Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

11 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Anybody else find this odd?  I mean Hawks having a fire sale to get under the cap and Dallas looking to trade/cut Dez to get the cap down.  Smells like its agent generated....:kickcan:

Seattle is really turning things over. In short the way they were successful is that they drafted a QB late who played well, hit on a few other defensive picks and could spend like crazy on D. Now that Wilson is earning the money he deserves they need to purge all older contracts and start building again. 

Currently they are $27.5M under the cap and if Avril retires that's another ~$7M created. IMO they want to rebuild that OL and re-establish their running game. 

For Dallas they need something. They have just kicked the Lawrence long term deal down the road and would probably want an alternative if he leaves next year. Suh could be that guy. He's a massive difference maker and in a penetrating role could be dominant again. 

Just now, clskinsfan said:

I agree with you on Burfict. But Suh is not Albert ****ing Haynesworth. Not even close.

Maybe not as much of a head case - fair enough. But he is still a problem, at least to me. I have never been a fan. I think he is over-rated and will be over priced - that's where I see the similarity - 

So I agree AH was a much bigger POS than Suh but still am not interested. 

3 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Maybe not as much of a head case - fair enough. But he is still a problem, at least to me. I have never been a fan. I think he is over-rated and will be over priced - that's where I see the similarity - 

So I agree AH was a much bigger POS than Suh but still am not interested. 

We will get in Suh for a visit take him for a steak dinner. Take him to Redskins Park tell him where they want him to play on the DL and then Allen will come in and offer Suh a $1m deal with the chance to make it up to $1.2m if he behaves. 

HTTR 

4 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Vikings working on trading for Trevor semian. Guessing as a backup 

I wondered what they were going to do about losing all three QBs,  You don't want a UDFA backing up their guy

Why on Earth did we give up Fuller??!?!??

On a side note, I heard on ESPN Suh is basically looking for highest bidder. Frankly, I would wrap up FA with Suh and Zach Brown and be happy. But, not for over 15 mil per Suh

40 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Im really not a fan of our offseason moves thus far. I feel like this is vintage Dan Snyder Circa early 2000's, everything just feels off and very Deja vu , Anyone else feel this way?

Were you actually a fan back then?  Because if it was early 2000s feeling, we'd have 5 big name, but past their prime, free agents already inked and on paper we'd look like an all-star team.  We would then go on to suck.  Right now it feels like the OPPOSITE of that really.

9 hours ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

So possibly 2 years of McCoy and then be starting a rookie QB?  I'm not saying that wouldn't be the best thing for the organization...but to say people would be "pumped" about it is quite a stretch.  Hell, people are pissed when the Skins don't win games by enough points and others (maybe the same people) are ****ting their pants about the upcoming season on day 1 of FA.  I don't think this fan base has the patience you think it does.  ;) 

No, you’re right, the fanbase doesn’t in general, but I personally don’t care what “the fanbase” thinks. And I wouldn’t make that the main point to latch onto @ConnSKINS26‘s post about, though he did start with “we’d be pumped”, so I could see why you did. 

There were some of the smartest people on this board saying the best options regarding the QB situation were, for years now, in order of best case to worst case:

1) That they figure out how to retain Kirk long term. 

2) If they knew they didn’t want to give him what he was asking or couldn’t, tag and trade him, while looking for a guy in the draft to develop as they let McCoy hold the fort down and build the rest of the team up with the major cap savings they’d gain as a result of that. 

3) Tag and trade Kirk, then sign a vet in FA to maintain strength of passing game while drafting another to develop behind him. 

The absolute worst case that we mentioned was what happened. Losing Kirk for nothing, trading for a vet QB, signing him to a fairly expensive contract himself, and losing more resources (3rd and Fuller) in the process. I mean... ugh. 

Jay (once again showing he’s one of the most competent people within the building) even says here (from Keim today) that he was fine with the number two plan once it was clear they were moving on from Kirk (doesn’t mention tag and trade aspect of it, but obviously he wouldn’t have been against gaining something): 

“I had a good feeling we were going to move on,” Gruden said.

He just didn’t know the avenue they’d go down: trade or free agency.

“Plus we had Colt [McCoy] and I felt good about Colt and maybe drafting [a quarterback], which I would have been fine with,” Gruden said.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35935/jay-gruden-alex-smiths-mobility-can-help-change-offense

It’s not hard to see just how bad the resource management regarding this entire ordeal is. This isn’t about Kirk vs. Alex. Just strictly about resource management. 

