Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

7 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

You do realize Washington got something for a player they were going to cut anyway right?

oh wait, its only genius when the Eagles do it :rolleyes: 

Lol you're very knowledgeable 

Let me explain something to you. When you're as good as the Pats have been the last 12 years. You get a pass on a player or two that didn't pan out. 

When you suck for 30 years you dont.

So stop comparing the Skins to a elite organization. I'm sure that 5th rd pick the Skins got really worked out. I'm also sure the Pats could give 2 ****s about a 5th rd pick. When the probably had 10 picks in the draft.

So in other words I'll back the team looking to sign Murphy  ,because there organization at least gets it right 75%or the time compared to 5%.

11 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Jonathan Allen is why our role players looked good for the first month or so of 2017.  Allen was getting double-teamed almost from the very first snap he took as an NFL player and it made life easier for guys like Trent Murphy.  You can find 50 Trent Murphys for every 1 Jonathan Allen.  Jonathan Allen is the guy you need on the field so that the more modestly talented/paid guys such as Trent Murphy are able to get the pretty looking stats.

Trent didn't play a down for us last year.  In fact, except for Matt Ionaddis, I would say every redskin rusher who had a good season actually had good years pre-dating Allen

1 minute ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Ndamukong  Suh/ Sheldon Richardson

Honey Badger

Zach Brown

trade back in first round for Taven Bryan

Derius Guice in the 2nd

The cap number on Alex Smith will determine what exactly is doable. 

Just now, desertbeagle85 said:

Lol you're very knowledgeable 

Let me explain something to you. When you're as good as the Pats have been the last 12 years. You get a pass on a player or erected that didn't pan out. 

When you suck for 30 years you dont.

So stop comparing the Skins to a elite organization. I'm sure that 5th rd pick the Skins got really worked out. I'm also sure the Pats could give 2 ****s about a 5th rd pick. When the probably had 10 picks in the draft.

So in other words I'll back the team looking to sign Murphy  ,because there organization at least gets it right 75%or the time compared to 5%.

You don't need to mansplain anything to me.  Getting something for a player you are going to cut anyway is a GOOD thing.  I don't know how anyone can possibly spin that fact any other way.

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Those of you freaking out, this is a valid point

THis was my biggest point in the Bruce Allen thread - love him or hate him or call him the devil, the dude has turned this franchise from a FA focused one to a draft focused one and one that's drafting at least OK. 2014 was the one where Scot was a consultant and its probably his best draft. We'll see how 2017 turns out, but I'm much more in favor of using the draft over free agency particularly because of what we've seen the last two days - mediocre players getting massive deals. BA likes to underspend and get value picks and depend on the draft picks to build the team. I like that way as a major philosophy.

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

THis was my biggest point in the Bruce Allen thread - love him or hate him or call him the devil, the dude has turned this franchise from a FA focused one to a draft focused one and one that's drafting at least OK. 2014 was the one where Scot was a consultant and its probably his best draft. We'll see how 2017 turns out, but I'm much more in favor of using the draft over free agency particularly because of what we've seen the last two days - mediocre players getting massive deals. BA likes to underspend and get value picks and depend on the draft picks to build the team. I like that way as a major philosophy.

This is a better path for sustainable success than making Nate Solder the highest paid OL ever.

With our remaining cap space, I think we may be able to get both Mathieu and a Sheldon Richardson under contract, but that would be the end of FA IMO. That would leave RB, LG, ILB as big holes heading into the draft. Navarro Bowman on a cheap prove-it deal would be a nice sugar-coating as well. But hard to see.

Could you imagine our defense with Sheldon Richardson, Tyrann Mathieu and Navarro Bowman added for 2018? Also, with Richardson and Matheiu, you might be able to put their biggest years into 2020 when we have very few big contracts on the books (and when Norman and Kerrigan come off) ... and you could presumably absorb those in 2020 fairly easily.

20 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

Agreed but were you sold on Breeland after year 3 (he was atrocious)?  Or after his great year 2 (would have overpayed).  Or Long who struggled at LG his second year and his 3rd year was his first at center.  We don't ever have that consistency year to year with an individual player and something always seems to pop-up so your either going to overpay after a good year or roll the dice with extending someone who still hasn't shown the ability to be that C+/B- player (examples above).

Was I? No. But I watch 16 games per season and honestly don't really know what to look for. If we don't have talent evaluators who don't have a better sense for what we have in a player who's been in the building, practiced, and played here for 4 years, then we need new talent evaluators. 

Monster contract for HB coming....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000920332/article/tyrann-mathieu-asked-by-cardinals-to-take-pay-cut

1. Previous contract was 5yr $62m: "I suggested that he might wind up making more money on the open market if released than he would have with the Cardinals on his current contract. "My agent thinks so too," Mathieu said with a smile."

12 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Maclin also released. Got yards with Smith in KC. 

He still made the most incredible catch I've seen live.  And for a TD.  Vick threw a bomb during the Monday Night Massacre and it was clearly going to land 3 or 4 yards out of bounds.  Maclin snatched in and stayed in bounds.  It was incredible.  I know it was 8 years ago now but we could do worse.

Next year doesn't look great for Cap Space. WIth Spotrac I cut Vernon Davis, Terrell McClain and Stacy McGee in 2019 and it got us to $54 million, before Alex Smith's presumed $23m hit ... which would put us to $31m of space before we sign anyone from this year. Or our rookie deals hit the 2019 books.

2020 is a bit better. 2021 has almost all of our big deals expiring.

Josh Norman is likely the one that will bring relief, as would Jordan Reed. But it's still a blreak picture. But if you did bring in Tyrann and backloaded it for 2020 and 2021, having him Moreau, Dunbar, the 2 Josh's from last year ... could make moving on from Norman palatable. But would likely require some draft stock committed this and/or next year to prepare.

Just now, DC9 said:

He still made the most incredible catch I've seen live.  And for a TD.  Vick threw a bomb during the Monday Night Massacre and it was clearly going to land 3 or 4 yards out of bounds.  Maclin snatched in and stayed in bounds.  It was incredible.  I know it was 8 years ago now but we could do worse.

I don't know how much money he would command, but I would be totally find with him as a depth signing.  He probably doesn't have the top-end speed he use to, but as a veteran guy who knows the QB, played in a similar offense (Reid -> Jon Gruden -> Jay Gruden), wouldn't be the worst thing in the world...

If the money was right

2 minutes ago, PerryMason said:

Soooo good news? or....my initial feeling is that if he wasn't going to sign with us or wanted to see what else was out there, he'd definitely have other visits lined up? idk

JP said money was the hold-up.

He might be thinking if the juice is worth the squeeze.  Just my guess, anyway. 

1 hour ago, steve09ru said:

My guess would be that we'd rather not overpay average players when they can be replaced with younger talent already on the team or cheaper FAs that are similar.  You resign the core pieces (Kerrigan, Trent, Moses, Reed, etc.) and draft to replace the replaceable ones (Breeland, Murphy, etc.)

I guess you have a point. Cant keep everyone. 

Archived