Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

McVay was in Cousins ear every day, and that didn't get him over the hump

Ya don’t think it was a contributing factor??..look at how the offense changed when Jay promoted Mcvay to calling the O..didn’t win any SB’s but it was obvious nonetheless for the better..and keep in mind that it was his first “big boy” position at that time-it made a big enough impression to the ppl who mattered(the ones with the wallets)that he was that good(at the age of 31!!)..as he gains experience,that guy is gonna be,always at the top of the pack!!..I’m not calling him some kind of Marta or anything,just pointing out that the kids damn good at what he does at the age he is and the Rams are lucky to have him!!

1 minute ago, Mr.Will said:

Ya don’t think it was a contributing factor??..look at how the offense changed when Jay promoted Mcvay to calling the O..didn’t win any SB’s but it was obvious nonetheless for the better..and keep in mind that it was his first “big boy” position at that time-it made a big enough impression to the ppl who mattered(the ones with the wallets)that he was that good(at the age of 31!!)..as he gains experience,that guy is gonna be,always at the top of the pack!!..I’m not calling him some kind of Marta or anything,just pointing out that the kids damn good at what he does at the age he is and the Rams are lucky to have him!!

I wasn't taking anything away from McVay, or his talents, I'm just sayin it may not be enough to make Goff a championship QB.

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I wasn't taking anything away from McVay, or his talents, I'm just sayin it may not be enough to make Goff a championship QB.

Yeah,I’m on the fence with him as well..but I like his chances better with who’s coaching him..I’m curious to see how this year plays out for him and which direction he goes!

Another thing that will challenge the Rams is they have the 5th toughest schedule.

Speaking of which, something odd about the 2018 schedule, is the Giants have one of the toughest in the league at #8, and they also have THE toughest schedule of anyone in the NFCE, and it's by a longshot. We have the 2nd toughest in the division, and it's 6 slots below the Giants. Strange how that works.

Then again, "strength of schedule" changes dramatically during the year, because at some point during 2018, it will no longer be based on 2017 records, but we will start viewing it based on 2018 records by the end of the season. And of course, it will be a whole different story.

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

why don’t you break it down in games 1-5, then games 6-10, and games 11-15 like I did where it shows yes the best part of the rushing defense was in weeks 1-5 by like a hundred something yards not by that much. Then you will see what the deal is here and that’s this team desperately needs rush stoppers and ignoring it like they have done so far isn’t going to help or fix anything. 

They went into the offseason with one huge issue on Defense (stopping the rusher) and they have done nothing yet again to change that. Same as last season. I am not celebrating that.

Just my opinion 

Football is a game of inches. So yeah, when you don't have your best linemem hurt then your defense plays better and is better against the run. As you say average yards is a meaningless stat, tackles for the Jonathan Allen is also a meaningless stat.

The facts are that before we had injuries the only 100 yard back was Kareem Hunt and he only barely. He was tearing up defenses but we did well with him in the passing game and 100 yards rushing isn't awful. 60ish of the rushing yards were from Smith scrambling.

And then when they are hurt you aren't filling holes as well and you aren't as good against the run. Facts. :P

Alao, we did address the DL with McPhee who is good against the run, that's more his thing than rushing the passer. And there is still the draft to address it more.

You can dismiss stats all you want, not sure how you can just dismiss injuries. 

16 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Another thing that will challenge the Rams is they have the 5th toughest schedule.

Speaking of which, something odd about the 2018 schedule, is the Giants have one of the toughest in the league at #8, and they also have THE toughest schedule of anyone in the NFCE, and it's by a longshot. We have the 2nd toughest in the division, and it's 6 slots below the Giants. Strange how that works.

Then again, "strength of schedule" changes dramatically during the year, because at some point during 2018, it will no longer be based on 2017 records, but we will start viewing it based on 2018 records by the end of the season. And of course, it will be a whole different story.

people say that everyone in a division plays the same schedule except two games, when in reality it's four games, a full quarter of the season

2 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Agree on Brandon but haven’t seen nearly enough to feel confident about Crowder resigning yet. Receivers are making bank these days and he’s not worth 10+ per year. Still has a lot to show

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/03/giants-arent-shopping-odell-beckham-jr?fv-home=true&post-id=101945

The Rams are legit this year without him. That Defense is nasty

Teams like the Rams  have to prove it on the field not just look good on paper. Have seen it over and over again where these all-star teams just don’t work out because of chemistry, injury,or players getting paid and losing their edge.So many things can go wrong. It’s kind of like looking at a schedule before the season starts and saying how tough or how easy it’s going to be,can’t do it. I remember a few years back when the Eagles assembled this great roster and people  were so sure they would make a Super Bowl run, never came close.

