Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

Hankins gonna ask for just less than Suh. Figure, get clever with the contract and sign Suh. We're gonna be dumping quite a bit of dead weight next year so the cost with be reduced. Suh is a much safer signing. He's never not performed and easily has 2-3 good years left.

Do you guys think beat writers find value in their own jobs 90% of the time? It must be so boring to try to find a way to re-frame or re-write the same story you (along with a dozen other writers from other outlets) have been telling for weeks (or sometimes months) with a slightly different spin to make it "worth" publishing. I mean it must take actual work to make sure you aren't accidentally plagiarizing one of the other beat writers when you're all saying and reporting the same stories, especially when there's no news. 

9 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Hankins gonna ask for just less than Suh. Figure, get clever with the contract and sign Suh. We're gonna be dumping quite a bit of dead weight next year so the cost with be reduced. Suh is a much safer signing. He's never not performed and easily has 2-3 good years left.

he's not a nose tackle and has never played a 3-4

7 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Do you guys think beat writers find value in their own jobs 90% of the time? It must be so boring to try to find a way to re-frame or re-write the same story you (along with a dozen other writers from other outlets) have been telling for weeks (or sometimes months) with a slightly different spin to make it "worth" publishing. I mean it must take actual work to make sure you aren't accidentally plagiarizing one of the other beat writers when you're all saying and reporting the same stories, especially when there's no news. 

The team, and the NFL, are WAY over exposed.  Its one of the reasons ratings are down, probably the biggest reason.  Jmo

3 minutes ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

Suh doesn't wanna play here..

That's true. But it's because Suh wants to go to the highest bidder (he's explicitly stated that through the media).

Bruce and the Redskins will not be the highest bidder.

Because of the transitive property, Suh doesn't wanna play here.

25 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Seriously, give this team a fighting chance. Sign Suh, draft another stud LB/S at 13 like Derwin James or Roquan Smith. Pick up RB or OG in second round and let's play ball

Suh cancelled his visit with the Raiders yesterday and went home.  He has had offers from a number of teams and is leaning towards the Rams by all accounts.  We are not in this race and it is way to late to enter now as unless we offer stupid money he is not listening to any more offers.

2 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Maybe this line from Keim's article will calm people down for a little while.

But probably not. :) 

Frankly, I think people have built up Hankins into some kind of Superman that he can never live up to. The way he's talked about makes me think he's Warren Sapp plus Reggie White mixed with Andre, the Giant.

3 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

think I ask this every year, but which one of our starters would a good team see as an upgrade. Williams is always on the list. Reed sometimes makes the list, but I'm little exhausted with Reed. Norman.....I like to think he has one or two more big years in him. Kerrigan is always a tough one for me. I think he's good. But I think he's good partially because someone on a defense has to be good and be schemed free for sacks and stuff like that. Also, everyone I just mentioned is way beyond rookie contract years.

Scherff

Dont you feel dumb!

Its amazing how little cap space we have.  Minnesota is out there making it rain and they had what, 18 starters on defense go to the pro bowl?

7 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Frankly, I think people have built up Hankins into some kind of Superman that he can never live up to. The way he's talked about makes me think he's Warren Sapp plus Reggie White mixed with Andre, the Giant.

Yep, the abilities we are hearing about him are becoming almost mythical.

I'll actually feel bad for Hankins, kind of, if he signs here, because he may never be able to live up to expectations folks are putting on him.

3 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Yep, the abilities we are hearing about him are becoming almost mythical.

I'll actually feel bad for Hankins, kind of, if he signs here, because he may never be able to live up to expectations.

Until he wins Defensive AND Offensive player of the year...

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think the mythical beliefs about Hankins says more about the Skins than it does Hankins.

Agreed.

I think Mufasa's death says more about the Redskins than it does about Scar.

3 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

There are counter arguments for each of those guys though:

1) Cousins wasnt signing here. And he came up with his 3 year fully guaranteed contract idea YEARS ago.

2) Paul. I agree great special teamer. But FOURTH on our depth chart.

3) Long just signed a monster contract. We like what we have in a young center. And Long isnt really a guard.He was signed as a Center plus hes coming off of surgery

4) Breeland stunk. He was burned constantly. I really dont get the love for the guy.

5) Fuller. HUGE loss. But please see number 1 as to why he was dealt.

