Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

57 minutes ago, Tay said:

Reasonable deal. Can get out immediately if necessary. 

So this is the contract people were losing their **** over. The guy is almost free. If nothing else shows the importance of waiting for details this should - but it will not. 

The other thing this tells me is this guy just wants to play. If he is truly over his injury, he can help. If not, he is a smart veteran that has played at a high level at one time that can really help the young guys. Is it a big splash signing? Of course not. But it is solid depth signing. 

I hope we get something done with Hankins. But if wants huge money, move on. Let someone else pay it. Overpay a little? Absolutely. Overpay a lot? No way. 

I am starting to hear Logan's name. I much prefer Hankins. Something just seems off to me on Logan. Same could probably be said for Hankins - both signed prove it deals last year and are looking for a new team. However, Hankins was clearly more productive. 

Hard to resist with the Poston's names being brought up.. i have a story.

Back 10+ years ago i used to make flash cartoons about the NFL. In 2004 Kellen Winslow Jr was a highly touted TE coming out of Miami, he had famously and intensely referred to himself as 'the soldier'... and the Poston's were his agents. They were famous for their uh.. unrealistic approach to valuing their players, and their.. uh.. gun to the head style of negotiation. The Browns drafted him, and given their reputation and his ego, i made this cartoon.

Going Poston
(Requires flash, and bear in mind it was 2004 and this was one of my first toons,, so the animation and art are not so hot.)

the cartoon took off.. it got over half a million hits in it's first two weeks.   Winslow had to address it in press conferences when reporters asked him if he would hold out..., and he laughed that he had seen the cartoon and swore it wouldn't be like that. ESPN picked up on it, and used the cartoon on "Outside the Lines" in their profile of the suddenly controversial Poston brothers.. .. they showed it to Carl Poston on the air, and his face was terrific..  he said 'that is unfortunate'.. :ols:
Cleveland sports radio had me on and wanted me to 'explain myself' when it came to my characterization of the Postons. (not the only time a city got mad at me. Had a nice feud with Detroit, too  but that's another story.).  

After his rookie year, Kellen was in a motorcycle accident, so I made this.

EZ Ryder

And then the Postons' appeared trying to liquidate their free agents. Carl got his license suspended while i was making this, so i threw the bit on at the end,

SALE!

(Charles Woodson turned out to have a lot more left in the tank, eh?)

~Bang

33 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I am starting to hear Logan's name. I much prefer Hankins. Something just seems off to me on Logan. Same could probably be said for Hankins - both signed prove it deals last year and are looking for a new team. However, Hankins was clearly more productive. 

Hankins was a cut, so he didn't sign a prove it deal

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

This is just as big of a need as DL. But that does not mean I want them to spend the 13th pick in the draft on one when DL are so much harder to find.  The argument that Vea would only play on 2 downs is a legit argument. But the last time I checked, even in today's NFL,  coaches still say the key to the game is running the ball and stopping the run and this team sucks at both.  They never seemed to  convert 3rd and short and equally importantly they rarely stopped them as well.  

Either one of these alone is a recipe for disaster.  Of course, the Redskins have been horrific at both for years.  Even a novice can see these glaring holes.  Both must be fixed this year. 

There is something pathetic about consistently not being able to gain a yard on offense and consistently not being able to stop it on defense. 

9 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

Either one of these alone is a recipe for disaster.  Of course, the Redskins have been horrific at both for years.  Even a novice can see these glaring holes.  Both must be fixed this year. 

There is something pathetic about consistently not being able to gain a yard on offense and consistently not being able to stop it on defense. 

Especially considering alot of teams starting to go for it on 4th and short. Nothing worse than watching a team on theiir own side of the field go for it and convert...... Makes my blood ****ing boil. 

3 hours ago, bedlamVR said:

It is a crazy conspiracy theory ... and I am just going to leave it at that ... but did you know in the 90s the government replaced every 4th pet fish with a CIA robot fish so they could spy on US citizens ? Crazy ? Maybe but not as crazy as your thing you just posted ... :) 

Lol, yeah.  Your story at least has a blend of fact, and motive...

