DC9

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Scandrick is a bad signing.  For years we have signed ex-Cowboys and they have been awful.  Those of you who did not like Scott M. 

can now see Why the rest of us were upset when he was ejected from the Skins.  I do not care if Orlando is covering the 4th receiver in games.  

He will not play the full season so why not get a younger guy in there and develop the younger guy.  Maybe this was not an Allen signing but

instead a Danny signing?

 

 

It’s a numbers game. Only had four corners on the roster. No one should make a big deal about the reported contract yet until we see the details. No team would start the season with so few on the roster and they needed the depth. It’s a meh signing but it helps

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, goskins10 said:


This is really the thing. Many people are losing their **** and we do not know the details. Maybe there is good cause. But until we know details - Scandricks exact contract - what Hankins wants, it seems really premature to get too pissed. 

 

So many people over-reacting it's been kind of comical actually. And hey I am no Bruce Allen fan. I think they guy is a douche. But that does not mean everything that happens is because he screwed up. 

 

Until we know the details, it does not make much sense to get too upset. But I have to admit it's been entertaining watching people lose their **** over it. 

 

Agree. I said it before Hankins left the building.  If I were a player why would I want to sign a contract on the spot?  I'd have to be blown away and surprised by the offer.  To me Scandrick's offer was a bit surprising if the 5 million figure is real so hence maybe he couldn't turn that down.   So he was an exception. 

 

The one thing I hang onto is the late Zach Brown signing last year.  He was one of the guys I was hankering for so that came out of the blue.  And I was jazzed when it happened.  So I've been reluctant to criticize the aggregate approach until it all unfolds.   There is still time. 

 

To take off on another point that plays off of this one and has nothing to do with you.  I think some of the Bruce backers can be as extreme as what they accuse the Bruce critics being where if you want to sign a big FA -- all of a sudden you are Vinny Cerrato.  And act like people make up their minds about players AFTER Bruce makes the call on them.  And their philosophies of how to build a team comes AFTER what Bruce does.  None of that is true for most at least from what I've observed. 

 

To give most people credit here, the typical opinion isn't working in retrospect or with hindsight.  People proactively say this is what they want.  If Bruce does what they want -- they applaud it.  If he doesn't -- they slam it.    It's very simple.  Having said that, I don't think you can generalize a FA crop now.  It has to play out.  It hasn't played out yet. 

 

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

My main problem with Hankins is last year he had a good offer on the table to stay with the stacked Giants line, they definitely wanted him back but ended up signing a late deal with the Colts (who when they hear the name - Colts do you think defense?)  - mostly because most of the better slots had gone. And now he finds himself out of work again and he was released late into free agency and he is still dawdling around teams looking for a monster contract - where most teams with money have already made their acquisitions.. Maybe he should move on from the Potson to an actual sports agent   

He pocketed 14.5 mil for a year of play, can sign another fat contract for 3 years, and then sign another contract after that.  I doubt he’s too upset with his agent, lol. 

Not sure I agree that visiting one team and not signing immediately equals dawdling.  My dad (who was a walking dictionary) used that word all the time when I was a kid, and now that I’ve got 3 of my own, I’d like to think I have a pretty good idea of what it really means, lol.  

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

:hitfan:

I wasn't but now that you say that.  More :hitfan:.

 

...a wise man once said.

Sorry man, haha.  Maybe I should go put on Always Look on the Bright Side of Life from Life of Brian.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Hankins would really tie the room together. I agree with others, 10M or less then yes. More than 10 M ... id wait to see who else gets cut or draft. 

 

Scandrick - any details yet? Max at 10M for 2 so Im guessing its really 3M per. I think you need a vet/player coach.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CTskin said:

Fair. If he's asking for the $12M+/yr (while still collecting a check from the Colts) then yea I'll pass. But if he's asking for $10-$12M, what he's worth, then Bruce did this team a serious disservice. 

 

 

I have a hard time thinking them not signing him even at a high cost was a bad move. The colts just released him and it didn’t hurt thier cap. They could get creative and make it work for 12 this year and be out of the deal next year if they wanted to and it cost them only a few million this season. Or they could keep him if he earns that check, how many guys get released early on these deals anyway? Tons of them. I’m not suggesting we go into this thinking it’s a one year deal my point is I don’t look at the numbers and think it’s not worth it or not. Devils in the details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Free agency with Bruce is like going to the candy store with your grandma. So many delicious options, but you know we're walking out with Werthers.

 

Werthers a will theres a way. 

 

Sorry  this lack of DT news is ridiculous.  Maybe we'll bring Jerry Ball out of retirement. 

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I admit I haven't paid attention to Sylvester Williams as an option.   Purely as to reading about him -- he doesn't get me jazzed.  He will be 30 during the season.  Tennessee papers said he was disappointing.  PFF graded him as average.

