Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

4 minutes ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

Superbowl...the Steelers patriots packers saints colts cardinals ..if Trent dilfer can win a Superbowl..and don't give me that whole the ravens had the best defense ever..just kidding..they did.. Trent won cuz of there defense..

Jesus Chirst on a surf board. People are still playing the Trent Dilfer card?

At least give Nick Foles some love....thought it's hard to say he was mediocre when he threw for 18 touchdowns in the NFC title game and the Super Bowl, caught four, and ran for six. I also think he had 14 tackles for a loss.

4 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

At least give Nick Foles some love....thought it's hard to say he was mediocre when he threw for 18 touchdowns in the NFC title game and the Super Bowl, caught four, and ran for six. I also think he had 14 tackles for a loss.

Wellllll in the 2000-2001 season the Baltimore ravens won the Superbowl..the ravens had the best defense to ever play on a football field...there quarterback was Trent Dilfer...he managed but that was about it..sorry but I'm in Idaho.. bordered by Washington Oregon Montana and Wyoming..and a little of Nevada..ain't no ocean to surf round here..

16 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

This is the problem here ... your not actually looking at the bigger picture here ... we resigned some of our developed talent Everette and Dunbar or reasonable deals which means we can keep developing them ... 

no team has the luxury of moving on from a starter to a young - but proven back up ... i mean To say Moreau has shown nothing to move on from Breeland ... what exactly has Breeland shown us ... he is a patchy okay at time CB with the temprenent if a 4 year old ...

what really gets gets my back up about people who ONLY see the negative and whine about the last 20,25 years as if it makes a difference is the whining gets old - and I am not talking about anyone who shows any criticism... I am talking about people who moan like it’s their job... they see the tip of an ice cube in their drink and make it an iceberg ... 

seriosly get over yourselves this is a thread to talk about free agency ... you wanna whine about the FO feel free ... there is a thread in the stadium for that ... which is great because I don’t wanna read a whine fest so I never look there ... but stop polluting every single thread with this drivel ... if you are that starved of attention but a puppy ... 

sorry rant off 

Personal insults?  Seriously?  You're gonna whine about whiners, add nothing to the thread, and then try to generalize and insult me?  Ignore the irony of derailing the thread when my last post was talking about ending the conversation since it was derailing the thread.  That was sixteen minutes ago.   Heaven forbid someone read before they write.  Or even better:  Read *INSTEAD* of write.

That last sentence is why I'm not going to grace any of your "points" with a response.

Here's an idea next time you want to take issue with me when it has nothing to do with the topic:  PM me.  Or type this all out, give it 20 minutes, and then decide if you want to post it (spoiler alert: you won't).  I barely post in the offseason because things are just rehashed over and over.  Don't project your crap on me.  Don't bother to respond, either.  This is already enough of a waste of time.

14 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Why are you just giving the stats of his first drive?

giphy.gif

24 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Good post.

My main problem is your first question.  The fact that we've asked and answered it seemingly every year, for the past nine years, is ridiculous.  Allen has ZERO credibility.  I'd love to be proven wrong, and your list is actually pretty refreshing to read.  Until we are winners, I can't say that we have a plan.  As long as other teams in the division are going from crap to Super Bowl champs in two years, Allen and his "plan" are crap.

However, I'm going to stop here as I realized there is a thread about Allen and I'm de-railing this one.

Last post I'll have on the topic so I don't completely pull an Allen and screw up the thread.

It's all related bud... And part of the point is us signing at reasonable rates (which i think has less to do with Allen and more to do with Schaffer) is part of the process we're talking about.  Again...  not confident enough to say "he knows better" but I do like what I've seen this free agency period.. not only with who we've brought back, but more about who we didn't let get to that point.  Davis, Thompson, Dunbar, Moses (would have been a FA this year). 

I think in the "franchise QB vs. Build a team around a capable QB" debate, there is enough evidence to show a Superbowl can be won either way.  The difference for me, and why I lean on wanting a franchise QB is because doing it the other tends to lead One-and-done miracle seasons where everything fell into place, but the QB is not of the caliber to get the team back when other elements of the roster begin to fade or weaken.  

