Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

According to the pages of Colts fans in their Hankins thread, he was an absolute stud and undoubtably their most stand-out performer on defense... Pay him the damn money.

Hankins was on the field for about 64% of their defensive snaps (by far the most of any DL on Colts team, and our closest guy was Iadonnis with 53%)

Hankins is easily worth 9-10 million a year- let’s stop playing this damn reindeer games already!

2 minutes ago, Skins-in-CT said:

Sorry, should of been more clear. 

Murphy never used PEDs knowingly. According to him, it was something he couldnt even pronounce in the supplements he was taking. Normally I wouldn't take a players word for it, but Trent has never been reported of dosing before. So, Im willing to believe him. 

Still doesn't change that Junior was never talking about Trent

"The 6-foot-5, 290-pound Murphy explained that his suspension stemmed from the use of what he believes was a tainted supplement. Murphy said he couldn’t even pronounce the name of the banned substance that was found in his system, but he got rid of all of his supplements and has since switched to a brand that is more closely monitored"

7 minutes ago, LaRonDontLikeUgly said:

According to the pages of Colts fans in their Hankins thread, he was an absolute stud and undoubtably their most stand-out performer on defense... Pay him the damn money.

Hankins was on the field for about 64% of their defensive snaps (by far the most of any DL on Colts team, and our closest guy was Iadonnis with 53%)

Hankins is easily worth 9-10 million a year- let’s stop playing this damn reindeer games already!

I think the issue lies in if Hankins is worth 9 million to the front office with Ionnadis and Lanier taking such huge steps in a year. 

The defensive line was impressive till after Chiefs game. When the abnormal amount of inuries happened it started to fail. 

If its me, I would rather draft a DT and let Tomsula coach him up. 

You have Sherff, Crowder, and Smith deals coming up. If Ionnadis has a strong year, you may want to re-sign him early. 

If the going price for a good DLineman is 9-10mil a year. In 3 years, we could have 3 DLineman on the roster taking up 40% of the defensive cap. 

6 minutes ago, William Barbour said:

Murphy never used PEDs knowingly. According to him, it was something he couldnt even pronounce in the supplements he was taking. Normally I wouldn't take a players word for it, but Trent has never been reported of dosing before. So, Im willing to believe him. 

"The 6-foot-5, 290-pound Murphy explained that his suspension stemmed from the use of what he believes was a tainted supplement. Murphy said he couldn’t even pronounce the name of the banned substance that was found in his system, but he got rid of all of his supplements and has since switched to a brand that is more closely monitored"

I get it.  i waffled back and forth about whether he was talking about Murphy or Burfect myself.  There was also the tweet where he mentioned the guy missing a whole year and getting 7 mil, which was undoubtedly a shot at Murphy, though. or maybe not Murphy, just at the offers he was(n't) getting...

https://twitter.com/JovaisG/status/975412830877945857

30 minutes ago, William Barbour said:

Just wanted to fix my initial response.

Actually, a first time PED offender can get a 4 game suspension, looks like they changed the rule after 2015.

I was thinking back to the several missed/failed tests by Trent Williams before he got his 4 game suspension, it looks like there is now more leniency on marijuana compared to PEDs.

30 minutes ago, LaRonDontLikeUgly said:

The Colts won 4 games last season.

52 minutes ago, William Barbour said:

If the going price for a good DLineman is 9-10mil a year. In 3 years, we could have 3 DLineman on the roster taking up 40% of the defensive cap. 

In 3 years, meaning 2021? Dont we have Josh Allen for another 3 years and a 4th including an option year?  Hankins would have to get a contract beyond three years.

I like Ionnaidis and all but i think we would be jumping the gun that he is a Sheldon Richardson type and getting ultimately 10 mill a year. And even if he did the cap doesnt stay static but it keeps rising.

I dont see how we need to be worried about all of this.  Bruce for his faults is good at not handcuffing contracts with guaranteed money that extends for long. So what we do or dont do with Hankins in 2021 I doubt would be an issue.

If the rumours are true that they like Vea over Payne. Granted, earlier in the process it was the reverse. So who knows. But to play along what if Vea goes before 13. And you got James or Ward or Fitzparick sitting there at 13? And to follow up on that what if Doug and Jay are dead on serious about taking a RB early? All of a sudden then, you could be looking at the 4th round for the position.

I agree if everyone stays healthy at the position they are fine. But what are the odds of that like 10%?

Its a postion that demands more depth than the typical one. I like Lanier but he is a liability against the run. And its a problem IMO when PFF ranks your nose tackle as the worst in the league.

IMO you have to add one killer d tackle to this group and if you do it will be a game changer. Not that I needed to hear it from him but Cooley who some people respect here said the same thing.

1 hour ago, William Barbour said:

I am not so trusting, and lets be honest. After a slow rocky start he was about to be a bust and then broke out for a 9 sack season and then gets busted for PED's. Then comes down injured. Which is normal for guys on those. You can believe him, I think he's lying through his teeth. And certainly wouldn't be the first or last guy who denied knowing he was juicing when he got caught.

Getting past the Hankins talk right now. Get the feeling we're being played to drive the price. No doubt Bruce is going lower than needs be, however I'm thinking it is 50/50 on why the deal isn't moving. 

Could be time to switch to Logan, 3 year 20 mil deal and use the spare cap space for Boone and Maclin.

50 minutes ago, William Barbour said:

I think the issue lies in if Hankins is worth 9 million to the front office with Ionnadis and Lanier taking such huge steps in a year. 

