Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

3 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Still worried about the spurned Suh suitors coming after Hankins 

That's a big treat for us.  Looks like Suh maybe going to LA or Tenn., with Saints being the other. Tenn. has a lot of cap New Orleans not so much if he joins the Rams.  But any player can be signed with the power of the pen as we Redskin fans are well a ware of.

21 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I'd like for us to trade out of the 1st round with AZ or Pitt (or a team in desperate need of a QB as Jackson or possibly another one of the other blue chippers MIGHT still be there and add more ammo to our draft in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  This draft is deep at CB, Interior DL as well as other positions we need, if we signed Hankins which would be like drafting a 1st or 2nd rounder.

out of the first completely?  It'd take a lot for me to be willing to do that. Like second third and fourth

2 hours ago, skinsmania123 said:

But do we even know that offer on the table is?  Allen is notorious for low balling as we know and Hankins agent is notorious for over inflating perceived value of the players he represents.    I think you have to pay this guy upwards of 8 to 8.5 per to get him.   

We do not know what the Redskins might have offered him.  We also know he is still a free agent.  Nobody has given this guy what he wants.  Why be the team that panics and overpays?  I prefer to stick to an offer.  No need to rush the process.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm okay with Bruce not going overboard on Hankins. DL is a position you really want to get young in the draft.

I am just in the mindset that with someone who can command a double team so the linebackers can make the plays and push the pocket on passing downs to get the QB off his spot, is the top position of need for the team.  Look at the top Defenses of the past, example ( Baltimore) Ray Lewis will tell you what it means to have the big guy upfront in a 3/4. We cannot stop the run and we need the pressure up the middle.  Also we should end Free agency if we do not sign Hankins because there is nothing left out there to sign that would make a impact at a need position, save the money and cap space.   No OL or RB out there worth going after and that leaves the draft to fill those needs, and the chances are lowered to fill them.

Craig Hoffman Retweeted MindAfterMath

Can’t tell you about Samaje, but people in the org have been raving about Anderson. Got to work immediately. Slimmed down. Much quicker. We’ll see how it translates come training camp and the season.

Craig Hoffman added,

MindAfterMath @MindAfterMath
Hey @CraigHoffman, Gruden hinted yesterday that Anderson had slimmed down and gained speed? Can you tell me any more about this or if Perine may do something similar?
0 replies0 retweets0 likes

10 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yea, I'm guessing of all the average career-spans of NFL players, that position probably has the shortest, or it's up there, eh ?

Then that makes it that much harder to find a nose tackle.  If you can get one with out using your first pick in the draft? 

48 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm okay with Bruce not going overboard on Hankins. DL is a position you really want to get young in the draft.

Yea but when you can still get young dl in free agency it completely open the draft up. 

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

So we were both right but in the end the net is going to be more like $3.2M - so I stand corrected on that count. Unlike some I can admit when I am wrong. 

So fair enough @JSSkinz 

That's correct. But we also need to save space to eventually fill roster spots 52 and 53- about 1 mil. Plus to have a Practice Squad- 3.3 mil last year. And then space to fit whatever players are on IR or PUP to start the year, and for such moves during the season. 

When you said we had 6-8 mil, that's probably accurate before Scandrick. In terms of effective cap space.

1 hour ago, Romberjo said:

I think you're right. (Maybe also crazy.) We do need to spend $6.5 million on rookies. But those signings bumps the 7 lowest-paid players off the bottom of our salary cap, at 480K apiece, so the marginal extra cost of signing the rookies (as opposed to the minimum salary players they replace on the salary cap) is $3.2 million, rather than what we'll actually spend on rookies, which is $6.5 million.

This is correct. The actual slotting of the draft picks (based on what picks the team currently has) is over $6 million in salaries, but for cap purposes and based on the Rule of 51, it's likely less than $3 million against the actual cap. In fact, it's really only the first and second round picks that really put any dent on the actual cap (since the Redskins don't currently have a 3rd rounder)

34 minutes ago, Jericho said:

This is correct. The actual slotting of the draft picks (based on what picks the team currently has) is over $6 million in salaries, but for cap purposes and based on the Rule of 51, it's likely less than $3 million against the actual cap. In fact, it's really only the first and second round picks that really put any dent on the actual cap (since the Redskins don't currently have a 3rd rounder)

Yep. I learned something today!

Here is a link explaining it.

https://overthecap.com/explaining-the-nfls-rookie-salary-cap/

So this means we have circa $13M of space available taking into account the rookies and an injury reserve.

Archived