Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

Good point from Keim about 1 year deals

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35581/chris-thompson-says-everybody-got-mixed-messages-on-kirk-cousins

Having so many players on one-year deals was also a problem. At one point in training camp, the Redskins had 17 players considered either starters or key players who were entering the final year of their deals. Some ended up getting hurt (Trent Murphy, Phil Taylor) before the season started. Still, nearly a third of their roster was in a situation similar to Cousins'. And their focus, ultimately, is on what matters most: themselves.

It’s one thing to have hungry players wanting to prove themselves -- that can be good. But it’s another to have guys who need to build stats to get that new deal.

And it’s hard to build the sort of culture you want when there’s constant change, which is what happens in these situations. There are concepts you can’t build upon -- or that take longer to add -- when you have to go back a step to get other new players up to speed. Change happens every year, of course, and the Redskins’ offense was able to build over the past few years (the defense was not) because so many returned.

7 hours ago, carex said:

the Skins have an OL that's weak on run blocking.  It;s hard to tell if improving the run blocking might improve what we've got

Interior OL needs sorting.

Norwell would be nice at LG but I see him getting a massive deal, maybe at NYG.

Ryan Jensen from the Ravens at C shouldn't be a consideration. Would be a significant upgrade. 

7 hours ago, carex said:

the Skins have an OL that's weak on run blocking.  It;s hard to tell if improving the run blocking might improve what we've got

I actually somewhat disagree.  I think the run scheme sucks toes.  I also think that the players don’t for the scheme across the board.  

We we run a lot of this power draw stuff where the OT sets pass, then the middle tries to ru. A power up the middle.  The idea is to invite the DE and OL up the field and reduce the number of defenders to block.  However the thing that our interior line does the worst is power block.  

What thw OL does best is ourside zone type plays where they can use their athleticism, and allow the RB to pick their whole.  In order to run this, however, you need 2 things: 1. TEs who can set the edge, 2. A RB with vision and explosiveness who can cut and head upfield quickly.  Having WRs who can hold blocks is also important for runs more than 3-4 yards.

This is the Shanahan run scheme, and it works beautifully if you have the right pieces.

We have neither the TEs nor the RB.  Our WRs are generally blah, so whatever.  

So I actually think that the OL, even interior, is ok (need a new LG), but where the real upgrade needs to be is TE and WR.

And then Gruden/Callahan/Cavanaugh/whoever else schemes offense needs to figure out how to commit to and coach a scheme.

The Skins haven’t been able to run the ball consistently since Gruden has been here.  That’s a trend. He needs to figure out why and fix it.  And it’s not all on the OL.

18 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I'd like to sign Carlos Hyde at RB if possible. He is lesser Tod Gurley, but plenty good enough to be a feature back.  He is strong, has good field vision, runs downhill great, and can also catch passes out of the backfield.  

I'm a bit surprised this hasn't been talked about more. 

Carlos Hyde seems like a great fit here - it seems like a no-brainer. I feel there is only space for one back (___ + Perine, Thompson + Bibbs/Marshall).

Speaking of obvious fits, what about Bennie Logan?

In many ways, NT/DL is the same as RB.

Ioannidis and Allen are starters.
McClain/Francis and McGee are reserves
Lanier is a project they'll hang onto. 

Leaves room for 1-2 players. 

In some respects, receiver is in the same situation. It would be nice to get a veteran who could still stretch the field.

15 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

On very limited information, I have convinced myself that the Redskins need Paul Richardson

I'm not sure on Richardson, basically had a decent year on the back of nothing, seems like a popular choice. Might get a Robert Woods type deal from someone, 4/30mil plus. Is he worth that. Not convinced. Could be a McGee or McClain type deal that keeps getting flamed around here. Might need to aim higher, i.e. Landry,  or take a chance on the draft.

Tandler's take is this: —With about $31 million in salary cap space, how aggressively will the Redskins hit the free agent market? I think that the priority will be to give extensions to Jamison Crowder, Brandon Scherff and perhaps Preston Smith and to re-sign Zach Brown. Extensions of fourth-year players generally carry relatively low first-year cap hits so even if they get all of that done they still should have around $18 million left. The probably want to go into the season with about $8 million and they will need a couple of million to sign their draft picks. They can fit a couple of mid-tier players with the other $8 million. So, to answer the original question, not very aggressive.

I agree with this, be aggressive in FA if they lost]e the comp pick so be it. I'd feel different if they drafted a young QB but if you are going older and a win now approach play the whole thing out.  Maybe I'd feel different if it was a high 3rd round pick.  But its the bottom of that round.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/BarnwellxFiveNFCMoves2018/five-moves-nfc-team-make-2018-nfl-offseason-trades-free-agency-cuts-bill-barnwell

Cousins is a sunk cost at this point. Washington can get a third-round compensatory selection in the 2019 draft when Cousins signs elsewhere, but the comp pick isn't guaranteed. Washington can nullify the selection by investing in free agency, either by going after a top-tier talent or a handful of cheaper players. The latter strategy will prevent the Bills from picking up a compensatory pick for Stephon Gilmore this year.

Obviously, compensatory picks can be valuable, and free agency can often be a fool's errand, especially for Snyder. What I don't like is the idea of sitting out free agency and ensuring a compensatory pick just so Washington can sit there and say it got something back for Cousins. That's a PR move, not a football decision. Those third-round compensatory picks also haven't delivered many stars in recent years. Here are the players drafted with third-round comp selections over the past 10 drafts:

It's still too early to evaluate some of the more recent classes, but these guys combined for all of one Pro Bowl appearance, and that was from DeCoud, who was drafted a decade ago. Adding a compensatory pick is a smart move, but sitting out free agency specifically so Snyder can say five years from now that he got a second tight end or a subpar offensive lineman as compensation for Cousins isn't the right football decision for this franchise, especially after trading for a 33-year-old starting quarterback.