6) Grant. Probably the one I am most surprised we didnt keep. But it appeared he was signing a contract similar to Richardsons before he got screwed.

Skins fans fall in love with our guys, man.  Undying loyalty to our guys.  Teams that consistently win just aren’t loyal.  It is what it is.

15 hours ago, Bang said:

Hard to resist with the Poston's names being brought up.. i have a story.

Back 10+ years ago i used to make flash cartoons about the NFL. In 2004 Kellen Winslow Jr was a highly touted TE coming out of Miami, he had famously and intensely referred to himself as 'the soldier'... and the Poston's were his agents. They were famous for their uh.. unrealistic approach to valuing their players, and their.. uh.. gun to the head style of negotiation. The Browns drafted him, and given their reputation and his ego, i made this cartoon.

Going Poston
(Requires flash, and bear in mind it was 2004 and this was one of my first toons,, so the animation and art are not so hot.)

the cartoon took off.. it got over half a million hits in it's first two weeks.   Winslow had to address it in press conferences when reporters asked him if he would hold out..., and he laughed that he had seen the cartoon and swore it wouldn't be like that. ESPN picked up on it, and used the cartoon on "Outside the Lines" in their profile of the suddenly controversial Poston brothers.. .. they showed it to Carl Poston on the air, and his face was terrific..  he said 'that is unfortunate'.. :ols:
Cleveland sports radio had me on and wanted me to 'explain myself' when it came to my characterization of the Postons. (not the only time a city got mad at me. Had a nice feud with Detroit, too  but that's another story.).  

After his rookie year, Kellen was in a motorcycle accident, so I made this.

EZ Ryder

And then the Postons' appeared trying to liquidate their free agents. Carl got his license suspended while i was making this, so i threw the bit on at the end,

SALE!

(Charles Woodson turned out to have a lot more left in the tank, eh?)

~Bang

*For all of our 'ES Family' who weren't around during the Time-Period about which Bro. Bang is articulating...

Please search for, and watch his brilliant work! They're Oscar-worthy!

I became an ES-er, because of them! I happened across this board, and joined BECAUSE OF Bang's work! He's the Best Who EVER Did It! Point-Blank! Period!

My favorite: then QB Mark Brunnel's 'inability to hit the ground with a pass - while aboard a helicopter'...

Thank you, Bro. Bang!

And, thanks to all of my ES Family! You all are the Best!

HTTR-4-LIFE!!!

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

So not sure what Packers teams you were watching, but looking back to the 1995 season to current, they have made three super bowls (1996, 1997, 2010) and in those years on defense ranked #1, #7 #5 respectively along in offense ranking #5, #4, #9 respectively.  

So I posted a while ago the offensive and defensive rankings last year of who got into the playoffs. I'm not going to do that again, but here are some highlights:

1. Off the top 10 offenses in the league by yards, 8 made the playoffs.  The Chargers (4) and the Bucs (9) did not. The Chargers are an interesting case, they had the 15th best defense by yards and the 3rd in PPG, but still missed the playoffs.  Because Philip Rivers is cursed.  Tampa had the 32nd defense by yards, and 22nd by points, so that's more explainable.

1.5 Of the top 10 teams in the league by points (understand that this includes ST and Defensive scores), 8 made it, the two left out are the Ravens and Lions.  Lions had the 27th (yards) and 21 (points) defense.

2. New England is interesting because they had the 29th ranked offense by yards, but 5th by points.  To go along with the #1 offense in the league.  I think you have to credit BB for knowing what he's doing there.  Typically if you're giving up THAT many yards, they will translate to points at a higher rate than it did for the Pats.

3. The Steelers were the 3rd ranked offense and the 5th ranked defense.  Most balanced team in the playoffs.  Jags were surprisingly the 6th ranked offense by yards (5th by points), 2nd in defense (both points and yards).Philly was 7th ranked offense (and would have been better, most likely, because the Eagles offense struggled a few games as they adjusted to Foles), and 4th defense.

4. Buffalo made the playoffs with the 29th ranked offense and the 26th ranked defense (yards), 18th (points).  

5. Minnesota had the best defense (yards and points) and the 11th best offense.  They SHOULD have lost to the Saints, if not for a miracle.  

