Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

11 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Similar results in VA with massive rural turnout and Stewart winning 200k more votes than Warner did in 2014. 

Last night sucked. Look, Dems flipped the House and did really well in a lot of races. There’s a check on Trump now. But more than anything, last night showed us what our new political reality is. Rural turnout for Republicans in the Trump era, combined with House gerrymandering and the inherent structural advantage of the Senate, is going to make it REALLY challenging if not impossible for Democrats to hold control of the government for the foreseeable future. We are facing permanent minority rule in the country. 

Random thoughts, no order.

Democrats probably lost the 2020 senate race last night. Too many seats to flip. 

A Trump re-election in 2020 is more possible than I thought before. Dems may pull within 2-5% in OH, FL, TX and win CA by 30%. You could legitimately see Trump lose the popular vote by somewhere between 5-10% and still have enough electoral votes to get over the hump. This is a really bad situation. 

Even if Dems take the WH in 2020, will McConnell fill a SCOTUS seat for Ginsberg’s replacement (assuming she can hang in there for two more years)? I’m not sure he will. And there’s not a thing Democrats will be able to do about it. This is a really bad situation. 

TL;DR- our system of government is totally and completely ****ed. 

It won't be easy.

The Senate: How 2018 sets up 2020

11 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

If the census plays out as predicted, the Dem nominee will have to win those 3 states, hold every state Hillary won, and still have to pick off 10-12 more electoral votes.

The Census won't affect the 2020 race. The Census will affect the 2024 race.  The lines won't be redrawn until 2021.

54 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Absolutely not.  In the world of global politics any game of chicken is a bad idea.  But if stuff in America gets too weird, are you sure other countries will sell food to our urban areas and sure they will still afford it?

Rural folk are more adapt to survive without outside help.  I don't think anyone argues that.  And that is why America shouldn't tell their rural citizens to shut up and take whatever because they don't have enough bodies to pull a popular vote. 

Another comforting myth, the supposed rural states once might have but nowadays depend on an awful lot of resources from the scary "outside".

8 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

It would be stupid for the Dems to just announce investigations. 

The smart move would be to start with supported things like infrastructure. Load that up with rules that make money going that way to be triple checked against corruption and shady dealings. Then move on to basic rules for all elected officials on disclosure and disconnection from personal gain by abusing their positions. Never mention Trump by name. Steal the whole "drain the swamp" but focus it on protecting the taxpayer. These are easy wins. 

The last move is...... pick photogenic and lesser know Dems who are strong speakers with positive messages to give as many upbeat interviews on potential ideas that speak to middle America. Every week. Don't pick fights right away. Don't get sucked into the caravan and guns talk. It's a losing topic right now.

The GOP wants.....needs a fight right now. Can't do that or the Dems will lose any message.

That's a fact. 

They've already announced some investigations.

I saw let the investigations come to them.  It's pretty easy that Trump and his cronies will do even more stuff to bring about investigations.  When Mueller gets fired, that should bring about impeachment hearings. You investigate in such a way that highlights the corruptions of the Trump administration.  Drain the swamp my ass.  

Also, do what you said about things that they can find common ground on like infrastructure.  Pass bills that set up the issues for 2020. You know that Trump and  the GOP won't pass.

2 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

I think more people should be talking about Schumer. His plan to save red state Dems was a failure and he has no fight in him. He's not a wartime consigliere. Gimme Dick Durbin or bring back Harry Reid.

Only 1/3 of the Senate was up for election and it heavily favored Republicans.   The 2020 map looks a bit more favorable, with 21 Republicans having to defend vs 12 Democrats. 

https://www.rollcall.com/news/gonzales/its-not-too-early-to-start-looking-at-the-2020-senate-map

Of course, I wouldn't expect Doug Jones to retain his seat in Alabama, as it took an almost Herculean effort in order for the Republican to lose.  But who knows, Republicans may shoot themselves in the foot in the primaries again. ?   There are alot more opportunities for Democrats to pickup seats and not many places where they will have to play defense.

