DC9

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

Well that was a short lived qb battle.  Did they just get around to watching tape of Morris, or do they like Hogan that much?  Hmm...

• Confused 1

The Redskins do want to add another player to the line, possibly free agent Johnathan Hankins (if his price tag lowers) or by drafting someone in the top couple rounds.

Thus far, the Redskins haven't done much to improve their defensive line. They re-signed nose tackle Phil Taylor, but he missed last season with a torn quad and hasn't played since 2014. They believe he can help if he stays healthy. If. But they also know more work remains up front, having discussed it several times this offseason. Washington did rank last in rushing yards per game and was 29th in yards per carry allowed. It takes more than just the line to stop the run, but it's clear they want more options up front.

The question is, will they address it with the 13th overall pick? Washington's Vita Vea is a possibility; he could play every line spot -- as he did in college. He could help in the Redskins' base front as well as in their nickel package. They shouldn't draft any linemen at 13 who also can't help pressure the passer by, at the least, collapsing the pocket.

There's solid interior defensive line depth in this draft class and the Redskins have shown interest in Virginia Tech's Tim Settle, among others. He'd be a candidate in the second round (44 might be too high for him) or if they add a pick in the third.

A number of times last season players privately talked about needing a big body up front -- linebackers would say this and there were even some lineman who felt this way. 

The Redskins do like other defensive players quite a bit, notably safety Derwin James and safety/corner Minkah Fitzpatrick. Both could help immediately, whether starting or in some sort of role featuring their versatility. Of course, eventually they could replace Swearinger at strong safety

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/36197/d-j-swearinger-to-the-redskins-build-up-the-defensive-line

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

The way DJ talked about Fuller when he left, sounding as if we lost a future HOFer, ya'd think DJ would be all over taking a DB with the 1st pick :rofl89:

Hearing D. Hall talk about Fuller too -- it seems like their vibe is that he's beyond just a good corner but he will be a special one.  Will see. 

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hearing D. Hall talk about Fuller too -- it seems like their vibe is that he's beyond just a good corner but he will be a special one.  Will see. 

Aside from his top notch physical skill set, supposedly he was epic in the film room and just understood everything the opposing offense was doing. 

Remember how many screen passes he blew up last season? He knew it was coming before anyone else. 

That’s extremely impressive for a second year guy. It’s something that absolutely will be missed and positively affected everyone around him. :/

• Like 4
  • Sad 11

send our first round pick to brother Jon... for Khalil Mack. He's unhappy in Oakland and reports are that Jon Gruden doesn't give two ****s, as you've seen with Punter Marquette KIng.

Lol. I’m thinking it’s time to give up on the Hankins dream. If we were going to sign him, I’d thin we would have already. The team must be ok with drafting a D Line guy in the first round. 

Maybe next year ??‍♂️

31 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Lol. I’m thinking it’s time to give up on the Hankins dream. If we were going to sign him, I’d thin we would have already. The team must be ok with drafting a D Line guy in the first round. 

Maybe next year ??‍♂️

Hoping you act as a reverse jinx! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I'd say that a 4mil deal for Logan, possibly rising up-to 5mil, is good business for the Titans. Interesting that we only want to give Hankins a one year deal. Can't imagine it's for much more than the level Logan's getting.

Edited by UK SKINS FAN '74

56 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

send our first round pick to brother Jon... for Khalil Mack. He's unhappy in Oakland and reports are that Jon Gruden doesn't give two ****s, as you've seen with Punter Marquette KIng.

This would be interesting...

Hankins will probably be available post draft.. the idea is to see how the draft plays out and if he is still around and skins did not draft NT, bring him in. hopefully 

I'm really confused by the Hankins market.  I mean if he is "all that" why didn't the Titans and Jets sign him?  Those 2 teams have a lot more money to spend than we do.  Looking at Poe's contract of ~$9 mil per year, who he's supposedly better than, why would the asking of $10-12 mil be scaring everyone off?  Are teams looking at a strong DT draft class this year?  Are teams looking at a player in a 3-4 that only plays 15% of the game and saying no way?  Do evalutators see a decline in his play?