Of course, many fans aren’t as ridiculously hardcore as those of us who’ve spent an exorbitant amount of time on ES for years now learning about the intricacies of the NFL at an organizational level. So it’s expected they’d be more surface-oriented and complain either way, or target the wrong people, or be total homers and expect things to always work out. We’ve all been there. But there is much more nuance to it all and that’s what’s great about ES as a discussion board. We can delve into that nuance. :) 

Also, from the same article, I wanted to show this as I believe it dispels some of the conflation that exists with Jay’s role at Redskins Park and those above him: 

“I was surprised, very surprised [by the trade],” he said. “It did just kind of pop up. Unfortunately we lost Kendall. We love Kendall. But the chance to get a quarterback in here for the next four, five, six years is exciting.”

eh I'm totally fine with what they did IMO

Alex Smith was a traded player who doesn't hurt compensatory picks, if they signed any free agent QB that isn't the case. By going with Alex they protected that comp pick they will get for Kirk. Some people actually you know believe that Alex Smith is a good QB, just one opinion

He gives praise to Kirk and to Alex in this but ranks Alex above Kirk in his rankings. He isn't alone and is just one opinion

So like if they went with Colt McCoy the season was over before it ever began, Colt McCoy is a swell guy to take hunting with but to lead an NFL team for a season? No, he sucks. Horrible decision. Throwing the season in the trash before it even starts, the season after Kirk leaves...would be a horrendous thing to have done to the fans. Throwing out a rookie pick, probably Lamar Jackson...not this year. Too soon. 

You might as well strip the team bare of all vets and all talent on the team burned it to the ground and prayed. Football would have meant nothing at all this year. 

So anyway losing Fuller sucked. Nothing to say about that other then yea that sucked and wish him well.

Losing Kirk whatever honestly never want to give any player 90 million guaranteed money. He aint worth that and I don't care what the market is. Bad deal. 

Bruce Allen is a terrible GM who should be fired for many reasons including Kirk saga but not the only reasons. Like Bruce turned down free picks for Terrell Pryor last year from the Browns so he could put him on IR. Bruce is horrible, nothing good about that dirt bag and when he gets fired it will be a glorious day for the nation

But in this whole day of whining because its the start of Free Agency and the Redskins have been quiet, sitting back and just losing its own players the truth is that if the Grants and Murphy's of the world were any where what this forum thinks of them they wouldn't be getting paid like they have been.

The more guys they lose to high contracts the higher the picks they will get next year if they don't go sign a bunch of worthless losers like they did last year.

Alex is a good QB, no clue why that's even questioned. He led the Chiefs to 50 wins the past 5 seasons (Yea that's not because of Tyfreak and Hunt), and only lost 10 games as a 49er the last two seasons combined he was there. We are lucky to have him here, he's good. He is a bridge to getting out and away from the Kirk nonsense that is going to take years to get away from. He's a bridge and what they needed. 

All IMO :cheers:

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

@thesubmittedone

I read the last Jay quote as being surprised about the opportunity to trade for Smith, not him being unaware. 

Maybe, but the entire NFL knew Smith would likely be available, right? And within the same article Jay is quoted talking about numerous options and paths he was fine with. So it’s hard to think that’s what he meant taken within that context. Very hard. 

@bobandweave

Idk why anyone would try to argue that trading for Alex Smith helps us in the compensatory pick formula...the best pick you can gain is a late 3rd in the future...we gave up a current mid 3rd and a cost-controlled Kendall Fuller, also worth more than a future late 3rd. 

I'm not trying to make this about the Smith/Fuller trade again. Just arguing against the talking point that it was better to deal for him than sign him or any QB as a FA purely due to comp picks. That's insane to say. You should revoke that argument, it makes no sense. 

7 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

@bobandweave

Idk why anyone would try to argue that trading for Alex Smith helps us in the compensatory pick formula...the best pick you can gain is a late 3rd in the future...we gave up a current mid 3rd and a cost-controlled Kendall Fuller, also worth more than a future late 3rd. 

I'm not trying to make this about the Smith/Fuller trade again. Just arguing against the talking point that it was better to deal for him than sign him or any QB as a FA purely due to comp picks. That's insane to say. You should revoke that argument, it makes no sense. 

Conn because the way I see it with Kirk out of the picture they had 

Choice 1 - Colt McCoy

Choice 2 - Use the 13th overall pick on a QB

Choice 3 - Get one of the FA QBs

Choice 1 I think would have been a disaster, terrible player great person and not the answer

Choice 2 I think would have been a disaster, not in a good draft position to draft a good QB with them at 13. They would have been left likely with Lamar Jackson who might be good or might be a WR at this point. I don't trust them to elevate his game. This trade opened up pick 13 for other options and eliminated a chance Bruce could have traded up for a QB and gotten killed in the process doing it. 

Choice 3 I think would have been a disaster, none of them were better to me then Alex besides Drew Brees and every single one of them would have eliminated the 2019 third round comp pick for losing Kirk. 

Yea they lost a 2018 third round pick. By going with a traded QB they guaranteed themselves of getting that 3rd round pick in 2019. The rules for traded assets are different then the rules for free agent assets. By going with a traded QB the pick they gave up in 2018 is going to be replaced the next season in 2019. Its not perfect but I like that better then no 3rd round pick in 2019. 

What I want is for them to show restraint, sign guys back to the team, avoid any more other teams free agents ensuring they get the maximum 4 allowed comp picks in 2019, ride out this season and next year go into that draft with a ton of picks in the draft (11 or more). 

Just how I see it. 

Archived