• Blog Entries

• By JimmiJo in ES Coverage
      ES Coverage Cowboys vs Redskins 2019

9/15/19

Do I look like I'm playing? I'm not playing. This is the Washington Redskins versus the Dallas Cowboys. If you are a fan of this game, and this one does not get you excited you might want to check your pulse.

Hello my friends it is I, JimmiJo, back for another year of this wonderful thing we call Redskins Football. This makes season 14 for me. I am joined by The Spaceman Spiff who will hereafter be known as "The Spaceman Spiff." 

Where's that dude that gets the big tattoos on his back? There's his next one.

So how important is this game? I don't know. What is the different between 1-1 and 0-2? The difference between batting .500 and zippy?

Throw in that this is their 2nd division game to start the year AND a home game and you have a critical match.

And once again they contend with critical injuries to start the year. Last year it was  their rookie star running back. This year its their 2nd year star...well you get the rest.  Darrius Guice is gone and not coming back this year. I think this really hurts him moving forward. Not sure who will build a scheme around him given his first two seasons.

So it is down to the veteran Adrian Peterson. I have no worries of ring rust for hum. None whatsoever. He knows what to do.

Anyway, almost time. Please share your thoughts.

Stand by...

Inactives

The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:
      o   No. 12 QB Colt McCoy
      o   No. 23 CB Quinton Dunbar
      o   No. 31 Fabian Moreau
      o   No. 64 C Ross Pierschbacher
      o   No. 67 G Wes Martin
      o   No. 86 TE Jordan Reed
      o   No. 93 DT Jonathan Allen

The Cowboys declared the following players as inactive:
      o   No. 10 WR Tavon Austin
      o   No. 37 S Donovan Wilson
      o   No. 57 LB Luke Gifford
      o   No. 61 C Adam Redmond
      o   No. 69 G Brandon Knight
      o   No. 79 DT Trysten Hill
      o   No. 97 DE Taco Charlton

Follow along in-game at Twitter @Skinscast 

JimmiJo

Head coach Jay Gruden said it is not time to press the panic button when asked if staff changes could occur on the defensive coaching staff. It may not be for him, but he might want to pay attention to the sounds coming from the owners suite at Redskins Park.

For example the sound of shouting and heavy objects striking walls could portend an early offseason for someone.

The Washington Redskins are now 0-2 to start the season. They are 0-2 in the division.

If that is not panic-inducing, they face a Chicago Bears football team (themselves in need of a solid win) on Monday Night Football next. A series they do not typically do well on.

In both games to open the campaign the winning teams had the game well in hand at the start of the fourth quarter, despite Washington taking leads in each of the games.

Against Dallas, the team began well again; taking a 7-0 lead into the second quarter. This was not quite the 17-0 start they had in Philadelphia. Nor did it take until halftime for the Cowboys to adjust.

It happened on Dallas’ fourth drive. Starting at their own 3-yard line at 9:44 in the 2nd period, the Cowboys employed a combination of runs up the middle and quick outs in the flats and sideline to advance the ball 97-yards in 7 plays and tie the game.

Following a three-and-out by Washington, Dallas went 74-yards on 11-plays to take the 14-7 lead at halftime.

The 3rd Quarter began with the Cowboys receiving the ball at their own 25. Nine plays  and 75-yards later they were leading 21-7.

The Redskins made it interesting with their own 11-play, 70-yard drive to cut he lead to 7.

But Dallas responded with a field goal. And would add another touchdown in the fourth quarter to extend the lead to 17.

Washington’s consolation score with just under 3-minutes remaining allowed rookie Terry McLaurin to add a touchdown to his debut season.

The Redskins have developed a reputation for not responding well to adjustments. They had little answer for the adjustments Dallas made to their offense. Ditto the game in Philadelphia.

In both, Washington had a lead to protect and could not.

Coming into the season the defense was expected to the be the strength of the team. Yet in two games they have surrendered 910 yards (445 per game) and 63 points. Not exactly setting the world on fire.

