Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

A few general observations re FAs:

-a number of DTs are avail and could come in and fill an immediate need.  Lots I think.  This is first priority.

-There are CBs that could work too, though they will be pretty expensive.

-ILB has actually a number of young options.  (I like ZB a lot, many ILB options means a more reasonable contract... just take him off the field on passing downs for nickel LB Sua Cravens.)

-About 4 FA RBs could come in and make a difference. I think 10m per year for Leveon would be worth it, but I don’t have all the numbers really so not sure if we can afford that.

-OG market is pretty weak, aside from Norwell and maybe Mewhort, not a lot happening there.

-WR class is kinda weak and overpriced.  I wouldn’t mind a depth signing but Jarvis or Richardson or Robinson just isn’t the answer I don’t think.  Unproven, injury concerns, and lots of money.

Based mostly on FA supply and sort of considering cap space though not thoroughly, and based on draft depth and projections per nfldraftscout.com, here’s where I’m at with how to build the team:

FA:

sign DT- star Lotulelei is best fit I think.  But other options are there.

Put in a reasonble offer for an OG that would be an immediate upgrade, only about two of them would be worth it.

consider making an offer for a FA RB assuming we have the roster space.  L Bell would be dream scenario.

Try to find the right FA CB as there are a lot, but we shouldn’t overpay.

Sign an ILB.

Draft:

grab a top two WR in the draft rd 1, must be a WR with a high floor and who can contribute day one (nfldraftscout.com has Kirks 40 at a 4.39, not official... but that’s the speed we need, like Tyreek or ODB “highest floor of any WR”... later round WRs will need to develop more to get on the field, we don’t have that luxury).

FAs should fill either OG or RB. Whichever position isn’t filled, great depth here for both positions in the 2nd round after which a major drop off in talent.

draft a depth CB or maybe one that could rotate in at nickel. Options avail in the 4th for sure or maybe we find one in the 2nd if we’d fill OG and don’t chase an RB either.

late rounds consider Blocking TE, OT, S, DT depth- what if we signed Star Lotululei and drafted Lowell Lotulelei and had his big bro whup him into shape!!!

based on FA avails and draft depth, this is how is see it all coming together.  Cheers ES

@Skinsinparadise if I was going to FO Cooley, I’d put him as the exec who hires the GM.  He’s not going to grind, but he could set direction, break ties, that kind of thing.  He could be the voice of reason (see what I did there) that sits between the coach, GM and Owner.  And it wouldn’t necessarily be a 80 hour a week job.

The problem is he openly admits that he is friends with certain folks and he would have a lot of trouble making changes if changes were called for.

@freakofthesouth

That’s a good breakdown.  

Based party on what I hope they do...I think they sign one fairly big FA - either DT, OG or WR.  I would guess DT, partially because there are several impact FAs at the position, and because they don’t have much money invested there.  One wildcard here is that they land a starting center instead of a guard and plan for Roullier to play LG.  They grab a decent, relatively cheap receiver (like last year with Quick) to compete.  They’ll likely have to ‘overpay’ for one that can stretch the field.  They sign a mid tier ILB (re-sign Brown), and corner.  Surely they’ll be in the market for an OLB.  I would guess Murphy, but I’m getting less sure as FA approaches.  

I can believe they may be happy with their current backs and TEs, and in the draft, focus instead on OG, WR, S, OLB, ILB and corner.  Personally, I’d hope to land a back (maybe after a trade back) and TE, preferably in the late 1st-3rd, and 3rd-4th respectively.  

I’m guessing they will have a short list of receivers to target and might sort of force a pick early (they need weapons, especially because their jobs might hinge on Smith).  I’m also guessing they want to shore up the corner spot (and not look bad for losing Fuller and Breeland), and so take a corner in the early rounds.  

@skinny21 right on, I also hope to land an RB if for no other reason, there are RBs a plenty in both FA and the draft:

L Bell...?

mcKinnon

Hyde

Crowell

anyone else in FA I don’t see it happening because they already have so many RBs it would have to be someone that can really come in and make a big difference. I still have mucho faith in Perine.  Dude is a great back, he had so little room to move last season, in his first go, I can see him improving and the coaches liking what they see in him.  Although a number of great options are there in the draft should we choose to go that route, of which a handful I would love to see on the team.  Would have to probably coincide with cutting a current RB.  Could be R Kelly unfortunately.  Good news is we can get an affordable FA RB.

WR I think again is where we would overpay. We have to ask ourselves, why are these other teams letting them walk?  Watkins after one season?  Richardson I heard disappears and has had trouble staying healthy.  Do we really wanna pay significantly for that sort of production?  IDK it’s just it making sense to me.  If there was a guy there that could really work out it’d say let’s do it but not really.  Albert Wilson has great speed and history with AS so if we don’t bring back Grant then I can see that happening.

i have seen some analysis talking about DTs in the draft and apparently the top brass of the class is overrated based on their production, and this includes Payne and Vea.  Watch Bama in 2016 and you see Johnathan Allen making the plays.  Not overrated.  We can sign depth here in the later rounds as we have the coaching to develop the position.

