DC9

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

16 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Speaking of....

from that article, I'd actually be fine if they brought Pryor back for another year.  Smith is in theory better at making off script plays than Cousins, which might lead to more opportunities than he had this season with Cousins not willing to throw the 50/50 balls.  He'd be cheaper than last year, have another year of getting accustomed to playing the postion, and hopefully got his ankle fixed.  I wouldn't pencil him in as a starter, but his talent and potential upside didn't just disappear overnight.  I think him and John Brown would be 2 low cost/high reward options that could be brought in but still allow Doctson and Crowder to develop.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

from that article, I'd actually be fine if they brought Pryor back for another year.  Smith is in theory better at making off script plays than Cousins, which might lead to more opportunities than he had this season with Cousins not willing to throw the 50/50 balls.  He'd be cheaper than last year, have another year of getting accustomed to playing the postion, and hopefully got his ankle fixed.  I wouldn't pencil him in as a starter, but his talent and potential upside didn't just disappear overnight.  I think him and John Brown would be 2 low cost/high reward options that could be brought in but still allow Doctson and Crowder to develop.

None of that is gonna fix his hands, which are just not good enough.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Kurd Cudins said:

None of that is gonna fix his hands, which are just not good enough.

I disagree.  Another year of training for the position WOULD help his hands.  I think we all as fans had unrealistic expecations that he'd be able to make the switch instantaneously, but there's no way he's a finished product.   Definitely no way to say that hes topped out or reached a point that he can't get any better.

Edited by Reaper Skins
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

I disagree.  Another year of training for the position WOULD help his hands.  I think we all as fans had unrealistic expecations that he'd be able to make the switch instantaneously, but there's no way he's a finished product.   Definitely no way to say that hes topped out or reached a point that he can't get any better.

I generally agree with you, but if Smith truly is a guy that throws to open receivers vs jump ball types, Pryor has to get a lot better at route running.  He has the athleticism to do it, and he’s still new to the position, but it’s going to be tough to get there.  I don’t want to be in a situation like last year where Gruden feels like he has to play him even if he’s struggling... 

So how much do you pay a guy (especially considering our cap/roster situation) for potential only?

I (think I) like your suggestion of Brown though.  There’s risk there too, but I like the potential reward.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, actorguy1 said:

Get us Bennie Logan and one of Paul Richardson/Taylor Gabriel/John Brown level WR and call it a day

I would actually be fine with that.

I also am warming to Sammy Watkins.  I just have a feeling Jay can make that work.

2 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

That is a thin WR market which means desperate teams are going to overpay.

Really interesting listen on 106.7 this lunch break today.  Craig Hoffman said he isn't so sure that Denver won't make a move to dump either Thomas or Sanders.  There are also folks like Dez out there where we have no idea what will happen.

If GMs like this class or see less value for some of those fringe guys they may try and get out of contracts if they have an opportunity to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/13/2018 at 1:10 PM, DC9 said:

Really interesting listen on 106.7 this lunch break today.  Craig Hoffman said he isn't so sure that Denver won't make a move to dump either Thomas or Sanders.  There are also folks like Dez out there where we have no idea what will happen.

If GMs like this class or see less value for some of those fringe guys they may try and get out of contracts if they have an opportunity to.

I'm actually not that surprised, before the A. Smith trade I jumped on the 2 major Broncos messageboards just to take a temp on the Kirk situation and mostly what I found were fans ****ing about both WR's and their RB.

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I'm actually not that surprised, before the A. Smith trade I jumped on the 2 major Broncos messageboards just to take a temp on the Kirk situation and mostly what I found was fans ****ing about both WR's and their RB.

Wonder how much of that stems from poor qbing...

• Thanks 1

On 12/02/2018 at 6:43 PM, actorguy1 said:

Should the Redskins be interested?

Hasn't taken long for the Manusky/Indy, plus Vernon Davis being here, connection to get floated about.

• Haha 1

Is this a hint from ZB to a signing coming?
and then there is this about Junior....

Edited by HigSkin
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Hope Brown comes back, but it's got to be at a reasonable contract for the Redskins. 6m per year is as high as I would go.

