Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

2 minutes ago, Larry said:

After listening to political advertising here for the last three months, it's amazing to me.  Every single Republican candidate not only supports coverage for pre-existing conditions, but every one of them has actually voted for it.  

According to their commercials.  

Seen it, too, TV stations should be ashamed of themselves taking that money to play them

Just now, tshile said:

Yeah I’m really just laughing at the notion that if you are inconvenienced by more than 5 minutes to vote it’s because someone is suppressing your rights. 

The extreme takes are usually amusing. 

Very different then trying to intentional consolidate polling stations and under resource them. Think every polling station should be equipped to handle max turnout, not expected turnout.  Takes care of a lot of that, convo of voting district needing more polling stations, too.

17 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

If education is your only concern, why are you voting for Hogan?

Hogan cut state funding for Balt City, who receives a HUGE disproportionate share vs Howard Co  .. I came from Balt City, they dont know where the money is going and if throwing money at the problem is the answer, city schools would have been fixed long ago.

Im a reptile. I only worry about me and my own.

Ben Jealous

-raise teacher pay by 29% .. thats a **** ton of a raise, for people who I feel make decent money, get good benefits already.

- fund full day universal pre K ... does that mean everyone? I interpret "universal" as everyone, regardless of whether they make money.  My experience with trying to find county day care was that low income families got priority and they are fully fully booked with low income and I was left to spend over 1k a month on pre K. Kinda ****ty feeling knowing you pay property tax and all that but you get punished because of it. I just wanted to get my kid into the preK center down the street from us. instead I had ot pay a private place that was a drive away.

My kid is in the 1st grade so pre K doesnt effect me anymore but i do feel universal pre K should be a thing. helps parents get to work, everyone is in the same boat and you arent prioritizing low income over families who make more than 21k a year.

- wants to legalize and tax weed .. all for that.

I am going to vote jealous.

12 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Again, why is it so hard to vote? Why should anyone have to wait an hour? 

Some professors from Northern Illinois and Jacksonville University studied the cost of voting going back to the Bill Clinton election and determined, among other things, that VA is the second worst state in the country when it comes to ease of voting.  We put up more barriers than almost anyone else.  First and perhaps worst is the three week registration barrier we have here.  That's longer than anywhere else, and a ton of places do same day registration or automatic registration.  Another barrier is that our absentee voting is extremely limited and restrictive.  There's also no early voting here, so far as I know.

And many times there just aren't enough polling places, especially in urban areas.  In 2016, I waited in line for two hours starting at 10 AM.  But that was nothing compared to what the polling place went through in 2008, where one of the volunteers told me the line was four hours long at its peak.  That is ****ing crazy.

Virginia's big concession to make voting easier?  Online registration... which didn't come until 2013.  This state is absurd.  It's gerrymandered to Hell and made intentionally difficult to vote here.

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

Yeah I’m really just laughing at the notion that if you are inconvenienced by more than 5 minutes to vote it’s because someone is suppressing your rights. 

Just so we're clear, you are okay with 1hr waits to vote at polling locations in some states? Because..volunteers and a what can we do about it, let's just accept it views?

Or are you just fixated on the 5-10 minute thing?

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

Just so we're clear, you are okay with 1hr waits to vote at polling locations in some states? Because..volunteers and a what can we do about let's just accept it views?

I’m standing in line right now. I’m guessing 30  minutes 

id prefer less but if this means more people are voting I’ll accept it. 

Im not going to cry voter surpression though. :ols:

even if I did no one would care. I’m a white male in a rural county that’s republican by default. The voters rights people don’t care about me. 

1 minute ago, brandymac27 said:

So this is gonna sound really cheesy, but me and my 18 yo son just voted together. Its his first election, and he was soooo excited lol. I'm so proud of him and glad I got to share this experience with him! 

Proud mama moment ? 

That's a good thing you've done.  Establishing regular voting habits is one of the more important things a person can do early in adulthood.  We want his generation to grow up as habitual voters.

The tiny country of Estonia somehow figured out a secure way of online voting in response to Russian election interference. 

Voting should be done through an app. We can make it happen, but as usual, there is little to no political will to do good civic programs anywhere in this country.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That's a good thing you've done.  Establishing regular voting habits is one of the more important things a person can do early in adulthood.  We want his generation to grow up as habitual voters.