Franchise QB's tend to get their teams at least to the playoffs as a baseline outcome except in cases where something overwhelming happens to the roster, but overall season-to-season they can keep their teams in the conversation of a possible Superbowl.

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

I think in the "franchise QB vs. Build a team around a capable QB" debate, there is enough evidence to show a Superbowl can be won either way.  The difference for me, and why I lean on wanting a franchise QB is because doing it the other tends to lead One-and-done miracle seasons where everything fell into place, but the QB is not of the caliber to get the team back when other elements of the roster begin to fade or weaken.  

Franchise QB's tend to get their teams at least to the playoffs as a baseline outcome except in cases where something overwhelming happens to the roster, but overall season-to-season they can keep their teams in the conversation of a possible Superbowl.

It's also easier to build a team, than it is to find one of the 5 best QBs in the world.. as odd as that sounds.  

4 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The slight problem I have is there aren't many Franchise QBs and how there is not proven way to get them. Here's my examples:

Aaron Rodgers - Fell into the Packers lap when they already had a franchise guy.

Drew Brees - Signed in free agency coming off major shoulder surgery of his throwing arm.

Tom Brady - 5th round pick who sat a year. 

Big Ben - Was he the 3rd or 4th QB taken that draft year? Anyway, it was a draft that had Eli, Rivers and him, all went in the first round. 

Russell Wilson -  3rd round pick that clearly won the starting job in training camp. 

Aside from Wilson all of those guys had time to develop and didn't hit their perennial all-pro form until they were in year 3+. 

There are a bunch of guys I classify as 'good enough'. I'd put the Rivers, Cousins, Stafford, Newton, etc.. into that group. Most of those guys were high first round draft picks, so it appears the chances of getting a 'good enough' QB are better. It also seems many of them start right out of the gates, so that's a bit more promising. 

It really comes down to what you define as a 'franchise QB'. IMHO there are a lot of guys who are less accomplished, but have had less to work with, so their career always seem to fall short of those all pros above. 

2 hours ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

Final answer... This season will pan out one of two ways.... history will repeat itself and we will be pissing into the wind and end up with three to five wins or what I strongly believe is going to happen our offensive line holds up and we have 11 + wins. I think we have the talent to win 11 + games.

To start I wish I had your optimism. I think it's refreshing to see people with so much hope. 

Now to my pessimistic, pissy ways. The last time this team had more than 10 wins was 1991. To put that in context that was before the internet was commercially available...

1 hour ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I think I ask this every year, but which one of our starters would a good team see as an upgrade. Williams is always on the list. Reed sometimes makes the list, but I'm little exhausted with Reed. Norman.....I like to think he has one or two more big years in him. Kerrigan is always a tough one for me. I think he's good. But I think he's good partially because someone on a defense has to be good and be schemed free for sacks and stuff like that. Also, everyone I just mentioned is way beyond rookie contract years.

This is kind of tricky because I’m not nearly as up on other rosters besides ours.  If I were to instead look at like this - who on our team could start for another team and play well for them (not be a weak link):

Allen and Ioannidas - they aren’t studs (yet), but they look to be solid, maybe even good starters.  

Brown - he’s got issues in coverage, but he’s a tackling machine.  Could always be pulled on 3rd.  

Kerrigan and Smith - not elite, but both good players, maybe even studs.  

Norman - obviously.  

Swearinger - solid player.  

Nicholson - those injuries, and the prospect of him being injury prone... problematic.  However, he stepped right in and looked good.  Never looked lost and has the size and range you want from a FS.  

Scherff and Williams - obviously.  

Moses - solid starter.  

Roullier - I’m not counting him at all, though I have a hunch we’ll be very happy with him in the near future.  

Crowder - good slot receiver.  

Thompson - good 3rd down back.  Makes up for a slight lack of wheels and jitterbug traits with patience, smarts and good blocking.  

Reed - Good to very good TE.  Injuries and lack of blocking skills mean you need a good 2nd TE.  

Smith - good starter (lot of nuance here - age, ceiling, how much support he needs, etc., but I’ll leave that alone).  

