Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The comp picks with a 7-9 2018 record and likely new head coach and GM (the GM change I wouldn't mind :))

Their defense wasn't hot to begin with but if they subtract their edge rushing depth, MLB, 2 of their three top corners -- hard for me to see how the defense is treading water let alone taking a step up.  We got to replace LG, too. 

Don't get me wrong I like to get comp picks everything being equal.  And with the number of players lost -- I think comp picks are a given, we are just talking about how many. 

But I don't think the season will go well if we lose that many players without making up some ground.   They are just talking about it now on NFL Network about how its going to be interesting to see what the Redskins do considering all the departures.  But the topic on NFL Network is wow that team has lost a lot of guys.   

Having said all of that, I am not pessimistic.  I think they got a few things up their sleeve.   If they ride the FA season without making at least a couple a more major moves -- there is a chance that Bruce won't be around to take advantage of the 2019 draft picks.  So I doubt he's that ballsy.  We will find out.

My prediction a big signing happens today or tomorrow.  :)

I believe there is at least one maybe two people that no one is talking about for the Redskins that we sign. If not, the draft could get interesting. Bills are looking like they are making a pitch to move up and get a QB. Every team that does that moves the non-QB guys down the list closer to 13! There could be someone really special left at 13 if enough QBs are taken. 

Just now, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

Makes sense I guess.  A little (cheap) insurance to see what happens in the draft and UDFA.  Would shock me if he doesn't make the final 53. 

It’s a strange move to me only in how little they used him. Even when our receivers were so often ineffective. 

14 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

That's right Jags, pay the man! I didn't think that Grant or Murph would generate a comp pick, so here's gift #3??

Comp pick counter (I don't remember ever doing this in years passed):

Cousins- 3rd

Bree- 5th cancelled out by PRich

Grant- 5th

Murph- 5th

Still waiting on Niles, Long, and Brown to potentially pick up two or three more. I assume we will sign a player or two to negate some of these guys, but still, three comp picks looks likely.

I know many of the comp pick haters think that there's no reason to get excited about "2019 late round picks," but these will also serve as trade bait and draft insurance. 

1 hour ago, skinsfan834 said:

especially for the contracts that they are likely to or have received thus far in FA. 

Agents aren't stupid, and with TV ratings going down, they are probably already looking down the road in a few years from now where Salary Cap will diminish and players won't be able to get that kind of money.

Especially second and third tier guys. Those are gonna have a tough time getting paid in a few years, because stars, will still make lots of money. I'm not sure a Ryan Grant type of guy will get what Grant got from the Ravens in 5/6 years. They'll probably get half of it if they're lucky.

So agents better have their players cash in now, than sign for low and expect a bigger payday in a few years.

1 hour ago, PortisBetts said:

I would love to know what the actual plan here is....so far all the Redskins have done is lose just about every free agent. I am having a hard time understanding anything they are doing....or not doing that is. 

I would love to know as well.

And somehow, I believe Bruce would too... Which is weird.

If they really wanted to sign some guys, they could have done it earlier. I'm not believing much of those sources that says we wanted to re-sign X or Y. Because we didn't waste time when we wanted to resign Dunbar. To me, it looks like we're lowballing everyone of our players to be FA, and see who signs and who doesn't. If he signs, we're cool, if he doesn't we say we wanted them...

I wouldn't be surprised to hear Bash, Murphy or Grant saying that they had a very low offer early this year from our FO. They never answered, there was never a second more decent offer, and then they just hit FA where they got paid.

That sound familiar...

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

It’s a strange move to me only in how little they used him. Even when our receivers were so often ineffective. 

I agree...but I bet he is really cheap, won't effect comp picks (if they care), and might not even make the roster (I edited my typo from "Would" to "Wouldn't" be surprise if he didn't make the final 53).

1 hour ago, dyst said:

We don't get high draft picks, we continue to win 7-9 games a year and get stuck in that odd place during the draft. I'm okay with a solid 3 years of getting top 3 picks and either using them or trading them for even more top 3 picks in later drafts. The team needs a complete burn down.

Winning 7-9 games every year is an pretty optimistic view of things.. but not necessarily accurate. Since 2000, the redskins have won 7 games or more 10 times. The other 8 were 6 wins or less. So this team has had plenty of lousy years where they've been in position for high picks. Far too many, I'd contend.

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Can't imagine Paul gets enough for a comp. pick. I didn't think so with Grant, either, but Paul seems far more unlikely.

Agreed. And he is the one player I hate losing because he is so effective on special teams. But you cant keep them all. And I am sure he is tired of sitting behind Reed and Davis.

9 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I believe there is at least one maybe two people that no one is talking about for the Redskins that we sign. If not, the draft could get interesting. Bills are looking like they are making a pitch to move up and get a QB. Every team that does that moves the non-QB guys down the list closer to 13! There could be someone really special left at 13 if enough QBs are taken. 

Agree.  I think signings are coming.

The idea that some say that good teams just don't play the FA game is somewhat passe. I wish I can find it but there was a good article written recently about how FA has become more effective and efficient thanks to the escalating cap -- giving you more room to spend and more room to recover from mistakes.  And certain teams like Jax have been smart as to using FA as a tool.   At least judging by twitter, GB, the Ravens and even NE are fishing for some of the bigger names. Not really the case in the same way years back.

I presume the Redskins are better at keeping it under wraps.  Will see. 

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Agreed. And he is the one player I hate losing because he is so effective on special teams. But you cant keep them all. And I am sure he is tired of sitting behind Reed and Davis.

Not to mention his injury proneness. Not Reed-type injuries, real man injuries. Love the guy's story, but he's 4th on the TE depth chart, can't pay that player real money.

30 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

So we've lost Fuller, Murphy, and Breeland. We are going to lose Brown, it looks like. So our **** defense is getting ****tier?

Well probably lose both Galette and Smith too. I'd like to bring back Galette because he was gaining his explosiveness back. We drafted and developed Smith so I don't expect these dumb ****s to re-sign him.

Archived