A Mississippi Man Wore A Violently Racist Shirt To Vote In The Midterms

Ashleigh Parker was in line to vote on Tuesday when she noticed a man in front of her wearing a T-shirt with a Confederate flag, the image of a noose, and the words “Mississippi Justice.”

sub-buzz-25806-1541610435-2.jpg?downsize

Parker watched the man walk over to what she said was a voting machine, and at that moment another voter who was disgusted by what they saw began taking photos.

“When I saw him I wanted to say something, but my mom was like, ‘Don’t say anything,’ so I took a picture and posted it on Facebook,” Rashaud told BuzzFeed News by phone. (He asked not to be identified by his full name because of safety concerns. He later deleted his Facebook post.)

Rashaud said it was shocking to see someone wearing that shirt, especially in a polling station.

“It’s crazy — they try to say the rebel flag is not racist, but to have a noose on the rebel flag, it’s like, what are you trying to say?” Rashaud said. “It just shocks me that people feel it’s OK to come out in public like this. I was just kind of shook up.”

As the photo spread, people began identifying the man as Clayton John Hickey, a registered nurse who works at a hospital in Memphis and lives in Olive Branch, Mississippi, where the photo was taken. Public records confirm Hickey is an RN, and that he lives in Olive Branch.

Prior to becoming a nurse, Hickey was a Memphis police officer. He left that job after being arrested in Olive Branch in 2010 and charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor. He was found with a 17-year-old girl and open alcohol. (It’s unclear what the outcome of the case was.)

Click on the link for the full article

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

So the guy that was a cop who was trying to get a 17 year old girl drunk so he could take advantage of her (I'm assuming) can qualify to be a nurse?

if not convicted, hell might even be legal there(aside from alcohol law....which is bizarre imo)

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

^^^Point to what yall are talking about pls

:ols:  the last part of the preceeding post

Prior to becoming a nurse, Hickey was a Memphis police officer. He left that job after being arrested in Olive Branch in 2010 and charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor. He was found with a 17-year-old girl and open alcohol. (It’s unclear what the outcome of the case was.)

20 minutes ago, twa said:

:ols:  the last part of the preceeding post

Yea my bad I didnt even read that post. Saw the shirt and wasnt suprised so I kept it moving. 

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

So the guy that was a cop who was trying to get a 17 year old girl drunk so he could take advantage of her (I'm assuming) can qualify to be a nurse?

In certain parts of the country,it's probably encouraged. On his job application he probably referenced the incident saying that he was an expert in alternate anesthia. 

17 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Democratic voters accounted for 9 million more total votes than Republican voters, and the result.....(R)'s pick up more Senate Seats, but no, our system isn't broke.....at all. 

They should probably move if it truly bothers them.....I hear Maine is recruiting.

18 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Democratic voters accounted for 9 million more total votes than Republican voters, and the result.....(R)'s pick up more Senate Seats, but no, our system isn't broke.....at all. 

You're  talking about the Senate. 

You might not like the way the Senate is set up, but it's absolutely not gerrymandered, and the rules were set up before the parties even existed. 

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Lacy McBath won the 6th District in Georgia seat. Newt Gingrich's old seat. Amazing scenes.

Had no idea she was Jordan Davis' mom. Davis was murdered by a crazy gun-toting white man who thought he was playing his music too loud at a gas station in Florida in 2012.

Oh yeah, y'all...that's the district where I work. 

Karen Handel tried to walk toward me at a food festival last month and I backed her off with an evil glare. ?

30 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Center-left liberalism triumphs over the whackos running on far-left platforms.

a) LOL at whackos. Corporate Dems are the worst

b) Did the DNC and state Dems offer equal assistance in those races? In MD for instance, the state Dems only offered to help Jealous in early October. The most populated county is Montgomery County and Issac Leggett, the outgoing county exec, gave a tepid endorsement late in the game while saying he is friends with Hogan.

Miss me with all of that.

Archived