Its pretty perplexing....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

I'm really confused by the Hankins market.  I mean if he is "all that" why didn't the Titans and Jets sign him?  Those 2 teams have a lot more money to spend than we do.  Looking at Poe's contract of ~$9 mil per year, who he's supposedly better than, why would the asking of $10-12 mil be scaring everyone off?  Are teams looking at a strong DT draft class this year?  Are teams looking at a player in a 3-4 that only plays 15% of the game and saying no way?  Do evalutators see a decline in his play?

I think its likely the multiyear contract thats the problem for teams. He supposedly wants a 3-4 year deal.

I get the crying over Fuller, but lets move on.  The deal for ASmith wouldn't have gotten done without him.  It's not like they offered us ASmith straight up and we said "why don't you take Fuller too, just for good measure!?".  Would be nice to keep the Fuller and McVay slurping in the Around the NFL thread.  They ain't here no more.  Just my two cents.

I expect us to sign Hankins any day.  I've been sending Bruce two "packages" a week for the past two months.  My brother own's a horse farm.  You're welcome.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

1 minute ago, dcdiscokid said:

I think its likely the multiyear contract thats the problem for teams. He supposedly wants a 3-4 year deal.

I think it's also the $ for basically a one dimensional player. Even though he's really good at stopping the run...he isn't much of a pass rusher since his 7 sack year...4 years ago. I'd still like to have him here though...but not at $10+ million per. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I expect us to sign Hankins any day.  I've been sending Bruce two "packages" a week for the past two months.  My brother own's a horse farm.  You're welcome.

Just reading this while looking at Peter Sellers just fits and cracks me up.  Appreciate it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Maybe next year ??‍♂️

I'd normally agree. As others at his position slowly sign with all the other teams he visited with, though...I have some small hope that this ends up like the Zach Brown and Pryor signings last year, in terms of the calendar. The fanbase was screaming for both and thinking they wouldn't happen, but we let both exhaust their markets and they came around to our offers. I've got a lot of beef with the way this FO does things but this is arguably the one area we've kinda nailed in recent years. Which makes our early overpayments of turds like Lavauo and the McG's so much more confusing. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, oraphus said:

Hankins will probably be available post draft.. the idea is to see how the draft plays out and if he is still around and skins did not draft NT, bring him in. hopefully 

If Hankins is still available post-draft, I think his stock goes down and maybe we can sign him at a lower offer.  Personally, I'd like to sign him for a multi-year and I can't figure out what cap voodoo Allen & company are conjuring regarding the one-year signing rumors. It's not like Hankins is old.

Another angle Allen might be playing is: saving his money to sign a left guard that is a victim of a post-draft cut and he knows this may cost him $5M-$7M.  Who knows? I certainly don't.

The reason why the NFL needs a minor league. You have a guy like Mailata who MAY develop into a player in a couple of years. But with the limited rosters you cant afford to even stash him on the practice squad. I guess you could pull a Joe Gibbs and have him pull a hamstring and end up on IR for 2 consecutive seasons?

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The reason why the NFL needs a minor league. You have a guy like Mailata who MAY develop into a player in a couple of years. But with the limited rosters you cant afford to even stash him on the practice squad. I guess you could pull a Joe Gibbs and have him pull a hamstring for 2 consecutive seasons?

Sounds good in theory but no way the owners would want to pay for all of that.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Sounds good in theory but no way the owners would want to pay for all of that.

I am actually surprised they havent done it yet. Minor league baseball is profitable. Smaller sized cities all over the country would love to have a home pro football team.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I am actually surprised they havent done it yet. Minor league baseball is profitable. Smaller sized cities all over the country would love to have a home pro football team.

It’s about the profit margin..running a team is expensive and minor league players wouldn’t generate enough to make it a reality..good idea on paper,just not good enough for the bank accounts!!