Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

1 minute ago, Bonez3 said:

I agree, but I just see us regressing to the mean. Giving up Fuller was absurd. The prelim numbers for All Smith also inflated. 

But yea, I think for quite some time they have managed the cap great. If anything, its about all they do right.

I think I was more just saying, 'it's the Redskins, we'll get it wrong'. Just feels right to say anymore.

:ols:  Yeah I feel ya... It's exhausting sometimes.  

Cooley has studied tape a little, talking FA RBs.  I didn't catch all of it.  He likes Dion Lewis a lot.    He's 2nd favorite FA RB after L. Bell.  Then, after Lewis he likes McKinnon.  He thinks for the heavy set-duo stuff (Cooley doesn't like that run scheme) that Jay likes to run - L. Blount would fit the best.

Then Cooley-Sheehan goofs on their FA approach.  Joked that the scouts are spending all this time evaluating the best FAs but the team is unlikely to fish in that high end of the pool.   They've been mocking the Redskins approach to FA on and off for weeks now.  Hopefully Bruce is listening? :)

More Cooley.  He doesn't care for Hyde. 

He loves Landry.  He thinks he's an animal and brings attitude that he thinks this team desperately needs.  In his mind, too many quiet guys in that locker room especially on offense.   They need a dude like him who is smart, can line up everywhere and can give the whole team a kick in the pants.

He really likes Richardson.  Fast, dangerous.  He likes Albert Wilson in part because of his chemistry with Alex smith and he likely comes cheap.  He wouldn't just sign him but he would be the 2nd receiver he'd take in FA not the only one. 

He goofs on Ryan Grant saying the team's scouts will give him a D grade but coaches will give him an A. 

I'm slow to call Cooley's opinion too good. I know he played and watches tape well but he's still missing on a lot of these things.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/04/10/chris-cooley-redskins-are-having-their-best-free-agency-period-in-the-bruce-allen-era/?utm_term=.d38e4d0a0051

This is what he said last year:

“I think this has been the best offseason since Bruce has been here,” Cooley said.

“Here’s the deal: This free agency has already filled massive holes,” he said. “You didn’t sign either of your two receivers in Jackson and Garcon; you filled the hole with Terrelle Pryor. You hope Doctson is going to be a big player; if not you have Quick. You’re fine at receiver. You’re fine at playmaker now, absolutely fine, if not better than you were last year with Pryor. I love Pryor. I’ve loved him for a long period of time.

“You didn’t need to do anything else offensively. You really didn’t, other than a back,” Cooley argued. “You need a back. They are clearly in the market of drafting a back. That’s what a lot of this says to me, if not in the first round then in the second round. … And for what it’s worth, while you didn’t have a great back last year, you were very serviceable at the position. Very serviceable. Both backs still averaged over four yards a carry. Neither of them were special. Maybe you think Rob Kelley can grow, and I do; I think Rob Kelley can grow.

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

I'm slow to call Cooley's opinion too good. I know he played and watches tape well but he's still missing on a lot of these things.

Cooley isn't a perfect judge of talent.  No one is.   I think Cooley is a tough one to quote without listening to his takes day after day because he changes his mind and he's also willing to delve into grays in a way that we typically don't do here.  He also likes to give disclaimers to cover his butt since he's pals with players and also with Bruce.  He even jokes about it on air at times.

I recall for example you used one his segments recently to allude to the idea that Cooley is critical of Kirk.   My response is he's more or less critical of everyone.  He gives the positives and negatives on just about every dude.  Cooley talked about maybe they wanted Kirk to be more aggressive in practice in one segment and then in another recent one goes about how he sees Kirk is going to be "elite" at his next stint assuming he has the right coach.

You take one segment and he's riding Kerrigan and then in another he says he likes him.  But if you go through all of his stuff or most of it you typically get a good picture of what he's thinking -- right or wrong.

“Here’s the deal: This free agency has already filled massive holes,” he said. “You didn’t sign either of your two receivers in Jackson and Garcon; you filled the hole with Terrelle Pryor. You hope Doctson is going to be a big player; if not you have Quick. You’re fine at receiver. You’re fine at playmaker now, absolutely fine, if not better than you were last year with Pryor. I love Pryor. I’ve loved him for a long period of time.