Statistically the Redskins defense are near the bottom in points allowed and yards surrendered.

The coach wants to blame injuries. Not only the their excellent young nose tackle in Jonathan Allen, but also to the secondary which has already gone significant realignment to accommodate injuries to Quinton Dunbar and Fabian Moreau.

Still, with the specter of a season going off the rails after only two games, the fans want someone to blame.

Wont be the quarterback. Case Keenum has completed 68.2 percent of his passes. He has thrown 3 touchdowns against no interceptions.
      Ditto other skill positions. Adrian Peterson did not his best outing but the team abandoned the run early. The receivers are doling their own, with guys like McLaurin shining.

And as bad as the collapse was last week and the home loss this, it feels too early to call for the head coach.

That leaves those in charge of the defense. Specifically, Defensive Coordinator Greg Manusky.

Fan ire seems more and more to be falling on Manusky, if sentiment on twitter and sports radio means anything.

But they don’t decide who stays and who leaves. That is the job of the head coach who so far, is backing his guy.

But there is a higher authority at Redskins Park. Legend has it owner Daniel Snyder once put a gallon of vanilla ice cream outside a Redskins defensive coordinator’s door following a poor performance by the defense.  

Given the start to this season, Manusky could be hearing the ice cream truck in his sleep. And that would be better than what many of the fans are wishing for him.

DC9

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

6 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I believe the 'prorated' part is the guaranteed money - 3 mil for each of the 3 remaining years of his contract.   

That's correct.  That's the part that would become dead cap if we were to cut him in any of those years.  An outright cut would incur 9m in 2018.  And I should edit my previous post about pickup up 14m in savings.  That's only if it's a June 1 cut.  If outright cut, the cap saving would only be 8m.  I hope he's open to renegotiation and a lowering of his salary demands this offseason in order to sign others.  Kinda doubt it though.

We can definitely push money out (turning it into bonuses) if he agrees, but doesn't that just push the dead money hit till later, as well as add to the cap hit later?  

Yep, that's what's called restructuring - where future salary is turned into signing bonus and pushes out cap consequences down the road.  This was a typical Vinny move which we've gotten away from when Bruce came along (his only saving grace, IMO).

The good news is that we're mostly looking to add/keep smaller contracts - Foster, Hopkins, maybe Murphy, etc.  So while we only have a little leeway, we should be able to retain who we want (besides a few guys, Breeland in particular) with small adjustments/cuts.  Of course that means we are pretty much out of the running for a higher priced FA (NT, receiver, LG). Not great to go into the draft with needs, but at least we have some options there - they're just far from ideal at the moment - in Hood, Kalis/Koaundijo/Catalina, Harris/Davis.  

Everything hinges on what we do with Kirk, as you know.  We can be players for some higher end FAs if he goes, but barely a player if he signs - even if it's on a LTD structured in a way to get a low 2018 cap hit..  I'm on record for not wanting any tag.  That said, not gonna turn this into a Kirk thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carex said:

I'd rather just try to renegotiate Norman's contract.  And cutting someone to try to re-sign someone sounds like a good way to lose both

Same here. Him, Trent and Kerrigan. Switch 5mil from each ones 2018 base salary into bonus and we get 10mil in 2018 space. Granted that's taken from 2019 and 2020 but I'd do it.

54 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Same here. Him, Trent and Kerrigan. Switch 5mil from each ones 2018 base salary into bonus and we get 10mil in 2018 space. Granted that's taken from 2019 and 2020 but I'd do it.

Could they also/instead take a portion of this years salary, convert it to guaranteed money, and then replace part of their future salary with it?  

So, if we take 5 million of Norman's current year, and convert it to guaranteed money due next year, Norman loses out on the 5 million, but now he's guaranteed 8 million in 2019 - making him less likely to be cut that year (in which case he pockets the full 15.5 or whatever he's signed for), and owed more money if he is.  Means a bit less potential earning for him, but more stability.  

