Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

13 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Anyone on either side of the argument ever give thought to what this franchise has done wrong to have a roster that's not good enough to win, even without a top QB salary?

Sad stuff.

FO issues, ownership meddling, coaching issues, poor signings, bad ‘luck’ in the draft, trading away picks, mortgaging the future for a qb, cap penalty, etc.  

Bottom line, we’ve often suffered from a lack of vision/foresight, competence and stability (the good kind).  

Honestly, although Kirk has been a big part of our stable mediocrity (I mean that mostly in a good way), I found some reason for optimism about the rest of it the past several seasons.  Namely, 1) we were accumulating draft picks more often than we were trading them away, 2) we’ve had some decent success at drafting, 3) our bigger FA signings were smarter gambles - Jackson and Norman, 4) we had some stability in our scouting dept and at the head coach level.  

So, we seem to have improved in some of the areas I mentioned in the first two paragraphs, but the FO is an anchor for us.  We have more competent coaches, and perhaps better stability, but the foresight issue is rearing it’s ugly head in the form of this qb controversy.  

That’s my (overly simplistic?) take anyway.  

25 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

@skinny21 I agree with you.  I recognize and acknowledge that things aren't as bad as they've been in the past.  There is just still a lot more to be desired is all.

Oh, I’m right there with you.  Frankly, if Cousins walks, and if we don’t find a (quick?) way to seriously mitigate that departure, that will be a failure that may well vault over the Haynesworth and Griffin debacles, as well as the Cerrato tenure, to number 1.  Which is depressing as hell.  

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

@skinny21 I agree with you.  I recognize and acknowledge that things aren't as bad as they've been in the past.  There is just still a lot more to be desired is all.

This is why im honestly ok with Kirk walking....

Yes he has been the best QB we have seen in a LONG time.  But what that is really saying is how BAD we have been at the position for a LONG time. 

Maybe this is better for a "Kirk" thread but I think what we do in free agency is heavily reliant on that outcome. 

Dont get me wrong, I like Kirk but I just feel like his time in DC is over. 

8 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

This is why im honestly ok with Kirk walking....

Yes he has been the best QB we have seen in a LONG time.  But what that is really saying is how BAD we have been at the position for a LONG time. 

Maybe this is better for a "Kirk" thread but I think what we do in free agency is heavily reliant on that outcome. 

Dont get me wrong, I like Kirk but I just feel like his time in DC is over. 

I see it much differently and it's why I'm not okay with Kirk walking.

I have more faith this FO lucks out and puts together a few winning seasons, where perhaps we get hot and get lucky and make some noise in the postseason with Kirk than without him.

I do not trust this FO to build a winner sans a quarterback.  Why would I trust this FO to do so when they've had Kirk under their noses for 3 season and still can't take a dump or get off the pot.  As the great Doug Williams said, "the draft is a crapshoot".  Even the best talent evaluators have a hard time drafting franchise quarterbacks.  The chance that we draft and develop one that is whipping butt and taking names in the next few seasons?  Slim to none.  Even playing the game where they "build up the defense" and start a JAG sounds good but it's another thing to implement it.

The team has invested 3 seasons and over 44M in Kirk Cousins.  No other available QB in the NFL is going to come in and execute Jay's offense better than Kirk can.  Certainly not immediately.  I just don't see the point in flushing that down the toilet at this point in the game unless Kirk forces them to let him go.

17 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Anyone on either side of the argument ever give thought to what this franchise has done wrong to have a roster that's not good enough to win, even without a top QB salary?

Sad stuff.

We haven't put two good drafts together.  In like... maybe ever?

When we do that, we have what is called a "Core" that we can build around.

We've tried.  We have a shot this year, which is why I'm all for just riding with Joe Schmo at QB and taking one next year.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Phew, I was thinking the Redskins were trying to get into the business of igniting the ILB market like they have for a QB.

Yeah when I misread it and thought we were paying $4 mil base per, i thought for sure that meant we were taking Foster, and moving on from Brown.  At what he signed for... Brown is absolutely still an option.  

Archived