Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Hope so...Think Settle is more of a project short term, so in my opinion you go get Hankins.

Hankins, Payne, Allen, Ion Man, Settle, plus the best of the rest. 

All young, very little money invested in the group as a collective. 

Dominant DL in a division with Zeke and Barkley. 

I thought I was obsessed with wanting Hankins fellow Brit?. ??

HTTR 

1 hour ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Hope not but he may be. I consider him a leader in the locker room and our only real vet on the D line. He has a 1.7M cap hit this year but may be a cut candidate bc his dead money is less than 200k. 

Also a numbers game:

Allen

Payne

Ionnidis

Settle

McGee

Lanier

Hood or Phil Taylor

I dont see us keeping 8 interior DL, probably not even 7 but I dont think we can stash Lanier on the PS 

What's the cap hit by releasing McGee?. 

HTTR 

Maybe I am too often contrarian and that blends into my thinking here, but I see McGee as one of the four locks (with Allen, Ioannidis, Lanier) before heading into the draft. If choices have to be made to keep the DL at 6 players, I think we'll see Taylor as the last cut with Hood receiving some consideration. 

If Hankins is signed, I think they go with 7 DL. Either way, I wouldn't be shocked to see the OL and DL get a +1 to their typical group size this season based on last season. 

I think McGee vs Hood will be interesting.  I dont think we make any plays for DL in free agency, we just drafted 2, and I think one of McGee and Hood is guaranteed to go.  The decision will be down to is McGee worth 1.5 million more than Hood for this year, as we can cut him next  year and thats the net cost.

Right now I see the DL as Allen, Payne, Ioanidas, Lanier, Settle, and the 6th spot going to one of McGee, Hood, or Taylor.  I could see them keeping 7 due to Tomsula loving to rotate guys, but I think unless Taylor goes down to injury he wins the 7th spot.  For the first time its a good problem to have.

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

If Hankins is signed, I think they go with 7 DL. Either way, I wouldn't be shocked to see the OL and DL get a +1 to their typical group size this season based on last season. 

Maybe either one or the other, but doing that for both would gut your special teams too severely, methinks.

We won't be making another move at DT unless we get bit by the injury bug. Given that DLs are usually limited on special teams, I think if we go heavy at defensive positions, it'll likely be at LB and/or DB. Further, you can reactivate guys from IR if needed and, given that some of the guys are JAGS, you could even risk cutting them and resigning them later if needed.  I see 6 on the final roster as the most likely case. At this time, I don't see Settle as a lock, he'd probably be a 6 or 7 if we don't think we can PS him.  Hood seems to be more versatile than McGee but I could be wrong.

5 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I don't understand why we released McClain now instead of waiting until after June 1 when the cap hit is much less.

Anyone?

We need the cap space next year more to sign Scherff, Crowder, and Smith next year more than we need those cap dollars this year. 

3 hours ago, Silvernon said:

Maybe I am too often contrarian and that blends into my thinking here, but I see McGee as one of the four locks (with Allen, Ioannidis, Lanier) before heading into the draft. If choices have to be made to keep the DL at 6 players, I think we'll see Taylor as the last cut with Hood receiving some consideration. 

McGee had very good odds before the draft, but that second guy in the draft changes things

27 minutes ago, Burgold said:

We need the cap space next year more to sign Scherff, Crowder, and Smith next year more than we need those cap dollars this year. 

I get that but I looked at OTC and it shows a total cap penalty of $7M for his release and I expected it to be closer to $3.5M.

I think we cost ourselves more money by cutting him before June 1.

40 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I don't understand why we released McClain now instead of waiting until after June 1 when the cap hit is much less.

Anyone?

By doing it now the cap is decreased this year and off the books in 2019. Post June 1 some of it would have counted against the 2019 cap

Eat the hit this year, more 2019 cap. Spread it to next year and have less to spend in 2019. June 1st cuts spread money to the next year

Either way it cost them the same. Say 3 million this year versus 1.5 the next two years decision

7 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I get that but I looked at OTC and it shows a total cap penalty of $7M for his release and I expected it to be closer to $3.5M.

I looked at the cap calculator and it said his cap hit this year if we keep him is 4.8 and if we cut him it's 3.2

10 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

No, because had we done a designation on him, he'd have counted 3.5M on next year's cap.  Remember, cap is basically an accounting fiction.

22 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

Junior Galette is still available. Hmm. 

Starting with a tangent... I was never impressed with Lauvao, but my biggest issue with him was his production vs his salary.  Bring Lauvao back on a cheap deal and sign Galette, and this might be our most ‘complete’ team in ages (if it’s not already).  

Edit:  to spell that out a bit...

I’d feel good about our Dline, Oline, OLBs, ILBs, Safeties, RBs and QBs (though I’m not yet sold on our ILB/S depth).  

I would/do feel ok with our corners, receivers and TEs... and even at those spots, we have some good players - Norman, Richardson, Crowder and Reed - some legitimately promising players - Moreau, Doctson and Sprinkle - and the rest is a nice blend of decent vets and interesting guys.  

14 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Starting with a tangent... I was never impressed with Lauvao, but my biggest issue with him was his production vs his salary.  Bring Lauvao back on a cheap deal and sign Galette, and this might be our most ‘complete’ team in ages.  

McPhee is the new Junior Galette...he might be better production too.

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

McPhee is the new Junior Galette...he might be better production too.

Yeah, but McPhee isn’t a speed rusher - he won’t provide that same change of pace pass rush.  I also think we (partially) opted for McPhee because Anderson is primed to become the next man up.  I do think McPhee will be tough for Anderson to beat out though.  Not knocking McPhee - he may prove to be a better backup (vs situational rusher) if called upon as such.  As a straight pass rusher though?  I take Galette easy... especially at this point in their careers.  

Since we didn't take a young EDGE, I would be okay getting Gallete's speed back, he has a skill-set we can't replicate otherwise, McPhee is a totally different player and will be good for other reasons. But having Gallete to rotate in would be a cheap luxury I'd really like to have...but he strikes me as a "Scot" guy they may not be eager to bring back. 

14 hours ago, Burgold said:

I never feel good about someone losing their job, but I am glad that it was a pre-June cut.

Thanks for being that guy to post something like this. This was a bad signing for the Skins, but from everything I saw Mclain was excited to be here when he signed and put in the work and effort to start. He just didn't have the talent that this defense needs to go to the next level. The cut saves the team money and gives him and his family time to find a new home.

So for me personally I'm thankful for his service and will not clown him on his way out.

Agree @beachboy757 - McClain was trash as a player but I don't get the impression that he did anything except come in and try his hardest. That's pretty much all you can ask him to do. He was a waste of money, but it's not his fault we agreed to pay him that much, that's on our FO. No hard feelings towards him from me, but from a fan perspective I think it's better for the team that he's gone. He doesn't deserve any **** from us though - the dude tried.

17 hours ago, wit33 said:

Youd be set for 30% of downs and less versus the elite QBs. 

Vince was a special player, I think ... 

Good point. 

Someone should tell Belichick he was wrong to play Wilfork in the multiple matchups against P Manning. 

Archived