Notable positions missing - NT, WR (outside), and runningback (1st and 2nd down guy).  Perhaps DE too as I consider Io and Allen more DTs (and it’s too much to ask them to play both consistently).  

Jumping off that, as far as what the team needs - NT, DT depth, DE, LG, RB, ILB depth, maybe a starting receiver and corner (though we have some solid options there), probably a capable backup FS, maybe an all around TE (especially one that can block).  

And this is is why I often find myself in a strange middle ground.  We have the makings of a good team, but until we answer some/several of the above needs, this isn’t a team that is ‘close’.  That colors some of the criticism I have for the FO.  We have a lot of good players, but we haven’t seen more than flashes of good play on the field, we’ve lacked consistency.  As I’ve said before, some of that can be attributed to youth, some (maybe a lot last year) to injuries, but some of it is because we always seem to have glaring weaknesses... and I’m talking about both players and whole units.  

If we land Hankins, draft a top RB and find a starter at G, I think we’d be a pain in the *** to play... assuming injuries don’t knock us off the rails.  

4 minutes ago, Unbias said:

To start I wish I had your optimism. I think it's refreshing to see people with so much hope. 

Now to my pessimistic, pissy ways. The last time this team had more than 10 wins was 1991. To put that in context that was before the internet was commercially available...

I completely understand and respect your point.

Just now, Taylorcooley1 said:

Superbowl...the Steelers patriots packers saints colts cardinals ..if Trent dilfer can win a Superbowl..and don't give me that whole the ravens had the best defense ever..just kidding..they did.. Trent won cuz of there defense..

So not sure what Packers teams you were watching, but looking back to the 1995 season to current, they have made three super bowls (1996, 1997, 2010) and in those years on defense ranked #1, #7 #5 respectively along in offense ranking #5, #4, #9 respectively.  

The Steelers played in Super Bowls in the following seasons, and here is how they finished in offense and defensive rankings those seasons:

1995 - 6th off and 3rd def

2005 - 15th off and 4th def

2008 - 22nd off and 1st def

2010 - 14th off and 2nd def

They had a top 4 defense in each of their past four SB appearances, so not sure how you listed them either.

2009 Saints - 6th off and 4th def - how can you list them either?

2006 Colts - 3rd off and 21st def - I'll give you this, but they put everything into their offense and designed the defense around that.  Defense was built to play with a lead.  Also, if you remember, once they got Bob Sanders back, their defense greatly improved in the playoffs.  

2009 Colts - 4th off and 20th def - See above, defense was built to play with a lead, and they had a powerhouse offense with a HOF QB.

2008 Cards - 4th off and 19th def - I'll give you this one.

Here is the Pats ones with horrible defenses:

1996 - 7th off and 19th def - still had a top offense

2001 -19th off and 24th defense - this one is their only one where both sides of the ball were poor

2011 - 2nd off and 31st defense - top #2 offense

2017 - 1st off and 29th defense - best overall offense

So, the Packers, Steelers and Saints you completely whiffed on.  The two Colts teams, while having low ranked defenses, they had one of the greatest QBs ever to play the game with a power offense built around him along with a defense specifically built to play with a lead.  Which is going to give up chunks of yardage at the end of games.

The Cards, had a powerful offense their year and the Pats, well, they have arguably the greatest coach of all time and the GOAT at QB.  So point being, it can be done with an average/below average defense if you have a high powered offense like almost all of those teams did/do.  Thing is, we don't have anything close to an offense like that, with exception to 2016 when we were the 3rd ranked offense.  We also finished 8-7-1 and missed the playoffs.  

Ryan Bowman Retweeted

James Dorsett Retweeted Football Outsiders

"After Washington finished last in AGL in 2017, we can say that Gruden has had the most injured teams of any coach since 2002."

James Dorsett added,

Football Outsiders @fboutsiders
2017 Adjusted Games Lost numbers are here. #Redskins lead the league in injuries, with #Bears right behind. #Rams lead the league with fewest injuries. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/2017-adjusted-games-lost 
Show this thread

That doesn’t surprise me in the least.  When I saw us ranked (I wanna say) 7th in man games lost... I thought that didn’t at all paint an accurate picture.  