6. 4 of the top 10 defenses in yards did not make the playoffs: Denver, Arizona, Dallas, Chicago.  Raise your hand if you knew that Dallas and Chicago had top 10 defenses in yards? I didn't.  

7. 3 of the top 10 defenses in Points didn't make the playoffs: Chargers, Ravens, Bears.  Again, that Bears defense was sneaky good.  To go along with the 30th ranked offense...

Also worth noting, the Falcons in 2016 scored 33.8 PPG, and the Saints scored 29.3 (and missed the playoffs.  The Pats in 2017  (highest scoring offense in the league) scored 28.6 PPG.  Saints were second at 28.  Takeaway from that, Atlanta's offense was historically good in 2016.  Mostly due to Kyle Shanahan, given that it was essentially the same players in 2017 and they scored 22.1 ppg.  But Shanahan also was one of the biggest dopes that cost them the SB by not running the damn ball on that faitful play and let NE back in the game.  So, take that for what you will.

Takeaways from this "analysis"

- He who scores a lot of points and has a lot of yards, unless they have an absolutely historically bad defense (or Philip Rivers, who is cursed), will make the playoffs.  

- You just can't have a bad defense by points and make the playoffs.  You can give up yards and still make the playoffs (bend but don't break), but none of the teams from 20-32 in points given up made the playoffs.  'Skins were 27.  

- THIS IS IMPORTANT AND OBVIOUS: I feel like John Madden pointing out "the team who scores more points wins the game" here, but Pats/Eagles were the 3rd/2nd points scored and the 5th/4th points allowed teams in the league respectively.  So, (from the "masters of the obvious files) the teams that score the most and don't let other teams score the most were in the SB.  Amazing how that works.  

As far as how this relates to the 'Skins, the absolute #1 priority HAS to be to make sure they are in the top 20 in terms of points given up.  Period, end of question, full stop.  It is almost table stakes for getting into the playoffs: FWIW, the cutoff last year was 22.4 PPG.  'Skins were 24.2.  So they need to get at least 2 points per game better.  That's almost a FG better per game in reality. 

Even if they stayed exactly where they were offensively, which was DAMN SMACK in the middle of the pack offensively last year (16th for both yards and PPG), they would stand a really good shot of making the playoffs.  The TItans made the playoffs with the 18th scoring offense and the 17th scoring defense.  Buffalo made it with the 22nd and 18th.  

So, that's got to be the #1 priority.  I personally think if they draft a good RB, they can probably be about the same if not better on offense, assuming they find somebody to play LG.  

Defense, I think they still need impact players in the front 7 to make the jump.  We're talking about eliminating one scoring drive per game.  That's not the easiest thing to do.  They lost 2 starting DBs from last year, and added a backup DB who's not as good, along with signing Brown and Dunny.

Some of the other players might improve and play well.  But I still think if they're going to take the leap as a team, they need 1-2 more impact players.  Maybe that comes in the draft.  But that's the must right now.  

23 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Defense, I think they still need impact players in the front 7 to make the jump.  We're talking about eliminating one scoring drive per game.  That's not the easiest thing to do.  They lost 2 starting DBs from last year, and added a backup DB who's not as good, along with signing Brown and Dunny.

I totally agree with your analysis that we need to add a couple of impact players to that front 7. But besides that part of how we get better next year is by (hopefully) being healthier and by hoping all the young guys who had to play because of those injuries have got better from the experience.

If we can improve the running game and sustain drives and stay on the field on 3rd and short more then the defense will not be n the field as long either. We were 20th in the NFL in time of possession last year.

Hope is not a strategy of course ... until it is.

46 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

As far as how this relates to the 'Skins, the absolute #1 priority HAS to be to make sure they are in the top 20 in terms of points given up.  Period, end of question, full stop.  It is almost table stakes for getting into the playoffs: FWIW, the cutoff last year was 22.4 PPG.  'Skins were 24.2.  So they need to get at least 2 points per game better.  That's almost a FG better per game in reality.

So, that's got to be the #1 priority.  I personally think if they draft a good RB, they can probably be about the same if not better on offense, assuming they find somebody to play LG.  

That means the priorities are a NT with athleticism and pass-rushing potential (Vea, Payne); LG; and RB.  Assuming we can get a LG in round 4, we can do do this.  Your analysis was quite an enjoyable read.

Archived