TE I also think we’re good at though we make try to find a blocking TE or FB in the late rounds: on a side note has anyone seen the tape on standford TE Shultz?  Holy moly he can block.

and a trade back is very possible if someone wants a Lamar Jackson.  There are two other teams in the teens potentially picking WR though, ravens and cowboys, so it’s dicey!

@freakofthesouth

I think the draft makes more sense for a back due to value.  I agree that it’s too early to write off Perine though.  Guice, Jones, Johnson, Michel and maybe a couple others would be great additions (and we wouldn’t need them to be a bell cow back).  

I’m leaning towards us addressing dline in FA - Richardson is my ideal, though Logan, Lotulelei, Poe and a couple others (DaQuan Jones especially) could help.  

I like Williamson at ILB, or re-signing Brown.  Someone like Bowman might come cheaper and provide some insurance depending on how the draft shakes out.  

There are a few dbs I’d look at - Reid, Trumaine Johnson, Akamura, Tre Boston, Vaccaro, Robey-Coleman, and Colvin... the last 3 slot corners to replace Fuller.  

I think Pugh at guard would be a great add.  

TE - we really haven’t seen much from Paul, Sprinkle is a bit of a question mark, Davis is aging (and not a very good blocker), and Reed is a walking injury (and poor blocker).  I’m with you on Schultz - he is in my top 5 for TEs.  He can block and is athletic enough to make a difference in the pass game.  A TE that can provide help with both the run and pass just makes so much sense to me.  

44 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@freakofthesouth

I think the draft makes more sense for a back due to value.  I agree that it’s too early to write off Perine though.  Guice, Jones, Johnson, Michel and maybe a couple others would be great additions (and we wouldn’t need them to be a bell cow back).  

I’m leaning towards us addressing dline in FA - Richardson is my ideal, though Logan, Lotulelei, Poe and a couple others (DaQuan Jones especially) could help.  

I like Williamson at ILB, or re-signing Brown.  Someone like Bowman might come cheaper and provide some insurance depending on how the draft shakes out.  

There are a few dbs I’d look at - Reid, Trumaine Johnson, Akamura, Tre Boston, Vaccaro, Robey-Coleman, and Colvin... the last 3 slot corners to replace Fuller.  

I think Pugh at guard would be a great add.  

TE - we really haven’t seen much from Paul, Sprinkle is a bit of a question mark, Davis is aging (and not a very good blocker), and Reed is a walking injury (and poor blocker).  I’m with you on Schultz - he is in my top 5 for TEs.  He can block and is athletic enough to make a difference in the pass game.  A TE that can provide help with both the run and pass just makes so much sense to me.  

Logan and Pugh main FA targets then onto the draft. 

HTTR 

word up @skinny21 Yeah Pugh would be decent as well, I'm not too versed on FA OGs but yes ideally we could find a decently priced veteran add instead of relying on developing a rookie to start the season...

Lots of DB options, so honestly I wouldnt be mad if they let Breeland walk, I mean lets be honest, he hasn't been great here.  He's been good but he's also given up some big plays.  Might be time for a change there.  and if it ends up being a rookie, then we have Moreau who hopefully can step up and yes Dunbar who they obviously believe in.  So I guess we're looking for a nickel perhaps??  some names we could draft at CB if we waited until the 4th to do so:

Tony Brown

Duke Dawson

Donte Jackson (speed)

Levi Wallace

Rashaan Gaulden

Darius Phillips

MJ Stewart (seems to show great production in school).

another thing to consider is Torrian Gray's presence and the propensity for him to want to draft his guys at VT and there are 2 of them in Brandon Facyson and Greg Stroman.

anyway back to FA yes there are a number of young ILBs or vet ILBs that can come in and make a difference over a will compton.  Not a ton of ILB in the draft.  I do love R Smith's speed and tackling prowess as he is a stalker, however he is shy of 230 which is not ideal.  I think we also have Su'a and we'll see how that shakes out, he can and has shown to be an asset in coverage, could be nickel LB kinda thing.

and I also love the idea of an RB in the draft as there are many.  hoenstly its possible one of these guys could fall to us in the 2nd round and I would scoop in this order:

Guice

Ronald Jones (4.39!)

K Johnson

Sony

anyone else and I dont see it happening, Chubb is great but to me, too similar to Perine.  What if we wait here and dig in next year on this position? Honestly Bryce Love is the one that I want 4.36?!?!, or Damien Harris.

Lets fuel up the jet for Leveon.  why not take the money we wouldve paid Kirk and get AS and LB?  that would epic.  but also a pipedream lol.  Leveon and Christian Kirk would take the offense over the top.  also is worth mentioning that the Steelers' cap situation isnt that great: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

My opinion Skins needs, LG, DT, RB and ILB so i would do the following:

LG- Zack Fulton - C/G Chiefs he would replace Spencer Long and likely be less expensive than Andrew Norwell. But Norwell would be fine also, I would stay away from Mewhort as he stays hurt or draft Isaiah Wynn

DT - Benny Logan, Dontari Poe or Star Louitai

ILB -Zack Brown, Preston Brown or draft pick

RB - Leaveon Bell, Jerick Mc kinnon or draft pick

27 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Logan and Pugh main FA targets then onto the draft. 

