DC9

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

At the conclusion of the pre-draft process, Howard was projected to be a second or third round pick by NFL draft experts and scouts. Howard was ranked as the third best running back in the draft by NFLDraftScout.com, the fourth best running back by Sports Illustrated, and was ranked the sixth best running back in the draft by NFL analyst Mike Mayock.

The Chicago Bears selected Howard in the fifth round (150th overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft.[21] He was the tenth running back taken in the draft.[22] On May 9, 2016, the Bears signed him to a four-year, $2.58 million contract with a signing bonus of $248,022.[23][24]

-----------------------------------------

edit - I moved my comments to the Draft thread bc it was way more draft specific.

I like the Skins dont overreach approach. Assuming Richardson is a decent No. 2 WR.  

Lets get big Phil's name in the thread title please. The man has earned at least that. 

Edited by Why am I Mr. Pink?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Darth Tater said:

Great runner in traffic but isn't really a long ball threat and a mediocre to bad receiver.

More runner than receiver, but all things being equal, I'd take him over Kelly or Perine any day.

34 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Lets get big Phil's name in the thread title please. The man has earned at least that. 

Yeah, I am really pulling for him. With all of the garbage that we pile up around here (Sua, MJones, TokeHard Jackson, the 2008 draft, Fat al,  ) the list of folks of low intelligence and questionable character goes on forever. This could be a good story amid all the swirling dervish that is this franchise. Let me be clear, I am not expecting much in terms of contribution, but if he can stay healthy and make the 53 that is something I can get excited for. I think Derrick Dockery had some cat sleeping on his couch who had been away from the game for a while and if I am remembering correctly, he was tipping the scales at 400 + pounds. Mike Williams i think ? I think he shed the weight and made the team maybe even contributed some. At any rate it was a good story and something to pull for . 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This should be interesting.  Full version is supposedly coming out later this month:

Jay: So Sean, who are you planning on signing this off season?

Sean:

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

6 minutes ago, tchrpe1 said:

Hankins visiting the Jets today. 

Jets Meeting With DT Johnathan Hankins Thursday http://bit.ly/2GzokXL

Expect him to sign with them. They will spend and have the money. Our NT will now come from the draft. May it be Vea in 1st or Settle in the 2nd round.

Edited by RWJ

2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I just noticed something...is Phil Taylor not good enough to be included in the thread title??? :P 

1 hour ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

4]

-----------------------------------------

@DC9

I’m gonna assume they were trying to say - “Thanks for all you do DC9!  Just a friendly reminder to add Taylor”. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Expect him to sign with them. They will spend and have the money. Our NT will now come from the draft. May it be Vea in 1st or Settle in the 2nd round.

If he signs for anything less than 8m per year Allen has got to resign instantaneously the useless *****

HTTR 

• Like 3

Why would we sign someone to fill our biggest weakness?  Very un-Redskin like.

Lost a QB - Trade for a QB

Lost 2 WR - sign 1 WR (Quick doesn't count as he was here last year but again i guess Pryor doesn't count for much since we benched him early)

Lost a TE - crickets (granted Paul was basically a ST'mer but those count too)

Lost 2 DB - sign 1

Lost OL - crickets

Lost OLB - sign 1

Not many true additions this offseason, moreso resigns and backfills. Which is fine if you just won the SB and of course lose players to bigger deals but we were terrible on D and haven't really improved, bad at the run game and haven't improved, STILL have a void at LG (sure they might like Kalis).  I consider the DBs perhaps as a wash if Fabian and Holsey can step up.

Just not too inspirational is all when it looks like (and we've heard from Cooley and others) that they seem content to stand pat and really like their team while others in playoffs last year are making grand moves to get better and realize success windows are short unless you have a HOF QB for 15seasons.

Just irks me is all.  I hope they have a great draft as they need starters not just depth and guys that come up in year 3.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I really think Reskins are going to draft Guice in the first, whether that be at 13 or later, but he is a 3 down back that would be a top 15 in any other draft.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, TheBlueIndian said:

Yeah, I am really pulling for him. With all of the garbage that we pile up around here (Sua, MJones, TokeHard Jackson, the 2008 draft, Fat al,  ) the list of folks of low intelligence and questionable character goes on forever. This could be a good story amid all the swirling dervish that is this franchise. Let me be clear, I am not expecting much in terms of contribution, but if he can stay healthy and make the 53 that is something I can get excited for. I think Derrick Dockery had some cat sleeping on his couch who had been away from the game for a while and if I am remembering correctly, he was tipping the scales at 400 + pounds. Mike Williams i think ? I think he shed the weight and made the team maybe even contributed some. At any rate it was a good story and something to pull for . 

But don't you want to sign players that are MORE likely to stay healthy and actually contribute while possibly helping this team win? 

