taylor, and then trade a 2nd and 5th for a washed up Donovan McNabb.  The McNabb trade made me so angry when it happened (but then as the months ensued I "bought in").

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think the reason so many seem wary of signing AP is Deion Sanders and the ghosts of preseasons past. I think I’d be okay with it. It’s been a long time since we signed an over the hill superstar and even though that hasn’t worked well for us in the past I don’t we should be haunted by the year 2000 and the legacy of Vinny. 

 

The issue with AP and his child has never sat well with me, which is why I don't want him here.

 

But in regards to the whole bringing in old superstars issue, I think the difference here would be AP isn't being brought in to be AP, but rather to help the team if possible.  In years past those aging superstars were expected to still be superstars and lead the team.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good segment on RB's now with @RyanWilson_07. Speculated that names like Mike Gillislee, Charcandrick West, Jeremy Hill could be cut soon. All better options than AP in my opinion.

0 replies1 retweet0 likes
 

lol I just posted this in the RB thread... great minds! :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

 

The issue with AP and his child has never sat well with me, which is why I don't want him here.

 

But in regards to the whole bringing in old superstars issue, I think the difference here would be AP isn't being brought in to be AP, but rather to help the team if possible.  In years past those aging superstars were expected to still be superstars and lead the team.

Honestly, I'd forgotten about that.. Ugh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good segment on RB's now with @RyanWilson_07. Speculated that names like Mike Gillislee, Charcandrick West, Jeremy Hill could be cut soon. All better options than AP in my opinion.

0 replies1 retweet0 likes
 

 

Maybe because they're used to that compliment role.  

 

FWIW, washed up AP had almost as many 100 yard games (2) last year as all of those guys have in their careers (3).  

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I think the reason so many seem wary of signing AP is Deion Sanders and the ghosts of preseasons past. I think I’d be okay with it. It’s been a long time since we signed an over the hill superstar and even though that hasn’t worked well for us in the past I don’t we should be haunted by the year 2000 and the legacy of Vinny. 

 

I feel like it's completely different scenario with AP.  We're just looking for competence at the position to get through the season.  AP wouldnt get a fat multi-year deal like he's still in his prime with high expectations.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.