HTTR 

Got to wonder if we target Logan again, last year we had him in here for a couple of days before he eventually took an 8mil one year deal off KC. Not sure he earned that kind of money this season just past. Could see us sniffing around him on the cheap at say 5-6mil per season, not sure he'd take that.

33 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Starting to lean towards Justin Ellis or Daquan Jones over Bennie Logan. Thoughts?

Think ive moved on from Logan to Star Lotu, but the danger there is that we end up doing the same as last year by going cheap, or more that we sign multiple guys on 5-6mil per year mid tier FA deals.

We seem to have a decent amount of depth. Perhaps we need to go all in on a couple of top tier players. For example, maybe we should go over the top for Norwell and Landry, then get a RB and stock up on defensive talent via the draft.

However, there are lots of teams with money to burn who may been more appealing to FA's and they will purge the cream of FA before we even get out of the gate.

Craig Hoffman covering the team for 106.7.  His take from being around the building.   There is a quiet confidence in that building that they are close.  Maybe they make a run at one marquee FA, he mentioned someone like Norwood but said that's hypothetical he doesn't have inside info about any interest him.  And other than one major FA he'd be surprised if they are that aggressive in FA.  

58 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Starting to lean towards Justin Ellis or Daquan Jones over Bennie Logan. Thoughts?

Jones, yes - he’s an all around player and still young.  Ellis I’m not so sure about.  He’s a heck of a run stuffer, which we need, but 0 career sacks?  Man.  He’s also a bit older than I’d like (I think).  Would be fun to see him in our base D though, and he’d help out the ILBs.  

@freakofthesouthLot of good points there.  Agreed about G, the dbs, Gray, the rbs (including your opinion on Chubb).  

I’d stay away from Bell as he’d eat up about 3/4 of our cap space (after setting aside the requisite 15-17).  I’ll add that I think runningback is just one of our problems in the ground game, there are other good options in FA, and several in the draft...so the value isn’t there for me.  I also think the FO wouldn’t be down with that move, but I could be wrong.  With that said, if they are pretty happy with -

the dline

G options (Kalis/Catalina, or maybe bringing back Long/Bergstrom)

TEs

ILBs

corners

or think they can address them through the draft, Bell might be more of a possibility.  I’m assuming he stays in Pittsburgh, but he’d be the flashy signing that helps Alex Smith and the offense.  It would be a bold move that probably improves the PR side of things.  

@UK SKINS FAN '74 We're in an ok spot with cap room.  We're not the Browns... but thank gawd right?? Am I right?!  Lol ok anyway

Yeah addng Norwell could create one of the best OLs in the league.  We need that interior push big time so that would be money well spent. However, though I do not know the exact figures, thats a lot of dough on OGs with Sherff but it's worth it...?  OL could be FA but draft options exist as well.

Yeah I think priority #1 is DT and they'll invest.  Probably cut McClain right?  take a little cap penalty; team is doing well managing cap penalties thus far so it wouldnt hurt too much...  So add this and a late round flyer on a project guy for Tomsula to take the reigns in D line interior.

and no doubt @oraphus we are dreaming about L Bell but dang... it's the offseason, thats the whole point.  Lets just pretend the front office is reading/lurking on these threads and getting great ideas.

and I agree @skinny21 that acquiring Bell would be exorbitant... good to consider the cap space share.  but can't rule it out... just yet.  Would make fans forget a lil bit about Kirk Cousins leaving.  Would upstage his FA bidding IMHO.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Craig Hoffman covering the team for 106.7.  His take from being around the building.   There is a quiet confidence in that building that they are close.  Maybe they make a run at one marquee FA, he mentioned someone like Norwood but said that's hypothetical he doesn't have inside info about any interest him.  And other than one major FA he'd be surprised if they are that aggressive in FA.  

That’s what I’ve come to expect.  They want one flashy move to improve attitudes toward them, and help a unit take a big step forward.  Also, a second expensive FA means we’re out of money for the smaller signings/re-signings.  

10 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Jones, yes - he’s an all around player and still young.  Ellis I’m not so sure about.  He’s a heck of a run stuffer, which we need, but 0 career sacks?  Man.  He’s also a bit older than I’d like (I think).  Would be fun to see him in our base D though, and he’d help out the ILBs.  

Was listening to one of the insiders types recently but forgot which one said it and that is they feel like they are gashed on the ground in nickel.  So they want a guy who can do both -- rush the passer and stop the run to add to the nickel rotation.   They might not be in line for a pure run stuffer.

Lanier for example they love as a pass rusher but he's a serious liability against the run so at the moment they don't see him as the solution.

Archived