Last year, he was mega sold on Swearinger (who he thought would be a star and can cover in spite of his rep as more of a strong safety), thought Zach Brown would be great but vulnerable versus the pass.  He thought Pryor would be great.  He thought McGee and McClain were just guys and he wouldn't have spent the money on them.  He thought Calais Campbell was an animal and he'd spend the money on him.

That's not a perfect take of it all.  But he ended up mostly right.  I recall him pounding Burton and K. Reyes before the season starting as being total busts-they ain't going anywhere.  That panned out, too.

Granted, he's shooting high with liking the better pedigree players and not the lesser pedigree ones.  That's easier to guess right.  But in his defense, that's Cooley's point.  Shoot higher and you are more likely to get it right.  Rather have 2 marquee players versus 4-5 guys that may or may not pan out.

I“You need a back. They are clearly in the market of drafting a back. That’s what a lot of this says to me, if not in the first round then in the second round. … And for what it’s worth, while you didn’t have a great back last year, you were very serviceable at the position. Very serviceable. Both backs still averaged over four yards a carry. Neither of them were special. Maybe you think Rob Kelley can grow, and I do; I think Rob Kelley can grow.

Perfect example of Cooley hedging.  I presume to avoid getting in trouble with his pals in the FO or Jay or whomever.   Because if you listen to most of his segments that off season (similar ironically to this off season -- it was RB, RB, RB, RB)  The idea of him not loving a young player but saying they can grow is covering your butt IMO.  Because I recall plenty of segments that off season where he was saying "the guy" at RB isn't on the roster.  He was far from in love with Kelley.

As he talked about even today, its tough for him to kill players.  He talked about how awkward it was once when he was killing Lauvao on air and then the dude walked right by him. 

So yeah bringing it home to now.  I am sure he will keep pounding the idea that they need a RB.  But if they don't get one.  I bet when the off season is over, it will be well I really think Perine can grow.:)

52 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cooley isn't a perfect judge of talent.  No one is.   I think Cooley is a tough one to quote without listening to his takes day after day because he changes his mind and he's also willing to delve into grays in a way that we typically don't do here.  He also likes to give disclaimers to cover his butt since he's pals with players and also with Bruce.  He even jokes about it on air at times.

Honestly, the question I was thinking as I wrote this is what about the option of Cooley as our next GM. Newsome, Mayhew, Williams, Elway and Lynch show that going from player to the front office isn't unheard of. Cooley's already involved with the game day and his film review, has some opinions and stuff. I wonder if that were the next thing in Snyder's bag of tricks, how the fans would accept it.

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Honestly, the question I was thinking as I wrote this is what about the option of Cooley as our next GM. Newsome, Mayhew, Williams, Elway and Lynch show that going from player to the front office isn't unheard of. Cooley's already involved with the game day and his film review, has some opinions and stuff. I wonder if that were the next thing in Snyder's bag of tricks, how the fans would accept it.

Personally, I wouldn’t hate it.  Though I would much prefer either an established guy, or a younger/newer guy that’s drawn rave reviews (like a Sean McVay type) - a protege of a talented GM.  I have serious doubts that Cooley would even really consider it.  I mean, he’d probably love the idea of being more involved with the team, but the pressure and time commitment...

Of course, I have no idea.  

18 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As he talked about even today, its tough for him to kill players.  He talked about how awkward it was once when he was killing Lauvao on air and then the dude walked right by him. 

This is where I struggle... I would wonder how much of the human side of it would be a part of his decision making.  He's openly said he struggles being critical... imagine when he's the one signing the checks and determining the rosters.  

30 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I actually like Cooley.  I'd go for it.  I confess part of it is his take and general thought process mirrors mine on many things so I am a bit biased in his favor.  Having said that I'd get the zoo aspect of the hire and skepticism about it -- because it would be another round of not going with a traditional GM.  

I can't help but grade Dan and the FO on a curve.  So would I want a more traditional type -- Dorsey, Scot type over Cooley?  Yes and by a mile.  However, do I trust Cooley running the FO over Bruce-Doug?  Yes and by a mile.   I depart I think with some others who typically agree with me on the FO but I see where they are coming from. So I get those who hate the idea.