Absolutely! He's been really excited about finally being able to vote, and he's been talking to his friends helping them get registered if they weren't, getting absentee ballots ( they're freshmen in college) etc. I'm really proud of him!

12 minutes ago, tshile said:

What I'm interested in is Trump's whole tweet about DOJ folks watching "very closely" at certain locations.  One of them is Fairfax County.  Has anyone in Farifax seen these DOJ lurkers?  I'm voting this evening but I'm taking my Fed credentials.  I'm almost hoping someone asks me anything so I can whip them out and tell them to get the **** out of my way. :)

3 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

The tiny country of Estonia somehow figured out a secure way of online voting in response to Russian election interference. 

Voting should be done through an app. We can make it happen, but as usual, there is little to no political will to do good civic programs anywhere in this country.

Show me the carfax, please.

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

The Ted Cruz vs Triump battle was over before it started. Who knew Cruz was such a mental lightweight?

Anyone that ever had any interaction with him or even saw him for any length of time on TV?

It's amazing that such an unlikable scumbag can be so successful in politics.

17 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Some professors from Northern Illinois and Jacksonville University studied the cost of voting going back to the Bill Clinton election and determined, among other things, that VA is the second worst state in the country when it comes to ease of voting.  We put up more barriers than almost anyone else.  First and perhaps worst is the three week registration barrier we have here.  That's longer than anywhere else, and a ton of places do same day registration or automatic registration.  Another barrier is that our absentee voting is extremely limited and restrictive.  There's also no early voting here, so far as I know.

And many times there just aren't enough polling places, especially in urban areas.  In 2016, I waited in line for two hours starting at 10 AM.  But that was nothing compared to what the polling place went through in 2008, where one of the volunteers told me the line was four hours long at its peak.  That is ****ing crazy.

Virginia's big concession to make voting easier?  Online registration... which didn't come until 2013.  This state is absurd.  It's gerrymandered to Hell and made intentionally difficult to vote here.

Yea, the big one is the no early voting in VA and needing an excuse to vote absentee.

The funny thing is that all of these restrictions are intended to disenfranchise minority voters (who vote Dem), but to do that you have to aim restrictions at the poor and poorly educated.  In Virginia, that skews the election towards the wealthy and well educated who (1) can figure out the rules and (2) have jobs where they can take off and go vote without too much trouble.  The wealthy and well-educated of Virginia are NoVa liberals and there are a ton of them. 

Being a NoVa liberal, literally, here is the email it got from my employer:

As everyone knows, tomorrow is election day.  We wanted to let employees know that they have the flexibility to modify their schedule tomorrow if they need to in order to make it to their polling place during the hours that it is open. 

Two of the jurisdictions where we have offices, California and NY, have laws that require us to accommodate an employee’s need for time off (paid leave up to two hours) in order to vote, and of course we are happy to do so.  We are also happy to provide a similar accommodation to our employees in DC and Illinois. 

14 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Que?

You said Estonia has a secure online voting system, I'd like to see what you are talking about. The thing about hacking is finding the weakest link, in which wouldnt be the servers, itd be the devices that do the voting.  I'd put bots via Trojans and XSS on as many laptops and desktops as i could over there if I was Russia, apparently citizens can change their vote up to election day, is that true?

Why does it seem "mechanical" malfunctions always favor Republicans in R controlled states?

In Texas, the straight D vote put Cruz as nominee.

Now in Georgia, a Democratic  county (2nd largest county in GA) that voted for Clinton ... is suddenly having machine issues and they need to bring new ones in while expecting everyone to just wait hours and hours in line ...

https://www.foxnews.com/us/midterm-election-voters-in-contentious-georgia-county-facing-difficulties

Message sent....straight ticket first time ever.

30811838917_9bd3c01ed8_b.jpg

And yes, in Kentucky I can photograph my ballot.

Kentucky: "We don't have a prohibition on people taking selfies. However, there is a prohibition in recording other people voting," says Bradford Queen of the Office of Kentucky's Secretary of State.”

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/11/02/us/taking-selfies-when-voting-laws-in-states-trnd/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Archived