Thats essentially how I'd like to see us treat Cousins - offer him a lesser annual salary in exchange for higher guarantees i.e. more stability for him and more cap space for us.  I wouldn't be keen on this model for an outside FA (it's burned us before), but I have faith that Kirk isn't the type to let that backfire.  

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

Thats essentially how I'd like to see us treat Cousins - offer him a lesser annual salary in exchange for higher guarantees i.e. more stability for him and more cap space for us.  I wouldn't be keen on this model for an outside FA (it's burned us before), but I have faith that Kirk isn't the type to let that backfire.  

25M annually with 75M guarantees.  I feel like this offsets the lower APY but would also be a tremendous win for Kirk, his agent, and the players after Kirk when it comes  to contracts. 

The chances I see Bruce even thinking about such an idea, 0.

• Like 1

Why not just cut Norman and designate as a June 1st deal. Paying a 30 year old that much money doesn't make any sense to do when a 25 year old playing the same position is walking out the door so the older player can stay. I'd rather cut Norman, put that money owed him into Bree, lock him up for 3 years and if they save anything end of day use that on no one. 

Signing a teams own FA's doesn't hurt that team in the compensatory pick evaluation. As long as they don't sign other teams players. That's all that matters

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Why not just cut Norman and designate as a June 1st deal. Paying a 30 year old that much money doesn't make any sense to do when a 25 year old playing the same position is walking out the door so the older player can stay. I'd rather cut Norman, put that money owed him into Bree, lock him up for 3 years and if they save anything end of day use that on no one. 

Signing a teams own FA's doesn't hurt that team in the compensatory pick evaluation. As long as they don't sign other teams players. That's all that matters

first Breeland has no obligation to us so he could leave anyway.  Second Breeland is good, Norman is better.  Excuse the hyperbole but it would be close to cutting Darrell Green to retain Fred Smoot

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Could they also/instead take a portion of this years salary, convert it to guaranteed money, and then replace part of their future salary with it?  

So, if we take 5 million of Norman's current year, and convert it to guaranteed money due next year, Norman loses out on the 5 million, but now he's guaranteed 8 million in 2019 - making him less likely to be cut that year (in which case he pockets the full 15.5 or whatever he's signed for), and owed more money if he is.  Means a bit less potential earning for him, but more stability.  

Norman isn't taking a pay cut, no chance. I mean if he was cut someone will probably give him more than we are going to.

10 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Only problem with this is the funds from a June 1 cut don't actually hit the cap for use until June 2 and I doubt Breeland would wait 2 and a half months for the Skins to sign him.. He'll have plenty of suitors..  Starting corners are hard to come by.  My guess is he'll get signed by someone early once the FA bell rings on 3/14.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Norman isn't taking a pay cut, no chance. I mean if he was cut someone will probably give him more than we are going to.

I tend to agree (Williams and Kerrigan might be more open to it... maybe).  However, it’s exchanging a lower salary for more guarantees... so there is some upside for him as well, just maybe not enough.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

I tend to agree (Williams and Kerrigan might be more open to it... maybe).  However, it’s exchanging a lower salary for more guarantees... so there is some upside for him as well, just maybe not enough.  

All that being said, I think we are fine with the space we have this year. 

37 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Thanks for that last part.  

As to the first part - it was already answered, but...

4.5 mil in dead cap, plus Breeland making 8 mil, subtracted from Norman’s 17 mil cap hit means we’re saving 4.5 for a lesser player.  Next year it would be 15.5 - 12.5 (4.5 + 8), So we save 3 for a lesser player.  That’s assuming Breeland commands 8, could easily be more than that (though perhaps a bit less).  Add to that, as far as intangibles, I personally like what Norman brings to the team more than Breeland.  It’s not an easy choice though IMO, and I’d at least explore what Breeland wants first.  If Cousins signs a LTD though, we likely don’t have the money to even try that route (though I suppose the rule of 51 may allow us to).  