Some key things that Cooley likes to say that I agree with:

A. Running game is key

B. This team needs some players with attitude

C.  Approach FA where you aim higher.  Quality over quantity

D. Water under the bridge but he was big time in making a deal with Kirk

E. 4-3 defense over 3-4.

F. Ziggy Hood isn't the type of nose you need to run a 3-4

Also, Cooley doesn't seem to be be wrapped up in his ego.  He comes likable.  I met him a couple of times -- cool dude.  And a big one for me -- he can admit when he's wrong. He doesn't double down or justify his wrong takes.  He will just own up to them.   Just like any subject, he hedges here and there on air -- but he's said before he sees things very similar to Scot and he agrees with most of his takes.

Ran through the FanSpeak Ultimate GM to see what players were commanding and who I could land within the cap constraints.

Re-Signs:

-  Edge Junior Galette: 3 years, $7.5 million

- Edge Trent Murphy: 3 years, $7.5 million

- ILB Zach Brown: 5 years, $28 million

- ILB Will Compton: 3 years, $3 million

- WR Ryan Grant: 3 years, $6 million

- NT Phil Taylor: 1 year, $1 million

Free Agents:

- DL Dominique Easley: 3 years, $4.5 million

- CB/S Lamarcus Joyner: 5 years, $20 million

- OG Andrew Norwell: 5 years, $40 million

- WR Paul Richardson: 5 years, $30 million

Left me with about $16 million, although it appears as though FanSpeak (powered by OTC I believe) back-loads the deals pretty heavily, so the Year 1 hits weren't bad.

Also, confirmed that the rough "need" for draft pick signings per the Top-51 contracts rule ends up being about $3-4 million + about $10 million for in-season maneuverability, and that leaves plenty of $$

26 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Ran through the FanSpeak Ultimate GM to see what players were commanding and who I could land within the cap constraints.

Re-Signs:

-  Edge Junior Galette: 3 years, $7.5 million

- Edge Trent Murphy: 3 years, $7.5 million

- ILB Will Compton: 3 years, $3 million

- NT Phil Taylor: 1 year, $1 million

Free Agents:

- DL Dominique Easley: 3 years, $4.5 million

- CB/S Lamarcus Joyner: 5 years, $20 million

Left me with about $16 million, although it appears as though FanSpeak (powered by OTC I believe) back-loads the deals pretty heavily, so the Year 1 hits weren't bad.

Also, confirmed that the rough "need" for draft pick signings per the Top-51 contracts rule ends up being about $3-4 million + about $10 million for in-season maneuverability, and that leaves plenty of $$

Spotrac has the draft pool at 6.5 - broken down per pick, so if we don’t actually sign all our picks it could be less.  

Including the draft pool, they have us at 31+ per the rule of 51 (so probably 30+ for 53).  Take out 10 for in-season work, that’s around 20 mil.  Looks like adding your average/year for the contracts would be about 33 mil.  My concerns there are the backloading you mentioned, plus what it means in terms of extending Scherff/Smith/Crowder.   Backloading is less of a deal if they aren’t likely to see those final years, but still...

Interesting stuff though.  

4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Spotrac has the draft pool at 6.5 - broken down per pick, so if we don’t actually sign all our picks it could be less.  

Including the draft pool, they have us at 31+ per the rule of 51 (so probably 30+ for 53).  Take out 10 for in-season work, that’s around 20 mil.  Looks like adding your average/year for the contracts would be about 33 mil.  My concerns there are the backloading you mentioned, plus what it means in terms of extending Scherff/Smith/Crowder.   Backloading is less of a deal if they aren’t likely to see those final years, but still...

Interesting stuff though.  

All depends on the guarantees or the structure of the contracts, I guess.

I do worry that signing someone like Norwell would handicap us since you'll be paying 4 OL-men top-dollar when you re-sign Scherff. In a perfect world, you would have a mid-round guy stepping in there to be a cheap option ... but our 3rd round pick is gone and I just can't see us spending a 1st or 2nd on guard.

Cooley is a guy who rather openly admits he's immune to working hard, back when he played and post-football.  He's openly said on his show that he really has no interest in scouting or coaching because he has no desire to start anywhere near the bottom.  Not that I think he'd have to do that here, but just that attitude alone is not the guy you want running your football team. 

I do respect his film breakdowns, it's a nice switch up for local sports radio.  I'd prefer to keep him on 980.