6 hours ago, dyst said:

I still have faith that Suh will be a Redskin (when he is 35 years old or so and on a major decline).

There is no guarantee that Suh and Donald will work out but its a smart move for the Rams. This is how you use free agency. You sign dominate players still in their prime. 

Much better than signing mediocre players.

Do it while you don’t have to pay a QB silly money. 

McPhee is an overall better player and leader than Galette.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/free-agent-profile-pernell-mcphee?utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=cjaff

McPhee was a fifth round pick for the Baltimore Ravens out of Mississippi State in 2011. At 6-foot-3 and 280 pounds he could have potentially filled the role of a situational inside pass rusher or bulked up to play 3-4 end. He ended up providing them with a balance of both roles. He played with his hand on the ground for most of his first two years, lining up at end and tackle in 4-3 looks and also lining up as an end in 3-4 looks. He finished his rookie year with a +20.8 overall grade including a +20.5 pass rushing mark. McPhee also led all interior lineman with a 9.2 Pass Rush Productivity rating.

Injuries cut right through the middle of his second year in 2012 (causing him to miss Weeks 8-12) but he still ended up ranked 10th among 3-4 ends in Pass Rush Productivitywith a 6.5 rating. He was able to regain his form in time to give the Ravens a positive boost in the playoffs — grading at +4.0 total for the last three games of the Ravens championship run.

2013 was a transitional year for McPhee with the Ravens trying to maximize his athleticism and moving him outside on some snaps into a traditional 3-4 outside linebacker role. He only played 313 snaps but held his own with a +4.3 overall grade, including a +1.9 mark in run defense and +1.6 rushing the passer.

This past season was McPhee’s breakout year, a year in which he was able to rank second out of all 3-4 outside linebackers with a +26.0 overall grade (and +28.4 including the playoffs), even though his 540 total snaps were half as many as some of his counterparts. His pass rushing grade of +23.1 ranked him third behind only Justin Houston and teammate Elvis Dumervil, and he managed a solid +3.2 grade against the run.

2015-FA-profile-inset-mcphee

Our signature stats show his 14.4 Pass Rushing Productivity rating ranking second overall and his 64 total pressures third. When rushing off the right side of the formation his 18.1 PRP topped all 3-4 outside linebackers. The next closest mark from the right side was 13.4. This is even more impressive due to the fact that teams have their best pass blockers on the left side. To put this into perspective, we can compare McPhee’s numbers rushing from the right side to teammate Terrell Suggs. Suggs finished 11th rushing from the right side with a 9.2 PRP. Suggs generated 46 total pressures from the right compared to 44 for McPhee. The difference is, Suggs needed 405 rush snaps compared to only 188 for McPhee.

McPhee had great success rushing from the outside, but that did not slow down his ability to create havoc from all other areas on the interior. Out of his 372 total pass rushes only 75 came strictly from the 3-4 OLB position and 120 of his pass rushes came from different linebacker positions. These rushes generated 22 total pressures, good for a 19.7% pressure percentage. 115 of his rushes came as either a LE or RE with his hand on the ground. He generated 16 total pressures on these rushes, giving him a 13.9% pressure percentage. Teams covet players that can generate pressure of the edge but it can be even more difficult to find a player that can consistently generate inside pressure.

These clips below highlight some of his talents. They show his ability to be effective as an inside rusher and to get the edge as an outside rusher.

Indy inside NO edge

Pernell McPhee is young and just hitting his prime. He not only provides value as an edge rusher but can also do damage from inside. He could fit with either a 4-3 scheme or a 3-4 scheme. The best fit for him would be with a team that embraces his versatility (like the Ravens did) and that shows the willingness and creativity to move him around and maximize his pass rushing ability. Expect McPhee to garner plenty of interest if he hits the open market.

http://m.redskins.com/s/30856/376?itemUri=1963368202/14118146213011041176124201

"I think I can bring a lot, because just being in Baltimore under some of the great players and also being under the [Chicago Bears'] defensive coordinator, Vic Fangio, I know a lot from the game, I took a lot from them, I soaked a lot in. Football-wise…I think I'll really help them play fast. I'm going to catch on to the system early and going out, me personally causing havoc, staying in the backfield, making the offense game plan for me.