Edit:  @UK SKINS FAN '74 Could you explain what you mean by ‘fine’ this year?  Like, we could rework things and sign Cousins, Brown, a few others as well as a good/pricey FA?  Or fine like Cousins probably won’t be signed so we’ll have plenty of money?

Edited by skinny21

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

His deal states that as of March 18, 2018 his contract for 2018 is fully guaranteed... so if im not mistaken, designating it for June 1 would still qualify as he would technically be on the roster as of March 18, thus we save $0 because the contract is paid anyways.. If we dont cut him prior to March 18, then we dont cut him at all.  

57 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

not suggesting a pay cut.  Just moving the money around

8 hours ago, carex said:

McClain can be a June 1 cut to split his cap cost between this year and next, and you're allowed to do two of them at the start of free agency

His salary for 2018 is guaranteed, and that hit isn't spread out even if he's cut after June 1. So, cutting him after June 1 and replacing him with a minimum salary player would actually cost us cap (not a lot, but the main point is it certainly doesn't benefit us), while still carrying over a 2.5 mil dead cap hit to 2019.

56 minutes ago, carex said:

not suggesting a pay cut.  Just moving the money around

I was replying to @skinny21post who I thought was suggesting a cut, using the phrase replace future base salary with deferred money from 2018, but gtd that deferment as a means of tempting Norman with gtd 2019 money instead of non gtd salary. May have picked that up wrong.

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

Edit:  @UK SKINS FAN '74 Could you explain what you mean by ‘fine’ this year?  Like, we could rework things and sign Cousins, Brown, a few others as well as a good/pricey FA?  Or fine like Cousins probably won’t be signed so we’ll have plenty of money?

The numbers out there are all guess work, but if you assume we've got 50mil in the tank then we will need a good 20mil+for RFA, draftees, Bruce loves 10mil contingency etc.  So we've maybe got 25mil in other usable space.

I personally don't think the FA crop is great. I'd like Brown back. IF we also re-sign Cousins the space is all but gone. I think we'd hit WR and RB high in the draft to keep Cousins happy. The rest of the moves would be small change in context. You get a similar outcome if Cousins goes and we bring another vet in. Alex Smith will be getting 20mil plus. We'd just have to draft damn well.

Another alternative is that we roll with McCoy and a first round QB. If that were the case then we'd have that Cousins/other vet QB cap space free. So you've got 25mil plus to spend. Brown, maybe one of the top DT's would drop 8-10mil, target Norwell although I'd be amazed he doesn't land with the Giants, maybe target a safety. I still think we need to go WR and RB in the draft anyway.

I just dont think we need more cap space. Once the tags are handed out and 3 or 4 big hitters get LTDs the rest will be an expensive wash. Wait and see all these 4 year 35mil deals get doled out and be thankful it's not us doing it.

@UK SKINS FAN '74Gotcha.  I’m pretty much in the same boat.  I think the team will be fine if we re-sign Cousins and Brown and a few of the cheaper guys, even if I’d love to add Norwell or one of the top NTs or a decent receiver.  

With that said, we’ll improve just by getting our guys healthy, young guys improving, and finding a few contributors via the draft and UDFA.  

• Like 1

I'm not sure there is THAT much of a difference between Norman and Breeland right now. I'd rather keep Breeland who's younger and will probably be cheaper. Good organizations would resign Breeland and cut Norman. Then again we're STILL keeping Deangelo Hall who should have been cut three years ago at least.

32 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm not sure there is THAT much of a difference between Norman and Breeland right now. I'd rather keep Breeland who's younger and will probably be cheaper. Good organizations would resign Breeland and cut Norman. Then again we're STILL keeping Deangelo Hall who should have been cut three years ago at least.

