Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

1 minute ago, Dexter said:

We have speed and shiftiness in Chris Thompson.

Fat Rob is the guy Jay likes because he has great vision and he is quick and elusive in the hole.  His only issue is that he lacks power to finish runs and he can't catch out of the backfield.  Jordan Howard has all the skills Fat Rob has, plus the catching ability, power to finish runs and quite a bit more speed.

It looks like the Bear and Skins have two 4th round picks.  They don't have a 3rd round pick so I would assume they are seeking a 3rd.  But surrendering one of our 4th round picks and swapping our second 4th round pick with their second 4th round pick should get it done. 

Thompson isn’t as fast as everyone thinks. I’ve seen him get rundown several times. Plus, he’s not an every down back; plus he’s made of glass (I do like Thompson).

Fat Rob is what he is and is why he was a late round pick/FA (I can’t remember).

We need an every down back. I’d love to get Howard as long as we don’t give up the farm.

Fat Rob went undrafted didn't he?   I agree that CT has burst open then has been caught from behind.

It would be nice to have one back that could do it all and then complimentary ones for goaline and 3rd down.  We have the complimentary but not the one back.  Let's finally get one after finding a way to stop the run first.

When looking at the running game I just want something that is respected by the opponent. Right now the way I see our run game is that we are very specialized. If Thompson is in you go with a nickle look where he has to be accounted for as a receiver. If Fat Rob is in then you really just focus between the tackles. It gives the defense defined reads by the personal that's on the field. 

That's why I'm a big advocate of going RB early. Get someone who keeps the D off balance and have the other players compliment what that RB brings. 

On 4/3/2018 at 12:50 AM, goskins10 said:

You have a lot of this really wrong. Lets go year by year with each back:

2013 - Murray was 5th in the NFL in rushing in terms of yds/gm - however he only played 14 games and more importantly dallas was 24th in rushing. So less murray worse run game.

2014 - Murray was # 1 in yds/gm - he played all 16 - and dallas was #2.

2015 - McFadden was 13th - dallas was 9th

2016 - Elliott was #1 - dallas was #2

2017 - Elliott was #1 - dallas was 2nd - Elliott missed 6 gs so this is really the only year where youj can say the back didn't matter much.

Murrays whole problem has been health. He rushed for 5.5 yds/att in 2011 behind a bad dallas Oline. He was 7th in 2016 for TN. But he was injured some.

McFadden was pretty good in Oakland. He was mediocre with dallas behind that line - which is the reason they drafted Elliott. He has been injured the last 2 season. They needed a premier back to run behind that line.

I hear every year how the draft is deep in talent at RB. I hear every year - you get 2nd rd talent in the 4th rd. Outside a very few outliers - you will indeed get 4th rd talent in the 4th rd. There is a reason these guys fall.

I do not want them to take Guice at #13 as I believe you can trade back and he will be there in the late 1st. But we need a quality back. They have been trying this get a RB in the mid to late rds garbage for too long. Look at the RBs drafted after the 3rd rd. And don't bring up one of a handful and use that to says it easy - it's not easy. If there was any position you could wait till the middle of the draft it's Oline  unless you get the best one in the draft - see Scherrf.

Again, with few exceptions you can't get 4th rd talent in the 2nd rd. If they were all that close they would all be ranked together - in the 2nd rd and be drafted that way.

Just about all of this is wrong.  First off, you used yards per game to judge the value of running games, which everyone who watches sports knows is a trash stat.  A team can run the ball 50 times, and get 100 yards per game, and another team may run the ball 20 times, and get 95 yards per game, and your stat says the first team is better.  No, the real measure of a running  games effectiveness is yards per carry.

First, Dallas was 8th in YPC in 2013. 3rd in 2014. 5th in 2015. 3rd in 2016. 3rd in 2017.  