HTTR 

I think it's be a bit higher, but not by much.

Seems to me like we are holding back with a couple of these re-signs, I think we will have deals in place in principle on a couple of fronts but are still keeping our cap situation clear for now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I think it's be a bit higher, but not by much.

Seems to me like we are holding back with a couple of these re-signs, I think we will have deals in place in principle on a couple of fronts but are still keeping our cap situation clear for now.

Please be more specific, UK SKINS FAN 74?  

7 hours ago, HigSkin said:
Is this a hint from ZB to a signing coming?
and then there is this about Junior....

Certainly sounds like Brown is hinting at coming back to me too, HigSkin.  I think it happens a day or two before FA starts.  Just a guess.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the Skins are actually hoping to lose a number of free agents this year and just rake in the extra picks next year

I mean besides the three we should lose: Kirk, Breeland and  Pryor(Oakland and Cleveland both want him back, he will have a team)

we could also lose: Zach Brown, the biggest one loss if we do

Spencer Long

Junior Galette his late season push was just the right time for him with teams thinking it just took a while to get back in game rhythm

Ryan Grant, Niles Paul, depending on the other teams depth Kirk's new team could want some familiar targets, Grant won't be going to Minnesota for example but if Cousins ends up elsewhere?

Dustin Hopkins, free agent kickers don't have a huge market, but someone could want to give him a try

Chris Carter, Will Compton, there's always a market for the special teams guys, and Compton started out as a special teamer for the Skins

other guys probably aren't going to have much market/be on a team next year

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, carex said:

I think the Skins are actually hoping to lose a number of free agents this year and just rake in the extra picks next year

I mean besides the three we should lose: Kirk, Breeland and  Pryor(Oakland and Cleveland both want him back, he will have a team)

we could also lose: Zach Brown, the biggest one loss if we do

Spencer Long

Junior Galette his late season push was just the right time for him with teams thinking it just took a while to get back in game rhythm

Ryan Grant, Niles Paul, depending on the other teams depth Kirk's new team could want some familiar targets, Grant won't be going to Minnesota for example but if Cousins ends up elsewhere?

Dustin Hopkins, free agent kickers don't have a huge market, but someone could want to give him a try

Chris Carter, Will Compton, there's always a market for the special teams guys, and Compton started out as a special teamer for the Skins

other guys probably aren't going to have much market/be on a team next year

We are getting mixed messages about Zach Brown by beat guys, but my gut is he's back.  Grant back.  Hopkins back.  Murphy back.

I'd guess Galette, Breeland, Pryor, Long gone. Paul not sure.  Chris Carter-Compton not sure -- but for those two they will likely get peanuts if they leave and thereby irrelevant to draft compensation probably.

But I do think they make up ground with FA signings.  They don't have a third rounder.  They subtracted a corner already and likely to subtract another.   They IMO can't go in the draft needing 1 maybe 2 receivers, a RB, a LG, a corner, another D lineman.  You can't typically count on your 4th round pick down as in the bag starters.  So you essentially have 2 picks in the draft to fill a bunch of needs.  So since that doesn't even come close to adding up.  I think we will see an aggressive FA season from this team. 

Arguably Jay and maybe even Bruce's job is on the line this season so hard for me to see an approach where they potentially take a step back to maintain the 2019 season bounty of compensation picks.  I am not saying you are saying otherwise.  Just saying if the idea is to gain a whole bunch of compensation picks -- the other side of it is they won't be signing enough players to offset the loses.  I suspect they will at least come close to offsetting them. 

• Like 2

It's the Redskins, we're gonna overpay for Brown. But, IMO, he is in that Kurt Cousins tier- very good at is position but will get paid above his talent level. 

I love his tackling ability, and recognizing he is limited in pass coverage, I think he is still a good sign at 8-9 mil per year. Our D was looking top 10ish when healthy in the beginning of year. 

As far as free agency goes in general, there's a reason there isn't any real talent out there. Good players are getting deals now, there's a reason why a player is making it to FA in almost all cases. 