I'm pretty sure there is.  I mean just last year people were still willing to give up on Breeland

1 hour ago, carex said:

I'm pretty sure there is.  I mean just last year people were still willing to give up on Breeland

If we went with people’s reactions to players, we’d never be able to field a team, lol.  Breeland has some struggles last year and ups and downs this year - I’m not sure if he’s worth a hefty price tag.  With that said, I’d at least find out what he’s asking for and offer a potential match in FA.  

Honestly, I’d be far more likely to consider that option (keeping Breeland over Norman) if I had more faith in Breeland as a person.  Don’t want to be too hard on the guy, but Norman has shown he’ll still work hard and have the same fiery passion after getting paid.  I can’t say that about Breeland (and some of his antics, while mild, have turned me off).  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, carex said:

first Breeland has no obligation to us so he could leave anyway.  Second Breeland is good, Norman is better.  Excuse the hyperbole but it would be close to cutting Darrell Green to retain Fred Smoot

the average peaking age is 27 for the position and age plays a huge part in this and is the only force saying consider it.

Yes Norman is better that’s not the long range outlook though that’s what I was saying 

http://socalledfantasyexperts.com/aging-curve-nfl-defensive-players-dl-lb-db

At age 30 three years past the average peaking age for the position letting a good 25 year old go to keep the older player at such a high price doesn’t seem the way to go.

This rebuild is going to take a few years to happen 

29 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

the average peaking age is 27 for the position and age plays a huge part in this and is the only force saying consider it.

Yes Norman is better that’s not the long range outlook though that’s what I was saying 

http://socalledfantasyexperts.com/aging-curve-nfl-defensive-players-dl-lb-db

At age 30 three years past the average peaking age for the position letting a good 25 year old go to keep the older player at such a high price doesn’t seem the way to go.

This rebuild is going to take a few years to happen 

we're not doing a rebuild. and the best last longer than the average.  Releasing Norman to re-sign Breeland is a flat out dumb idea

7 hours ago, carex said:

we're not doing a rebuild. and the best last longer than the average.  Releasing Norman to re-sign Breeland is a flat out dumb idea

If you don’t think this teams rebuilding then I guess we aren’t watching the same game. This team is seriously years from being a serious contender for the title. It needs many pieces to be considered serious in the league

There is a reason why the better teams don’t find themselves strapped paying 20 million to a 30 year old corner. That’s a luxury very very few teams can afford and at 7-9 we just aren’t one of them.

When the peaking age of the player is three years ago and we’ve all seen the beginnings of the decline in Norman’s play already showing signs of happening to let a guy a team drafted and is 5 years younger go to keep the aging star is a dumb idea. The only teams that don’t make this decision are the ones on the doorstep to a championship who have a home town hero worth considering and Norman is not that for us. He’s on a long list of rented guys and on a short list of guys who played well here but age is the issue and no one beats Father Time. Not even the great ones

12 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

If you don’t think this teams rebuilding then I guess we aren’t watching the same game. This team is seriously years from being a serious contender for the title. It needs many pieces to be considered serious in the league

There is a reason why the better teams don’t find themselves strapped paying 20 million to a 30 year old corner. That’s a luxury very very few teams can afford and at 7-9 we just aren’t one of them.

When the peaking age of the player is three years ago and we’ve all seen the beginnings of the decline in Norman’s play already showing signs of happening to let a guy a team drafted and is 5 years younger go to keep the aging star is a dumb idea. The only teams that don’t make this decision are the ones on the doorstep to a championship who have a home town hero worth considering and Norman is not that for us. He’s on a long list of rented guys and on a short list of guys who played well here but age is the issue and no one beats Father Time. Not even the great ones

whether we need a rebuild or not is not the question.  The question is are we going to do one and the answer is no

9 minutes ago, carex said:

whether we need a rebuild or not is not the question.  The question is are we going to do one and the answer is no

So I’m speaking to the owner or the GM now? I don’t pretend to know what they are going to do, I just post what makes the most sense to do.