I like the Taylor signing and hope he pans out.  On a different note, just discovered the ignore user feature and what a godsend!  It is awesome that they let you specify what to ignore also (something I haven't seen on other forums yet).

Edit: A negative nancy...boom...gone!  Love it!

Edited by owa
  • Haha 2

Makes me wonder if management also has their ignore list up, because at times they too seem tone deaf when it comes to the needs of the team. It reminds me of a segment Chad Dukes had on the radio the other day. A caller (or maybe it was an article/quote from a play by play guy), said that play by play guys are more positive and sports radio hosts are negative by nature. I practically laughed out loud when I heard the guy say that. 

Sports radio guys aren't negative, they just speak their feelings more and in the case of local media it's negative because it's the truth. Of course play by play guys are going to be more positive, they follow the company line and refuse to call it any other way. 

Anyways, it was a good segment because it was cool to hear the logic and acrobat some fans go through, to twist criticism of the Skins as "just being negative", when the reality is the team is at best mediocre and at worst bad. Fans who want to see this team win, just want smart decisions made that actually show up in the win/loss column.

1 hour ago, PortisBetts said:

I really think Reskins are going to draft Guice in the first, whether that be at 13 or later, but he is a 3 down back that would be a top 15 in any other draft.

That would be pretty stupid if they did that. If your OL is not shored up what is a 13th pick running back going to do? Jump over people. You can get a nice back in the 2nd or 3rd round instead. Need to get a DL at 13. Need to fix the lines. The rest will follow. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, dyst said:

it was cool to hear the logic and acrobat some fans go through, to twist criticism of the Skins as "just being negative", when the reality is the team is at best mediocre and at worst bad. Fans who want to see this team win, just want smart decisions made that actually show up in the win/loss column.

The team isn't at best mediocre. The team is mediocre.

" Fans who want the team to win " ?  As opposed to who ?  Fans who want to see the team lose ?                                                                        

I think what you're saying is the people who would fall into the " negative Nancy " category, want the team to win and they want smart decisions that lead to wins. Well, ... we all do. I think the negativity calls come from people who think the board sometimes looks more like fans of a team coming off three straight 4 - 12 seasons, instead of three .500 seasons.

Edited by Spearfeather
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zskins said:

That would be pretty stupid if they did that. If your OL is not shored up what is a 13th pick running back going to do? Jump over people. You can get a nice back in the 2nd or 3rd round instead. Need to get a DL at 13. Need to fix the lines. The rest will follow. 

The main issue I've seen in our running game is the inability to set the edge which allows defenses to either get in behind the running back too quickly or allows inside guys to show were they shouldn't. The biggest problem seems to be negative runs which given our backs is more an indictment of the blocking and play calling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zskins said:

I don't see how our OL is currently a disaster, some make it out to be.

Currently 4 out of 5 of our OL are either studs or above average.

Obviously our LG position is not, but even if our LG is average, or a little below average, it's still a very good OL.

I'm not saying we should not try to improve the position. Of course we should look for a really good LG. I'm just saying the overall OL is not a train wreck that some people describe it as.

I hate to read too much into this, but Jets fans were hoping Ealy re-signed with them.  The fact that the Jets and Ealy are moving on probably means a Hankins deal is incoming for the Jets.

2 hours ago, zskins said:

I think you’re right that a back alone is probably not going to ‘fix’ the run game.  However, better vision, better burst through the hole, better speed to outrun defenders in the secondary, etc could have a big impact.  Setting aside scheme, the biggest problems with the ground game are subpar backs, poor TE blocking and poor oline blocking.  Part of the oline problem (again, aside from scheme) stemmed from injury and part from talent - Lauvao, Long and Moses in particular.    As for the TEs, I’m hopeful we draft a well rounded one, and there’s a chance that Sprinkle makes a difference there.  Shoring up those areas only gets you so far with not very good play from the backs.  I still have hope for Perine, but the possibility of adding a stud shouldn’t be overlooked or mitigated IMO.  

35 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

The main issue I've seen in our running game is the inability to set the edge which allows defenses to either get in behind the running back too quickly or allows inside guys to show were they shouldn't. The biggest problem seems to be negative runs which given our backs is more an indictment of the blocking and play calling.

I think you bring up a great point - a lot of our runs were our backs trying to turn nothing into something.  However, we also saw a fair amount of carries where Kelley would run right at the safety and get tackled, or Perine would get to the second level and get tripped up from behind.  A better back turns those 8-15 yarders into 40+.  

8 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't see how our OL is currently a disaster, some make it out to be.

Currently 4 out of 5 of our OL are either studs or above average.

Obviously our LG position is not, but even if our LG is average, or a little below average, it's still a very good OL.

I'm not saying we should not try to improve the position. Of course we should look for a really good LG. I'm just saying the overall OL is not a train wreck that some people describe it as.