I'd be happy with that Brown, Long (mostly as depth, C), P. Smith, Scherf and Crowder signing. Extensions so we get future value on their contracts. Than, if the stars do align and we need 1 piece next year or 2, we have a brinks truck for a Leveon Bell type. He's not for us this year, but thats how you should approach FA. 

I wouldn't be upset if we throw a lot of money at a Guard. I wouldn't want skill players in FA, but a G would be great

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bonez3 said:

It's the Redskins, we're gonna overpay for Brown. But, IMO, he is in that Kurt Cousins tier- very good at is position but will get paid above his talent level. 

I love his tackling ability, and recognizing he is limited in pass coverage, I think he is still a good sign at 8-9 mil per year. Our D was looking top 10ish when healthy in the beginning of year. 

As far as free agency goes in general, there's a reason there isn't any real talent out there. Good players are getting deals now, there's a reason why a player is making it to FA in almost all cases. 

I'd be happy with that Brown, Long (mostly as depth, C), P. Smith, Scherf and Crowder signing. Extensions so we get future value on their contracts. Than, if the stars do align and we need 1 piece next year or 2, we have a brinks truck for a Leveon Bell type. He's not for us this year, but thats how you should approach FA. 

I wouldn't be upset if we throw a lot of money at a Guard. I wouldn't want skill players in FA, but a G would be great

If we pay Brown 8/9m we are stupid, 6m tops and give Murphy 1 year 2/3m deal.

HTTR 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

We've actually been very prudent spending lately.  I thought the Moses deal was a bit inflated, but not embarrassing.  Norman got a big payday, but other than that we've been closer to cheap than we have excessive.... unless I'm forgetting someone?

I dont know if I'd pay Brown that... I want to say I remember last year he was looking for $6 mil a year, so with the cap bump I'd prefer to stay under $7mil.  $9 mil would put him in top 3 money for ILB I believe.... Not sure I'd want to spend that... $7mil puts him solid in the top 10 as far as money goes, and now that the Chiefs have let Johnson go, there may be a little bit of an urgency since there is an older, possibly less expensive option on the market.  

Edited by OVCChairman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

We've actually been very prudent spending lately.  I thought the Moses deal was a bit inflated, but not embarrassing.  Norman got a big payday, but other than that we've been closer to cheap than we have excessive.... unless I'm forgetting someone?

I agree, but I just see us regressing to the mean. Giving up Fuller was absurd. The prelim numbers for All Smith also inflated. 

But yea, I think for quite some time they have managed the cap great. If anything, its about all they do right.

I think I was more just saying, 'it's the Redskins, we'll get it wrong'. Just feels right to say anymore.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We are getting mixed messages about Zach Brown by beat guys, but my gut is he's back.  Grant back.  Hopkins back.  Murphy back.

I'd guess Galette, Breeland, Pryor, Long gone. Paul not sure.  Chris Carter-Compton not sure -- but for those two they will likely get peanuts if they leave and thereby irrelevant to draft compensation probably.

But I do think they make up ground with FA signings.  They don't have a third rounder.  They subtracted a corner already and likely to subtract another.   They IMO can't go in the draft needing 1 maybe 2 receivers, a RB, a LG, a corner, another D lineman.  You can't typically count on your 4th round pick down as in the bag starters.  So you essentially have 2 picks in the draft to fill a bunch of needs.  So since that doesn't even come close to adding up.  I think we will see an aggressive FA season from this team. 

Arguably Jay and maybe even Bruce's job is on the line this season so hard for me to see an approach where they potentially take a step back to maintain the 2019 season bounty of compensation picks.  I am not saying you are saying otherwise.  Just saying if the idea is to gain a whole bunch of compensation picks -- the other side of it is they won't be signing enough players to offset the loses.  I suspect they will at least come close to offsetting them. 

I'm not expecting them to be totally off free agents, though they may try to work with some cap casualties.  But compensation is a key part to the comp pick thing, from what I understand.  So if Kirk signs some 5 year $135 million contract and we sign a guy for 5 years $20 million, we're probably still getting a comp pick.