With that said, I would still probably take him over Doug.

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

Hey @Skinsinparadise - I may have missed it, but has Cooley given his priority list for FA/draft?

Cliff notes on it:

Love Le'veon Bell.  He'd pay him 15 million in a heartbeat if he hits FA.  Changes both the running game and passing game.  He doesn't care if it precludes them for being aggressive after that signing.

He likes Dion Lewis.  That's his 2nd favorite RB. 

Next would be McKinnon and then Crowell.   He doesn't like Hyde for this scheme.

He's not a big fan of the Redskins run scheme -- too power driven and it requires good blocking TEs and Wrs and they don't have the horses for it.  But if they are going to stick to that scheme, Blount fits it well.

He thinks Landry after Bell would be the next best signing.   He's a smart player.  He can line up anywhere.  He's a great blocker -- and this team's running game demands good blocking from their receivers even though none of them are good at it.  He brings some fire to an offense that has little fire. By fire he means both in personality and play.

Richardson he likes a lot.  That speed changes how safeties play you and opens up things underneath.

He's intrigued with Albert Wilson if they sign two receivers.  He wouldn't be the guy if they just sign one.

He thinks Norwell is a beast but isn't sure if the draft is the better way to go on O line.  But he loves Norwell if they go that path -- elite guard.  

15 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Cooley is a guy who rather openly admits he's immune to working hard, back when he played and post-football.  He's openly said on his show that he really has no interest in scouting or coaching because he has no desire to start anywhere near the bottom.  Not that I think he'd have to do that here, but just that attitude alone is not the guy you want running your football team. 

I do respect his film breakdowns, it's a nice switch up for local sports radio.  I'd prefer to keep him on 980.

With that said, I would still probably take him over Doug.

Yeah I was going to mention something about work ethic but held back.  Cooley has talked on air about not liking coaching because he doesn't want to put in crazy time so I'd presume that would apply to the FO, too.

For me though its not "probably" I'd take him over Doug.  In all my time listening to Doug, I can't recall one thing of insight he's ever said about personnel.  By that I don't mean that he doesn't have insight but it makes me wonder when Grant and others who have said that their sources tell them he's an impressive person but unimpressive personnel guy.  Cooley on the other hand is brimming with insight. 

And like I said thinking back on most of what he said over the years, he's been fairly on the money.

Is he my ideal GM candidate?  Nope.  But it reassures me a little to have someone with a philosophy I agree with (and runs counter at times to this FO) and that I know is sharp and doesn't seem bogged down in ego nonsense.  

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He thinks Landry after Bell would be the next best signing.   He's a smart player.  He can line up anywhere.  He's a great blocker -- and this team's running game demands good blocking from their receivers even though none of them are good at it.  He brings some fire to an offense that has little fire. By fire he means both in personality and play.

My God we'd be all over these 2 if they hit FA. 

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

My guess on what these get would be

Brown 4/30 we get him back

Grant 3/9....this place melts down

Norwell 5/55 to the Giants

Richardson 4/32 to somewhere not here

10 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Brown 4/30 we get him back

Grant 3/9....this place melts down

Norwell 5/55 to the Giants

Richardson 4/32 to somewhere not here

I could see all of these being more accurate than what I got. FanSpeak is cool but a little inaccurate in some instances.

No one has really talked much about Lev Bell and the assumption has been that if he leaves he goes to Oakland or the Jets. That would be quite the splashy signing. Love Bell. Would instantly make our offense better. But it would be a very ... old Skins signing.

7 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I could see all of these being more accurate than what I got. FanSpeak is cool but a little inaccurate in some instances.

No one has really talked much about Lev Bell and the assumption has been that if he leaves he goes to Oakland or the Jets. That would be quite the splashy signing. Love Bell. Would instantly make our offense better. But it would be a very ... old Skins signing.

The Steelers are already restructuring deals to create cap space. Think they are still struggling though. Can see them making cuts to accommodate Bell. At the very least they will tag, which he doesn't want, but i would be amazed if he hits FA.

8 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

@RWJmy guess is we don't want to burn cap space until we play games with Kirk on the tag....i don't want to derail this thread onto Kirk tho...

I understand on KC but I think that won't be an issue.  We shall find out between 2/20 - 3/6 though.  

Archived