Also, holy cow, that dude needs to change his profile pick.  Credibility man.  

I forgot which poster (Monk maybe?) broke down our training staff... that was an embarrassment.  Perhaps someone in the FO sees this and they finally figure out a change is needed.  

8 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

So not sure what Packers teams you were watching, but looking back to the 1995 season to current, they have made three super bowls (1996, 1997, 2010) and in those years on defense ranked #1, #7 #5 respectively along in offense ranking #5, #4, #9 respectively.  

The Steelers played in Super Bowls in the following seasons, and here is how they finished in offense and defensive rankings those seasons:

1995 - 6th off and 3rd def

2005 - 15th off and 4th def

2008 - 22nd off and 1st def

2010 - 14th off and 2nd def

They had a top 4 defense in each of their past four SB appearances, so not sure how you listed them either.

2009 Saints - 6th off and 4th def - how can you list them either?

2006 Colts - 3rd off and 21st def - I'll give you this, but they put everything into their offense and designed the defense around that.  Defense was built to play with a lead.  Also, if you remember, once they got Bob Sanders back, their defense greatly improved in the playoffs.  

2009 Colts - 4th off and 20th def - See above, defense was built to play with a lead, and they had a powerhouse offense with a HOF QB.

2008 Cards - 4th off and 19th def - I'll give you this one.

Here is the Pats ones with horrible defenses:

1996 - 7th off and 19th def - still had a top offense

2001 -19th off and 24th defense - this one is their only one where both sides of the ball were poor

2011 - 2nd off and 31st defense - top #2 offense

2017 - 1st off and 29th defense - best overall offense

So, the Packers, Steelers and Saints you completely whiffed on.  The two Colts teams, while having low ranked defenses, they had one of the greatest QBs ever to play the game with a power offense built around him along with a defense specifically built to play with a lead.  Which is going to give up chunks of yardage at the end of games.

The Cards, had a powerful offense their year and the Pats, well, they have arguably the greatest coach of all time and the GOAT at QB.  So point being, it can be done with an average/below average defense if you have a high powered offense like almost all of those teams did/do.  Thing is, we don't have anything close to an offense like that, with exception to 2016 when we were the 3rd ranked offense.  We also finished 8-7-1 and missed the playoffs.  

How bout them Yankees

41 minutes ago, Unbias said:

It really comes down to what you define as a 'franchise QB'. IMHO there are a lot of guys who are less accomplished, but have had less to work with, so their career always seem to fall short of those all pros above. 

I can agree with all that. I think that is where everything gets so tricky. If you don't have a Rodgers, Big Ben, Brees, etc etc.....how much/how little of your resources do you put into keeping that next tier of QB around.  The only "easy" scenario is landing a Top 5 QB, outside of that....good luck.

The Redskins have hosted multiple defensive linemen: Muhammed Wilkerson, Johnathan Hankins and Sylvester Williams. They've had interest in others, too. Wilkerson was a risk given his poor play and habits the past two years in New York; big names do not equate to good signings.

The Redskins have remained in contact with Hankins, who visited Monday.

Washington wants to bolster its line, but this doesn't have to be accomplished in free agency. The Redskins must decide if it's worth it to spend a good chunk of money on Hankins -- his contract wishes, as of now, are high -- or select someone at 13, such as Vita Vea or Da'Ron Payne. One of them should be available (Vea could go higher). It's the same decision they faced at running back; there were guys they liked in free agency, but rather than spend $5 million per year on one of them, they preferred to take their shot with a draft deep at running back.

The danger with this: What if someone they like gets picked? Or what if a player at another spot falls to them unexpectedly at 13? They could draft a player they like more, which is fine. But it would still leave them minus the line help they crave. And the craving is real.

The Redskins still have interest in Bennie Logan, but there has been no visit. Hankins visited Detroit on Tuesday, but the Lions signed nose tackle Sylvester Williams on Wednesday.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/36020/johnathan-hankins-remains-on-redskins-radar

Archived