Sitting out FA for the company pick is dumb.  However, re-signing Brown, trading for Smith and extending Scherff/Crowder doesn’t count against losing Cousins, so that’s probably a smart way to go IMO.  

Of course, if Brown wants north of 8 mil, no thanks. Use that money on a FA, or maybe roll it to next year (giving you a year to evaluate draft picks and young guys like Moreau/Holsey/Nicholson).  

5. Be selective with free agency investments. If Washington loses Breeland and Cousins in free agency, it should be able to recoup at least the third-round pick while signing one -- and maybe only one -- impact free-agent. That might be the aforementioned Patrick Robinson or another cornerback, but Washington shouldn't be trying to plug four or five roster spots with free agents.

I've suggested in the past that it could be the team that pays Le'Veon Bell $15 million per year, in part to give its fans something to focus their attention on after losing Cousins, but I suspect Pittsburgh will franchise its star running back. Maybe Washington will go for a wide receiver like Allen Robinson or Sammy Watkins to load up on weapons for Smith. Washington can also sign players who were released by their current teams without affecting the compensatory formula, so possible cap casualties like Dez Bryant and DeMarco Murray could figure in here.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/BarnwellxFiveNFCMoves2018/five-moves-nfc-team-make-2018-nfl-offseason-trades-free-agency-cuts-bill-barnwell

31 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:
Tandler's take is this: —With about $31 million in salary cap space, how aggressively will the Redskins hit the free agent market? I think that the priority will be to give extensions to Jamison Crowder, Brandon Scherff and perhaps Preston Smith and to re-sign Zach Brown. Extensions of fourth-year players generally carry relatively low first-year cap hits so even if they get all of that done they still should have around $18 million left. The probably want to go into the season with about $8 million and they will need a couple of million to sign their draft picks. They can fit a couple of mid-tier players with the other $8 million. So, to answer the original question, not very aggressive.

Tandler doesn't seem to understand much about the salary cap....he just said that draft picks were only going to cost a couple million.
Last year's 13th pick was a $2.45M cap hit in 2017. 

Extensions typically occur to spread out the bonus over an extra year. Especially if the last year or two of the deal will not create a large dead cap hit if the player is release/traded. There are other ways of doing extensions without using the 2018 cap. The only ones they shouldn't wait on (if they see a long-term fit) are Scherff and Smith. Those two could get expensive quick. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

2008: Chad Rinehart,

Wow a Rhino throwback.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've suggested in the past that it could be the team that pays Le'Veon Bell $15 million per year, in part to give its fans something to focus their attention on after losing Cousins

If PIT let him walk, my God we would be all over him like a rash.

2 hours ago, Silvernon said:

Tandler doesn't seem to understand much about the salary cap....he just said that draft picks were only going to cost a couple million.
Last year's 13th pick was a $2.45M cap hit in 2017. 

Extensions typically occur to spread out the bonus over an extra year. Especially if the last year or two of the deal will not create a large dead cap hit if the player is release/traded. There are other ways of doing extensions without using the 2018 cap. The only ones they shouldn't wait on (if they see a long-term fit) are Scherff and Smith. Those two could get expensive quick. 

Rule of 51 balances some of that out, our rookie pool of say 7mil may hit the cap by 4 mil max if we don't move picks from what we have.

As for Scherff, highest paid guard in waiting, let's see what's Norwell gets in FA and go from there.

41 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Rule of 51 balances some of that out, our rookie pool of say 7mil may hit the cap by 4 mil max if we don't move picks from what we have.

As for Scherff, highest paid guard in waiting, let's see what's Norwell gets in FA and go from there.

You're right - but 4 million is different than 2 million. 

I suppose you're right and they will use Norwell's deal as a marker. 

On 2/10/2018 at 9:38 AM, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Saw BR article said Taylor Gabriel to WAS would be our biggest FA move. I could see it. Not sure it would be the “biggest” but he’d be our deep threat and probably wouldn’t cost a fortune. Makes sense. 

I should like it, but jaded me sees Andre Roberts 2.0. Gabriel is a touch more talented due to his speed, but boy this feels like a classic Redskins-overpaying-average-players kind of move. 

I know a lot are looking to land Allen Robinson, but unless he wants to come to the Skins on a huge discount, which no one ever does, then I'll pass. He regressed two seasons ago and then suffered the big injury last season, just too big of a risk.

I say we hang tight in FA, let a few walk, re-sign our own and rake in compensatory picks; I want to feel like we at least got something for Cousins. But with our dumbass FO, I'm sure we'll sign just enough below average players to blow it...

Speaking of compensatory picks, they need to revise the system so that it's not such a guessing game as to who is worth what. 

We have to address WR in FA to an extent. My crystal ball tells me Watkins is going to be the guy along with a resigning of Grant. The big name is going to be a guard or a d-lineman. Still say Norwell or Richardson is going to be the big fish the Skins grab. So tired of the mid to low tier guy. We need a splash this year on a biggin! Time is a tickin closer!

Thanks for posting the compensatory picks.... jeeze... and we're not a team known for drafting well, especially in the mid to late rounds.

I'm in the same boat where I'd stick to whatever my plan was coming in to this offseason.  Ideally you have a plan that involved Cousins staying and you had a plan that involved him leaving.  Flip to the plan that had him leaving - where it looks like we already were since we traded for a QB - and lets see what happens.

I don't think we have a ton of money outside of re-signing or extended some of the guys already on the squad, and that's fine.  I think we can make one impact signing and hopefully that's an offensive weapon.  We don't want to look like the Giants where when you get out of your "win now" window you don't have a ton of cap and most of your team is poop cause your money is tied up into 4 or 5 players.

Archived