DC9

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, DC9 said:

 

Yeah I covered that in my initial response to him.  It was over 60% of the snaps the defense was in nickel.

 

I am sorry but I don't see where you covered the primary point I was making. If our nickel was a 50 nickel, you could argue for a NT. Was it in another post?

Edited by Darth Tater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Agreed.  It'll be interesting to see what we do at 13.  Unfortunately, I got a feeling we'll be chasing a signal caller.

 

It's gonna suck letting Kirk walk.  I'd much rather draft a stud ILB.  Hell, I'd even be okay with trying to get another playmaker on offense.  

 

If we let KC go, and still go bargain basement shopping in FA...I'm gonna snap. :)

I am getting more and more certain that KC will walk.  When I am as certain as I can be before he actually does...well, then you can be pretty sure he'll stay:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

I am sorry but I don't see where you covered the primary point I was making. If our nickel was a 50 nickel, you could argue for a NT. Was it in another post?

 

I never covered what kind of nickel we run... but I said it was a 4 man rotation for the interior and that we were in nickel over 60% of the snaps last year.

 

It's not that serious, brother.  Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DC9 said:

 

I never covered what kind of nickel we run... but I said it was a 4 man rotation for the interior and that we were in nickel over 60% of the snaps last year.

 

It's not that serious, brother.  Cheers.

Actually, I should have either put a' by the way' between my statement and my question since the two parts don't really relate.  I wanted to be sure because if we play 40, we are NOT going NT in the top of the draft.  In fact, from what I've heard. I would not be surprised if we did nothing at NT (at least specifically).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Actually, I should have either put a' by the way' between my statement and my question since the two parts don't really relate.  I wanted to be sure because if we play 40, we are NOT going NT in the top of the draft.  In fact, from what I've heard. I would not be surprised if we did nothing at NT (at least specifically).

 

Wouldn't hurt to get another DL, it rarely does.  Especially a dude like Payne.  That is a NASTY rotation.  But it's a rotation.

 

I think to get this defense to the next level coverage in the middle is essential.  I'm not sure that is available in FA, unfortunately. 

 

FA this year might be for a weapon or two on offense and some depth.  I don't think it'll be very sexy at all.  Even if we don't get KC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, DC9 said:

 

That's worrisome.  I wonder what we'd have to give up for him.

 

The Bengals have got the whole McCarron situation to resolve, not sure what gives there. I mean what, Dalton is essentially left on a 3 year 50mil deal. No idea what he costs in a trade, couple of picks, 2 and 3 maybe. Who knows. 

 

Depends what we can get back for Cousins, if anything, before judging if it's a decent outcome overall. 

 

Sure Gruden thinks he could win with Dalton though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

 

The Bengals have got the whole McCarron situation to resolve, not sure what gives there. I mean what, Dalton is essentially left on a 3 year 50mil deal. No idea what he costs in a trade, couple of picks, 2 and 3 maybe. Who knows. 

 

Depends what we can get back for Cousins, if anything, before judging if it's a decent outcome overall. 

 

Sure Gruden thinks he could win with Dalton though.

 

I know he can win with Dalton.  I'm just not sure it's smart to give up a 2 and a 3 when we have so many holes. 

 

That is a very friendly contract, though.  The GM Posse will have to pull some voodoo in FA or hit on everything to make that work for us on the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know they say defenses win championships but I wonder if we should change that to defensive lines win championships, we'll see after this Sunday.

 

Would be nice to grab Logan and another D lineman with our 1st rounder, how could that not have a huge impact on our team next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I know they say defenses win championships but I wonder if we should change that to defensive lines win championships, we'll see after this Sunday.

 

Would be nice to grab Logan and another D lineman with our 1st rounder, how could that not have a huge impact on our team next year.

 

You could argue the D-line was the difference in 3 wins... Chiefs, Saints, Vikings, all games we could have won with a stop.  If we're 9-6 going into the game vs the Giants to end the season does it go different?  Who knows. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Logan is in a one-year deal right? Or just a plain FA? Logan + Brown + Allen Robinson would be juicy. Then it just comes down to whether we have Cousins or not. I think you struggle to sign those 3 ^ + Cousins but who knows. Without Cousins you’ve got like $52 million in cap space. 