"And leadership-wise too I think that's very important, I think I can help lead the team to a place they weren't at last year."

7 hours ago, dyst said:

Rams biggest question mark is still the QB. Had a good year but still not 100% sure on him as he is unproven but yep, could be scary.

What a position to be in. Minnesota just signed Cousins to a record contract to be their answer, meanwhile a better QB is the biggest question mark in LA. Another unpopular opinion on this board im certain, but I'd take Goff over Kirk for this season. I thought Goff would be better than Kirk last season, its difficult to say who was better in 2017, but its not tough to envy a team whose biggest question mark is Goff with McVay. 

6 hours ago, Tarpon75 said:

Teams like the Rams  have to prove it on the field not just look good on paper. Have seen it over and over again where these all-star teams just don’t work out because of chemistry, injury,or players getting paid and losing their edge.So many things can go wrong. It’s kind of like looking at a schedule before the season starts and saying how tough or how easy it’s going to be,can’t do it. I remember a few years back when the Eagles assembled this great roster and people  were so sure they would make a Super Bowl run, never came close.

How many of those teams hosted a playoff game the year prior? 

Philly was aggressive recently & it worked out decently, so were the Pats. Denver also won being aggressive in FA. Its not always a failure, its just a failure when Washington does it. 

Jay quoting Dumb and Dumber?

Gruden on Hankins: “you could say there’s a chance. There’s always a chance.” Didn’t sound optimistic.

1. More

Asked about possibility of still adding FA Johnathan Hankins, Jay Gruden said, “There’s still a chance. (Smiles) Why wouldn’t there be a chance?” Adds, #Redskins could still add some pieces

2. Jay Gruden says that the team is adding state of the art recovery tech to the facility on the heels of last year’s injury disaster.

7 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Football is a game of inches. So yeah, when you don't have your best linemem hurt then your defense plays better and is better against the run. As you say average yards is a meaningless stat, tackles for the Jonathan Allen is also a meaningless stat.

The facts are that before we had injuries the only 100 yard back was Kareem Hunt and he only barely. He was tearing up defenses but we did well with him in the passing game and 100 yards rushing isn't awful. 60ish of the rushing yards were from Smith scrambling.

And then when they are hurt you aren't filling holes as well and you aren't as good against the run. Facts. :P

Alao, we did address the DL with McPhee who is good against the run, that's more his thing than rushing the passer. And there is still the draft to address it more.

You can dismiss stats all you want, not sure how you can just dismiss injuries. 

Injuries are a built in excuse for failing. Every team gets injured but not every team has the depth to move forward with the injuries. The Eagles lost it’s starting QB and other starters and because they are run well as a team went on and won the Super Bowl. The difference is how the teams are built. We aren’t built right or managed well so one injury and it’s over.

I like Allen but his ten tackles and one sack in four games isn’t enough to fix the rushing defense, when he was in they played slightly better but had he played the entire season I don’t believe the rushing defense wouldn’t have been much better then they were last year. Expecting him to be enough is buying into the Gatorade I won’t drink. It’s also way too small of a sample size to make anything of. Had they done that in Nov-Dec when offenses are forced to run more it would mean more. It’s too small of a sample for me, 4 games mean nothing especially in the heat of the weather NFL season

Check the trends, since Jay got here the teams been terrible at rushing the ball and stopping the other guys rushing the ball. It’s time that they fixed this and to me lip service of bringing in guys for media headlines and not signing anyone only shows Bruce doesn’t get it. Now they are heading to the draft where 42% of all DL drafted in the first round in history bust out and we are hoping they draft someone to fix this. Instead of paying a 25 year old stud like Hankins Bruce is believing this is the way to go. It’s not and we don’t even know if they even draft anyone to fix this. They haven’t drafted a NT since a seventh round pick in 2011. It’s just ignoring the biggest hole in the roster yet again and thinking the fans are too stupid to know any better to me. It’s just my opinion on the matter after seeing the way Bruce manages this team and it’s issues over the past decade. 

46 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Instead of paying a 25 year old stud like Hankins Bruce is believing this is the way to go. It’s not and we don’t even know if they even draft anyone to fix this. They haven’t drafted a NT since a seventh round pick in 2011. It’s just ignoring the biggest hole in the roster yet again and thinking the fans are too stupid to know any better to me. It’s just my opinion on the matter after seeing the way Bruce manages this team and it’s issues over the past decade. 