 

I'd take him over nothing.   But with Hankins getting 9 million a year last year...if per chance he is in the same boat this time (and clearly I don't know one way or another)...I'd take him at 9 over Williams at lets say 5 million.  I am not a big fan at least in theory of 30 year old noses coming off of an off year versus getting a young potential building block who looks to be clearly the better player.

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I admit I haven't paid attention to Sylvester Williams as an option.   Purely as to reading about him -- he doesn't get me jazzed.  He will be 30 during the season.  Tennessee papers said he was disappointing.  PFF graded him as average.

 

I'd take him over nothing.    With Hankins getting 9 million a year last year.  If he is in the same boat this time (and clearly I don't know one way or another).  I'd take him at 9 over Williams at lets say 5 million.  I am not a big fan at least in theory in 30 year old noses coming off of an off year versus getting a young potential building block who looks to be clearly the better player.

 

Skins are clearly in a wait and see mode.  They are bringing in released players only hoping for more DT/NT fall into their laps just as Hankins did and want to make a deal, except on the cheap and not lose their comp. picks.  It's so apparent to see a 2 year old could see it.  :)

Edited by RWJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

 

A player in his 20's does not care that we won a Super Bowl in 1983.  To players today we are not close to a winning franchise.  

 

Do they care about 1987 or 1991? So Cowboy players care? I mean a player in his 20's really should only care about winning now, because Now is what you are apart of. That said this is not a losing franchise, just currently a lost one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

 

I have a hard time thinking them not signing him even at a high cost was a bad move. The colts just released him and it didn’t hurt thier cap. They could get creative and make it work for 12 this year and be out of the deal next year if they wanted to and it cost them only a few million this season. Or they could keep him if he earns that check, how many guys get released early on these deals anyway? Tons of them. I’m not suggesting we go into this thinking it’s a one year deal my point is I don’t look at the numbers and think it’s not worth it or not. Devils in the details

 

Hmm.. I guess it's not possible that he is not willing to sign a similar contract since - well he git unceremoniously dumped by the Colts after one season. Also, it cost the Colts over $10M, not "just a few million". His other $4.5M guaranteed was for injury so they were able to drop him without any dead cap - good for them. 

 

Back to Hankins - why would he put himself in the same situation next year where he could be out looking for a job in March and April for a 3rd yearf in a row instead of spending time with his family during one the best off times of the year? 

 

People always only want to look at it in a vacuum from the teams standpoint - just trade the pick - to who? Just give him a team friendly deal - and why would the player sign it? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not Hankins but a "good get" for Washington(according to Rotoworld). Ah, don't you just love the English Language

 

Free agent NT Sylvester Williams is visiting the Redskins on Tuesday.

Williams was released by the Titans over the weekend, but that had more to do with his salary than level of play. In desperate need of a real nose tackle, Williams would be a good get for Washington.
 
 
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I know is the front office better be doing whatever it takes to be able to lock down both Scherff and Smith a year from now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bedlamVR said:

My main problem with Hankins is last year he had a good offer on the table to stay with the stacked Giants line, they definitely wanted him back but ended up signing a late deal with the Colts (who when they hear the name - Colts do you think defense?)  - mostly because most of the better slots had gone. And now he finds himself out of work again and he was released late into free agency and he is still dawdling around teams looking for a monster contract - where most teams with money have already made their acquisitions.. Maybe he should move on from the Poston to an actual sports agent   

 

Key point bolded.  Carl Poston and that agent group are still considered terrible to deal with by teams in the league.

 

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2004-08-01/sports/0408010071_1_kevin-poston-signing-bonus-carl-poston

 

They might be the most feared defenders in the NFL at the moment, and they don't even strap on pads. But Carl and Kevin Poston, the brother agents, once again have rocked league negotiators with exorbitant contract demands.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RWJ said:

 

Skins are clearly in a wait and see mode.  They are bringing in released players only hoping for more DT/NT fall into their laps just as Hankins did and want to make a deal, except on the cheap and not lose their comp. picks.  It's so apparent to see a 2 year old could see it.  :)

 

So much of this offseason is being driven by the Kirk 3rd round comp, so they can say they won. It's an ego thing, like it always is. the fear of losing that comp pick is driving some decisions. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

He pocketed 14.5 mil for a year of play, can sign another fat contract for 3 years, and then sign another contract after that.  I doubt he’s too upset with his agent, lol. 

1

 

Yeah but isn't it better NOT to get dumped just the other side of big money free agent window (better agent perhaps) - He got 10 milion was due to pocket $8.5 million this year and next...the additional 4.5 million guarantee was due - um Sunday. I actually don't think 8.5 mil per is unreasonable and I am actually surprised the Colts did not try and shop him around if they were thinking of cutting him  . 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Hankins thing is interesting in that four years ago if he entered the building he would never leave.   Now the team is willing to let people leave.

 

Why?