 

Maybe throw in Teddy Bridgewater for $6-7 million without Cousins and then turn to the draft 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Logan is in a one-year deal right? Or just a plain FA? Logan + Brown + Allen Robinson would be juicy. Then it just comes down to whether we have Cousins or not. I think you struggle to sign those 3 ^ + Cousins but who knows. Without Cousins you’ve got like $52 million in cap space. 

 

Maybe throw in Teddy Bridgewater for $6-7 million without Cousins and then turn to the draft 

Sounds like a great plan to me IF we don't sign KC but the mills for Bridgewater (if available) will have to be in the double figure range, I'm thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Sounds like a great plan to me IF we don't sign KC but the mills for Bridgewater (if available) will have to be in the double figure range, I'm thinking.

True. But $10-12 million for Bridgewater is peanuts compared to what Cousins would get. And I think having Bridgewater to pair with Colt to compete for starter clears the QB picture up a bit and gives more flexibility in the draft. You could go developmental 2-3 year type v. An immediate year 1-2 type QB. 

Personally I think Teddy has a ton of potential still and he’s be my preferred target if we lose Cousins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

True. But $10-12 million for Bridgewater is peanuts compared to what Cousins would get. And I think having Bridgewater to pair with Colt to compete for starter clears the QB picture up a bit and gives more flexibility in the draft. You could go developmental 2-3 year type v. An immediate year 1-2 type QB. 

Personally I think Teddy has a ton of potential still and he’s be my preferred target if we lose Cousins. 

Now, if Skins are able to land Bridgewater on say a 3 year deal I still think you have to look for a young QB to be groomed and a good place to pick that QB would be in the 2nd.  If possible, I'd like to see a trade down with our #13 pick up a later 1st round along with getting a 2nd round pick and use our 2nd on Richmond's Lauletta.  I think he's the real deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RWJ said:

Now, if Skins are able to land Bridgewater on say a 3 year deal I still think you have to look for a young QB to be groomed and a good place to pick that QB would be in the 2nd.  If possible, I'd like to see a trade down with our #13 pick up a later 1st round along with getting a 2nd round pick and use our 2nd on Richmond's Lauletta.  I think he's the real deal.

I'd be happy with that scenario - not sure our FO will bite on that kind of approach though. Makes too much sense which is why I don't think Bruce would go for it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Logan is in a one-year deal right? Or just a plain FA? Logan + Brown + Allen Robinson would be juicy. Then it just comes down to whether we have Cousins or not. I think you struggle to sign those 3 ^ + Cousins but who knows. Without Cousins you’ve got like $52 million in cap space. 

 

Maybe throw in Teddy Bridgewater for $6-7 million without Cousins and then turn to the draft 

Great post, but no more than 7m per year for Brown. 

 

HTTR 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After watching a championship with two back up QBS and two bad ass defenses, I really hope we continue to invest in that, instead of resigning Kirk. Brown should become a lifer for us. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It kind of boggles my mind that folks want to invest 10M a year in an ILB that can't do it all. 

 

Perhaps this is how the fence riders in regards to Kirk feel too.  I absolutely want to keep Zach Brown but not at anywhere close to 10M a season.  The only difference for me is the supply and demand market for ILB's is much easier to make up ground on than the QB market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

After watching a championship with two back up QBS and two bad ass defenses, I really hope we continue to invest in that, instead of resigning Kirk. Brown should become a lifer for us. 

 

Foles has played like a franchise QB in the playoffs -- that helps.  But playing along with this what combination of free agents do you think with that 25 million dollars will create the badass defense?

 

Better yet, will Bruce change his bargain shopping approach to FA?  I agree with what Sheehan-Cooley said the other day which is questioning whether they have the method to the madness down to even go for the kill in FA.   In short, they doubted this FO knows how to use FA to build the badass defense.  it's not as if they haven't tried the JAG at QB and build around him approach before.

 

From what I've read the Cowboys likely franchise Lawrence if they can't sign him.  So wonder who are the Calais Campbell's out there this time?  i like Jay but those comments about hey no Campbell but we got ourselves two guys instead -- made me cringe. 

 

They've had some good FA signings over the years.  But on the aggregate whether its been Shanny, Scot, Bruce -- its been a lot of mediocrity in FA.  If that's going to change IMO they have to take more chances.    It's cool that they get these bargains and contracts they can get out of.   But enough of the McGees, McClains, Andre Roberts, Quinn, J. Johnson, types. 