It's taken a while, but we finally agree on something.  Their handling of the Dline is damn near malpractice.  I'd actually feel better about it if they threw caution into the wind for once and went gangbusters here just to show they actually do acknowledge how big of a problem it actually is.

32 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Injuries are a built in excuse for failing. Every team gets injured but not every team has the depth to move forward with the injuries. The Eagles lost it’s starting QB and other starters and because they are run well as a team went on and won the Super Bowl. The difference is how the teams are built. We aren’t built right or managed well so one injury and it’s over.

Yeah but it is not one injury is it though ?  - We were not derailed by a single injury in 2017. Saying that is very ignorant - as is saying injuries are an inbuilt excuse for failing. - I can understand that if you were talking about one injury and done (think Payton Manning in Indy - or Arron Rodgers in GB) but when injuries are biting as hard as they did in 2017 - how exactly do you prepare for that? When you are litterally running out of warm bodies at several positions to the extenct that you cannot run practices. 

I think it is a good move that they are doing something to help out the training staff - But why was it not done earlier ? 

8 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I just heard Reed won't be ready for OTA's, what the hell is wrong now?

Talented player as we all know, JSS but I was disappointed when Allen signed him to a LTD.  It was known about his multiple concussions and as I have stated many times on this and other forums I think we'd be fortunate to get a 1/2 a season out of him at this point closer to a 1/3.  At some point we will need to release him.  We should have extended KC before Reed.  A HUGE mistake made by the FO when we signed Reed long term, IMO.  

58 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

I like Allen but his ten tackles and one sack in four games isn’t enough to fix the rushing defense, when he was in they played slightly better but had he played the entire season I don’t believe the rushing defense wouldn’t have been much better then they were last year. Expecting him to be enough is buying into the Gatorade I won’t drink. It’s also way too small of a sample size to make anything of. Had they done that in Nov-Dec when offenses are forced to run more it would mean more. It’s too small of a sample for me, 4 games mean nothing especially in the heat of the weather NFL season

Check the trends, since Jay got here the teams been terrible at rushing the ball and stopping the other guys rushing the ball. It’s time that they fixed this and to me lip service of bringing in guys for media headlines and not signing anyone only shows Bruce doesn’t get it. Now they are heading to the draft where 42% of all DL drafted in the first round in history bust out and we are hoping they draft someone to fix this. Instead of paying a 25 year old stud like Hankins Bruce is believing this is the way to go. It’s not and we don’t even know if they even draft anyone to fix this. They haven’t drafted a NT since a seventh round pick in 2011. It’s just ignoring the biggest hole in the roster yet again and thinking the fans are too stupid to know any better to me. It’s just my opinion on the matter after seeing the way Bruce manages this team and it’s issues over the past decade. 

Im all for Hankins, really really want to add him to the DL. Cant argue with rushing the ball that needs to be fixed, I lean towards the bigger issue with the running game is a lack of a good RB.

Again, Allens tackle numbers dont mean much. If he is disrupting, filling holes, taking on multiple guys, and forcing the RB somewhere else or into other defenders thats a huge help to the rushing defense. I dont expect just him to be enough, but him back healthy, Iiondiassadasdas back healthy, etc will help a lot. If we dont sign Hankins we still need to add a young defensive lineman. Just because there is a chance of a bust doesnt mean we shouldnt draft DL, thats just what the draft is. Heck, I would be thrilled if they signed Hankins and then still drafted DL in the first 2 rounds.

And sure, all teams get hit by some injuries, but no team has been hit by injuries more than us. If we lost a couple guys like most teams we would have been find and we would have made the playoffs in my mind. But we lost starters, then their backups, then their backups. It was ridiculous. I think a bigger issue is our training staff as no team has been hit by more injuries than the Redskins while under Jay Gruden. One year is pretty fluky, but repeatedly to me says the training staff isnt good enough.

19 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

Yeah but it is not one injury is it though ?  - We were not derailed by a single injury in 2017. Saying that is very ignorant - as is saying injuries are an inbuilt excuse for failing. - I can understand that if you were talking about one injury and done (think Payton Manning in Indy - or Arron Rodgers in GB) but when injuries are biting as hard as they did in 2017 - how exactly do you prepare for that? When you are litterally running out of warm bodies at several positions to the extenct that you cannot run practices. 

I think it is a good move that they are doing something to help out the training staff - But why was it not done earlier ? 

Maybe new training staff. This last year was brutal, but even the year before that we had the most games lost due to injury of any team. Training STAFF needs a revamp.

Archived