The defensive line was impressive till after Chiefs game. When the abnormal amount of inuries happened it started to fail. 

If its me, I would rather draft a DT and let Tomsula coach him up. 

You have Sherff, Crowder, and Smith deals coming up. If Ionnadis has a strong year, you may want to re-sign him early. 

This is a good point, having to balance the cap, space deals, etc., but there’s a whole lot of wiggle room, IMO.  

1) You’re going with more of an unknown if you go to the draft rather than a FA like Hankins.  

2) If you divide the cap in half (let’s call it 88.5 mil) to figure out defensive cap dollars, then 30 mil (3 DL at 10 mil each) is a tick over 30% (15% total)

3) the cap is still rising

4) you could structure Hankins so that we can get out of his deal once we bring a rookie along

5) with McPhee (maybe?) and Anderson in the fold, you can draft an OLB and move on from Smith if needed and focus on extending others instead

6) you can spread things out so Hankins gets paid this year, Ioannidas gets extended next year, then Allen the following year.  By then, we’ve had time to find a replacement for Hankins

7) I don’t mind spending bigger $ on the DL.  In fact, lots of teams are having success in large part because they’re going this route.  

8) We should be moving on from some of our big contracts in the near future, particularly Reed and Norman, freeing up money for extensions 

9) Gotta factor in addition by subtraction - by signing Hankins, McClain and Hood are gone by next year (if not this year)... that’s a significant portion of Hankins 9 or 10 mil, and that’s not factoring in McGee

10) the draft is a crapshoot (I didn’t know that until Doug told us, lol). No telling whether we land a difference maker for the DL

11) Hankins helps the FO avoid forcing a DL pick and thereby passing on a blue chip prospect, missing a chance to trade down, and/or missing on another impact player at a position of need

If we buy into the idea that the FO is in win now mode (or at least trying to balance the short and long term), they need DL help immediately.  They have plenty of ways to do this without hurting themselves long term, even if we take on a large DL contract.  

1 hour ago, William Barbour said:

Front office isn't gonna give him that money. Hankins is long gone imo. We are living in the days of paying 20% lower then what the players are asking for. If we were in the days of paying 20% over what they asked for then Vinny would still be here. The MO for the front office is to set a price, let the player walk and then decide to come back to the building accepting the price the Redskins gave him. I think this is much better then over paying. While I like Hankins I bet they aren't even in the ballpark of 9 per because of them wanting to hold back some ammunition to re-sign Preston and Brandon. Time to move on imo

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Getting past the Hankins talk right now. Get the feeling we're being played to drive the price. No doubt Bruce is going lower than needs be, however I'm thinking it is 50/50 on why the deal isn't moving. 

Could be time to switch to Logan, 3 year 20 mil deal and use the spare cap space for Boone and Maclin.

I havent really paid much attention to Logan of late. But from what I have read last year he was just a guy. And if i recall he is 29 this season. Maybe he is headed south career wise? But I don't know.

I am not consumed by the draft pick comp drill if it involves getting a top end player type. But i don't love losing a pick for a run of the mill type of guy.

Not saying thats who Logan is now but I am not sure.

9 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

3) the cap is still rising

I wonder about this big time. Is that sustainable? The league attendance is down, the league market viewing is down. People blame the fact there are games to watch four nights a week. The salary cap is partly based on the money the teams get from the TV channels that broadcast the games. The news from ESPN the last few years is that they are taking such a beating from the contract they gave the NFL that they've had to do massive layoffs because of the lost money.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-cutting-nearly-100-million-in-on-air-talent-030617/

That says that ESPN gave the NFL 2 Billion dollars to broadcast games in 2016. From that they received only 285 million in ad revenue. That type of loss I suspect is going to directly hit the NFLs contracts next time they came due, which in turn I suspect is going to make the salary cap go down. If so that's happening in 2021. Which could result in a massive problem for everyone going forward especially free agency. But for now the TV money is locked in so the cap will rise, I just wonder if it's sustainable?

1 hour ago, jerryred said:

i got a question  for yall what happens if the redskins sign hankins and both safety in the draft are taken by the time the redskins pick, what they do take the best player available, reach on a rb, or trade back

If that was the case I would hope we would take the best player available, which would probably be Roquan Smith or their top rated CB. Take a look at the draft thread for some more info.

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I havent really paid much attention to Logan of late. But from what I have read last year he was just a guy. And if i recall he is 29 this season. Maybe he is headed south career wise? But I don't know.

I am not consumed by the draft pick comp drill if it involves getting a top end player type. But i don't love losing a pick for a run of the mill type of guy.

Not saying thats who Logan is now but I am not sure.

No doubt he is a step down talent wise from Hankins. Not keen on being held to ransom though. Poston is playing hard again, not sure I'd be hanging around too much longer to discover my fate. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd pay 9 million a year to PFF's 3rd best run stuffer DT in the league who is 25 going on 26. 

I recall people talking about how Snacks Harrison was overpaid when the Giants signed him -- O. Vernon, too.  And those two flipped their team in one season from being pathetic as to stopping the run to being monster level good at it.  It fell apart last year for them like it did for everything though. 

Having said that the Kyle Raugh guy isn't a reporter, I just looked him up, he's got like 13 followers on twitter.

He appears to be who he said he was, worked as an Assistant at IU.... I'll take his word, or he'll pay, hahahaa

Archived