 

What has clearly changed in how we deal with free agents is that we do not identify and target people in a specific priority order as before where we'd lay out our top 5 targets and generally get all and consider it a win.   Now we have 5 targets for every position.   And we are looking for value and contracts.   Now, I'd get Hankins, PERIOD.   It's not even a question.   Given his age and size and fit for the defense we run he's a no brainer to me.   But the Skins are clearly in the mode of, "I can give this guy $10 million a year or this guy $5 million."    It's likely Williams, while not as good a player, may be close enough to merit that sort of cap difference.

Scandrick, a PLAYER I HATE, is a player we signed while letting DRC wander about.   Both are pretty much the same player.   We are clearly not doing a ton of reaching when we engage free agents the last few years.   I can't say I particularly like, or hate it, but there is clearly a method to how they approach things now that differs from before.   Even looking at Alex Smith, who we have at a cap hit that ranks like No. 19 and No. 18 the next two years at the QB position, you can see the team is trying to target hit to value in their equations to at least some degree.

So you have Cousins at the No. 1 hit, or Smith at No. 19.   You have Hankins at the No. 18 hit or Williams at No. 82.   Whatever.   That's clearly something they are doing now they never did before.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, benskins26 said:

 

So much of this offseason is being driven by the Kirk 3rd round comp, so they can say they won. It's an ego thing, like it always is. the fear of losing that comp pick is driving some decisions. 

I dunno. I think keeping a death grip on the  comp is at least partly our imagination. There certainly is no bragging rights to being awarded the highest comp pick. I just think that we had a decent amount of cap, but not carloads and Bruce is very budget conscious. I think, we the fans, have made the comp pick into a huge thing because in our own minds we want something back for Cousins and this is the only possibility.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If we're going to sign a JAG like Williams then get rid of the JAGs we already have at that position.

 

Please, no more JAGs on the D line.

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I dunno. I think keeping a death grip on the  comp is at least partly our imagination. There certainly is no bragging rights to being awarded the highest comp pick. I just think that we had a decent amount of cap, but not carloads and Bruce is very budget conscious. I think, we the fans, have made the comp pick into a huge thing because in our own minds we want something back for Cousins and this is the only possibility.

 

I would go further to say this is total figment of many people imaginations. The comp pick is a consolation prize and you do not know what you are going to get. Why would you keep from signing an established player that you can help your team to save a comp pick that you have no idea can help you? 

 

It just makes no sense what so ever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, goskins10 said:

 

I would go further to say this is total figment of many people imaginations. The comp pick is a consolation prize and you do not know what you are going to get. Why would you keep from signing an established player that you can help your team to save a comp pick that you have no idea can help you? 

 

It just makes no sense what so ever. 

 

Agreed, it makes no sense. BUT, we're talking about Bruce Allen. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I dunno. I think keeping a death grip on the  comp is at least partly our imagination. There certainly is no bragging rights to being awarded the highest comp pick. I just think that we had a decent amount of cap, but not carloads and Bruce is very budget conscious. I think, we the fans, have made the comp pick into a huge thing because in our own minds we want something back for Cousins and this is the only possibility.

 

Not sure where the death grip on the comp picks coming from if we are talking either Williams or Hankins as both were released cut players and those don’t count against comp picks. Both could be signed and they not effect comp Cousins pick in the slightest. To me the issue with them not getting that third round pick resolved itself since they traded for Alex Smith as traded for players also don’t have any effect on those comp picks either

 

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

 

Great resource for anyone wondering today what picks they could get next year but remember Junior Gillate, Breeland and Terrell Pryor are still out there and more likely then not going to play next season somewhere who will factor this in as well. If they are resigned then no picks, if they go elsewhere they likely will get picks for that.

 

Thats why this matters, something is coming back to them because they couldn’t possibly sign them all back with the limited cap space they were working with 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, benskins26 said:

 

So much of this offseason is being driven by the Kirk 3rd round comp, so they can say they won. It's an ego thing, like it always is. the fear of losing that comp pick is driving some decisions. 

 

they're also tight on cap money and likely trying to keep all their potential comp picks since this team has been trying to build in the draft and also comp picks are now tradeable

7 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

If we're going to sign a JAG like Williams then get rid of the JAGs we already have at that position.

 

Please, no more JAGs.

 

so cut around 40 members of the team?  I swear this board went from calling ever average player mediocre to calling them JAGs.  and it is annoying

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still trying to figure out if Sylvester Williams is 29 years old. Wikipedia and other sites say 1988 birth year. That would have made him 24.5 years old when he was drafted. Doesn't add up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

 

Not sure where the death grip on the comp picks coming from if we are talking either Williams or Hankins as both were released cut players and those don’t count against comp picks. Both could be signed and they not effect comp Cousins pick in the slightest. To me the issue with them not getting that third round pick resolved itself since they traded for Alex Smith as traded for players also don’t have any effect on those comp picks either

 

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

 

 

they're saying the Skins are only looking at released guys because they want comp picks.  Like there were a ton of nose tackles available before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.