3 hours ago, -JB- said:

Garçon wasn’t worth 16 mill a year and Jackson fell off the face of the earth last season.  

I shouldn’t have posted that (especially in this thread), but I do feel we should have at least reached out to Garçon.. and I feel like it’s faulty logic to say they wouldn’t have done anything here since they didn’t somewhere else.  

My kids and I play this dice game - they would roll the die and say, “If it we’re my turn, I would have gotten —-“.  They’ve learned that’s not how it works.  

3 hours ago, markmills67 said:

I understand were your coming from mate, but non of the other players can stop the run, we could have a great offense but if the opposition are running for 200 yards a game you are going to end up with between 7/9 wins a year. 

Also the Giants couldn't afford to pay everybody on defense in 2016, and the Colts have gone to a 4-3 so Hankins doesn't fit there scheme. 

HTTR 

We seem to be undervaluing stopping the run a bit, and a guy like Hankins can also push the pocket.  Not to say you sign him at all costs, but trying to diminish what he would bring (particularly with the 3 teams in 3 year’s angle) is pretty silly.  

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

If you really looked at all the other backs around the league it's pretty clear that neither Kelly or Perine are anything close to "pretty good".  To me that means above average, these guys are not only below average they are right near the bottom of the league as far as starting RBs.  

This is just as big of a need as DL. But that does not mean I want them to spend the 13th pick in the draft on one when DL are so much harder to find.  The argument that Vea would only play on 2 downs is a legit argument. But the last time I checked, even in today's NFL,  coaches still say the key to the game is running the ball and stopping the run and this team sucks at both.  They never seemed to  convert 3rd and short and equally importantly they rarely stopped them as well.  

I agree with most of this.  Possible that he meant averaging Thompson with whoever starts for us (Perine/Kelley) = pretty good.  I could buy that, I suppose.  It ain’t good enough though.  

I’ve posted quite a bit about adding a back from the draft, but I will say that if we improve the blocking, Perine shows some growth, and we use him right, he could be a pretty good back.  That doesn’t stop me from trying to add a top back though.  Perine would make a good backup, IMO.  

@BangReally cool story man, thanks for sharing.  

Interesting on Scandrick’s contract.  I’ll take it.  

Galette apparently signed, Pryor is close, come on BIG MONEY.

If Bruce can find a way to sign Hankins, I'd have to say that he ****ing nailed FA... Regardless of how Hankins works out, I can't give him much lower than a B. With limited cap space he was patient, landed/re-signed important pieces, and didn't overpay.

I'm almost hoping that he screws something up because this applauding-Bruce-thing is making me question all that I know to be true.

All this comp pick stuff has to stop IMO. 

Look, we're getting a 3rd for Kurt. After that we're looking at a 5th and 6th rounders at best. In the words of Derrick Coleman, Whopdedamndo. 

Don't get me wrong, more picks are great. But it shouldn't stop us from signing quality guys. Stop with the tea totaling. Bottom line is regardless if we make 1-2 more signings we're ending up with a 3rd and a couple 6th rounders. 

No team is 'one 6th round pick away from a championship', or even a late 5th for that matter. At least they shouldn't be waiting on bated breath about getting it

7 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

All this comp pick stuff has to stop IMO. 

Look, we're getting a 3rd for Kurt. After that we're looking at a 5th and 6th rounders at best. In the words of Derrick Coleman, Whopdedamndo. 

Don't get me wrong, more picks are great. But it shouldn't stop us from signing quality guys. Stop with the tea totaling. Bottom line is regardless if we make 1-2 more signings we're ending up with a 3rd and a couple 6th rounders. 

No team is 'one 6th round pick away from a championship', or even a late 5th for that matter. At least they shouldn't be waiting on bated breath about getting it

Obviously its not likely, but the Patriots would disagree.

Archived