Now on to the players. Murrays whole problem was not health, as in NONE of the last 5 seasons did he miss more than 2 games to injury, which is pretty normal for a RB.  In his last 2 seasons in Dallas he averaged 4.9 ypc, and since, with almost 700 carries, hes averaged around 3.9.  Thats a large difference.

McFadden was NOT good in Oakland, he had 1 good season.  In his last 3 seasons in Oakland, on about 500 rushing attempts, he averaged 3.3 ypc.  All 3 years he was 3.3 or 3.4 ypc.  Thats terrible.  Then he goes to Dallas, and averages 4.6 ypc, 1.3 ypc than he has averaged for the past several seasons.

You SAY "I hear every year - you get 2nd rd talent in the 4th rd. Outside a very few outliers - you will indeed get 4th rd talent in the 4th rd. There is a reason these guys fall." but you provide zero evidence of this, and yet multiple times on this forum and this thread Ive posted the stats on how each year, out of the top 10 RBs, 7-8 of the top 10 are 3rd round picks or later.  Last year who were the two star backs of the draft?  Kareem Hunt and Alvin Kamara.   "There is a reason these guys fall." Do you know the REAL reason these guys fall?  Because very few teams draft a RB before the 3rd round.

In the past 4 years, how many backs who werent THE elite back(top 10 picks), but got drafted before the 3rd round have been great?  The answer is 0.  The only one between pick 10 and the 3rd round to even make a probowl was Melvin Gordon, of the "my best season is 3.9 ypc" Gordon. 

You also way overestimate how many RBs actually get drafted in the 2nd round.

9 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Just about all of this is wrong.  First off, you used yards per game to judge the value of running games, which everyone who watches sports knows is a trash stat.  A team can run the ball 50 times, and get 100 yards per game, and another team may run the ball 20 times, and get 95 yards per game, and your stat says the first team is better.  No, the real measure of a running  games effectiveness is yards per carry.

First, Dallas was 8th in YPC in 2013. 3rd in 2014. 5th in 2015. 3rd in 2016. 3rd in 2017.  

Now on to the players. Murrays whole problem was not health, as in NONE of the last 5 seasons did he miss more than 2 games to injury, which is pretty normal for a RB.  In his last 2 seasons in Dallas he averaged 4.9 ypc, and since, with almost 700 carries, hes averaged around 3.9.  Thats a large difference.

McFadden was NOT good in Oakland, he had 1 good season.  In his last 3 seasons in Oakland, on about 500 rushing attempts, he averaged 3.3 ypc.  All 3 years he was 3.3 or 3.4 ypc.  Thats terrible.  Then he goes to Dallas, and averages 4.6 ypc, 1.3 ypc than he has averaged for the past several seasons.

You SAY "I hear every year - you get 2nd rd talent in the 4th rd. Outside a very few outliers - you will indeed get 4th rd talent in the 4th rd. There is a reason these guys fall." but you provide zero evidence of this, and yet multiple times on this forum and this thread Ive posted the stats on how each year, out of the top 10 RBs, 7-8 of the top 10 are 3rd round picks or later.  Last year who were the two star backs of the draft?  Kareem Hunt and Alvin Kamara.   "There is a reason these guys fall." Do you know the REAL reason these guys fall?  Because very few teams draft a RB before the 3rd round.

In the past 4 years, how many backs who werent THE elite back(top 10 picks), but got drafted before the 3rd round have been great?  The answer is 0.  The only one between pick 10 and the 3rd round to even make a probowl was Melvin Gordon, of the "my best season is 3.9 ypc" Gordon. 

You also way overestimate how many RBs actually get drafted in the 2nd round.

Your original comment did not specify which stat you were using - it just said they were "ranked" etc. You should have been more precise. And please don't say everyone knows.....  Either state it or you leave it up to interpretation. Having said that a few long runs can skew the Y/C average as much as extra carries can skew yards per game. So it's no so cut and dry. That is why the NFL lists the teams that lead in rushing as yds/gm. Also, if they were so good at rushing, why would they not have more rushing yards? Why not rush more? I mean any back can get yards so why not just keep running them? 