 

If we want to model Jax, go for the kill.  If they take the Kirk money and use the same old approach, its not going to work IMO.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again the support for Brown and a ton of money is baffling to me. He cannot cover. At all. That is why his value last season simply was not there. You don't throw the brinks truck at the guy just because he a fan favorite. He has a massive flaw in his game and its very noticeable. 6 million tops. We should steer clear of Logan also. The wheels literally came off of him last year. He is trending downward and for a 8 million dollar or so investment he is not worth it. Richardson and Poe are out there if you want someone on the line. Forget about Logan. D-Lineman with bad knees close to being 30 is not a good investment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They've had some good FA signings over the years.  But on the aggregate whether its been Shanny, Scot, Bruce -- its been a lot of mediocrity in FA.  If that's going to change IMO they have to take more chances.    It's cool that they get these bargains and contracts they can get out of.   But enough of the McGees, McClains, Andre Roberts, Quinn, J. Johnson, types. 

 

If we want to model Jax, go for the kill.  If they take the Kirk money and use the same old approach, its not going to work IMO.

 

I think  the problem is when they do go for the kill, they get burned. How many times do you think they keep putting their hand in the fire? Terrelle Pryor for example. I'm not saying they're right, and in fact I totally agree with you that they should take more chances, but I'm not entirely convinced they know which direction to point the gun when they go for the kill. They're at least as likely to shoot themselves in the foot as they are to bag a trophy player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UKskins said:

 

I think  the problem is when they do go for the kill, they get burned. How many times do you think they keep putting their hand in the fire? Terrelle Pryor for example. I'm not saying they're right, and in fact I totally agree with you that they should take more chances, but I'm not entirely convinced they know which direction to point the gun when they go for the kill. They're at least as likely to shoot themselves in the foot as they are to bag a trophy player.

 

Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, Kendal Reyes, Jeron Johnson, Brain Quick, Chris Carter, Greg Toler, Terance Garvin, Duke Ihenacho, Brandon Merriweather, Andre Roberts, Ryan Clark.  On and on and on.  Shopping at Wallmart for FAs.  They aren't all cheap but they weren't marquee players.

 

When they get out of Wallmart:  Pierre Garcon, Josh Norman, Desean Jackson. 

 

For their medium level shopping -- some worked, some not:  Swearinger, Z. Brown good.  Culliver, Paea, Pryor = bad.

 

Jacksonville has been swinging more for the fences in FA.  I know Haynesworth among others haven't panned out.  But no guts no glory.  If they have an extra 25 million to spend -- I don't want to hear variations of we could have had Landry or  Allen Robinson but we decided heck we can get instead both:  Mike Wallace and Eric Decker! 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Allen Robinson, unfortunately, won't be leaving Jacksonville. I think it's important to add a playmaker at that position. Doctson may develop into what a lot of fans think he can become, but he didn't show me much. With our OL, Reed/Davis, Crowder/Dox, adding 1 more receiving threat will do wonders for whoever is QB'ing. Add Paul Richardson, then focus on defense in the draft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

Foles has played like a franchise QB in the playoffs -- that helps.  But playing along with this what combination of free agents do you think with that 25 million dollars will create the badass defense?

 

Better yet, will Bruce change his bargain shopping approach to FA?  I agree with what Sheehan-Cooley said the other day which is questioning whether they have the method to the madness down to even go for the kill in FA.   In short, they doubted this FO knows how to use FA to build the badass defense.  it's not as if they haven't tried the JAG at QB and build around him approach before.

 

From what I've read the Cowboys likely franchise Lawrence if they can't sign him.  So wonder who are the Calais Campbell's out there this time?  i like Jay but those comments about hey no Campbell but we got ourselves two guys instead -- made me cringe. 

 

They've had some good FA signings over the years.  But on the aggregate whether its been Shanny, Scot, Bruce -- its been a lot of mediocrity in FA.  If that's going to change IMO they have to take more chances.    It's cool that they get these bargains and contracts they can get out of.   But enough of the McGees, McClains, Andre Roberts, Quinn, J. Johnson, types. 

 

If we want to model Jax, go for the kill.  If they take the Kirk money and use the same old approach, its not going to work IMO.

Yeah, they got my top FA last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.