I agree for the most part.  I will say that I have high hopes for Roullier, but I also expect some strugglees there.  He could be helped with good guard play, but poor play from the LG spot could also hinder him.  

My bigger concern is that our scheme seems to leave guys disadvantaged, especially our TEs (who need all the help they can get).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I hate to read too much into this, but Jets fans were hoping Ealy re-signed with them.  The fact that the Jets and Ealy are moving on probably means a Hankins deal is incoming for the Jets.

Sadly, I believe so.  Just a matter of time.  Skins should have closed the deal with Hankins when he was in to visit!

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

I think you’re right that a back alone is probably not going to ‘fix’ the run game.  However, better vision, better burst through the hole, better speed to outrun defenders in the secondary, etc could have a big impact.  Setting aside scheme, the biggest problems with the ground game are subpar backs, poor TE blocking and poor oline blocking.  Part of the oline problem (again, aside from scheme) stemmed from injury and part from talent - Lauvao, Long and Moses in particular.    As for the TEs, I’m hopeful we draft a well rounded one, and there’s a chance that Sprinkle makes a difference there.  Shoring up those areas only gets you so far with not very good play from the backs.  I still have hope for Perine, but the possibility of adding a stud shouldn’t be overlooked or mitigated IMO.  

I think you bring up a great point - a lot of our runs were our backs trying to turn nothing into something.  However, we also saw a fair amount of carries where Kelley would run right at the safety and get tackled, or Perine would get to the second level and get tripped up from behind.  A better back turns those 8-15 yarders into 40+.  

I agree for the most part.  I will say that I have high hopes for Roullier, but I also expect some strugglees there.  He could be helped with good guard play, but poor play from the LG spot could also hinder him.  

My bigger concern is that our scheme seems to leave guys disadvantaged, especially our TEs (who need all the help they can get).  

True a great back might turn those 8-15 yarders into 40+ but it just should not be the top concern.  Of those backs who were multi-year 1000+ guys as a Redskin (looking at regular season totes only), Alfred Morris' only went 40+ once, Portis had only had 3 or 4, Davis had just 3, Allen just two, Byner had none, Rogers had 1, Riggins had 2 and Brown had 3. I guess we've never had a great back. By the way, Byner's best season saw his longest run being just 22 yards.

First, no negative plays and that is best created by a great OL, good blockers and multiple down field threats. There aren't too many opportunities for long runs unless you avoid those. Also, remember that some of the best runners did not create winners while some mediocre runners (like Brown, Riggins and Byner) were integral parts of SB teams   In any case, in the modern era, there have been only a handful of long runs that were not the product of great blocking and defensive mistakes.

I see so many people going Gaga for Darrius Guice.  Maybe it's just me but he doesn't really blow me away. Good? Yes. Great? I'm not so sure about. Personally, I'd much rather take Sony Michel! 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, zskins said:

I don't disagree about the DL, but i do about the OL.

Not to say its all set and needs no additions, but there are two top 5 picks and a 2nd rounder on that line, along with other homegrown talent. Those three high pedigree starters are also all soon to be on second contracts as well, two of them top money. 

In addition to that OL investment, we also dealt picks and gave a top contract to a win-now QB. We have a 1st round pick, talented 4th round pick, and big new FA signing at WR. We have an elite TE (though injury-prone) and a very good backup TE. 

For all intents and purposes, when it comes to premium picks and contracts the offense is set (or damn well should be!) aside from the RB position. 

Yes, the defense and DL in particular needs more help. But when do we stop making excuses for the lack of investment we've made in the RB position? We used to say "whats the point in investing in the RB position until we have a QB?" Then it was "what good does a RB do us until we have an OL to block for him and keep our QB off his ass" or "RB is the least valuable position, our QB needs receiving weapons". All those reasons have been true in the past but are no longer valid imo. We've invested enough premium resources and cap space into the OL, QB, and WR position groups. Regardless of what we do on defense its time to get a damn difference maker at RB.

This FO either put us in a win-now window with the QB trade, or they're wasting a lot of money and a lot of our time. I think it probably ends up being the latter, when we look back on this season, but they obviously don't. We need a damn running game and I think we're out of excuses and reasons not to invest in the position if the right guy is on the board and an obviously higher impact defender isn't there. I don't trust the jokers in our FO to find the next mid-round RB gem like Hunt or Howard, if that guy even ends up existing in this class, do you? That's also why I'd be cool trading anything less than a 3rd for a good, youngish starting RB like Howard, if that opportunity actually exists. 

All that to say that in general I agree 1st round picks usually shouldn't be spent on RBs, but that I'm not against a Guice pick this year. I think he's the clear and obvious #2 RB this year and I'd rather take him a bit too high than gamble that Penny, Chubb, Michel, Jones, Johnson, etc. are the real deal later. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1