Murray's problems were health in that he had a nagging hamstring and sprained ankles. He may have only officially been listed as out for injury that few times but those are injuries that slow RBs down but they try to play through (although I am not sure of that but not willing to look, not important enough to me.) Philly it's ahrd to tell. he clearly did not fit Kelly's system. In 2016 with TN he ran for almost 1300 yds at 4.4 y/c. Last yr that went down because he split time with a rookie. His career as a RB is probably getting close to coming to an end. He has reached that magic age of 30 where RBs really fall off in production. 

Your opinion on McFadden. I had him in fantasy those years and he was pretty decent when he was healthy and they let him run. In 2010 and 2011 he had 5.2 and 5.4 yds/carry. He struggled with injuries after. He had the one decent season at Dallas but even that was only 4.6 yds/carry. So the Oakland line was better than the Dallas line? Hmmm...  Might get a lot of push back on that one. 

I did not overestimate anything. If I did there would have been numbers of players drafted in each rd. My point was and still is - players drafted in the 2nd are not the same quality backs drafted in the 4th rd over time. They are not interchangeable which is what many fans like to state this time of year. Trying to make the case that why draft a RB in the 2nd when you can get the same guy in the 4th. That's just not true. I believe the issue has more been the quality of backs in the draft than just thinking you can get the same guy. I do not think there have been as many elite backs coming out. But that seems to be changing. This year you have 3, 4 maybe 5 guys that should go in the first 2 rds. It's been a while since that many talented RBs have come out. Barkley is clearly the #1 and should go top 5 to 7 in the draft if not #1 or #2. But I could see 4 other backs going in the first 64 picks. 

3 hours ago, Dexter said:

We have speed and shiftiness in Chris Thompson.

Fat Rob is the guy Jay likes because he has great vision and he is quick and elusive in the hole.  His only issue is that he lacks power to finish runs and he can't catch out of the backfield.  Jordan Howard has all the skills Fat Rob has, plus the catching ability, power to finish runs and quite a bit more speed.

I like the idea of getting Howard but I've never really seen this " great vision " from Rob Kelley

3 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Thompson isn’t as fast as everyone thinks. I’ve seen him get rundown several times. Plus, he’s not an every down back; plus he’s made of glass (I do like Thompson).

I noticed that too.  Happened enough times that it was eyebrow raising the way DBs closed on him.  

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:
Washington RedskinsVerified account @Redskins
FollowingFollowing @Redskins
More

TRADE: #Redskins acquire quarterback Kevin Hogan and a 2018 sixth-round pick (No. 205 overall) from the Cleveland Browns in exchange for a 2018 sixth-round pick (No. 188 overall): https://redsk.in/2qbZ4vD 

Could this mean we will release McCoy and save his 4m cap space for 2018. If yes put the extra money towards signing Hankins. 

HTTR 

1 minute ago, Mr.Will said:

Not familiar with him..what’s his track record(too lazy to look up so I’m looking for honest options instead-lol)

Hasn’t had too much playing time, but i remember him playing pretty well when kizer got hurt against the jets this season. Still lost but made impressive plays. 

Hogan is a decent QB with a positive upside but needs some time to excel. Struggled to play much in Cleveland but part of that was their HC. 

I dont mind him as a developmental guy... not sure I’m sold on him as a number 2. And when trading a sixth that likely means he’s replacing McCoy.

10 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Kevin Hogan, McLean native. I like It. 

Actual quote from a guy on FB: “keep giving up those draft picks”. Uh....except we SWAPPED 6th rounders. So we still have the same amount of picks we had before the trade ?? good lord. Do people just enjoy whining?? 

Nothing like those super important 6th round picks.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

I noticed that too.  Happened enough times that it was eyebrow raising the way DBs closed on him.  

Yeah, I think that injuries have stolen some of Thompson's speed. He's still fast, but he's no longer blazing.

Archived